a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Congrats Arsene

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13797
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Congrats Arsene

Post by MadAmster on Sat 27 May 2017, 7:51 pm

Always tried to play the game the right way and, if this is your last Gooners game, you went out on a high.
    swadieram

Number of posts : 1233
    Registration date : 2009-04-22

Re: Congrats Arsene

Post by swadieram on Sat 27 May 2017, 7:59 pm

Enjoyed the gamm, good ref !

Last edited by swadieram on Sun 28 May 2017, 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5342
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 27 May 2017, 9:31 pm

I was an hour behind, MA, but have just FB posted:

"Another Villa record consigned to history. Just the seven F A Cup wins, Sir Alex. Oh, and an undefeated season. Arsene Wenger, man of vision, integrity, talent, bravery and honour, we salute you.

I was screaming "Keep the ball" for 30 minutes, but true to Arsene's and Arsenal's integrity, they went for the second/third. That is how football should be played."
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23111
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 28 May 2017, 2:31 am

Cracking game.

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11215
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 28 May 2017, 10:35 am

Don't like Arsenal, don't like Wenger.

They encapsulete exactly what's wrong with football today, fourth place is good enough, no need to strive to finish higher, the money keeps rolling in so get to christmas in first or second and then free wheel until May.

Wenger has taken the p*ss this year, disrespecting the fans by playing footsie with the media. "I'm not telling you whether I'm leaving or not, you're going to have to wait and see". Their failure to reach the top four is entirely down to him and his failure to clear the situation up.
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Sun 28 May 2017, 10:44 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:Don't like Arsenal, don't like Wenger.

They encapsulete exactly what's wrong with football today, fourth place is good enough, no need to strive to finish higher, the money keeps rolling in so get to christmas in first or second and then free wheel until May.

Wenger has taken the p*ss this year, disrespecting the fans by playing footsie with the media. "I'm not telling you whether I'm leaving or not, you're going to have to wait and see". Their failure to reach the top four is entirely down to him and his failure to clear the situation up.

To offer a different opinion...

I like Wenger, and I love watching Arsenal.

A manager who refuses to pay ridiculous sums of money for players and one who believes you should only pay for a player what they are worth.
    He likes to play youth also.

He runs Arsenal as a business as that is what modern football is and continually makes a profit for his shareholders.

He demands his teams play attractive football and they are always the most, or among the most watchable sides in European Football.

He is loyal to his employers and to his players.

I have nothing but admiration for the record breaking job he has done and he will go down as one of the greatest managers ever to have graced the English game.

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 28 May 2017, 11:14 am

When Swindon got into the Premiership under Hoddle, they played wonderfully attractive football, but you need more in my opinion. Nice football has to have an end product and the players shouldn't be able to hide in the tough games, whilst destroying the other 'nice' teams, and that is down to the manager. He bought them, he forms the tactics and he sets the targets.

I can see your points and the prices in football are embarrassingly astronomically but unilaterally deciding that you aren't going to buy over priced players leads to a situation that we have at the moment where money rather than winning trophies is taking over football, right through the leagues.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 28 May 2017, 11:41 am

I get your point too Loughie. The playoffs were introduced to try and keep more clubs' seasons alive for longer and that ought to generate higher gates for longer.

Promotion from the SBC to the PL is a prize in itself, however, as nice as it is to win a trophy and promotion at Wembley, fans everywhere want, first and foremost, to be top dogs and win the SBC to gain promotion.

You have to feel for the 2nd placed team as they are the only one of the three promoted teams without a trophy...... so, should promotion at Wembley be seen as a big enough prize and that no silverware is presented?

Can, worms, stir........
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3715
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sun 28 May 2017, 12:39 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Don't like Arsenal, don't like Wenger.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. An alternative view would be that it's good to see someone refusing to pay crazy money to sign 'top' players like Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea are always so eager to do.

The £100m transfer isn't far away, one of those three will pay it and the bar will be raised that bit higher across the board once again.

In my opinion Wenger's time at Arsenal will be judged very positively.

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 28 May 2017, 12:52 pm

Oh undoubtedly it will Bram and rightly so. But personally I think that he left the job half done a good few years ago when their ambition became limited to a top four spot and an occasional FA Cup win. That would be more than enough for 95% of pro teams but for a team that used to win the league it's not good enough for me.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 29 May 2017, 9:10 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:Oh undoubtedly it will Bram and rightly so. But personally I think that he left the job half done a good few years ago when their ambition became limited to a top four spot and an occasional FA Cup win. That would be more than enough for 95% of pro teams but for a team that used to win the league it's not good enough for me.

Time was when winning the Cup was just as important as winning the League. Some may argue more so.
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2077
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Tue 30 May 2017, 1:29 pm

and they actually were paying for the new stadium when it was only silly money sloshing around the premiershite - now it is bat shit mental money Spurs may kick on and replace them as the top team in narf landon

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 Nov 2017, 9:26 pm