New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23079
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Cake

Post by New England Ram on Wed 28 Jun 2017, 9:19 pm

So it's been established through all the distraught posts and comments that we have lost our one true flair player or creator.
    As some saw the other night when Hughes was playing for the under 21s he turned it on.
    But of course he was playing on what passed for a team of best young English players.
    Playing for Derby he wasn't surrounded by talent throughout the team.

Most of us agree that we need to go in another direction.
    Personally I have said for a long time I thought we needed to be bigger stronger and faster.
    We were never going to be able to build that kind of team around Hughes and of late I think we have been guilty of not knowing what style or tactics to use.

Is it better and easier for us to try and recreate our identity and style hopefully making us solid and effective and once that's established add some flair.
    As opposed to trying to keep a Hughes type player and trying to accommodate him.

I think we need to get some solid layers then add some icing.

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11177
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Re: Cake

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 28 Jun 2017, 9:53 pm

Like you NER I think that we need to draw a line in the sand and start over regardless of which direction we go. We've been through a period where we have had a lot of confused thinking with too many managers with seemingly confused ideas of how to get the best out of the collection of mis matched players.

I do feel that Rowett can unify the squad as long as he is able to trade a few ins and outs, and I think that he is a very clear thinker who won't over complicate the message to the players, which is needed. He is building from the back and with Nugent, Vydra and Martin in the squad I'm not too worried about our ability to score goals, especially if he can bring in a bit of quality in that key central midfield playmaker role, which I'm sure he'll be targetting in the next few weeks.

I'm positive at the moment.
    Geordie Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1977
    First ever game : 1981 or 2? Rams v Oldham?
    Number of posts : 357
    Registration date : 2010-10-01

Post by Geordie Ram on Wed 28 Jun 2017, 11:00 pm

It's a made up drug.
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 615
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Thu 29 Jun 2017, 12:18 am

Geordie Ram wrote:It's a made up drug.
    Yeah, i remember that one  LOL
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5265
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Thu 29 Jun 2017, 6:31 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:Like you NER I think that we need to draw a line in the sand and start over regardless of which direction we go. We've been through a period where we have had a lot of confused thinking with too many managers with seemingly confused ideas of how to get the best out of the collection of mis matched players.

I do feel that Rowett can unify the squad as long as he is able to trade a few ins and outs, and I think that he is a very clear thinker who won't over complicate the message to the players, which is needed. He is building from the back and with Nugent, Vydra and Martin in the squad I'm not too worried about our ability to score goals, especially if he can bring in a bit of quality in that key central midfield playmaker role, which I'm sure he'll be targetting in the next few weeks.

I'm positive at the moment.

Spot on. Loughie.

Stats indicated that we were as tight as a gnat's aris defensively, but I maintain they can be damned lies at times.  When push comes to shove, that back line can't cope. Season after season, we conceded and have been error strewn in key springtime games in particular. Its clearly the mindset.

GR has his 2 new centre halves, he is looking for a GT clone, and we have the firepower now Martin is back to add to Nugent and Vydra, regardless of whether Paul Ince's offspring stays or goes.

The right things are being said - and more importantly, done.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13666
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Thu 29 Jun 2017, 8:15 am

The King is dead.....

I have had much pleasure watching Hughes grow from his very first start which I was fortunate enough to see live. He has been a joy to watch with the occasional cringe for which he was forgiven due to his youth. Players come and players go, well, 99.9% do. This is the right time for Will to dip his toe in the PL waters. Whether Watford is the right team to do it with is far from certain. It is also the right time for Derby. The likelihood of getting most of a season out of GT (he has done it before.... once) and the return of Martin ease the "pain".

I will follow his career closely but DTID..........

........... long live the King.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15770
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Thu 29 Jun 2017, 3:55 pm

I like the signings that GR has made so far - Davies and Wisdom.

But I can't see how we're going to improve on last season's pathetic Goals For
    total of 54 (our worst since 2011/12). Even with Hughes, we didn't create nearly
    enough decent openings for the forwards. Having Martin back won't make much
    difference unless we make more and better chances. Last season, when our slow
    motion passing game failed, we resorted to lobbing hopeful long balls far too often,
    which doesn't suit our forwards and rarely troubled even weak defences.

What's left of our midfield looks mainly defensive and rrather lacking in the skill and
    imagination needed to make us a real attacking threat. I don't expect anyone in
    the Hughes' mould but we need someone to galvanize the midfield. I'd love that to
    be Thorne but I no longer have much hope of his playing often enough in a season.

Fingers crossed that GR can sign someone affordable to fit the bill.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 29 Jun 2017, 4:13 pm

Having said he wants to trim the size of the squad as 29/30 is too many to manage AND it denies Academy products the chance to prove themselves, GR seems to be intimating that quite a few more will exit, be that as sales, loans out or mutually consensual contract terminations. That will also give us the chance to bring some in.

His words give me the impression that a minimum of 6 more, but probably more, will go before the end of the transfer window and I would expect no more than 3 incoming.

What we require are MFs who can pass forwards as well as backwards and sideways, accurately. Wingers who can go past their man on both the inside and the outside and then pass the ball.

Leaders? Curtis Davies is one. So is GT if he can stay fit.

I will be neither opti nor pessi mistic until we get close to the opening League game and we know more about how the squad looks.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Thu 29 Jun 2017, 5:34 pm

RRC wrote:I like the signings that GR has made so far - Davies and Wisdom.

But I can't see how we're going to improve on last season's pathetic Goals For
    total of 54
    (our worst since 2011/12). Even with Hughes, we didn't create nearly
    enough decent openings for the forwards. Having Martin back won't make much
    difference unless we make more and better chances. Last season, when our slow
    motion passing game failed, we resorted to lobbing hopeful long balls far too often,
    which doesn't suit our forwards and rarely troubled even weak defences.

What's left of our midfield looks mainly defensive and rrather lacking in the skill and
    imagination needed to make us a real attacking threat. I don't expect anyone in
    the Hughes' mould but we need someone to galvanize the midfield. I'd love that to
    be Thorne but I no longer have much hope of his playing often enough in a season.

Fingers crossed that GR can sign someone affordable to fit the bill.

As always, if your defence is rock solid, you haven't actually got to improve that much on that level.

Martin wasn't here, Nugent came late and started scoring, and Vydra wasn't really given a chance consistently at all.

All three have a proven record at this level. I think we will score more.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 855
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Thu 29 Jun 2017, 9:50 pm

MadAmster wrote:Having said he wants to trim the size of the squad as 29/30 is too many to manage AND it denies Academy products the chance to prove themselves, GR seems to be intimating that quite a few more will exit, be that as sales, loans out or mutually consensual contract terminations. That will also give us the chance to bring some in.

His words give me the impression that a minimum of 6 more, but probably more, will go before the end of the transfer window and I would expect no more than 3 incoming.

What we require are MFs who can pass forwards as well as backwards and sideways, accurately. Wingers who can go past their man on both the inside and the outside and then pass the ball.

I will be neither opti nor pessi mistic until we get close to the opening League game and we know more about how the squad looks.

That would make you merely mistic.
    KeoghKeogh

Number of posts : 532
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Thu 29 Jun 2017, 10:32 pm

Bernard Manning and Jimmy Greaves, amongst others.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 30 Jun 2017, 7:13 am

DavesaRam wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:Having said he wants to trim the size of the squad as 29/30 is too many to manage AND it denies Academy products the chance to prove themselves, GR seems to be intimating that quite a few more will exit, be that as sales, loans out or mutually consensual contract terminations. That will also give us the chance to bring some in.

That would make you merely mistic.

.... or Mistic Meg LOL roll
    KeoghKeogh

Number of posts : 532
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Fri 30 Jun 2017, 8:27 pm

Curtis Davies will be captain.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1404
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sat 01 Jul 2017, 12:45 am

Why? He wasn't even 3rd choice centre back at Hull. Dawson and then Maguire were ahead of him as captain, and there was a foreign defender also ahead of him in the pecking order to play. I hope he turns out Ok, but don't be deluded that he is a leader any more than Keogh is. Captain of us next season probably hasn't yet been bought...maybe the lad from Middlesboro...Leadbitter...well that's my shout anyway.

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14561
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 01 Jul 2017, 9:18 am

He made 29 appearances for Hull last season
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:15 am

chicken wrote:He made 29 appearances for Hull last season

..and was appointed captain of a West Brom squad that included, Hartson, Koumas, Kevin Phillips, Greening and Neil Clement, by a manager who should know a thing or two about captaincy - Bryan Robson..

Davies was 20 at the time.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sat 01 Jul 2017, 2:14 pm

chicken wrote:He made 29 appearances for Hull last season

He must be rubbish then..... I'd have expected far more than that from a 4th choice centre half Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 6:22 am