The Missing Link

Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10240
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

The Missing Link

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 1:50 pm

Based n the games so far this season I can't see where the goals are coming from wide positions to replace those scored by Ince last season. Several on here seem happy that he has left so where are those goals coming from.

I only hope if Lawrence signs that he can score a hat full or I can't see us winning many game otherise
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13744
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: The Missing Link

Post by MadAmster on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 2:16 pm

The major problem, in my eyes, is that the way GR is setting the team up as well as the limitations we have in certain positions is why we aren't creating anything like enough chances.

The midfield isn't giving Martin the ball he requires. They are also not supporting him by getting up alongside to receive his little flicks. The midfield lacks pace and creativity. Against Wolves Hudds, who has rightly been lauded for his inch perfect 50 yard passes, was unable to find a white shirt from 5 and 10 yards. Johnson was slow at times and when he did get into position he couldn't produce the goods. Butters seems like a cardboard cut out of the player he was before we bought him and when he first arrived. Defensively he is often out of position, doesn't seem to know how to jockey players, or tackle. In possession he runs with the ball until he reaches an opponent and then stops and plays the ball backwards, putting us where we were before he got the ball...... I really don't know what has happened to the lad. I would appreciate getting the old Butters back.

valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1430
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 3:42 pm

I would hope Rowett has seen enough of Butterfield....give him away
    whestonram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 252
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 6:54 pm

I would hope Rowett has seen enough of Butterfield....give him away

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep
    Mitten State Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 654
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 7:31 pm

So long as Butterfield plays in the middle of the park we'll score no goals and earn no points. Huddersfield did some great business in talking us into him for four mill. Bryson needs to start and hopefully recover the form he's capable of. Otherwise we're buggered.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15800
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 7:39 pm

Only one missing link? I think our problems run deeper than that.

We need -

- a defensive midfielder who can read the game, intercept passes and tackle
    - a creative midfielder who can make attacking openings quickly without resorting to hoofball
    - two wide players who can beat a defender occasionally and cross reasonably well
    - a striker with pace who can find the net regularly
    - players with enough ambition to be open to new ideas and change
    - players with enough backbone and initiative not to give up when things don't go well

I'm starting to feel sorry fo Rowett, because he's likely to pay for this ongoing mess
    with his job, even though he may not be too much to blame for it.

Btw I hope our next manager is an outsider who thniks "the Derby Way" is a minor road,
    not some grandiose way of saying this is the only way we can play. Pearson was a step
    in the right direction but probably too soon and too abrasive. We may have to get even
    worse before we're forced to address our problems, instead of hoping they'll go away.

DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 865
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 8:47 pm

MadAmster wrote:The major problem, in my eyes, is that the way GR is setting the team up as well as the limitations we have in certain positions is why we aren't creating anything like enough chances.

The midfield isn't giving Martin the ball he requires. They are also not supporting him by getting up alongside to receive his little flicks. The midfield lacks pace and creativity. Against Wolves Hudds, who has rightly been lauded for his inch perfect 50 yard passes, was unable to find a white shirt from 5 and 10 yards. Johnson was slow at times and when he did get into position he couldn't produce the goods. Butters seems like a cardboard cut out of the player he was before we bought him and when he first arrived. Defensively he is often out of position, doesn't seem to know how to jockey players, or tackle. In possession he runs with the ball until he reaches an opponent and then stops and plays the ball backwards, putting us where we were before he got the ball...... I really don't know what has happened to the lad. I would appreciate getting the old Butters back.

He was ruined by both Clement and Pearson, particularly Pearson. He is responsible for this cautious play it around for 15 years before even looking where the half-way line is, and it seems the Butterfield is finding it the hardest to shake off.

Having seen how Stevie Mac turned certain players around, e.g. Jake Buxton, I expected him to restorer Butters, but instead Mac lost his gung-ho, Keagan-esque "we'll score more than them" approach, and he too went cautious, so Butters was dead in the water.

I can see Martin wanting away before too long if this is how we are going to play. He has a hopeless task, as he did under both Clement and Pearson, because they didn't give him the ball to feet, and it is happening all over again. Oh for Brian Clough, who knew his player's strengths and played to those, instead of trying to force them to overcome their weaknesses. "Gladys" Hinton is a case in point: he couldn't tackle for toffee, so Clough never asked him too. But he could put the ball on a sixpence time and time again, probably with more accuracy than Huddlestone. So Clough played to this, and Hinton was worth a high proportion of Derby's goals, both scored, but more often made for others.

Gary was doing plenty of strutting and arm-waving during the match on Saturday, and looking frustrated, which makes us think that the players aren't carrying out what they've been asked to do. However this worries me, because the wingers playing so narrow and not tracking their wingers was a deliberate tactic. It left our full-backs exposed, and allowed Wolves to keep playing diagonal balls (a la Huddlestone) to their wingers who were always in acres of space. Even worse, Rowett knew that this was how Wolves liked to play, and even admitted it in his post-match interview, yet did nothing to counter the threat!

That was bad enough, but as I, and many others have already said, our forward play was hamstrung by the midfield hanging back, and not being quick enough getting forward. It might be the players not doing their stuff, and I think attitude was sadly lacking in many, but a large contribution to the malais was tactical. Was Gary showboating to load the blame onto the players? A friend who was sat near the dugout said that he had disappeared from the touchline with about 15 minutes to go.

Worrying.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4457
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 10:19 pm

Darren Moore was a missing link. (Don't tell him I told you!)
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1430
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 10:55 pm

Lawrence will help...but we need Bryson playing as well....and fingers crossed, Thorne too

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Oct 2017, 12:59 pm