MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13553
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Derby 0 Woles 2 match comments

Post by MadAmster on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 4:55 pm

Creativity. Lack of.

Defence. Ripped apart at times.

Work needs to start as opposed to being in progress.

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    norfolkram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 514
    Registration date : 2014-11-19

Re: Derby 0-2 Wolves reports and comments

Post by norfolkram on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 4:58 pm

Shower of shite.

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15719
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 0-2 Wolves reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 4:59 pm

The only change to the Derby team and subs that travelled to Sunderland was the omission
    of Vydra from the bench owing to a hamstring problem. Wolves fielded the attacking 3-4-3
    formation that beat Middlesbrough last Saturday.

Derby started brightly, attacking mainly through the very quick, hard-working Weimann on the
    left and Wisdom on the right. The Rams didn’t create scoring chances, mainly because Weimann
    didn’t get support quickly enough, the Rams' movement was poor, and Martin was left isolated for
    most of the time, but they did win a few corners. Wolves’ attacks were less frequent but they put
    the Rams' defence under a lot of pressure, because they weren’t closed down.

The visitors scored when Douglas netted from a cross from the right on 32 minutes. Encouraged
    by the goal, Wolves had more of the play with quick movement and high quality technical skills.
    The Rams continued to stand off too much and struggled to contain their opponents. Davies and
    Wisdom narrowly prevented more Wolves’ goals. Derby showed little in attack after going behind.
    HT Derby 0-1 Wolves

From the start Davies headed over the bar from a fine Butterfield cross. Russell had a great chance
    on his left foot but he shot straight at the keeper. At the other end, Wisdom made a brilliant last
    ditch tackle to dispossess Jota in a one-on-one situation. Wolves were able to carve through the
    Derby midfield at will, because Derby couldn’t cope against the 3-4-3 formation, and Wolves should
    have scored on several occasions. In a rare Rams’ attack, Johnson forced a good save from Ruddy,
    and he also headed wide from the resulting corner

Nugent and Bryson replaced Russell and Butterfield on 62 minutes and Derby switched to a 4-2-3-1
    formation with Nugent supporting Martin. The Rams began to play better one touch football but they
    still failed to create good openings in the final third, because the players didn’t move to support each
    other. On 71 minutes Anya came on for Weimann. A fast attack by Jota, who beat Huddlestone easily
    gave Cavaleiro a good chance to double Wolves’ lead on 76 minutes. A Johnson header forced a great
    save from Ruddy but Derby couldn’t capitalize on the corner (or any of their set pieces).
    FT Derby 0–2 Wolves

Derby were clearly second best. The 4-3-3 formation doesn’t work against better sides and the team
    needs more of an overhaul than some thought. We have have too many players who haven’t been good
    enough, skillful enough, or fast enough for several seasons, and we lack a range of good attacking ideas.
    On the other, hand Wolves have clearly bought well, including some quality foreign players.

Last edited by RRC on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14507
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 5:15 pm

I'm rather annoyed at the minute. Did any Derby player actually want the ball. Johnson like a headless chicken no protection for Forsyth, Russell is just Russell, Butterfeet is exactly that, Keogh the Creator thinks he's a forward when he's just a shit defender, Martin's first touch was diabolical. There didn't seem to be a formation or any idea.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23025
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 5:18 pm

Oh well

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 5:19 pm

Back to the drawing board !

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 5:19 pm

Back to the drawing board !

swadieram

Number of posts : 1226
    Registration date : 2009-04-22

Post by swadieram on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 5:43 pm

Said it before the start of the season ( last season & the one before that ) , We will never win anything as long captain calamity is playing for us !

Last edited by swadieram on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    darthdmun

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 79
    Number of posts : 1929
    Registration date : 2009-03-02

Post by darthdmun on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 5:49 pm

Starting to have my doubts over Rowett too, Nervous but baming it all on Rowett is not the answer ......yet. I guess we will know better after 10 games if this season is another lame duck season. Also it will depend on who he brings in before the end of the month, i was a litttle concerned when he said we need just one signing however.
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 492
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 5:54 pm

We looked reasonable without being threatening up until around the 35th minute.

I dunno what happened but we went from a moderate team to a shambles with too many players not showing and no coherence at all.

MOTM will no doubt be Keogh because he played... IMHO, there is a fundamental problem when the manager's representative on the pitch is unable (and it seems, unwilling) to pick up or organise his manager's team when the heads drop.

Ther were times today when we were crying out for someone to organise the players on the pitch. That should be our captain.

Obviously the players take individual responsibility, but the job of captain means soemthing and requires more that we got from ours today?

Anyway, Keogh did a fair bit of waving his arms for the benefit of the crowd (at Wisdom this time).

From today's showing Huddlestone, Davies and Wisdom must be wondering what the hell is going on to have Keogh as their captain.

I'm only saying what I saw. I don't blame him for his OG, his misplaced passes or his poor headers. I accept that he made a couple of decent tackles early on... but he is no captain IMHO.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6224

Post by CornwallRam on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 5:55 pm

That was relegation standard. Wolves will be mid-table to lower half. We deserved to lose by more.

If we persist with 433 we'll struggle get out of the bottom half and might even get sucked into a relegation scrap.

Martin's lack of pace makes him easy to nullify, especially with no players willing or able to get close to him the way Bryson, Ward and Russell used to. Weimann's pace was our only attacking plus point, but he seemed to tire later on, and isn't quite good enough on the ball to fully capitalise on the opportunities he creates for himself. Russell just seems to have lost his mojo - and he was never brilliant before.

Yet the attacking frailties are dwarfed by our midfield problems. Johnson looked slow and lacking in quality - and he was our best midfielder today. At least Johnson tried to tackle and attempted to get forward occasionally. Butterfield is slow of body and mind and tackles like delicate flower. He's a liability. Worryingly. Huddlestone has the pace of snail and offers no protection for our back four - and the DM is the key player in our 433. Huddlestone is the wrong player for that position. He's a less mobile Mascarell.

Our defence wasn't too bad overall, but there was still too much tippy-tappy instead of forward passing. Both of the full backs made mistakes, but were probably our best two players by managing average performances. Keogh was his typical shouty panicky self and Davies is worse on the ball than Shackell.

If Rowett doesn't start rebuilding from tomorrow, he'll be gone by Christmas. 433 doesn't need a bit of tinkering - it needs consigning to history. I'm happy to take defeats whist a new system is shaped, but I can't cope with a continuation of our last three years of failure.
    Mucker1884

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10233
    Registration date : 2009-07-22

Post by Mucker1884 on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 6:09 pm

New England Ram wrote:Back to the drawing board !

Much more of that, and I'll be going back to the bloody racecourse touchlines on a Sunday morning!

For the first time since God was a lad, I was already on my way out the doors when the final whistle went.

I've spent the last month reading about Tom Huddlestone being able to splay passes left right and centre, and yet left today under the impression that each and every Wolves player bettered him on that score. That last 30 mins was embarrassing. Wolves took the piss!
    Loughborough Ram

Number of posts : 11112
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 6:38 pm

utter sh*t!!!

I left with 8 minutes to go, I was bored and regretted not leaving earlier. I can't even remember the last time I left before the final whistle, in fact my 14 year old son said that he'd never known it since he has been watching.

I'm sick to death of our 'team' playing slow, ponderous, tedious, negative football. With every new manager there's a brief promise of something different, something exciting, but that soon disipates seemingly as the will of the squad, full of one trick ponies takes over and drags us back.

WE HAVE TO CHANGE, whether thats system, players, culture because........IT DOESN'T fishcaking WELL WORK.

To say that today was dissapointing is to under play it by a thousand times, and where we go from here looks worrying, so I'll be praying for divine help because everybody at the club seems beyond answers.
    norfolkram

Post by norfolkram on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 7:22 pm

As Einstein said the definition of stupidity is doing the same things over and again and expecting a different result.
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 8:10 pm

At airport now and so missed with it all. I really don't know where we go with this lot. Absolute garbage. Ripped apart out battled and fucked.

Never in have I lost the will to book a flight to come over to see derby but I can say I don't have the motive to book next one..... I will but not at this moment ..
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 8:15 pm

Not seen it clearly sounds shi* and the hysteria even worse.
    I expected a draw at best it's been clear to me and others that we still do not have enough power and pace in the team.
    I hope that it's only our struggles in the transfer market as an excuse for Rowett not to have addressed that as opposed to him thinking we were going to be competitive which if that's the case would be worrying.
    I could point out we lost 1-0 at home to Oldham first game in our promotion season under Coxy....but that was a team with a plan and a formation that worked.
    Things can change and hopefully for the better and not worse...starting with Nugent to lead the line for me along with Vydra when fit.

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6224

Post by CornwallRam on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 8:41 pm

New England Ram wrote:Not seen it clearly sounds shi* and the hysteria even worse.
    I expected a draw at best it's been clear to me and others that we still do not have enough power and pace in the team.
    I hope that it's only our struggles in the transfer market as an excuse for Rowett not to have addressed that as opposed to him thinking we were going to be competitive which if that's the case would be worrying.
    I could point out we lost 1-0 at home to Oldham first game in our promotion season under Coxy....but that was a team with a plan and a formation that worked.
    Things can change and hopefully for the better and not worse...starting with Nugent to lead the line for me along with Vydra when fit.

It's not the loss, or even the performance that is the annoying thing. It's that it's the same players (with a couple of like for like replacements), the same formation, the same slow build up, the captain and the same inability to break down an average but organised side.

433 has not been a disaster, but with every passing game, more teams work out how to counter it and without Hughes's ability to carry the ball and Ince's goals, I fear that it has gone from 'not quite being good enough' for promotion to making a relegation fight likely.

4231 would make us more dynamic, 352 would utilise our current squad better, 442 can be such a flexible formation, hell even 235 would make it a laugh...but 433 with Martin as pivot, a DM and Keogh as captain is a busted flush.

Last edited by CornwallRam on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14507
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 9:19 pm

CornwallRam wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:Not seen it clearly sounds shi* and the hysteria even worse.

It's not the loss, or even the performance that is the annoying thing. It's that it's the same players (with a couple of like for like replacements), the same formation, the same slow build up, the captain and the same inability to break down an average but organised side.

433 has not been a disaster, but with every passing game, more teams work out how to counter it and without Hughes's ability to carry the ball and Ince's goals, I fear that it has gone from 'not quite being good enough' for promotion to making a relegation fight likely.

4231 would make us more dynamic, 352 would utilise our current squad better, 442 can be such a flexible formation, hell even would make it a laugh...but 433 with Martin as pivot, a DM and Keogh as captain is a busted flush.

Another quality post Cornwall.
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 846
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 9:29 pm

I bought my first ever Rams home shirt today, before the match. Nearly took it back after the match mismatch!

Its pretty much "same old, same old", so I'll start like I aways used to, with the ref. On the way to the match I thought "Oh dear, its that Probert guy. He is pretty well known, so he'll be a bad-un. After 5 minutes, he'd let two tackles go that almost every other FL ref would have blown for. "Oh good, he's a homer" was one option - not much chance of that, we never get a homer - or "give him 15 - 20 minutes, and he'll flip". Flip he did, and we got a deluge of absolutely awful decisions. Same old, same old. Yet his performance didn't cost us the match, we did that all by ourselves. Same old, same old.

In the first half, we showed some promise. I was expecting dour, methodical stuff, but there was quite  a bit of promise, without actually creating much in the way of a clear cut chances. It looked like it could be a very interesting match, because Wolves looked to be considerably improved over what they've turned out in recent seasons.

The main worry was the number of times that Wolves played defence-splitting diagonal balls out to the wingers who were always in acres of space. The lad next to me pointed out that we seem to be baffled by Wolves playing 3 at the back, 4 in midfield, so we didn't seem to know whether the full backs or the wingers should be picking the Wolves wing men up. So neither of them did, with our full-backs tear-arsing back to cover when we were already under pressure. And although we had Weimann and Russell on the wings, they spent an awful lot of time infield,which would suggest they were playing to orders, and which is probably why they didn't track the wingers back. A big worry is that in his post-match interview, Gary told us that they knew that Wolves played diagonal balls out to the wing, and that was a main part of their strategy, yet he appeared to have done nothing about it, or even made it worse by stopping our wingers from tracking back and challenging their wingers.

And although we have improved our defence considerably, they are keeping that fact pretty well disguised on the pitch. So when the ball went out to the right to the Wolves player who crossed the ball in, I knew it was going to be a goal. And the amount of time to steady and take the shot was ridiculous. CLOSE HIM DOWN - YOU ARE A DEFENDER! The fact that the shot looked to be going wide until it hit Keogh didn't really matter.

That was it, really. We had about 15 minutes where we looked OK, but those 15 minutes were spread spasmodically throughout the whole 90, or should I say the whole 75, because the last 15 minutes were just killing time. Oh, and another dreadful refereeing decision from Probert, because he added 3 extra minutes after we should all have been going home. Terrible.

Wisdom did OK, with one standout tackle, but several give-aways when in possession. Martin gave of his best, but the best he got were high-speed long crosses which he had to really stretch to get his head anywhere near, let alone lay-it off to someone. Apart from much of the game there wasn't anyone near him, so it looked, as someone has already commented, that he was his usual ineffective self. He needs the ball playing to feet, and people near him, both in front and behind, so his lay-offs actually get laid-off to one of our players. Sadly, Russell's match depends on loads of endeavour, but today he didn't seem bothered - is he looking over his shoulder at the alleged new singing which could put him out of a job?

There is a lot of work to do, and it is early in the season, but I wasn't expecting to come out of the game feeling like I did at the end of last season when I was so close to not renewing the season ticket. No, I don't expect free-flowing, sexy football, certainly not with Rowett in charge, but neither did I expect to see a Rowett side with a lack of organisation and passion, with a number looking like they just couldn't be bothered.

Roll on 10 game's time when Gary will have got the problems all ironed out and the team playing like a well-oiled machine! COYR!

Posted from my Android passion for Derby County.
    norfolkram

Post by norfolkram on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 10:12 pm

CornwallRam wrote:That was relegation standard. Wolves will be mid-table to lower half. We deserved to lose by more.

If we persist with 433 we'll struggle get out of the bottom half and might even get sucked into a relegation scrap.

Martin's lack of pace makes him easy to nullify, especially with no players willing or able to get close to him the way Bryson, Ward and Russell used to. Weimann's pace was our only attacking plus point, but he seemed to tire later on, and isn't quite good enough on the ball to fully capitalise on the opportunities he creates for himself. Russell just seems to have lost his mojo - and he was never brilliant before.

Yet the attacking frailties are dwarfed by our midfield problems. Johnson looked slow and lacking in quality - and he was our best midfielder today. At least Johnson tried to tackle and attempted to get forward occasionally. Butterfield is slow of body and mind and tackles like delicate flower. He's a liability. Worryingly. Huddlestone has the pace of snail and offers no protection for our back four - and the DM is the key player in our 433. Huddlestone is the wrong player for that position. He's a less mobile Mascarell.

Our defence wasn't too bad overall, but there was still too much tippy-tappy instead of forward passing. Both of the full backs made mistakes, but were probably our best two players by managing average performances. Keogh was his typical shouty panicky self and Davies is worse on the ball than Shackell.

If Rowett doesn't start rebuilding from tomorrow, he'll be gone by Christmas. 433 doesn't need a bit of tinkering - it needs consigning to history. I'm happy to take defeats whist a new system is shaped, but I can't cope with a continuation of our last three years of failure.

So basically on this showing the player's Rowetts brought in are no better than what we already had,where have i heard that before
    Cornish Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : Sheff Wed at home, 25/10/89 - Won 2-1.
    Number of posts : 1869
    Registration date : 2009-03-14

Post by Cornish Ram on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 10:52 pm

Well that wasn't worth the trip up from Bristol, no wonder my parents and brother didn't renew!

All been covered really but Dave and CR have pretty much covered what I thought, so bloody slow and feeble everywhere, very disappointed.

I predict 20k on Tuesday if we are lucky.
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4245
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 7:25 am

I feel for GR up to a point he has inherited a bad squad, and has to try and get something from a bunch of no-hopers.
    Tactically we fell way short and the ability to change things up is not within this squad.

Personally, I would go with a 4-4-2 all season and take what losses it brings, we will just have to get rid gradually of the expensive flops IMHO.

Mel if you are listening, get in the office Monday early and find out what we are doing to find/make hungry young players. Where are we scouting, what is happening in the junior squads, get someone there motivated with a plan of action to move us forward.

Any RAMS fan is going to be feeling the pain this season, but we will need to understand shifting this useless lot and buying new will take time.

Preston should be a good measure next game, if we can't do anything against them I fear it is going to be a long season. Afraid Flogging dead horse

Every man dies, not every man truly lives.

Braveheart
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3634
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 7:40 am

GR talks a good game but the team looks no better than it did last season. Slow build up in attack, easily overrun in midfield, vulnerable in defence.

We scored fewer goals last season than any team in the top half of the division, but GR hasn't strengthened our attack. In fact he sold our top scorer without replacing him.

In his post-match interview GR said "We have enough quality on the pitch to create chances and score goals." Really ? I was waiting for the interviewer to ask him "So why isn't it happening and what are you going to do it ?" but the question never came.

We must improve in the next game.

ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 3926
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 9:02 am

Yesterday was awful.
    It all started with the Team Selection which was far too conservative for a home match. That central midfield is never going to work at home because none of the three have the ability to get up to support Chris Martinand all three are very slow andponderour on the ball. It even appeared that Rowett that had asked our wide men to tuck in to get in and around Martin which didn;t work and meant that we lacked width throughout the game. It really is time to ditch 4-3-3 but if not you have to pick thebest players for the position, how Butterfield and Johnson both get in ahead over Bryson I will never know. Bryson must start Tuesday to give his more dynamism in midfield. Russell, Johnson and Butterfield were all exceedingly poor and should have all been taken off long before they were (in Johnson's case how he stayed on the pitch and just seemed to get moved about to cover our substititions I couldn't understand) We just never looked like breaking Wolves down first half and second half when we did create a few chances it seemed to open us up so that Wolves started to create or b given great chances - we could easily have lost 4-0.
    My biggest worry is the constant reverting back to 4-3-3 and the reliance on more slow ponderous build up play. We are currently worse than last season because we have sold our two most creative players without replacing them but Rowett is still far from getting the best out of what he has got to choose from
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13553

Post by MadAmster on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 11:48 am

For once, I was concise in my OP. Thanks to you all for putting the right meat on the bones I provided.

Underwhelmed is too positive a term for how I feel about that failure.

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 10:57 am