RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15770
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Sheffield United 3-1 Derby reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 5:05 pm

Derby were unchanged for the third consecutive game -
    Carson – Wisdom Keogh Davies Olsson – Huddlestone Johnson – Russell Vydra Weimann – Nugent
    Subs: Mitchell, Baird, Pearce, Butterfield, Bryson, Lawrence, Martin
    Sheffield United included two former Rams, Paul Coutts and Kieran Freeman, who played well.

Sheffield United began the half well in control, pressing with high energy. Derby were too slow
    and careless with the ball, so they struggled to get any foothold in the game. The Blades’ efforts
    were rewarded when Carson miscued his clearance from a poor back pass by Huddlestone. Billy
    Sharp slotted the ball into the empty net on 4 minutes. Once again poor passing in the final third
    meant that Derby offered no threat, and Huddlestone was often too casual and sloppy. There was
    little sign of the Rams’ supposed quality.

After 20 minutes the Rams managed a few attacks, mainly started by Johnson. Weimann made a
    good run but overhit his cross to the well-positioned Vydra. Johnson created a chance for Weimann,
    but his shot was over the bar. Weimann made a great scoring chance for Vydra, but Vydra was
    thwarted by a fine saving tackle. On 40 minutes Russell, rushing to help the defence, knocked the
    ball into Derby’s net to double the Blades' lead. Wisdom won Derby’s first corner on 45 minutes but
    Russell wasted it. The Rams made little impression on the Blades, as often happens when teams
    press them hard. Few Derby players made any effort to match their opponents’ energy and speed.
    HT Sheffield United 2-0 Derby

The second half saw a more positive start by Derby but their crosses lacked the quality to trouble
    Sheffield. Their best chance came to nothing when Russell failed to control the ball and lobbed his
    shot tamely to the keeper. Martin and Lawrence replaced Nugent and Russell on 57 minutes.
    Lawrence had an immediate effect with an accurate cross from a free kick, but his over-enthusiastic
    tackling gave away free kicks and got him a yellow card. On the counter attack, Sheffield could have
    had a third goal from a superb cross but Davies managed to divert it. Johnson got a booking for a
    bad-tempered foul on Carruthers.

Bryson came on for Weimann on 71 minutes and Derby switched to a 4-4-2 lineup with Huddlestone
    in the holding role. These changes were followed by a resurgence from the Blades and Derby were
    once again struggling to keep up. Wisdom and Lawrence linked up well to create a good chance for
    Johnson but his header missed, and a Lawrence shot was just wide. At the other end, Carson made
    an excellent save, his first of the match. Lawrence delivered another good cross but Martin’s header
    was wide. Bryson made no mistake a minute into injury time with a good goal and the Rams showed
    some fight at last. Blades’ defender O’Connell should have been sent off for a second bookable offence
    when he fouled Lawrence but typically the referee Andy Madley bottled the decision. Carson saved a
    certain goal when Sharp broke but Sharp had his revenge when he broke again and scored in an
    empty net while Carson was up with the attack.
    FT Sheffield United 3–1 Derby

It’s beginning to look as if Derby’s quality is only going to be effective when their opponents give them
    time and space to play at their own slow tempo. If they need to work hard, press and chase to get into
    a game, they are exposed as lazy, static and careless.

New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23079
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Re: Sheffield United 3-1 Derby reports and comments

Post by New England Ram on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 5:15 pm

Build up too slow and too predictable and still a massive lack of mobility and speed in the side.
    Too many unforced mis placed passes in the first half in which we never even got a slow rhythm going.
    Carson cannot kick with his weaker left foot but Russell can use his weaker right foot.
    And the third goal was a farce as well why is an outfield player taking a free kick deep inside his own half and sending the keeper up !
    Three joke goals no pattern or pace to our play other than predictable dross.
    I'm going to think that 90 minutes might end up costing Mel a few more quid by the end of next week.

norfolkram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 527
    Registration date : 2014-11-19

Post by norfolkram on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 5:45 pm

Same old same old,another season same problem cant do the basics against organised teams
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2324
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 5:56 pm

Listened to it on RD and think they summed it up with players on half the derby wages wanting the ball and win more
    Giving 3 goals away will get you nowhere and rowett has a fortnight to work on this, hopefully we'll get it out the system early on in the season
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3672
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 8:44 pm

GR must be starting to understand how hard a job he's taken on. So far we've collapsed twice in the face of determined opposition, and his post-match interview today suggests he doesn't yet have an answer.

When an ex-international goalkeeper does what Carson did it must send the manager into despair. It certainly screwed up all the pre-match planning.

I wish him luck this season. He's certainly going to need it.

KeoghKeogh

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 532
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 10:06 pm

bramhallram wrote:GR must be starting to understand how hard a job he's taken on. So far we've collapsed twice in the face of determined opposition, and his post-match interview today suggests he doesn't yet have an answer.

When an ex-international goalkeeper does what Carson did it must send the manager into despair. It certainly screwed up all the pre-match planning.

As it saw it at the ground today. Huddlestone was screened by several Sheff U and Rams players when he unncessarily made the back pass. Carson wasn't expecting it. The back pass was quite heavy and to the left of Carson's goal. Carson set off late because he wasn't expecting it / didn't see it 'til late / wanted to avoid conceding a corner. He got to the ball at the wrong angle. He didn't seem to want to put the ball out for a throw and sliced it and the rest is history. It was a bad decision from Huddlestone; Carson should have kicked it out for a throw in.
    KeoghKeogh

Number of posts : 532
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 10:31 pm

A few quick thoughts from today. We were dire.

Bryson MOTM without many alternatives.

There was no leadership on the pitch. This needs to be sorted out so that we have a captain who takes on the captain's job of organising players, lifting heads etc.

I rate Wisdom but today he had a period or two when he didn't seemed bothered about doing his job. He made little effort to get back into position / defend when he lost the ball a couple of times. He also had a go an Bryson without any reason. He was frustrated but he seemed to throw his toys out. We don't need that.

Huddlestone was very cumbersome on the ball. Both he, Johnson, Weimann , Vydra and Wisdom got tangled up with the ball too often when they didn't have a pass available or couldn't make the easy one.

Johnson, Keogh, Martin and Lawrence didn't help when they mindlessly clattered or pushed players. The outcomes are obvious; we lose position and concern free kicks / cards.

Bryson, Weimann, Russell, Vydra and Nugent spent too long making runs with no end product; often without the ball. Because Huddlestone and Johnson in particular (but also Wisdom and Ollsen) seemed to have no idea which player would be making what run. Worse still, the forwards had a similarly poor level of understanding of who would do what.

Lawrence looked an improvement on Russell and Weimann (albeit the unnecessary clatter and card). Martin didn't do well when he came on (again).

GR needs to spend the break in choosing his main side and drilling them. One side. They need a handful of 11 v 11s so that the chosen midfield and forwards work out WTF they will do when we get the ball. With our current captain, the players need to be on autopilot during the game as they are getting no leadership on the pitch.

On today I don't think that new signings will make any difference; unless GR sorts out his team, system, movement and we sign / have someone who will bring leadership to the team.

Otherwise we'll continue to allow willing but limited players like Paul Coutts to think that he is Andreas Iniesta.
    bramhallram

Post by bramhallram on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 1:26 pm

KeoghKeogh wrote:
    bramhallram wrote:GR must be starting to understand how hard a job he's taken on. So far we've collapsed twice in the face of determined opposition, and his post-match interview today suggests he doesn't yet have an answer.

As it saw it at the ground today. Huddlestone was screened by several Sheff U and Rams players when he unncessarily made the back pass. Carson wasn't expecting it. The back pass was quite heavy and to the left of Carson's goal. Carson set off late because he wasn't expecting it / didn't see it 'til late / wanted to avoid conceding a corner. He got to the ball at the wrong angle. He didn't seem to want to put the ball out for a throw and sliced it and the rest is history. It was a bad decision from Huddlestone; Carson should have kicked it out for a throw in.

I suggest you watch the TV highlights. Huddlestone has nowhere to go so he looks up to see where Carson is, and then hits a straightforward back pass to the left of Carson's goal. It was the correct decision by Huddlestone, and the blame for the resultant goal lies squarely with Carson for totally scuffing his kick.

Carson is usually Mr Reliable in situations like that. Unfortunately he he wasn't on this occasion, but it doesn't make him a bad goalie.

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4434
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:34 pm

Carson has earned us 10 times more points than he has cost us.

I'll settle for that!
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 654
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 5:26 pm

Vydra's fluffed chance around 35ish min turned the game for me. Equalize there and it's a different affair. He's missed two open chances in as many weeks. I'm running out of patience with him. Scoring isn't as easy as we all like to think, sure. But if you're worth 8 mil then those chances are your job to score, no excuses.
    I
    Overall this team passes poorly, clod-footed balls behind players too often killing move forward before they develop. Seems like there are practice drills we could use to improve that feature of our play. What to do about Vydra, God knows.
    Loughborough Ram

Number of posts : 11177
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 6:08 pm

I have been away so I don't know much about the game but my feeling is that any team that drops points to Sheff Utd will regret it come the end of the season. They seem to me to be a lower half team who always have a chance because of having a prolific scorer in the team, but when he doesn't score they will struggle.

These are 3 points that a top team would take.........we aren't and we didn't.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4434
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 7:21 pm

Mitten State Ram wrote:Vydra's fluffed chance around 35ish min turned the game for me. Equalize there and it's a different affair. He's missed two open chances in as many weeks. I'm running out of patience with him. Scoring isn't as easy as we all like to think, sure. But if you're worth 8 mil then those chances are your job to score, no excuses.
    I
    Overall this team passes poorly, clod-footed balls behind players too often killing move forward before they develop. Seems like there are practice drills we could use to improve that feature of our play. What to do about Vydra, God knows.

That's an unfair opinion of Vydra Mitten. After an injury that caused him to miss 2 weeks of pre-season Matej is just getting up to speed but has still been one of the better players for us now he is being played in the hole behind the main striker.
    The reason we lost against the Blades was we gave them 3 goals, none of which were Vydra's fault.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5265
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 9:17 pm

SawleyRam wrote:
    Mitten State Ram wrote:Vydra's fluffed chance around 35ish min turned the game for me. Equalize there and it's a different affair. He's missed two open chances in as many weeks. I'm running out of patience with him. Scoring isn't as easy as we all like to think, sure. But if you're worth 8 mil then those chances are your job to score, no excuses.
    I

That's an unfair opinion of Vydra Mitten. After an injury that caused him to miss 2 weeks of pre-season Matej is just getting up to speed but has still been one of the better players for us now he is being played in the hole behind the main striker.
    The reason we lost against the Blades was we gave them 3 goals, none of which were Vydra's fault.

I like Vydra. I think he is a quality player at championship level.  Part of the issue is that he is possibly the only "team player" that we have in a Rowettesque team who is likely to produce some individual brilliance - so it places far more emphasis on him "producing magic" than in a team with two or three similar players.

The arrival of Lawrence may help share the burden, as long as they get playing time together.  The real quandary is the centre forward position.  Nugent was magnificent against Bolton, but irrelevant on Saturday - Martin did far more in his half hour yesterday, but in obviously a different way.

We need to decide how we are going to play, and stick to it.

To be fair to GR, he has picked an unchanged team, so he is trying to do this.
    Mitten State Ram

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 10:22 pm

All of last year Vydra played so seldom that it seemed fair enough to excuse him by saying that he was out of rhythm. He's lively and seems to have a good attitude, and I'm not rooting for him to fail. But if he's starting, then the implication is that he is match fit. He's played every match so far, so he's no more out of match form through lack of opportunity than anyone else can claim to be. His work rate may be fine, but his job is to score goals. Each of the last two Saturdays he has instead fluffed opportunities in which no professional striker should fail to at least force a save. That's not good enough. He wasn't solely to blame for our losing, I only claimed that an equalizer on 35 min after several minutes of better possession for us stood a high chance of changing the complexion of the fixture. Hard to remain very sympathetic toward a striker who doesn't score when he's through on goal.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1404
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 28 Aug 2017, 1:20 am

WTF was Carson doing for goals 1 and 3... and WTF was Russell doing for Goal 2???
    That is the problem that wont go away, individual errors costing goals.
    Lack of composure, basically for the first 2, and intelligence/desperation for the 3rd.
    In general, probably need to buy or loan another winger and play Lawrence as well.
    Get Thorne and Forsyth in after the international break...and have a look at Zanzala from the U'23's..he looks excellent!
    Mitten State Ram

Post by Mitten State Ram on Mon 28 Aug 2017, 2:49 am

Last goal, who cares. We shouldn't have been in that position, but being there Carson did the right thing. Go for it. Now Bradley Johnson's failure to play a ball into the box instead of saying it 93 min, on the other hand...

Last edited by Mitten State Ram on Mon 28 Aug 2017, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13666
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 28 Aug 2017, 8:40 am

It's only an assumption but Carson going forward will have been sanctioned by GR. Just as it is GR who has the team utilising a zonal defence. Having them NOT pressing when we don't have the ball etc etc etc.

I am not campaigning for getting rid of GR but the team will be playing to orders. His orders. There is a cracking XI somewhere in the squad. GR's challenge is to find a set of tactics that suit that XI as he can't go out and buy players to suit the current plan.

COYR!!
    Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10232
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Mon 28 Aug 2017, 4:31 pm

Due to parking restrictions on my wife's disabled pass we had to arrive early on Saturday so were in the ground when the keepers came out for their warm up.
    The first 10 minutes consisted on Poole and Mitchell passing balls to Carson to kick down the pitch using both feet, he seemed to hit them all to the half way line. Whether he panicked for their first goal or just mishit it I don't know but it did seem the exception rather than the norm
    Angus1

Number of posts : 61
    Registration date : 2017-02-15

Post by Angus1 on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 11:17 am

First time I have made it this season and still the main problem from last season hasn't been solved, lack of pace and mobility in midfield. We got overrun first-half, Coutts and Fleck ran the show and we were completely outplayed. Tactically we were terrible 2 central midfielders sat 5 yards in front of the centre-halfs all first-half even though we were losing, wide midfielders doing more defensive work than attacking, we went down the middle to Vydra and Nugent into a block of 5 home players, rather than going wide where we should have got 2 on 1 situations against their wing back system, which we did in the last part of the game.

Gary and the players need to look at that and it should never happen again, when the original plan is so clearly failing leaving it 55 minutes is nonsense. Lawrence looks a decent footballer, Wisdom is a big improvement on Christie as a footballer and the centre-halfs won all their defensive headers, we desperately need a dynamic midfielder though, a player who can cover ground at pace, get stuck into battle. Unless we get that player we look a mid-table team again. Coutts was never a pace player but he was running past our midfield players on Saturday a real worry we have to sort that this week.

Get the right player in the midfield and we could push towards top six, without that player I don't see much progress this season.

Loughborough Ram

Number of posts : 11177
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 11:47 am

It seems to me that so far this season Rowett isn't being true to himself. We aren't playing like I would expect a Rowett team to play and I can't understand why. It can't be a lack of signings because he transformed Birmingham when he arrived, with little or no transfer activity.

If he, and consequently we, are going to be successful, he has to do what he does best, pick his system and get the players doing what he instructs within that system, because at the moment, as Angus suggests, there seems a lot of wooley thinking.

So far this season I'm disappointed with Rowett and the players, none of them are performing as well as I expected nd hoped.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 12:50 pm

Mitten State Ram wrote:Last goal, who cares. We shouldn't have been in that position, but being there Carson did the right thing. Go for it. Now Bradley Johnson's failure to play a ball into the box instead of saying it 93 min, on the other hand...

Mitt your right last goal was irrelevant but farcical.
    I thought it was Olsson that took the free kick which was so deep I never saw the logic in sending a keeper forward would much rather the keeper hit it deep and have an outfield player higher up the pitch.

Much like I never understand the logic behind sending a keeper up for a last minute corner kick and leaving an outfield player sitting on the halfway line.
    In today's day and age the keeper should have enough ability with his feet to get the ball back in the box should it be cleared and he the one stuck on the halfway line.
    Whilst the outfield player has a higher percentage of doing something if he gets free in the other box.
    A keeper in a lot of cases might be one of the taller players but unless he is Poom he's more than likely not that great with his head.
    Just never makes sense to me when they send a keeper up and then leave an out field player back unless he's sat about 25 yards out.

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 12:54 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:I have been away so I don't know much about the game but my feeling is that any team that drops points to Sheff Utd will regret it come the end of the season. They seem to me to be a lower half team who always have a chance because of having a prolific scorer in the team, but when he doesn't score they will struggle.

I thought we would be a lot more direct and more high tempo under Rowett.
    Not necessarily better but that we would have a definitive style of play.
    But to me we again find ourselves somewhere between two or three different styles of playing and masters of none.

bramhallram

Post by bramhallram on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 1:15 pm

New England Ram wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:I have been away so I don't know much about the game but my feeling is that any team that drops points to Sheff Utd will regret it come the end of the season. They seem to me to be a lower half team who always have a chance because of having a prolific scorer in the team, but when he doesn't score they will struggle.

I thought we would be a lot more direct and more high tempo under Rowett.
    Not necessarily better but that we would have a definitive style of play.
    But to me we again find ourselves somewhere between two or three different styles of playing and masters of none.

I agree. GR talks a good game but, so far, the way we've played in our two defeats shows no obvious improvement on last season. I didn't expect us to beat everyone in sight, but I did expect to see a more high energy style of play.

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5265
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 3:03 pm

New England Ram wrote:
    Mitten State Ram wrote:Last goal, who cares. We shouldn't have been in that position, but being there Carson did the right thing. Go for it. Now Bradley Johnson's failure to play a ball into the box instead of saying it 93 min, on the other hand...

I thought it was Olsson that took the free kick which was so deep I never saw the logic in sending a keeper forward would much rather the keeper hit it deep and have an outfield player higher up the pitch.

Much like I never understand the logic behind sending a keeper up for a last minute corner kick and leaving an outfield player sitting on the halfway line.
    In today's day and age the keeper should have enough ability with his feet to get the ball back in the box should it be cleared and he the one stuck on the halfway line.
    Whilst the outfield player has a higher percentage of doing something if he gets free in the other box.
    A keeper in a lot of cases might be one of the taller players but unless he is Poom he's more than likely not that great with his head.
    Just never makes sense to me when they send a keeper up and then leave an out field player back unless he's sat about 25 yards out.

Neither can I - especially when it buggers up my first spot on GTS of the season !!  Bang head Bang head Bang head Bang head
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 6:02 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:

Neither can I - especially when it buggers up my first spot on GTS of the season !!  Bang head Bang head Bang head Bang head

LOL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 6:36 am