COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    First game

    Share
    avatar
    outsider

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1005
    Registration date : 2014-07-30
    Points : 1061
    Age : 53
    Location : Naas, Rep of Ireland

    Re: First game

    Post by outsider on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 9:40 am

    time for some one else to take penalties me thinks Afraid
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13741
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15365
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: First game

    Post by MadAmster on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 11:04 am

    Apparently, Bent was injured scoring the penalty last night. No news as yet as to what is wrong with his knee or how long he may be out.
    avatar
    CornwallRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6259
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 6784
    Age : 49
    Location : Derby

    Re: First game

    Post by CornwallRam on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 11:23 am

    MadAmster wrote:Apparently, Bent was injured scoring the penalty last night. No news as yet as to what is wrong with his knee or how long he may be out.

    The knee thing is just a cover story. What actually happened is that he suffered a severe allergic reaction from being through on goal and not being flagged offside.
    avatar
    Manchester Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1977
    First ever game : 1980
    Number of posts : 323
    Registration date : 2009-03-02
    Points : 348
    Age : 39
    Location : Manchester

    Re: First game

    Post by Manchester Ram on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 11:33 am

    It looked like some pain in the outside rear of his right knee. He tried to run it off a couple of times but pulled up almost instantly.
    avatar
    valakari

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1430
    Registration date : 2011-10-22
    Points : 1527
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: First game

    Post by valakari on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 12:46 pm

    At least not an important player injured..but might stop him leaving...very clever Darren...
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11190
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13569
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: First game

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 2:14 pm

    I thought exactly the same Val.

    Whose going to pay him the wages he's on here, so a little niggle until September would probably mean that he's not under pressure to leave.
    avatar
    rob

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2046
    Registration date : 2011-06-07
    Points : 2167
    Age : 48
    Location : Barleythorpe

    Re: First game

    Post by rob on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 3:24 pm

    he can chose if he leaves or not - he has a legally binding contract - Sam Rush was an arse
    avatar
    outsider

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1005
    Registration date : 2014-07-30
    Points : 1061
    Age : 53
    Location : Naas, Rep of Ireland

    Re: First game

    Post by outsider on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 3:39 pm

    rob wrote:he can chose if he leaves or not - he has a legally binding contract - Sam Rush was an arse

    was it Rush that extended his contract? he only just signed one hasn't he?
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13741
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15365
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: First game

    Post by MadAmster on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 7:01 pm

    outsider wrote:
    rob wrote:he can chose if he leaves or not - he has a legally binding contract - Sam Rush was an arse

    was it Rush that extended his contract? he only just signed one hasn't he?

    Rush might have been the one who agreed to it BUT...... there was a clause in his contract concerning game splayed and goals scored. If he met those criteria, and he did, the HE could unilaterally invoke a further year. He invoked the extension......


    Same applies to Baird. He got an extra year because he met certain criteria.
    avatar
    valakari

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1430
    Registration date : 2011-10-22
    Points : 1527
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: First game

    Post by valakari on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 12:30 am

    I wonder what the criteria Baird had to achieve?
    avatar
    Jackal

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2014-09-08
    Points : 689
    Age : 35
    Location : Worksop

    Re: First game

    Post by Jackal on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 1:53 am

    valakari wrote:I wonder what the criteria Baird had to achieve?
    Amount of games played i would imagine.
    avatar
    bramhallram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3691
    Registration date : 2010-10-05
    Points : 3927
    Age : 67
    Location : Bramhall

    Re: First game

    Post by bramhallram on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 8:53 am

    Jackal wrote:
    valakari wrote:I wonder what the criteria Baird had to achieve?
    Amount of games played i would imagine.

    Or number of times he crossed the halfway line and delivered an accurate cross to one of our strikers.

    Oh, wait a minute...


    .
    .
    avatar
    valakari

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1430
    Registration date : 2011-10-22
    Points : 1527
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: First game

    Post by valakari on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 10:17 am

    Not my cup of tea. Bang average and like Bent, past his best. Get rid
    avatar
    outsider

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1005
    Registration date : 2014-07-30
    Points : 1061
    Age : 53
    Location : Naas, Rep of Ireland

    Re: First game

    Post by outsider on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 10:50 am

    valakari wrote:Not my cup of tea. Bang average and like Bent, past his best. Get rid

    bent may be past his best but second top scorer last season,


    Darren Bent
    187 minutes per goal
    2425 minutes played 13 Goals scored
    0 Assists

    Matej Vydra
    367 minutes per goal
    1833 minutes played 5 Goals scored
    1 Assists
    avatar
    rob

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2046
    Registration date : 2011-06-07
    Points : 2167
    Age : 48
    Location : Barleythorpe

    Re: First game

    Post by rob on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 12:36 pm

    Rush agreed all the contracts - Bent's contract was agreed under his watch - true he had to achieve those objectives but the club could have said no to those clauses

    How many of those goals were worth points/against key promotion rivals ?

    And Vydra has been an expensive waste of time for Derby - there is a good player in there but not for Derby
    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4455
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 5960
    Age : 69
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: First game

    Post by SawleyRam on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 10:08 pm

    rob wrote:Rush agreed all the contracts - Bent's contract was agreed under his watch - true he had to achieve those objectives but the club could have said no to those clauses

    How many of those goals were worth points/against key promotion rivals ?

    And Vydra has been an expensive waste of time for Derby - there is a good player in there but not for Derby

    But a point has been missed here, Rush is no more yet our three new signings all have that very same option included in their contracts. They all have a year extra option they can trigger provided certain criteria is met.

    It must be the norm these days.
    avatar
    thatguyfromderby

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4345
    Registration date : 2009-02-25
    Points : 4644

    Re: First game

    Post by thatguyfromderby on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 10:40 pm

    I feel like it's a pretty common clause for players over 30.
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11190
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13569
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: First game

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 5:52 am

    Yes but don't forget, we have to blame Sam Rush for every thing.
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13741
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15365
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: First game

    Post by MadAmster on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 7:55 am

    SawleyRam wrote:
    rob wrote:Rush agreed all the contracts - Bent's contract was agreed under his watch - true he had to achieve those objectives but the club could have said no to those clauses

    How many of those goals were worth points/against key promotion rivals ?

    And Vydra has been an expensive waste of time for Derby - there is a good player in there but not for Derby

    But a point has been missed here, Rush is no more yet our three new signings all have that very same option included in their contracts. They all have a year extra option they can trigger provided certain criteria is met.

    It must be the norm these days.

    There are options there. We know that because the club has said there are. However, we don't know that there are clauses that allow the player to trigger the option even if the club doesn't want to.
    avatar
    rob

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2046
    Registration date : 2011-06-07
    Points : 2167
    Age : 48
    Location : Barleythorpe

    Re: First game

    Post by rob on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 1:05 pm

    So luffy mocking me for Sam Rush's tenure - please tell me how you consider our transfer business under his stewardship - the majority of players being represented by his ex employers and we seem to have paid significantly over the odds for bang average players and the fact he has been dismissed with a court case (although no doubt something will be settled out of court) a success.

    We have one of the largest crowds, probably one of the largest wage bills (probably the largest outside of the parachute payment teams) and certainly have been one of the largest net sp

    enders, but have achieved one lost play off final.... whilst "smaller" teams - certainly crowd and budget wise have achieved far far more.....

    Also re-hiring mcClown - unless we forget...

    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11190
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13569
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: First game

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 2:38 pm

    I've said before, I'm not defending Sam Rush but I'm certainly not going to use him as a punch bag for all that is wrong with the club without knowing more about how the club worked under his tenure.

    I'll give you a hypothetical situation that offers an alternative view.

    McLaren: "We need a goalscorer Sam, any ideas"
    Rush: "I'll do some digging"

    Rush: "Steve, we may be able to get Darren Bent"
    McLaren: "Brilliant, he's a goalscorer and he won't expect to play every week at his age, just what we need, see what you can do"
    Rush "I'll let you know"

    Rush: Mel, Steve wants me to try and get Darren Bent, is that ok?"
    Mel: "If that's what Steve wants, go for it"
    Rush: "Brilliant, I'll let you know"

    Rush: Mel, it's Sam, they are keen and they'll do 2 years as long as there's an option for both parties for a further year, based on goals and appearences"
    Mel: "Sounds ok Sam, after all if he is playing and scoring goals we're almost cetainly going to want to extend it anyway".

    Neither you nor I have any idea whether this was roughly how it happened but it's more likely than Rush making unillateral decisions on incoming players and their contracts. In fact I remember well that McLaren was given the 'credit' for several of our players being given brand new shiny four year contracts the first summer after he arrived. Also knowing how hands on Mel is, are we really supposed to believe that he had no input into the contracts of incoming players.
    avatar
    rob

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2046
    Registration date : 2011-06-07
    Points : 2167
    Age : 48
    Location : Barleythorpe

    Re: First game

    Post by rob on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 2:54 pm

    true but Mel has also said he trusted people too much and was more hands off than he was in other businesses and is now more involved.

    Rush was an improvement on Glick (although the funds available were obviously different) but over his tenure I actually think we went backwards as a club and he was CEO and therefore in charge - regardless of who owned the club.

    The ending of his tenure is hardly a glowing reference - to him or Mel tbh

    You are right none of us are party to the inner workings of the club (regardless of how many friends of friends of friends of the wifes sisters cousin of the tea lady at the training ground we claim to know) but Sam Rush was visible at the first sniff of praise when things were going well and totally invisible to the fans when it went south.

    Rowett seems to know what he wants - is being given the rope to hang himself with (getting rid of hughes and ince) and I wish him all the success in the world.

    Lets move on, sign some pace and creativity and who knows we may even have some happy talk about what is going on on the pitch.

    I hate pre-season it is so boring.

    At least I have Italy v England in the six nations in Feb to look forward to if our season is over before xmas :-)
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11190
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 13569
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: First game

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 3:05 pm

    Us, Villa and Fulham vying for the top 2 in my opinion
    avatar
    KeoghKeogh

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2015-12-30
    Points : 651

    Re: First game

    Post by KeoghKeogh on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 6:37 pm

    rob wrote:true but Mel has also said he trusted people too much and was more hands off than he was in other businesses and is now more involved.

    Rush was an improvement on Glick (although the funds available were obviously different) but over his tenure I actually think we went backwards as a club and he was CEO and therefore in charge - regardless of who owned the club.

    The ending of his tenure is hardly a glowing reference - to him or Mel tbh

    You are right none of us are party to the inner workings of the club (regardless of how many friends of friends of friends of the wifes sisters cousin of the tea lady at the training ground we claim to know) but Sam Rush was visible at the first sniff of praise when things were going well and totally invisible to the fans when it went south.

    Rowett seems to know what he wants - is being given the rope to hang himself with (getting rid of hughes and ince) and I wish him all the success in the world.

    Lets move on, sign some pace and creativity and who knows we may even have some happy talk about what is going on on the pitch.

    I hate pre-season it is so boring.

    At least I have Italy v England in the six nations in Feb to look forward to if our season is over before xmas :-)

    I spent some time with Sam Rush over the time that he was at the club and always found him to be a very decent bloke who was keen for the club to do well on and off the pitch and was more open than might have been expected. I have no idea whether he had too much sway regarding footballing matters such as transfers. For what it's worth, whilst at DCFC he was rated very highly amongst his peers.
    avatar
    rob

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2046
    Registration date : 2011-06-07
    Points : 2167
    Age : 48
    Location : Barleythorpe

    Re: First game

    Post by rob on Fri 21 Jul 2017, 8:16 pm

    So was glick

    Sponsored content

    Re: First game

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017, 8:35 pm