Derby 1-0 Preston reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15770
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 1-0 Preston reports and comments

Post by RRC on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 9:43 pm

Derby made three changes to the team that lost to Wolves with Nugent, Vydra and Olsson
    replacing Martin, Butterfield and Forsyth in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Preston made one enforced
    change, because their DM Pearson, a key player in the 4-1-4-1 lineup, is suspended.

Carson – Wisdom Keogh Davies Olsson – Huddlestone Johnson – Russell Vydra Weimann – Nugent

subs: Mitchell, Baird, Pearce, Butterfield, Bryson, Bennett, Martin

The opening saw end to end attacks. Weimann should have scored in the second minute and
    Nugent headed over the bar. At the other end, Robinson forced a fine save from Carson. Vydra’s
    and Weimann’s energy and mobility made a big difference to the speed and linking of Rams’ attacks.
    When out of possession, Derby switched to two banks of four, which stopped their opponents
    from cutting through the midfield as Wolves did on Saturday. The defenders, aided by Johnson,
    worked harder and pressed a little better than usual, though they still needed to push up more.

Preston grew in confidence as the half went on and they enjoyed a lot of possession without
    managing many shots. At the same time, Derby’s play became scrappy, slower and less incisive.
    As the half ended, Olsson and Wisdom came into the attack more, linking up well with Weimann
    and Vydra. Derby had eight shots in the half to Preston’s two but neither side had more than
    one on target.
    HT Derby 0-0 Preston

The second half opened like the first. Weimann worked a great chance for Nugent to shoot but
    it was blocked. Then Hugill and Barkhuizen had shots blocked at the other end. Vydra missed
    with a header from a good Nugent cross, and a fine move by Weimann and Nugent was foiled
    by Preston. It took a powerful penalty by Vydra, which the keeper nearly saved, to open the
    scoring on 57 minutes. Bryson replaced Vydra on 68 minutes.

Huddlestone, who had a better game in a defensive pairing with Johnson, saved Derby when
    he beat Hugill to a corner at the back post.  Martin came on for Nugent on 76 minutes. The Rams’
    energy levels had dropped but Weimann was the exception. He seemed to be everywhere
    sparking Derby attacks. Russell was replaced by Bennett with five minutes to go. Keogh tackled
    Browne to stop a certain goal and Carson saved the deflection with his knee. This was a much
    better Derby performance. They created far more, though finding the net is still a problem.
    FT Derby 1-0 Preston

New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23079
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Re: Derby 1-0 Preston reports and comments

Post by New England Ram on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 9:56 pm

Didn't think we would score if we played all night even when we were creating chances.
    Then we get a penalty and I still didn't think we would score with our track record from the spot.
    Weimann a poor mans James Milner..bags of energy final ball not great but great energy levels.

Manchester Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1977
    First ever game : 1980
    Number of posts : 321
    Registration date : 2009-03-02

Post by Manchester Ram on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 10:08 pm

Thought Weimann, Olsson and dare I say it Captain Keogh had very good games
    KeoghKeogh

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 532
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Tue 15 Aug 2017, 10:47 pm

We looked fragile again. Thankfully Preston made few chances and didn't take any of them.

Keogh made one excellent through ball, made a few decent tackles and no obvious howlers. From Saturday and tonight I don't see Keogh having the respect of the three new guys - particularly Wisdom, then Huddlestone and lastly Davies. This needs sorting out.

The front 4 looked good and worked very hard but didn't quite link up at times / didn't quite take the chances that they had.

Martin looked really immobile when he came on. Bringing Bennett on when they had their tricky winger (Daryl Horgan - no 7) starting to get busy was a risky decision by GR.

It was a stonewall penalty that just scraped past their keeper.

It was a nervy win against a mediocre Preston team. But a deserved win.

and the officials were very poor.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13666
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 6:37 am

A huge improvement on Saturday's "performance".

Ref was poor. Thankfully his assistant spotted the infringement for the penalty which was struck firmly into the corner. Just as it should be. Their keeper got fingers on it which was more to his credit than Vydra's detriment.

Should have had a 2nd in the 2nd half. Shenanigans at a corner. The ref speaks to the defenders. Everybody gets back into position and Cunningham puts an arm round Bryson's neck to impede him, Brys twists and gets away from him, Cunningham comes back and repeats the arm/neck impedence and the ref does nothing..... nailed on spot kick not given. Just like he didn't give a myriad of fouls they committed...... bad day at the office for the ref.

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14561
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 6:42 am

KeoghKeogh wrote:We looked fragile again. Thankfully Preston made few chances and didn't take any of them.

Keogh made one excellent through ball, made a few decent tackles and no obvious howlers. From Saturday and tonight I don't see Keogh having the respect of the three new guys - particularly Wisdom, then Huddlestone and lastly Davies. This needs sorting out.

The front 4 looked good and worked very hard but didn't quite link up at times / didn't quite take the chances that they had.

Martin looked really immobile when he came on. Bringing Bennett on when they had their tricky winger (Daryl Horgan - no 7) starting to get busy was a risky decision by GR.  

It was a nervy win against a mediocre Preston team.  But a deserved win.

Wisdom did an excellent job of organising the defence last night. Far more vocal than Keogh, far more assured than Keogh too.
    KeoghKeogh

Post by KeoghKeogh on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 7:19 am

chicken wrote:
    KeoghKeogh wrote:We looked fragile again. Thankfully Preston made few chances and didn't take any of them.

It was a nervy win against a mediocre Preston team.  But a deserved win.

Wisdom did an excellent job of organising the defence last night. Far more vocal than Keogh, far more assured than Keogh too.

I agree that he was more vocal and that indicates the problem. Wisdom, Huddlestone and to a lesser extent Davies are experienced enough to see Keogh's limitations as a captain. That said, Keogh had one of his better games last night as a player.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1404
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 7:51 am

Ffs. Keogh did nothing wrong..leave him alone

chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 8:31 am

valakari wrote:Ffs. Keogh did nothing wrong..leave him alone

Oh I forgot he's untouchable in your eyes. The fact is, whether you want to like it or not, Wisdom was more vocal than Keogh last night.
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 3938
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 10:26 am

A much improved performance, though against much worse opposition. Vydra, Nugent and Weimann linked very well at times. Keogh and Wisdom were incredibly solid and Olson supported the attack well.
    The central midfield 2 did ok. I though Davies looked very shaky and missed a number of tackles and interceptions and seemed to keep putting the ball back into danger. Russell was again very poor for most of the first half but had a few better moments as the game went on.
    Overall a much better performance with far more desire and good football and we created a fair amount of chances. Was a little worried how much we sat back after we scored but at least we held on for the win without too many scares at the back.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13666
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 10:57 am

After we scored the full backs weren't as adventurous as they had been. That filled up the gaps that PNE had failed to take advantage of. Wise move I thought.
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4336
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 1:01 pm

Early days, but statistically, Keogh is head and shoulders above all other players so far this season.

http://www.squawka.com/football-player-rankings#performance-score#player-stats#english-football-league---championship|season-2017/2018#derby#all-player-positions#16#38#0#0#90#04/08/2017#16/08/2017#season#1#all-matches#total#desc#total
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5265
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 1:35 pm

You've seen the one about Alex Stepney being Manure's joint top scorer at Christmas in the 73/74 campaign, haven't you TGFD??

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15770
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 1:40 pm

thatguyfromderby wrote:Early days, but statistically, Keogh is head and shoulders above all other players so far this season.

http://www.squawka.com/football-player-rankings#performance-score#player-stats#english-football-league---championship|season-2017/2018#derby#all-player-positions#16#38#0#0#90#04/08/2017#16/08/2017#season#1#all-matches#total#desc#total

I wouldn'r take too much notice of these painting-by-numbers sites.

They always favour defenders (but not keepers), because they count negative
    and sideways passes between the back four the same as creative passes, which
    are much more difficult to do and have far more influence on games and results.

One pass which opens up the opposition and leads to a an attack and a goal is
    worth a lot more than Keogh to Davies and back, Keogh to Wisdom and back,
    Keogh to Carson and back, and so on. But these statistical sites can't allow for
    that, because it needs a value judgement, rather than +1 per pass.

For that reason, Squawka also rates Keogh as our 4th best attacker, ahead
    of Vydra, Weimann and the rest of the forward and midfield players.

Don't get me wrong - I think Keogh is doing fine but he's not our most effective
    player so far. I'd put Carson and Weimann ahead of him, to name but two.

KeoghKeogh

Post by KeoghKeogh on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 2:23 pm

Keogh played well enough last night. (not MOTM IMHO, but sound 7 out of 10 territory).

My point is about his performances over the two games as captain.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1404
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 7:35 pm

...and Davies will make a better captain?????...not sure how long he will keep his place..he is not as good as Keogh that is for sure
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 855
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 8:07 pm

Much better!

A different formation, Vydra opening things up to make it possible for the other players to take effect, and, I suspect, a huge kick up the backside did the job!

In particular Weimman shone brightly - he was his usual energetic and committed self on Saturday, but last night, playing a more central/free role he was much more involved and effective, along with working well with David Nugent. Johnny Russell had a really good night - yes he suffered some of the usual Russellitis, but had a much more positive influence, and ws a whisker away from a peach of a goal in the second half. I was surprised that he was still on the pitch in the second half, because as with all Alex Neil teams, he was very heavily clattered on two occasions, and needed treatment.

Sadly Preston played with all the finesse of a Neil team - if it moves kick it or punch it or wrestle it. And if it doesn't move, kick it or punch it or wrestle it until it does move, then kick it or punch it or wrestle it!

And the ref!!!! ????????????? !!!!!!!!!!! I suggested last year that there was a contest by the FL referees to be the worst one to have officiated at a Derby County match. Judging by what we have seen in only 3 matches, we are fast heading towards them needing a machette, chainsaw or Gatling gun to win this seson's prize. Incidentally, does anyone know which ref won the contest last season? Back to last night, I have heard refs booo'ed off at half time, but never have I heard one get nearly 2 minutes worth, and another load as he came back for the second half. Disgraceful.

A couple of instances - one, with Olsson on to a through ball down the wing and was taken out by a Preston goon who lifted him 2 feet up in the air. No free-kick. But it did get Bradley Johnson a booking - he threw his arms up and then down in shear frustration, and yelled at the ref (probably something along the lines of "how many more?", "open your eyes you blind gimp" ..........)

And the penalty, which despite the Red Dogs claims of it being a soft, dodgy decision, followed 4 or 5 attempts to take a free-kick, all thwarted by Preston's persistent all-in wrestling. I don't remember whether it was Bryson or Nugent who had a defender behind him with his arm right round our man's body, right in front of the ref. They made it obvious to the ref, who eventually came over and spoke to two defenders, but it carried on - they knew that if they'd been that obvious with no penalty against them, or booking, then they could do whatever they liked. The penalty was because Curtis Davies was wrestled to the floor, and was actually spotted by the linesman, 'cos the ref was never going to see anything!

Never mind the most obvious advantage ever wrecked by a man in black, or him stopping another breakaway because their number 9 pretended to hurt his head. The Preston man did have a shot, and kicked the ball once or twice, but otherwise went through the game kicking, pushing and Karate-chopping anybody within range. At least when he retires he has a career at Blackpool Zoo in the Gorilla enclosure!

Back to the match - Keogh had a great night, and Huddlestone was very influential, seemingly free of his groin strain. Johnson was less noticeable, unless he took a "back-seat" role to support the Hudd. He also quietened down after his yellow card, wisely. I wanted to see Mason Bennett given some time, in light of our new signing consigning him to the bench for ever. He only got 5 minutes but did plenty during that cameo.

I don't have any negative comments about our players, just very happy with the turn around, and with a little bit of luck in front of goal we could have had 2 or 3. It will only take one goal from open play, and the wooden, hinged devices which withold a huge quantity of water may well move on those hinges in such a way as to allow a deluge!

COYR!
    Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10232
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Thu 17 Aug 2017, 9:45 am

KeoghKeogh wrote:Keogh played well enough last night. (not MOTM IMHO, but sound 7 out of 10 territory).

As we are not party to pre match or half time you must be basing this comment on what you view from your seat which I assume is on the front row of all four stands so you can hear everything said by players (or have you a microphone attached to Keogh). I get that you don't want him as captain but how can you judge his performance as captain without being in the mix of the actual action

chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Thu 17 Aug 2017, 10:37 am

Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    KeoghKeogh wrote:Keogh played well enough last night. (not MOTM IMHO, but sound 7 out of 10 territory).

As we are not party to  pre match or half time you must be basing this comment on what you view from your seat which I assume is on the front row of all four stands so you can hear everything said by players (or have you a microphone attached to Keogh). I get that you don't want him as captain but how can you judge his performance as captain without being in the mix of the actual action

The crowd was that quiet, you could actually hear what was being said at times and if you were watching the back four, you could see who was organising things. I stand by my observations that Wisdom was far more vocal and commanding than Keogh.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 6:35 am