COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

v. Cobblers

Geordie Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1977
    First ever game : 1981 or 2? Rams v Oldham?
    Number of posts : 354
    Registration date : 2010-10-01

v. Cobblers

Post by Geordie Ram on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:59 pm

V. Cobblers.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23026
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Re: v. Cobblers

Post by New England Ram on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 10:06 pm

Average and disjointed but I haven't found any of the pre season games to be much more than that.
    Only thing that really matters is Sunderland onwards but I certainly am not expecting any sexy football this year.
    Have to admit I'm not getting all the hype over Bennett....I just don't get the impression he's got that much in the locker unlike say a young Dean Sturridge when he came back from loans and got his chance.
    Still think we will need an injection of more pace.

Geordie Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1977
    First ever game : 1981 or 2? Rams v Oldham?
    Number of posts : 354
    Registration date : 2010-10-01

Post by Geordie Ram on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 10:08 pm

Hopefully, we'll get more oomph from Tom Lawrence. Still a couple short. I don't 'get' Olsson either.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5209
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 10:18 pm

Cobblers.

Well, no, slightly better than that.

Butterfield £4m, Huddlestone £2m. We have certainly made progress in the transfer market this summer.
    I don't get the Bennett or Weimann hype either - Anya would start for me in one of the "progressive four" - if given the chance, he will supply for Martin, without doubt.

We still need another centre half.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6226
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 12:21 am

Stockport Ram wrote:Cobblers.

Butterfield £4m,  Huddlestone £2m.   We have certainly made progress in the transfer market this summer.
    I don't get the Bennett or Weimann hype either - Anya would start for me in one of the "progressive four" - if given the chance, he will supply for Martin, without doubt.

So you don't rate Davies then? LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5209
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 6:45 am

CornwallRam wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:Cobblers.

Butterfield £4m,  Huddlestone £2m.   We have certainly made progress in the transfer market this summer.

So you don't rate Davies then? LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll

Waiting Wink
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4362
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 8:13 am

I still don't understand why Rowett hasn't paired Davies & Keogh in a friendly yet.

Saturday should be a dress rehearsal for the real thing and Keogh is a better central defender than others who have partnered Davies so far. if they are not together for the Hoffenhiem match Keogh will be left out in the cold.

Perhaps that partnership is Gary's secret weapon! LOL roll LOL roll LOL roll
    outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 957
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 8:27 am

its a friendly and getting fit with no injuries, dont see hype with them. like New England said, kick off aug 4 is where it matters and tinkering and looking at each player is the main objective.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11114
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 8:39 am

The team last night will have been made up of largely people who won't play the first game of the season in my opinion along with a sprinkling of players who will. The reason Davies played is because he missed the friendly in Keiserslauten. Of the team that started I reckon that only Davies and Nugent will start against Sunderland.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13559

Post by MadAmster on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 8:56 am

I think it's all a matter of context. Mason hasn't looked a world beater but he has looked the best of the 3 who have played the wide right role. Way, way better than Blackman and better than JR. Until we get a better one in, he should, IMO, be the wide right man in a front 3-1. I'm not getting carried away by his displays but he is currently looking the best bet of what we have. He has gone past defenders on both sides, put some good crosses in, had decent shots well saved and scored a great header.

Last night? Obviously the 2nd XI in the main AND a change of formation, going 1-4-3-3 for the first time. No faulting Mitchell. Baird only started to go forward in the last 20 minutes. Under orders? Or forced by the weak midfield? I felt that, until Tom came on, Northampton were the better in that department. Olsson showed why he is 2nd or 3rd choice at left back. Pearce had a decent game as did Davies, however, Davies' defensive headers aren't impressive and although I hesitate to draw a comparison with 50p head, there are similarities. Hanson appears to have gone backwards in the last 2 years, where has the player with so much potential gone? Butterfield was largely ineffective, some of his free kicks and corners were appalling, he did have some very good ones too but % wise too many bad ones. Bryson is back to covering as much ground as he used to but I feel he is less effective as he was a couple of seasons back. Anya wasn't really involved until the last 20 minutes and won't be a starter at Sunderland unless Weimann gets injured. I felt for Nugent. Picked as the #9 but given instructions to play in a less advanced position than a #9 normally would. Roughly where he would be if he was playing in the middle of a 3 with Martin in front of him. Bennett had 2 shots well saved and got some good crosses in, both low and high.

Cobblers' goal? Butters lost the ball in MF, they attacked down the right, cross came in and their man at the far post was unmarked. Why? One of our defenders ran straight past him to take up position on the line (Baird or Hanson?) rather than getting ball and goalside of him to stop him latching on to any pass. There were 2 or 3 other Northampton players in the box at that time too. Also Davies (?) went to ground in an attempt at a tackle which effectively took him out of the game. When will we learn that space doesn't score goals and players do? Stop marking space in and around the penalty area.

Away at Sunderland, I expect 1-4-2-3-1 to be the preferred system and, barring injury, to see the following lineup:

Carson
    Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth
    Hudds BJ
    Bennett Nugent Weimann
    Martin

That is my lineup. I think GR may well prefer JR to Mason as he has long admired JR and has tried to buy him twice in the past. IMO Bennett is playing the better of the two at the moment.

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2008
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 9:48 am

shame we didn't put a sell back clause in Vydras deal :-) he doesn't look like he will get anywhere near this team now...
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1331
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 12:11 pm

MadAmster wrote:I think it's all a matter of context. Mason hasn't looked a world beater but he has looked the best of the 3 who have played the wide right role. Way, way better than Blackman and better than JR. Until we get a better one in, he should, IMO, be the wide right man in a front 3-1. I'm not getting carried away by his displays but he is currently looking the best bet of what we have. He has gone past defenders on both sides, put some good crosses in, had decent shots well saved and scored a great header.

Last night? Obviously the 2nd XI in the main AND a change of formation, going 1-4-3-3 for the first time. No faulting Mitchell. Baird only started to go forward in the last 20 minutes. Under orders? Or forced by the weak midfield? I felt that, until Tom came on, Northampton were the better in that department. Olsson showed why he is 2nd or 3rd choice at left back. Pearce had a decent game as did Davies, however, Davies' defensive headers aren't impressive and although I hesitate to draw a comparison with 50p head, there are similarities. Hanson appears to have gone backwards in the last 2 years, where has the player with so much potential gone? Butterfield was largely ineffective, some of his free kicks and corners were appalling, he did have some very good ones too but % wise too many bad ones. Bryson is back to covering as much ground as he used to but I feel he is less effective as he was a couple of seasons back. Anya wasn't really involved until the last 20 minutes and won't be a starter at Sunderland unless Weimann gets injured. I felt for Nugent. Picked as the #9 but given instructions to play in a less advanced position than a #9 normally would. Roughly where he would be if he was playing in the middle of a 3 with Martin in front of him. Bennett had 2 shots well saved and got some good crosses in, both low and high.

Cobblers' goal? Butters lost the ball in MF, they attacked down the right, cross came in and their man at the far post was unmarked. Why? One of our defenders ran straight past him to take up position on the line (Baird or Hanson?) rather than getting ball and goalside of him to stop him latching on to any pass. There were 2 or 3 other Northampton players in the box at that time too. Also Davies (?) went to ground in an attempt at a tackle which effectively took him out of the game. When will we learn that space doesn't score goals and players do? Stop marking space in and around the penalty area.

Away at Sunderland, I expect 1-4-2-3-1 to be the preferred system and, barring injury, to see the following lineup:

Carson
    Hudds BJ
    Bennett Nugent Weimann
    Martin

That is my lineup. I think GR may well prefer JR to Mason as he has long admired JR and has tried to buy him twice in the past. IMO Bennett is playing the better of the two at the moment.
    I agree with your team totally, Madamster, but hopefully he will buy Lawrence or Jota before that to fill the wide role...
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4303
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 1:08 pm

valakari wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:I think it's all a matter of context. Mason hasn't looked a world beater but he has looked the best of the 3 who have played the wide right role. Way, way better than Blackman and better than JR. Until we get a better one in, he should, IMO, be the wide right man in a front 3-1. I'm not getting carried away by his displays but he is currently looking the best bet of what we have. He has gone past defenders on both sides, put some good crosses in, had decent shots well saved and scored a great header.

Carson
    Hudds BJ
    Bennett Nugent Weimann
    Martin

I agree with your team totally, Madamster, but hopefully he will buy Lawrence or Jota before that to fill the wide role...

Jota has gone on loan to Wolves.
    Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10214
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 1:09 pm

thatguyfromderby wrote:
    valakari wrote:

Carson
    Hudds BJ
    Bennett Nugent Weimann
    Martin

Jota has gone on loan to Wolves.

Different player TGFD
    valakari

Post by valakari on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:51 pm

not the same Jota!
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 846
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Thu 27 Jul 2017, 2:30 pm

Carson
    Hudds BJ
    Bennett Nugent Weimann
    Martin

He has been messed about rather a lot. Although he has had injury problems, a big problem is that when he has come in and done a job for us, he finds himself dumped on the bench next match. Like a number of others who are not producing what they are capable of, he hasn't been given a run in the side, just being picked in allsorts of different positions when there is no-one else available.

So not only does he not get a chance to settle, he is made to feel that he is not wanted and/or not good enough, and that we will pick anybody else but him unless we've absolutely got to. This was especially true re the DM role, where we have put Bradley Johnson and Will Hughes, neither of whom being suited to that position. Both are better further forwards, which neither really got a chance at, hence us moaning about Will not having a good season.

Its the Derby way. Dunno

Posted from my Android passion for Derby County.
    valakari

Post by valakari on Thu 27 Jul 2017, 3:00 pm

Maybe he just isn't good enough...sad to say but I would let him move on
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 27 Jul 2017, 3:31 pm

valakari wrote:Maybe he just isn't good enough...sad to say but I would let him move on

been better than JR in pre season so far IMO

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    old ewe

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 597
    Registration date : 2012-05-20

Post by old ewe on Thu 27 Jul 2017, 3:37 pm

Hanson has had more minutes on the pitch than any other player and been used in several different positions and combinations. He is either being closely assessed by GR for his usefulness to us or he is being seriously scouted.
    New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23026
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Thu 27 Jul 2017, 4:44 pm

I don't know what to think of Hanson.
    I do wonder if he could grow into a permanent role if given a chance but I don't really know what that position would be .
    He's been played all over the shop and to be honest the only thing that has really stood out for me is he always manages to nearly cut someone in half with a horribly mistimed lunge.
    But as some have said maybe if he's given a extended run he may come good.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 27 Jul 2017, 7:43 pm

Hanson looked the deal when he got a run of games about 2 years ago. Where did that player go?

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6226

Post by CornwallRam on Fri 28 Jul 2017, 12:20 am

MadAmster wrote:Hanson looked the deal when he got a run of games about 2 years ago. Where did that player go?

When he played for the U21s he looked a real prospect. His best role was sitting in front of the back four, sweeping up everything and launching inch perfect long balls into the paths of runners. He didn't run very much, but controlled the game. He was also the skipper and was clearly in charge of the whole team on the pitch - organising the defence, pushing midfielders on etc. To add to that his free kicks and corners were better than anyone else's at the club, and he'd also try a couple of forty yard shots every game - winning many corners and the occasional goal. He was a player that oozed confidence.

His performances for the first team have looked very timid in comparison. I'd say that the problem is that confidence is a key part of his game, and he hasn't had the chance to develop that in the first team. It could be that he suffers from being surrounded by the bigger personalities of the first team. However, I reckon that it's more that he's being constantly played out of position and never allowed to show what he can do as holding midfielder/deep lying playmaker. If memory serves he was played as a full back last season - and he just isn't one of those.

Assuming that we're going 433 and that Huddlestone is the holding midfielder, that Hanson should be his direct cover when needed (assuming that Thorne's escalating hamstring injury prevents him from playing for us again). Hanson should also be made captain of the U23s and encouraged to recapture some of his old swagger.

Last edited by CornwallRam on Fri 28 Jul 2017, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 28 Jul 2017, 7:39 am

CornwallRam wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:Hanson looked the deal when he got a run of games about 2 years ago. Where did that player go?

When he played for the U21s he looked a real prospect.

True, but my point, is that in the period, about 2 years ago, when he had a run of games in the 1st XI due to GT being injured, he looked the real deal in the 1st XI.

His being played everywhere but as DM might be the reason, as you say.

valakari

Post by valakari on Fri 28 Jul 2017, 8:18 am

If he was the answer in DM, he had a chance whilst George Thorne was out injured. At no stage has he been thought of as good enough...so much so that Rowett has now bought Huddlestone. He has no future at Derby

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 24 Aug 2017, 12:01 am