COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    First game

    Share
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11177
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13555
    Location : Doghouse

    First game

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 11:31 am

    Ok if the first game of the season is tomorrow what's your team?

    Carson

    Baird
    Wisdom
    Davies
    Forsyth

    Huddlestone
    Bryson

    Weimann
    Nugent
    Bennett

    Martin

    Obviously I'd prefer to go with three at the back but that just isn't going to happen so I've gone with most likely formation. Of the three front men Weimann and Bennett would be wider and Nugent would be floating just behind Martin. Bryson would be the link man with Huddlestone just sitting in front of the back four.

    I'd fancy that team against most in our league, so bring it on.
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5266
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 5823
    Age : 52
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: First game

    Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 11:40 am

    Can't argue with that XI.
    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4436
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 5935
    Age : 69
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: First game

    Post by SawleyRam on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 12:08 pm

    Loughborough Ram wrote:Ok if the first game of the season is tomorrow what's your team?

    Carson

    Baird
    Wisdom
    Davies
    Forsyth

    Huddlestone
    Bryson

    Weimann
    Nugent
    Bennett

    Martin

    Obviously I'd prefer to go with three at the back but that just isn't going to happen so I've gone with most likely formation. Of the three front men Weimann and Bennett would be wider and Nugent would be floating just behind Martin. Bryson would be the link man with Huddlestone just sitting in front of the back four.

    I'd fancy that team against most in our league, so bring it on.

    Just being the devil's advocaat here but are you ruling Keogh out altogether?

    If Richard is still here I see him playing a role with Davies, Wisdom moving over to right back, Baird bench warming with Pierce in case things go awry at the back.

    The rest of the team l would be happy with.
    avatar
    thatguyfromderby

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4336
    Registration date : 2009-02-25
    Points : 4633

    Re: First game

    Post by thatguyfromderby on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 12:20 pm

    SawleyRam wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:Ok if the first game of the season is tomorrow what's your team?

    Carson

    Baird
    Wisdom
    Davies
    Forsyth

    Huddlestone
    Bryson

    Weimann
    Nugent
    Bennett

    Martin

    Obviously I'd prefer to go with three at the back but that just isn't going to happen so I've gone with most likely formation. Of the three front men Weimann and Bennett would be wider and Nugent would be floating just behind Martin. Bryson would be the link man with Huddlestone just sitting in front of the back four.

    I'd fancy that team against most in our league, so bring it on.

    Just being the devil's advocaat here but are you ruling Keogh out altogether?

    If Richard is still here I see him playing a role with Davies, Wisdom moving over to right back, Baird bench warming with Pierce in case things go awry at the back.

    The rest of the team l would be happy with.

    Agreed. I think Keogh will thrive alongside Wisdom, Davis, Fozzy, and with Tom protecting.
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5266
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 5823
    Age : 52
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: First game

    Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 12:29 pm

    SawleyRam wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:Ok if the first game of the season is tomorrow what's your team?

    Carson

    Baird
    Wisdom
    Davies
    Forsyth

    Huddlestone
    Bryson

    Weimann
    Nugent
    Bennett

    Martin

    Obviously I'd prefer to go with three at the back but that just isn't going to happen so I've gone with most likely formation. Of the three front men Weimann and Bennett would be wider and Nugent would be floating just behind Martin. Bryson would be the link man with Huddlestone just sitting in front of the back four.

    I'd fancy that team against most in our league, so bring it on.

    Just being the devil's advocaat here but are you ruling Keogh out altogether?

    If Richard is still here I see him playing a role with Davies, Wisdom moving over to right back, Baird bench warming with Pierce in case things go awry at the back.

    The rest of the team l would be happy with.


    Hopefully, yes.
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11177
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13555
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: First game

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 12:47 pm

    I wouldn't rule out Keogh at all, in fact if we went 3 at the back he'd be in, but I think that if you are going for four at the back they have to defend first and for all the good Keogh does, we need to be as error free as possible which isn't his strength.
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13670
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15273
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: First game

    Post by MadAmster on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 2:19 pm

    One thought I have is that GR will be looking to have 2 strong DMs protecting the back 4. If he is, then I suspect we might see BJ alongside Tom rather than Bryson.

    Another is that Wisdom has played RB in both games thus far which leads me to think that RB is where we will see him play. That would point to a back 4 of Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11177
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13555
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: First game

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 2:56 pm

    I think you may be right with what Rowett will do, but the question is what would YOU do
    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23079
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 27691
    Age : 57
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: First game

    Post by New England Ram on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 5:14 pm

    Not the finished squad yet so will hold my thoughts.
    Other than it better include Nugent.
    I thought he might have been signed years past his sell by date by us.
    But I love watching him play..faster than I thought and so intelligent.



    avatar
    KeoghKeogh

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 532
    Registration date : 2015-12-30
    Points : 630

    Re: First game

    Post by KeoghKeogh on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 7:19 pm

    i think that with the current squad he'll go with

    Carson

    Anya (if fit) or Baird
    Wisdom
    Davies
    Forsyth

    Huddlestone
    Bryson

    Weimann
    Nugent
    Russell

    Martin

    avatar
    CornwallRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6253
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 6778
    Age : 49
    Location : Derby

    Re: First game

    Post by CornwallRam on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 8:10 pm

    Assuming no Thorne and no more incoming, I would go

    Carson
    Wisdom Davies Pearce
    Anya.........................Forsyth
    Huddleston
    Bryson Johnson
    Vydra Nugent

    I would be looking to replace Johnson, Pearce and Bryson though. I'd also be looking for a big mobile centre forward to play along side Nugent or Vydra (like both players, but the side would be better balanced with proper target man up front).

    I'd try to sell Martin (too slow), Keogh (key part of our losing mentality) and Butterfield (too slow mentally and physically).

    I think that Rowett might go

    Carson
    Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth
    Huddlestone Johnson
    Russell Nugent Vydra
    Martin
    avatar
    rjrules71

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4260
    Registration date : 2009-05-15
    Points : 5294
    Age : 60
    Location : donington sur le mire

    Re: First game

    Post by rjrules71 on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 8:15 pm

    [quote="CornwallRam"]Assuming no Thorne and no more incoming, I would go

    Carson
    Wisdom Davies Pearce
    Anya.........................Forsyth
    Huddleston
    Bryson Johnson
    Vydra Nugent

    I would be looking to replace Johnson, Pearce and Bryson though. I'd also be looking for a big mobile centre forward to play along side Nugent or Vydra (like both players, but the side would be better balanced with proper target man up front).

    I'd try to sell Martin (too slow), Keogh (key part of our losing mentality) and Butterfield (too slow mentally and physically).

    I think that Rowett might go

    Hope not he only just got here Shocked
    avatar
    rjrules71

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4260
    Registration date : 2009-05-15
    Points : 5294
    Age : 60
    Location : donington sur le mire

    Re: First game

    Post by rjrules71 on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 8:23 pm

    Just working off the MACC game

    I suspect that we may going for width more so than last term.

    The first half team were just as crap as the last season, second half Olsen and Anya left and Baird and Bennet right were great, we also had the option of Martin allowing runners to join as well so we changed it up at different times.

    This I believe is the sort of mentality bandied around on here, that changing things before after and during the game will be the basis of GR time here. The squad will be utilised to its full extent, no passengers and vying for the shirt will be the norm.

    I think at this stage it is hard to decide the who, what, where, as I believe there will be a lot more horse trading before the curtain falls and a big mobile CF will be incoming IMHO.


    avatar
    valakari

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1404
    Registration date : 2011-10-22
    Points : 1501
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: First game

    Post by valakari on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 10:18 pm

    Carson
    Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth
    Thorne Huddlestone
    Bryson
    Nugent Vydra
    Martin

    avatar
    Jackal

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 615
    Registration date : 2014-09-08
    Points : 678
    Age : 35
    Location : Worksop

    Re: First game

    Post by Jackal on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 12:10 pm

    rjrules71 wrote: Clapping Just working off the MACC game

    I suspect that we may going for width more so than last term.

    The first half team were just as crap as the last season, second half Olsen and Anya left and Baird and Bennet right were great, we also had the option of Martin allowing runners to join as well so we changed it up at different times.

    This I believe is the sort of mentality bandied around on here, that changing things before after and during the game will be the basis of GR time here. The squad will be utilised to its full extent, no passengers and vying for the shirt will be the norm.

    I think at this stage it is hard to decide the who, what, where, as I believe there will be a lot more horse trading before the curtain falls and a big mobile CF will be incoming IMHO.


    I hope you're right. I've been banging-on about a big target man for ages. Kinda getting bored of writing it as it's almost become a mantra.
    avatar
    rob

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2032
    Registration date : 2011-06-07
    Points : 2153
    Age : 48
    Location : Barleythorpe

    Re: First game

    Post by rob on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 8:22 am

    starting to take shape - my pessimism is shrinking - cue 4 points from the opening 10 games :-)
    avatar
    rob

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2032
    Registration date : 2011-06-07
    Points : 2153
    Age : 48
    Location : Barleythorpe

    Re: First game

    Post by rob on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 8:26 am

    would agree with your 11 valakari but I cant see Thorne being fit until September earliest
    avatar
    bramhallram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3672
    Registration date : 2010-10-05
    Points : 3906
    Age : 67
    Location : Bramhall

    Re: First game

    Post by bramhallram on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 8:30 am

    rob wrote:would agree with your 11 valakari but I cant see Thorne being fit until September earliest

    According to his latest interview GR seems to share your view about Thorne. I just hope he gets a game before the clocks go back.

    .
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15770
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 19468

    Re: First game

    Post by RRC on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 10:24 am

    Based on those who might be still with us and might be fit to play,
    here's my guess for Rowett's likely 4-2-3-1

    Carson
    Wisdom Davies Forsyth Lowe
    Huddlestone Johnson
    Weimann Nugent Bennett
    Martin



    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13670
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15273
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: First game

    Post by MadAmster on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:14 am

    bramhallram wrote:
    rob wrote:would agree with your 11 valakari but I cant see Thorne being fit until September earliest

    According to his latest interview GR seems to share your view about Thorne. I just hope he gets a game before the clocks go back.

    .

    With regard to GT, I read an interview with GR where he said that they had purposely pushed GT hard in pre season....... that was wrong and now they would ease him back in and it would take 3 to 4 weeks.
    avatar
    thatguyfromderby

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4336
    Registration date : 2009-02-25
    Points : 4633

    Re: First game

    Post by thatguyfromderby on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 4:10 pm

    GT has spoken about his tactics today and that's he's likely to go 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. The reason 4-2-3-1 has been so prevalent during pre-season is that GT has not be available and this allows him to get more players into their natural positions. However, he doesn't necessarily believe this is the formation we will take into the new season.
    avatar
    Mitten State Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 654
    Registration date : 2014-05-23
    Points : 684
    Location : Michigan

    Re: First game

    Post by Mitten State Ram on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:43 pm

    CornwallRam wrote:
    I think that Rowett might go

    Carson
    Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth
    Huddlestone Johnson
    Russell Nugent Vydra
    Martin

    That looks like a good team to me, though I'd switch Thorne for BJ if fit, of course.
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5266
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 5823
    Age : 52
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: First game

    Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 6:46 am

    MadAmster wrote:
    bramhallram wrote:
    rob wrote:would agree with your 11 valakari but I cant see Thorne being fit until September earliest

    According to his latest interview GR seems to share your view about Thorne. I just hope he gets a game before the clocks go back.

    .

    With regard to GT, I read an interview with GR where he said that they had purposely pushed GT hard in pre season....... that was wrong and now they would ease him back in and it would take 3 to 4 weeks.


    Every cloud, MA. Had he stayed fit, would we have invested in Tom ?
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13670
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15273
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: First game

    Post by MadAmster on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 8:27 am

    Stockport Ram wrote:

    Every cloud, MA.   Had he stayed fit, would we have invested in Tom ?

    I think we would as Tom can play DM, CH plus he could also play further forward, spraying his exquisite passes with either foot putting the front 3 into goal scoring positions.
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13670
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15273
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: First game

    Post by MadAmster on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 8:28 am

    Based on what we have seen.................

    Not impressed with the defensive 7 at Donny last night, with the exception of Fozzy and Mitchell. After 2 good games, Hanson wasn't at the races. BJ and Butters didn't stamp any authority on proceedings. Keogh and Pearce were unable to cope with the Donny movement, especially in the 2nd half when Coppinger started pulling the strings for the hosts. Good Keogh header from a corner for our goal, Martin and Weimann both hit the woodwork and Martin blazed a penalty over the bar. 2nd half Donny were dangerous and Mitchell really had to earn his corn. They ran at Derby and the runners weren't picked up. Once more we saw the shortcomings of a zonal defence in and around the box. They use a zonal defence and nobody picked up Keogh for our goal. They scored one and might have had 2 or 3 more, all down to players getting time and space in and around the Derby box. It would not surprise me to see a starting XI at Kaiserslautern this Saturday of the back 7 from the Port Vale game, possibly with Fozzy taking the left back role together with the front 4 of Weimann, Nugent, Martin and Bennett from the Donny game.

    Sponsored content

    Re: First game

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 3:43 pm