COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    Thorne

    Share
    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23079
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 27691
    Age : 57
    Location : Boston USA

    Thorne

    Post by New England Ram on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 1:09 pm

    Injured again apparently...hamstring.



    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13666
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15269
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Thorne

    Post by MadAmster on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 1:15 pm

    Not serious. He is expected to resume training within a week.
    avatar
    DavesaRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 855
    Registration date : 2011-10-15
    Points : 985
    Age : 60
    Location : Allestree

    Re: Thorne

    Post by DavesaRam on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 1:27 pm

    Hopefully, as stated by GR, it is because they pushed him hard straight away to see how he coped. They will be a little more gentle and patient from now on, but don't expect him to be in from game number 1.
    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23079
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 27691
    Age : 57
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: Thorne

    Post by New England Ram on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 2:37 pm

    MadAmster wrote:Not serious. He is expected to resume training within a week.
    I'm afraid with his track history Ammy we are now in " I will believe it when I see it" territory.



    avatar
    CornwallRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6253
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 6778
    Age : 49
    Location : Derby

    Re: Thorne

    Post by CornwallRam on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 2:49 pm

    I think that McClaren effectively finished his career when he played him for three games in a week the first week back from his second acl. He wasn't right for the whole of the next season. Even though the leg break was unfortunate, Thorne was a pretty average player who was struggling with the pace of the game - a far cry from the majestic 'quarterback' of the run in to the play-offs. Sadly, because he looked real quality, I don't think we'll ever see Thorne back in a Derby shirt.
    avatar
    outsider

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 989
    Registration date : 2014-07-30
    Points : 1045
    Age : 53
    Location : Naas, Rep of Ireland

    Re: Thorne

    Post by outsider on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 5:25 pm

    This is in training ffs. Great player but more in sick bay than in front of our defence.

    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13666
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15269
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Thorne

    Post by MadAmster on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 8:21 pm

    Can't blame the lad for the double leg break and subsequent infection. they have purposely pushed him hard and a niggle here or there was always a possibility. Too soon to draw your conclusion Martin.
    avatar
    whestonram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2010-10-09
    Points : 270
    Location : Sheffield

    Re: Thorne

    Post by whestonram on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 11:25 pm

    MadAmster wrote:Can't blame the lad for the double leg break and subsequent infection. they have purposely pushed him hard and a niggle here or there was always a possibility. Too soon to draw your conclusion Martin.

    It's not a question of blame is it? He can't help the injuries he's had, but some players seem to be unlucky and he's one of them. I hope it is only a week but I suspect no-one will be surprised if it's six months. It's such a shame, he's a fantastic player
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5265
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 5822
    Age : 52
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: Thorne

    Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 09 Jul 2017, 1:05 am

    CornwallRam wrote:I think that McClaren effectively finished his career when he played him for three games in a week the first week back from his second acl. He wasn't right for the whole of the next season. Even though the leg break was unfortunate, Thorne was a pretty average player who was struggling with the pace of the game - a far cry from the majestic 'quarterback' of the run in to the play-offs. Sadly, because he looked real quality, I don't think we'll ever see Thorne back in a Derby shirt.


    Sadly, I agree with you.


    Does GR have the emotional intelligence to realise the gem he has?


    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4434
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 5933
    Age : 69
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: Thorne

    Post by SawleyRam on Sun 09 Jul 2017, 11:20 am

    Stockport Ram wrote:
    CornwallRam wrote:I think that McClaren effectively finished his career when he played him for three games in a week the first week back from his second acl. He wasn't right for the whole of the next season. Even though the leg break was unfortunate, Thorne was a pretty average player who was struggling with the pace of the game - a far cry from the majestic 'quarterback' of the run in to the play-offs. Sadly, because he looked real quality, I don't think we'll ever see Thorne back in a Derby shirt.


    Sadly, I agree with you.


    Does GR have the emotional intelligence to realise the gem he has?



    GR will not realise what a gem he has until he sees George in match action, and there is the start of the real problem........
    avatar
    Ram78

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2324
    Registration date : 2011-01-17
    Points : 2503
    Age : 39
    Location : Ilkeston

    Re: Thorne

    Post by Ram78 on Sun 09 Jul 2017, 11:42 pm

    Feel it's make or break for Thorne this season, another bad injury for example will see him off on a free at some point
    Really hope he gets back to that level we know he can do
    avatar
    rob

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2032
    Registration date : 2011-06-07
    Points : 2153
    Age : 48
    Location : Barleythorpe

    Re: Thorne

    Post by rob on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 8:06 am

    bad luck or otherwise we need to move on from George Thorne as we are unlikely to ever get even a majority of a season out of him.

    Shame as he is a great player.
    avatar
    bramhallram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3672
    Registration date : 2010-10-05
    Points : 3906
    Age : 67
    Location : Bramhall

    Re: Thorne

    Post by bramhallram on Thu 13 Jul 2017, 8:41 pm

    Ram78 wrote:Feel it's make or break for Thorne this season,  

    An unfortunate, if accurate, description of young George's prospects.

    .
    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23079
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 27691
    Age : 57
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: Thorne

    Post by New England Ram on Tue 01 Aug 2017, 3:58 pm

    So I read this morning that the hamstring strain is now a torn hamstring!
    Anyone else heard that ?

    Unfortunate for the lad but he really is a sick note.
    Terry Hennessy like with his injuries so unfortunate that we all got a glimpse of just how good he could be on the pitch but all we see of him now is moor farm injury update interviews.
    Must be a 100 times worse for him of course but I will be amazed if we see him play more than a handful of games for us in the future and nothing close to the heights he reached in the playoff season.



    avatar
    Manchester Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1977
    First ever game : 1980
    Number of posts : 321
    Registration date : 2009-03-02
    Points : 346
    Age : 39
    Location : Manchester

    Re: Thorne

    Post by Manchester Ram on Tue 01 Aug 2017, 4:12 pm

    I do feel sorry for him very frustrating.

    However my feeling are a tad sore towards him. As some of you know I have been in the video games business for a long time. When George got his first injury we got chatting on twitter and as I got free PS4 games at Electronic Arts, where I was working at the time, I offered to send some to him, to help with the boredom of the injury process. He duly accepted and on his own accord offered to send me something in return which would be signed.

    Strangely, shortly after he let me know he got the games I sent to moor farm ok, he never messaged me again and stopped following me on twitter.

    I put it down to experience and hope the games helped him on with the recovery but its always left me with a bad feeling towards a Derby player which I don't want to have.

    Before anyone says it, I wasn't being stalky or weird or offering to meet him in dark carparks for special massages :)
    avatar
    Ram78

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2324
    Registration date : 2011-01-17
    Points : 2503
    Age : 39
    Location : Ilkeston

    Re: Thorne

    Post by Ram78 on Tue 01 Aug 2017, 5:45 pm

    Feel he'll be released on a free soon
    avatar
    Jackal

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 615
    Registration date : 2014-09-08
    Points : 678
    Age : 35
    Location : Worksop

    Re: Thorne

    Post by Jackal on Tue 01 Aug 2017, 5:47 pm

    Manchester Ram wrote:I do feel sorry for him very frustrating.

    However my feeling are a tad sore towards him. As some of you know I have been in the video games business for a long time. When George got his first injury we got chatting on twitter and as I got free PS4 games at Electronic Arts, where I was working at the time, I offered to send some to him, to help with the boredom of the injury process. He duly accepted and on his own accord offered to send me something in return which would be signed.

    Strangely, shortly after he let me know he got the games I sent to moor farm ok, he never messaged me again and stopped following me on twitter.


    I put it down to experience and hope the games helped him on with the recovery but its always left me with a bad feeling towards a Derby player which I don't want to have.

    Before anyone says it, I wasn't being stalky or weird or offering to meet him in dark carparks for special massages :)

    Can I have a free game? I promise I won't be injured if Derby ever need me. Ambulance
    avatar
    Manchester Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1977
    First ever game : 1980
    Number of posts : 321
    Registration date : 2009-03-02
    Points : 346
    Age : 39
    Location : Manchester

    Re: Thorne

    Post by Manchester Ram on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 8:56 am

    Jackal wrote:
    Manchester Ram wrote:I do feel sorry for him very frustrating.

    However my feeling are a tad sore towards him. As some of you know I have been in the video games business for a long time. When George got his first injury we got chatting on twitter and as I got free PS4 games at Electronic Arts, where I was working at the time, I offered to send some to him, to help with the boredom of the injury process. He duly accepted and on his own accord offered to send me something in return which would be signed.

    Strangely, shortly after he let me know he got the games I sent to moor farm ok, he never messaged me again and stopped following me on twitter.


    I put it down to experience and hope the games helped him on with the recovery but its always left me with a bad feeling towards a Derby player which I don't want to have.

    Before anyone says it, I wasn't being stalky or weird or offering to meet him in dark carparks for special massages :)

    Can I have a free game? I promise I won't be injured if Derby ever need me. Ambulance

    Haha, I would be more than happy to but for the first time in 18 years I left the games industry in January. If i ever go back I will be sure to share the games :)

    Sponsored content

    Re: Thorne

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 6:25 am