Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5207
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Re: Derby 0-2 Wolves reports and comments

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 11:50 am

Here's an email I've sent to a Wolves' fan friend this morning:

As the Rams have opted out of the EFL's media coverage and created its own stand alone TV channel, I've a number of friends (no, really) who are lifelong Rams' fans living in far flung places such as New York, Cyprus and Amsterdam who were all able to watch the club's live feed (for £110 annual subscription) yesterday.

To a man (and woman, she's in California), they wished that they hadn't.

You've clearly already mastered the knack of winning 1-0 but we were so poor by all above accounts that you even ruined that sequence.

(and I quoted the eloquent CornwallRam):

"4231 would make us more dynamic, 352 would utilise our current squad better, 442 can be such a flexible formation, hell even 235 would make it a laugh...but 433 with Martin as pivot, a DM and Keogh as captain is a busted flush."

Things have started to go wrong since GR made Shaggy (It wasn't me") his captain, with Huddlestone and Davies wondering why the hell.

We've sold our best footballer and only individual attacking threat, and now look like a functional GR team but with no pace and no support for Martin. 433 should have been strangled after Wembley, but player power seems to have won again. He has tried other formations but it appears Captain Calamity and his motley crew have won the day.

On a completely unrelated topic, watch out for the entirely fictitious November issue of the Rams soap opera. It goes something like this:

Chairman Mel: "What the hell's wrong this season Dicky?"

Captain Dicky: "Obviously, erm,like I said, I can't put my finger on it Mel. Erm, obviously, the gaffer's trying a new formation, and like I said and the lads just don't think it suits them. He's not done anything silly like shagged the physio's wife so I can't use that excuse - we'll have to revert to the Clement excuse of not playing the Derby Way, - oh, hang on, we failed that time because, obviously, like I said, Clement was the only manager to NOT make me captain."

CM: "But he got us into 5th, and we were top for a time,.... and he kept Swansea up".

CD: "erm, obviously ,like I said, beginners luck Mel."

CM: OK Dicky. shall I sack him in the morning or wait for a pre-emptive North Korean nuclear strike so that no one notices?"

CD: "Obviously, like I said, I'd do it tomorrow Mel."

CM: " OK. Are you coming round for tea again tonight, Dicky?"

Disclaimer -
    The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this imaginary soap opera are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred.
    chicken
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14507
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 12:41 pm

Brilliant.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23025
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 1:02 pm

CornwallRam wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:Not seen it clearly sounds shi* and the hysteria even worse.
    I expected a draw at best it's been clear to me and others that we still do not have enough power and pace in the team.
    I hope that it's only our struggles in the transfer market as an excuse for Rowett not to have addressed that as opposed to him thinking we were going to be competitive which if that's the case would be worrying.
    I could point out we lost 1-0 at home to Oldham first game in our promotion season under Coxy....but that was a team with a plan and a formation that worked.
    Things can change and hopefully for the better and not worse...starting with Nugent to lead the line for me along with Vydra when fit.

It's not the loss, or even the performance that is the annoying thing. It's that it's the same players (with a couple of like for like replacements), the same formation, the same slow build up, the captain and the same inability to break down an average but organised side.

433 has not been a disaster, but with every passing game, more teams work out how to counter it and without Hughes's ability to carry the ball and Ince's goals, I fear that it has gone from 'not quite being good enough' for promotion to making a relegation fight likely.

4231 would make us more dynamic, 352 would utilise our current squad better, 442 can be such a flexible formation, hell even 235 would make it a laugh...but 433 with Martin as pivot, a DM and Keogh as captain is a busted flush.

I would have started the season with 4-4-2 with Nugent and Vydra up top.
    Not sure if any of our current squad could be solid enough to create two good banks of four ..sound defensively with enough in the tank to supply and support the front two.
    But for me it's easier to accommodate ordinary in 4-4-2 and to be able to play better ( if organized) than you actually are.

MadAmster

Number of posts : 13553
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 2:30 pm

Cornwall wrote:

433 has not been a disaster, but with every passing game, more teams work out how to counter it and without Hughes's ability to carry the ball and Ince's goals, I fear that it has gone from 'not quite being good enough' for promotion to making a relegation fight likely.

It was great while it lasted. Like anything in sport, it doesn't matter what the tactics are. What does matter is that you have the players to execute those tactics well. At the moment we don't have the players to successfully play 1-4-3-3 utilising a target man.

Martin is as good a target man as you will find at this level. However, he is not getting the service. Even when he does get a half decent ball there is nobody up in support.

I am intrigued to see what GR is planning to do to rectify this position.

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    norfolkram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 514
    Registration date : 2014-11-19

Post by norfolkram on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 2:56 pm

Has Rowett been lumbered with Martin thanks to Mcclaren, if he's as good a target man as some think how come nobody has tried to buy him,did fulham have a lucky escape
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13553

Post by MadAmster on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 3:02 pm

norfolkram wrote:Has Rowett been lumbered with Martin thanks to Mcclaren, if he's as good a target man as some think how come nobody has tried to buy him,did fulham have a lucky escape

His just having signed a new 4 year deal will have an impact on clubs going for him.

Oh David Nugent, Oh David Nugent, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston, we found him in Preston at the side of the road in a Volkswagen beetle............
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4359
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 9:49 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    Cornwall wrote:

It was great while it lasted. Like anything in sport, it doesn't matter what the tactics are. What does matter is that you have the players to execute those tactics well. At the moment we don't have the players to successfully play 1-4-3-3 utilising a target man.

Martin is as good a target man as you will find at this level. However, he is not getting the service. Even when he does get a half decent ball there is nobody up in support.

I am intrigued to see what GR is planning to do to rectify this position.

Sam Gallagher on loan?
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6224

Post by CornwallRam on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 12:26 am

norfolkram wrote:Has Rowett been lumbered with Martin thanks to Mcclaren, if he's as good a target man as some think how come nobody has tried to buy him,did fulham have a lucky escape

Martin's effectiveness is now much reduced. He used to get marked by a centre half breathing down his neck. That played into Martin and Derby's hands. If the defender got too close, Martin would hit the ground and win a free kick. If the defender stood off, Martin would gather the ball in and lay it off to one of our players.

Now the opposition have figured out the if they stop martin they stop Derby County, so detail two players to do the job. A midfielder positions himself five yards in front of Martin to reduce the supply into his feet and be close enough to contest any lay offs. Then a centre half stays a few yards behind Martin ready to tackle if tries to turn, but the defender never gets sucked into allowing Martin to claim a dubious foul - and refs now consider Martin a diver so his ability to win any free kicks is seriously impinged. If Martin does complete a successful lay 0ff, the defender is perfectly placed to challenge our attacker as gets the ball from Martin.#

433 as we play it has been completely sussed.
    rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2005
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 8:45 am

new season same shite

4-3-3 and expensive flops who cant be arsed must be "the derby way"
    rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2005
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 8:46 am

Rowett could play other people - he does not have to play Martin (unless there is some stupid clause in his shiny new contract)
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 9:33 am

was sent this, this is example how we was being ripped apart,

https://twitter.com/CharlesM967/status/896806683615297536
    Manchester Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1977
    First ever game : 1980
    Number of posts : 307
    Registration date : 2009-03-02

Post by Manchester Ram on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 9:42 am

Having watched the game and it being early season and all, I am going to say that Wolves just looked a very good, well drilled team with bags of talent. Far too good for our lot at the moment. For me, most teams are going to struggle against them, at least for the first half of the season, at that point we will see if they their squad has a plan B, or even needs one.

KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 492
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 9:58 am

Wolves looked tidy and organised. Ruben Neves (their number 8) cost them a lot of money and looked premiership class. Otherwise they looked nothing special.

I don't think that Wolves were as good as Newcastle, Bournemouth, Swansea, and possibly Watford and Huddersfield as championship teams who have played us over the last few seasons and then got promoted to the prem.

I think that we'll be lucky if Wolves turn out to be the best team that we will play this season.
    Rowditch Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1976
    First ever game : Arsenal 1 Derby 3 1977
    Number of posts : 371
    Registration date : 2010-08-08

Post by Rowditch Ram on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 10:47 pm

Did anyone really expect things to improve after selling Hughes & Ince? After losing two such quality players the writing was surely on the wall. It's the County Ground tomorrow for me - at least it won't be boring ... although I might still be slashing my wrists  Flogging dead horse
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11112
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 11:25 pm

I expected things to improve Rowditch because I thought that Ince and Hughes would be redundant under our new system and all action style. If I had realised that we were going to play the same old system, at the same old pace then my thought process about those two sales would have been completely different.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1329
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 14 Aug 2017, 11:43 pm

..and Hughes can't even get on the bench for Watford...what a bloody waste! We just about gave him away in today's standards...another almighty cock up!
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4359
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 10:24 am

valakari wrote:..and Hughes can't even get on the bench for Watford...what a bloody waste! We just about gave him away in today's standards...another almighty cock up!

Don't know about you Val but barring injury that tells me a story.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 11:15 am