RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15846
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 5-0 Hull reports and comments

Post by RRC on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 9:37 pm

Derby made just two changes from the team that lost at Bramall Lane -
    Lawrence (Russell, bench) and Baird (Wisdom, ill)

Carson
    Baird Keogh Davies Olsson
    Lawrence Huddlestone Johnson Weimann
    Vydra
    Nugent

Winall and Russell replaced Nugent and Weimann on 72 minutes, and
    Martin came on for Vydra on 79 minutes.

Goals
    Vydra (15, 34), Davies (38), Johnson (45, 59)

I assume most fans will have seen the match at PPS, on Sky, or online,
    so I won't post a description of the game, just a few observations -

The Rams worked hard in both halves to press in midfield and it paid off.
    At last Vydra and Johnson showed why they're our most expensive players.
    Huddlestone had his best game since his return to Derby.
    As forwards go, Nugent is creative and very unselfish.
    Weimann is a terrific, accurate tackler.
    Lawrence delivers excellent corners and crosses consistently.
    Derby doubled their goal tally for this season.

kooklaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : god knows!!
    Number of posts : 68
    Registration date : 2010-10-01

Re: Derby 5-0 Hull reports and comments

Post by kooklaRam on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 9:50 pm

Loved the high energy pressing game,more please
    kooklaRam

First ever game : god knows!!
    Number of posts : 68
    Registration date : 2010-10-01

Post by kooklaRam on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 9:51 pm

Loved the high energy pressing game,more please
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1465
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 10:23 pm

Baird had a shocker 1st half. Keogh never put a foot wrong. Both Johnson and Huddlestone were immense. The team put in a shift. Nugent and Vydra played well together..as did Martin and Winnell when they came on..which bodes well. Lawrence is obviously the king of assists. Davies and Ollsson were just above average as was Carson and Russell..but only just. Very pleased with Rowetts comments when he said about Butterfield, "If I was only on a loan, I wouldn't be burning my bridges"...that was the best bit of the night for me..just when I thought it couldn't get much better!

Last edited by valakari on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4282
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 10:28 pm

8 Carson
    Showed the difference between a good keeper and a great one, made their penalty a laughing stock just by his movement. Very reliable can allow the odd fluff all the greats do it.

7.5 Baird ....took on Risicki and had him covered most of the night. Lovely cameo when he was showing Lawrence which manto follow when they were 2v2 down the wing. Great experience.

8 Keogh and Davis snuffed out anything they had to offer and weighed in with a lovely header.

8 Olsen...nuisance all night and was tackling back well also

7 Lawrence.. needs more game time but never stopped running and challenging all night. Some deft touches but needs to get his head up more.

9 Johnson MOTM ...strong tackling... good passing ...goals finally showed what we are paying for

7 Huddlestone.. some good tackles and passes lacks the pace now to really impact a game good replacement while we wait for Thorne

7 Weimann covered the left well and allowed Olsen to have a good game.

8.5 Nugent ... never gave their defence a minute popping up all over and providing the final pass for Vydras second.

8.5 Vydra.....showed some real class tonight hope he can build on this great performance. Sublime free kick to start the goals rolling.

Subs Russell ran around a lot, like the look of Winall but needs to be brought on steadily.

I still can't make up my mind if we were great or they were crap. The pace and movement off the ball was much better tonight, from backs to strikers in a blink on the counter.
    Great energy and closing down from Nugent onwards.

This was a great team performance don't expect it will last but you have to smile when it is that good.
    The only bad point for me is that other teams will set up differently now so they don't get mauled in similar fashion.

Do we have the ability to open that up ?

Once we find the key to that, top positions are ours for the taking.

Well done team, well done GR and staff, my smile will last the weekend for sure
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5346
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 11:15 pm

valakari wrote:Baird had a shocker 1st half. Keogh never put a foot wrong. Both Johnson and Huddlestone were immense. The team put in a shift. Nugent and Vydra played well together..as did Martin and Donnell when they came on..which bodes well. Lawrence is obviously the king of assists. Davies and Ollsson were just above average as was Carson and Russell..but only just. Very pleased with Rowetts comments when he said about Butterfield, "If I was only on a loan, I wouldn't be burning my bridges"...that was the best bit of the night for me..just when I thought it couldn't get much better!

Exactly what I thought. Options and goals from 4 players.

Olsson good offensively but still suspect defensively.

Possibly Keogh's best game in a Rams shirt.

Davies growing into his role. Compare and contrast his and Shackell's performance in a Rams shirt against their former clubs.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1465
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 12:40 am

...and Thorne is playing on tuesday according to Rowett....my fingers are crossed cos if he comes through...maybe he will play with Huddlestone with Johnson moving up the left as he hinted is where he wants to play him
    asotrsott

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Derby V Telford Utd 1984
    Number of posts : 387
    Registration date : 2013-07-05

Post by asotrsott on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 1:02 am

GT is not the Messiah! Now Blunderfeet The Crab has left, shows how attacking we can be! Just wish someone would teach Carson to kick out better! Other than that.......

celebration Drink happy Thumbs up
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2589
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 4:08 am

For once I was able to watch a Derby County game that was glorious. They played great and it was a joy to behold.
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 567
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 7:45 am

A very good performance. Hull looked like they wouldn't score even though they had several decent chances. We looked like we would score from all of ours.
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4346
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 7:59 am

Vydra, Nugent, and Lawrence look like they've started to develop a good understanding together. Their passing and movement between each other was joyful at times.

Lawrence looks like a great signing. 2 top notch assists and plenty of dangerous corners. He is so similar in style to Tom Ince; pace, trickery, and no fear to take on his man. However, he is less selfish and seems capable of crossing. If he starts to add the goals to his game for us, he'll be an unbelievable buy.

Johnson was superb.

Weimann is such a hard worker and his tracking back will have had a large part to play in our clean sheet. If he was a little better with the ball at his feet, he'd be a monster. However, those sprayed final third balls from Huddlestone to a lightning quick Weimann will pay dividends.

Finally, I think we may have found a partner for Martin. They both had some great touches and build up.. probably should have snatched a goal. I hope Winall and Martin get the nod for the cup game.
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 3953
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 10:02 am

An excellent allround performance with good contributions from all. The front four looked very lively and linked well together and were ruthless in front of goal. With Lawrence it looks like we actually have someone that can take a corner for the first time in a long time. Let's hope we can repeat this performance next time.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6264
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 11:42 am

Before the game I might have mentioned to my mates that we could get thrashed as Johnson and Huddlestone were too slow and could easily be overrun, making our forwards passengers and forcing our defenders deeper and deeper. What a football expert I am! Embarassed

As it turned out, the midfield was fine and the defence solid enough. For me, the key was our front four. The real plus was their constant pressing of the Hull defence and midfield. Hull just couldn't settle as our strikers all played like tenacious, ball winning midfielders when we didn't have the ball. It was that which, imo, set up the victory. It meant that Hull got no time to settle and exploit our midfield.

Then when we did get the ball our front four displayed a level of movement, directness and intelligence which was sometimes breath-taking. I was watching all the off the ball stuff. Lawrence was outstanding. His tracking back was as good as Russell's, but his movement and end product was far superior. Nugent worked his socks off to find space and his short passing was exemplary. Vydra looked like a bargain at £9m with tenacity, finishing and constant darting runs into space. Weimann doesn't have the quality on the ball of the others, but his pace was causing Hull all sorts of problems. He also looked like the man detailed to drop back and help the midfield two - which he did splendidly.

Even Rowett played a blinder in the after match RD interview by roasting Buttercrab.

Football has been pretty tedious for a couple of years now. That reminded me of why I keep going.Thanks
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3720
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 12:57 pm

Wow. I wasn't expecting that. Fantastic from start to finish. If GR can get this level of performance from the team on a regular basis we'll all be in dreamland.

Based on what happened at Sheff Utd I thought we'd get turned over quite easily last night, but that was the best I've seen from the Rams since the red dogs game that ended in the same scoreline.

Well done lads.

Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2345
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 1:01 pm

Cracking match and even though the attendance was low it sounded more and even in the east stand where I was for a change
    Bradley must love playing against Hull as did weimann, that was revenge for that poor show in the play offs
    Vydra showed his class and him and nugent are proving a decent pair
    Hull had a lot of chances and the penalty could of changed everything, but not last night
    Few changes for Barnsley then onto Bristol
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 871
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 2:27 pm

There will be a lot of players on the treatment table this morning with busted guts!

Last night's unexpected result was the result of the incredible work ethic of the players. Our 5th goal was endemic, and was the direct result of Weimman not giving up on a lost cause when the Hull defender go the ball. He kept on harrying the guy who was forced to just clear the ball anywhere when Nugent came running over in support. Great work. Weimman was out on his feet when he was substituted. That kind of effort was seen throughout the team, and was great to see - I don't think I've seen the whole team team giving it so much effort for the whole game.

Tom Lawrence looks to be a real bargain if last night was anything to go by. He has the twinkle toes of Tom Ince, although all ten twinkle, not just the left half! He is comfortable almost anywhere on the pitch, and can cross the ball with dangerous accuracy - whether he can  put the ball on someones head in the penalty area a la Hinton remains to be seen, but he doesn't just hit the ball vaguely into the middle (or beyond), it goes where it will cause trouble. And his tracking back and tackling is tremendous - he was still putting in the challenges in our own area right at the end of the game. His "failure" to score could have cost him the MOM award, because for his first home start, it was a tremendous performance, apart from the penalty incident, of course.

Keogh was imperious, and has been said earlier in this thread, it was probably his best performance for Derby. Now he is surrounded by good defenders his performances are beginning to stand out. Vydra played well, and is beginning to make his price tag look quite a bargain, and last night he showed he can shoot first chance, instead of controlling the ball first.

Early on, the Derby "way" of allowing the opposition to play the ball around made Hull look quite slick, as they showed good movement off the ball. But we virtually never let them do anything with it. Despite all their pass and move around the pitch, they only managed one effort on target all game, which Carson tipped over the bar, showing remarkable awareness, as he had little else to do all evening.

Some of reason for the scoreline was the fact that Hull looked like they hadn't showed up, although I think much of that is that we got into their heads early on. At 3 - 0 it was game over, and they looked broken by the fourth. We do seem to have a psychological edge over them, especially when we get in their faces early on, and last night we simply didn't let them settle into their game. We weren't at our free-flowing, Steve MaClaren best, but we were effective and efficient, which is probably better because the glaring defensive frailties seem to have gone.

Overall a great night out. Lets see us continue this on against stronger opposition. COYR!
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 658
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 2:30 pm

Haven't had a moment to comment all weekend, but just wanted to note since I was giving Vydra a hard time for his fluffled chances in front of goal against Bolton and Sheff Utd. that his finishing on Friday was superb. He deserved tthe hat-trick that only a fine save denied him before the break. Keep it up, Matej.
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2077
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 3:16 pm

where does this leave coldplay - out in the cold....
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13797
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 11 Sep 2017, 4:26 pm

After the lack of movement of the ball, lack of decent passing, lack of passion and givafuquedness of the previous League games, this was a revelation. Everything that was missing or went wrong before was now all there in spades. Starting XI did all that was asked of them. Replacements all had good cameos. Bodes well for the future.

However, the Derby way would suggest a virtually 100% changed team tomorrow at Barnsley and back to square one on Saturday.

Tomorrow's lineup?

I expect Mitchell in goal, Wisdom will play, GR has already said so. Keogh will play, Davis is doubtful with a groin strain and Olsson has a niggle too. Hanson if fit and GT to start as the 2. JR and Anya out wide and Coldplay and Winnall up top.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 2:18 am