a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Curtis Davies in

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 10994
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Curtis Davies in

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:21 am

On a two year deal with an option for another. Loooks good business, he ticks most boxes. Big lad, reasonably quick, threatening at corners, experience at Premiersh*t and fa cup final level, been captain for most of his career and he only cost £500,000.

I find it hard to see a down side
    whestonram

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 226
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Re: Curtis Davies in

Post by whestonram on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 10:32 am

Yes, I think its a good signing for that sort of money. Good omen for future business as well, that we could get him
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13333
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 12:27 pm

Someone I know who is verging on the inside says Grant Hanley is next...........

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 636
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 2:50 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:

May result in letting go of Richard Keogh?
    Stirring the pot

"Of all the unimportant things in life, football is by far the most important."

--attributed to Pope John Paul II; said to me many times by my old man.
    Loughborough Ram

Number of posts : 10994
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 2:51 pm

I still think we'll end up playing three at the back, and if we do I think that Keogh should be part of that.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 3:13 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:On a two year deal with an option for another. Loooks good business, he ticks most boxes. Big lad, reasonably quick, threatening at corners, experience at Premiersh*t and fa cup final level, been captain for most of his career and he only cost £500,000.

Let's hope the option isn't one he can trigger like the Bent and Baird options.

Gary Rowett's black & white army! The only certainty is we're all barmy LOL roll
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4298
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 5:30 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:On a two year deal with an option for another. Loooks good business, he ticks most boxes. Big lad, reasonably quick, threatening at corners, experience at Premiersh*t and fa cup final level, been captain for most of his career and he only cost £500,000.

But why not 'Ammy? At the price we paid he's a snip for the ability and level of experience Curtis Davies brings, bet after agreeing monetary terms he virtually wrote his own contract.
    KeoghKeogh

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 6:14 pm

This can't be right... what's happened to spending £5M plus on a few more midfielders or widemen?

... Now we've got a manager who has watched the team play a fair few times and seems able to see the glaringly obvious.

Long may it continue.
    KeoghKeogh

Post by KeoghKeogh on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 6:16 pm

Plus, it's not Claude.

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6177

Post by CornwallRam on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 7:03 pm

Not an exciting signing, but many of the best ones aren't. The defence is looking a bit geriatric at this point though. I hope we see some younger players coming at some point.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1214
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 9:14 pm

Don't like the 'option' clause! we seem to have problems with those Bang head
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 8:17 am

SawleyRam wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

But why not 'Ammy? At the price we paid he's a snip for the ability and level of experience Curtis Davies brings, bet after agreeing monetary terms he virtually wrote his own contract.

Simple arithmetic Sawls. He is costing little so you can expect his wages to be ample. 2 year contract plus a 1 year option. In 2 years he will be 34. Hopefully, he would no longer be a 1st choice for us in the PL and he would be a high wage earner on the fringes of the squad by then. I would not be happy with him being able to trigger an option clause if he wasn't close to being a guaranteed starter and/or no longer wanted by the club. Rowett may, or may not, want Bent but Bent was able to trigger the clause..... regardless of GR's thoughts. Not a good idea IMO.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 8:24 am

There was some talk in another thread yesterday on whether a new player should be captain. Views ranged from "the armband has to be earned" to "the skipper is the Manager's representative on the pitch so you pick the best man for the job".

Just read on the OS that Rowett thinks the following of Davies......
    Gary Rowett wrote:He is a leader, a talker and an organiser but the big thing for me is that he is a really good character. He is a good guy and comes highly recommended by people who have worked with him.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/rowett-no-better-option-than-curtis-3729505.aspx#eKh7rtbcyUqe5vDB.99

Certainly makes him sound more Captain material than someone who maybe looks like a rabbit in the headlights throwing his arms in the air berating people........

IMO, Rowett will choose someone who will represent him on the park. Be an extension of him there.

The quote from the OS points to Davies being a reasonable candidate.

rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 1898
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 11:52 am

cracking signing in an area we could do with adding quality to
    Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10178
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 12:29 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

Simple arithmetic Sawls. He is costing little so you can expect his wages to be ample. 2 year contract plus a 1 year option. In 2 years he will be 34. Hopefully, he would no longer be a 1st choice for us in the PL and he would be a high wage earner on the fringes of the squad by then. I would not be happy with him being able to trigger  an option clause if he wasn't close to being a guaranteed starter and/or no longer wanted by the club. Rowett may, or may not, want Bent but Bent was able to trigger the clause..... regardless of GR's thoughts. Not a good idea IMO.

if he is no longer first choice at the end of his 2 years then any Bent type option would not be triggered anyway
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 2:04 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

Simple arithmetic Sawls. He is costing little so you can expect his wages to be ample. 2 year contract plus a 1 year option. In 2 years he will be 34. Hopefully, he would no longer be a 1st choice for us in the PL and he would be a high wage earner on the fringes of the squad by then. I would not be happy with him being able to trigger  an option clause if he wasn't close to being a guaranteed starter and/or no longer wanted by the club. Rowett may, or may not, want Bent but Bent was able to trigger the clause..... regardless of GR's thoughts. Not a good idea IMO.

if he is no longer first choice at the end of his 2 years then any Bent type option would not be triggered anyway

Depends on the content of the clause. Bent reached his goals and playing time target well before Rowett joined Derby.

If the clause is, say, a minimum of 25 appearances in that second season, he starts the opening 25 games and gets an injury in the 26th he can't seem to get over and doesn't play again........

Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10178
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 12:45 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

Depends on the content of the clause. Bent reached his goals and playing time target well before Rowett joined Derby.

If the clause is, say, a minimum of 25 appearances in that second season, he starts the opening 25 games and gets an injury in the 26th he can't seem to get over and doesn't play again........

But then he would be a first choice until the injury. Your post said if he wasn't an automatic choice it would be wrong to take up the option
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 2:38 pm

Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

But then he would be a first choice until the injury. Your post said if he wasn't an automatic choice it would be wrong to take up the option

Players triggering clauses regardless of the club's/manager's wishes is not a good idea IMO. Is my first quote. I may have been less than clear and not covered all the bases on the 2nd one. Apologies for any confusion.

Basically, I think one sided clauses like the one Bent used are not a good idea. Bent would not be someone I would keep at the club. He may still go....... as it is we will be paying his wages next season, or possibly a % of them if we loan him out and I don't expect him to play very much at all.

KeoghKeogh

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 12:02 pm

Davies will be captain
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4298
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 12:08 am

MadAmster wrote:
    Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

Players triggering clauses regardless of the club's/manager's wishes is not a good idea IMO. Is my first quote. I may have been less than clear and not covered all the bases on the 2nd one. Apologies for any confusion.

Basically, I think one sided clauses like the one Bent used are not a good idea. Bent would not be someone I would keep at the club. He may still go....... as it is we will be paying his wages next season, or possibly a % of them if we loan him out and I don't expect him to play very much at all.

I agree very much on your summary of Bent 'Ammy but an agreed number of goals beforehand and an achievement of that target to give Bent the right to trigger another year deserves some recognition of his skills. He is and will be surplus to requirements this coming season but if we can offload him as a free that would be the perfect solution. (As happened from Villa)
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3587
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 10:06 pm

My only concern would be his fitness record. He was out for eight weeks in January with a hamstring injury.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 7:53 am