a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

What do we still need?

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11216
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

What do we still need?

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 3:33 pm

With a week and a half to go until the window shuts what do you reckon we still need?

A week ago the picture looked very different, I personally thought that we needed a new centre forward, a new central midfielder and 2 new wide men, but one week, 1 new signing, 2 matches and 1 new formation later the picture doesn't look anywhere near as bad, and personally I'd find it difficult to make a case for replacing any of those players that I worried about a short while ago.

Of course players can always be upgraded and you have to take into account the opposition in the two matches but hopefully these players in this formation will grow and get better with time and a greater understanding of the players around them.

This just goes to show that when a manager says "football is about the players not the system", they are just trying to cover their mistakes, the formation is a vital component of any successful team, hopefully Rowett has now realised that 4-3-3 doesn't work with these players.

So for me, stick with what we have unless a great deal lands in our laps.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5346
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Re: What do we still need?

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 4:01 pm

Broken record I know, but we need another centre half. I don't think Pearce is good enough and Shackell appears to be on his way out of the club.

That only leaves Wisdom and Baird - one covers the other at right full back. Hanson was tried pre season but I'm unsure.

Rawson?
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15846
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 5:55 pm

Despite the two wins, we've only got the Preston game as a guide - Bolton were
    too weak to tell us anything and we played badly in the 4-3-3 against Wolves.

The addition of Lawrence looks a major plus but, as with any player, he can only
    play in one position during a match. If we get our usual injury woes as the season
    goes on, do we have enough decent cover or will we fritter away points again?

We need players who are more like-for-like in several positions but these are
    critical imho -
    - creative midfield (Huddlestone/Butterfield)
    - defensive midfield (Thorne/Johnson)
    - striker (Nugent/Martin)

Last season's big problem was making good scoring chances and taking them.
    Huddlestone and Lawrence should help put that right, along with the switch
    away from 4-3-3.

We don't have any serious back up for the engine room, Huddlestone and
    Thorne. Johnson does his best but his passing and tackling are hit or miss,
    and Butterfield doesn't look good enough. Bryson doesn't fit either position
    and is a bit lightweight in any case.

I can't see Martin adapting well enough to the new system unless he can
    find a few yards of pace, which seems unlikely.

DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 871
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 6:30 pm

A decent ref wouldn't go amiss! Whistle
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 641
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 6:35 pm

A box-to-box midfielder with lots of energy (a Bryson of years past, but can tackle).
    rjrules71

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4282
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 7:12 pm

I think young GR may just know what he is about, and from past comments, I believe he wants players that can be flexible enough to meet the demands of a changing system, from week to week and game to game.
    Wolves exposed us as one-dimensional and this is where I think the manager will want to strengthen.

With Lawrence integrated, I think Martin will be much more effective as he works in and around him to benefit from the passes he can provide

With Vydra and Nugent forming a front 2 with movement and pace, I think that only leaves us wanting a big mobile unit in the Andy Carroll mould, who can work on scraps and hold the ball long enough to get us some respite in games where we may be under the cosh a bit and being forced to go 4-5-1.

Not sure where this individual is coming from but IMHO that will be the attacking/formation options sorted.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1465
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 9:47 pm

If Mason Bennet is going to be used,fair enough, but otherwise we need a decent winger.
    We also need to replace Butterfield with a better midfield player.
    The problem Rowett has, at centre half, Pearce isn't great, but he's prepared to sit on the bench.
    If we buy another, how do we sell it to him....unless Davies is prepared to be a sub as well...which i doubt! Shackell will not bench warm and now he is about fit, he will be offski, i assume.
    Can't believe we haven't moved Anya out yet, he is obviosly not in the plans...and we can't move Ollsson out as Lowe is still injured
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4488
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 10:22 pm

rjrules71 wrote:I think young GR may just know what he is about, and from past comments, I believe he wants players that can be flexible enough to meet the demands of a changing system, from week to week and game to game.
    Wolves exposed us as one-dimensional and this is where I think the manager will want to strengthen.

With Lawrence integrated, I think Martin will be much more effective as he works in and around him to benefit from the passes he can provide

With Vydra and Nugent forming a front 2 with movement and pace, I think that only leaves us wanting a big mobile unit in the Andy Carroll mould, who can work on scraps and hold the ball long enough to get us some respite in games where we may be under the cosh a bit and being forced to go 4-5-1.

Not sure where this individual is coming from but IMHO that will be the attacking/formation options sorted.

The rumours of Sam Gallagher appear to big getting louder, he fits that role.
    valakari

Post by valakari on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 11:48 pm

I agree..he is the one we want..whether it's permanent or loan will be the question..as is that others want him as well
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13797
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 8:07 am

It appears we all like the new speed up top and it will only get better when they get used to each other and the midfield gets used to getting the ball to them now rather than 38 sideways and backwards passes later.

We also have Martin which means we can now both run the channels with the quick lads on the park and play the hold up game provided Martin gets the ball into feet rather that at 100 mph aimed straight at his head.

Olsson has performed better than Fozzy and will keep the shirt as long as he continues to play this well. Having said that, neither he nor Weimann were as good as against PNE but still played well enough to keep the shirt. Fortunately, PNE levels weren't needed against a Bolton side that is going to struggle this season.

You have to feel for Mason Bennett. Had a good pre season and, based on what I saw on RamsTV and in K-Town, he should have started ahead of JR. Now Lawrence is here, he doesn't even make the bench. I think he will go..... and not out on loan.

Anya too looks superfluous to requirements as well.

Bryson is still not 100% with his muscle problem which is why he isn't starting. Butterfield looked better in the few minutes he got at Bolton but that is no measure to take notice of. He needs to become the Butters of 2 or 3 years ago or go.

The issue, to me, is that we don't have a like for like replacement for Nugent. If he is out we probably need Vernam to take the shirt...... or Mason Bennett.
    Sydney Smooth

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1946
    First ever game : 26th January 1946 - Rams 1-0 WBA
    Number of posts : 1116
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by Sydney Smooth on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 11:41 am

Charles Vernam is still coming back from a serious injury and Mason is likely to be going to Mansfield on a season-long loan.

The Worm Worrier is never likely to change his attitude and his approach to the game, he is living on his 'past glories', I wouldn't be averse to seeing him moved on but who is going to want him after his 'spit the dummy out experience' at Fulham and with the knowledge that referees have got him sussed.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15846
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 4:14 pm

MadAmster wrote:Anya too looks superfluous to requirements as well.

It's curious that Scotland still keep on picking Anya and Martin,
    but have not named Russell or Bryson for a while.

Do they know something that Derby fans don't?

RAMS PAIR NAMED IN SCOTLAND SQUAD

Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 641
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 6:17 pm

RRC wrote:

Perhaps it's just about the positions they feel they need to fill in their squad.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6264

Post by CornwallRam on Mon 21 Aug 2017, 10:09 pm

In an ideal world we'd buy Jack Colback, Dale Stephens, Lewis Dunk and Tammy Abraham. Sadly, in the real world we've more chance of growing clones of Bruce Rioch, Archie Gemmill, Roy McFarland and Charlie George - which'd do just as well.

I still think that if we're going to really compete we still need a couple of quality, mobile, combative midfielders, a calm centre half to skipper the side and a big mobile centre forward. It does seem odd that we are not looking abroad. Van der Laan, Solis (who was a fine player messed up by the three foreigners rule), Stimac and Wanchope would also be a useful quartet right about now.
    valakari

Post by valakari on Tue 22 Aug 2017, 12:49 am

Shame we don't have the 3 foreigner rule now..we might produce a national team capable of competing then! Also, how do you know we've not been looking abroad?
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4488
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Tue 22 Aug 2017, 7:38 am

valakari wrote:Shame we don't have the 3 foreigner rule now..we might produce a national team capable of competing then! Also, how do you know we've not been looking abroad?

I don't know if we have (or haven't) been looking abroad but in a forum I attended Mel Morris stated "Fine young British talent has more sustained reliability about them than international journeymen."

A view that (allegedly) appears to have been implemented in first team transfers.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13797

Post by MadAmster on Tue 22 Aug 2017, 7:45 am

RRC wrote:

Bryson is still carrying an injury. That could be the reason behind his being left out.

JR? Derby fans say he doesn't have enough end product. It seems the Scotland manager might agree.

Anya. Decent player who can fill numerous positions, full back or winger or midfield on both left and right. Still fancied by the Scotland manager but, it would seem, not by GR.

Coldplay? Still has a very good goals per game ratio and does it for Scotland. Not as prolific for them as he has been in club football but he does set goals up for them and, of course, international referees haven't sussed him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 2:13 am