RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15846
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Barnsley 3-2 Derby reports and comments

Post by RRC on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 9:38 pm

Derby made eleven changes from Saturday's team -
    Mitchell - Wisdom Pearce Shackell Forsyth - Bird Thorne - Anya Russell Bennett - Martin

The first half was even at the start. A superb pass by Wisdom gave Russell the chance
    to open the scoring but he took too long and was tackled. Barnsley replied with a shot
    that rattled the crossbar. Russell made amends from a move started by Anya with a
    well taken goal on 6 minutes. After going behind, Barnsley had the best of the play with
    some neat passing and they should have equalised when faced by an empty net.

The equaliser was not long in coming. Jackson had a free header from Barnsley's first
    corner on 18 minutes. Thorne began to direct Derby's play more like his old self but
    Forsyth was a bit off the pace. Anya made another excellent chance for Russell but he shot
    straight at the keeper. The Rams began to press a bit harder in midfield so that Barnsley
    couldn't run through them so easily. Barnsley had 60% of the possession and soon created
    another good chance but wasted it with a shot straight at Mitchell. Bird and Bennett made
    a chance for Anya, who won the header but it was saved. A Bennett volley put Derby in
    front again from Anya's fine cross on 39 minutes. Barnsley counter attacked at once and
    Pearce had to make a saving tackle. The home side should have scored from another free
    header. An entertaining first half which Derby just shaded by taking more of their chances.
    HT Barnsley 1-2 Derby

Early in the second half, Bird set up Bennett for a shot but the keeper managed to save it.
    Wisdom defended well to break up several Barnsley attacks. Wisdom and Anya made a good
    chance for Bennett but the keeper tipped his header over the bar. The game went end to end
    though the play had slowed down somewhat. As the game went on, Bird was more confident,
    making some excellent passes and runs from midfield.

On 73 minutes, Derby were caught on the break when Barnes outpaced Pearce and picked
    out Bradshaw who leveled the scores. Hamill delivered a good free kick which beat Mitchell
    but was just wide. The game was all Barnsley after that but their shots were off target. Guy
    came on for Bird and Lawrence for Bennett on 81 minutes. Mitchell had to tip over a cross
    and the corner led to Barnsley's third goal, a fine shot by Hamill on 88 minutes. Lawrence
    had a free kick saved by the keeper in extra time. The superior fitness and form of Barnsley's
    regular first team players and the quality of Hamill probably decided the match.
    FT Barnsley 3-2 Derby

New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23111
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Re: Barnsley 3-2 Derby reports and comments

Post by New England Ram on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 9:42 pm

Don't feel so bad about the high school kids I coach switching off and falling asleep on corners having watched that.
    Youngsters looked tidy other than that a normal league cup performance.

rjrules71

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4282
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 9:43 pm

Wholely expected from this quarter, patched up team of stiffs ran out of steam in the last 20

Ah well 3pts at Brizzle far more important

Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 658
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 10:12 pm

Got a mate here who loves Spurs, so we were looking forward to watching the next round together. Other than that, I never care when Derby go out of the league cup. The competition should be abolished, frankly. No one cares anymore. There are reserve matches for giving these kids a run out if they need one.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5346
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 12 Sep 2017, 10:13 pm

More importantly, I hope, GT got through 90 minutes.

We all wait anxiously for news of a safe warm down....
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 12:07 am

What a disappointing result against what was a largely second string Barnsley side.

Reading through the comments is a mixture of fans saying they are not bothered as it's only the cup or others saying how happy they are as an injury prone player who has done little for DCFC since he signed got a decent run out.

Well I would have preferred that we won this game and be pitting our wits against a top Premiership side. I'll leave it to the rest of you to be seemingly carefree if we lose a game in a competition that in this day and age is about our only chance of any modicum of success and cheer.

KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 567
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 5:56 am

Max Bird did well. Good first touch, good vision, good distribution. Unlike several of his team mates, his passes were well weighted despite the conditions. He looks a prospect.

It was good to see Thorne back. He looked understandably rusty and obviously felt the clattering tackle.

Wisdom looked a class apart but didn't track back when their lad scored the third (Wisdom didn't do this v SUFC as well).

Shackell and Pearce didn't do as well as they should have done in the air but made a few decent blocks and interceptions.

Mitchell was average at best with their goals and shots.

Forsyth struggled at times and looked frustrated.

Anya and Bennett were busy and looked ok.

Russell scored, looked busy but was otherwise average.

Martin looked very slow and immobile against a moderate Barnsley back four. He gave up on several marginally over-hit through balls. He is behind Nugent, Winnall and possibly even Bent on tonight's performance.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5346
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 7:52 am

mcsilks wrote:What a disappointing result against what was a largely second string Barnsley side.

Reading through the comments is a mixture of fans saying they are not bothered as it's only the cup or others saying how happy they are as an injury prone player who has done little for DCFC since he signed got a decent run out.

Well I would have preferred that we won this game and be pitting our wits against a top Premiership side. I'll leave it to the rest of you to be seemingly carefree if we lose a game in a competition that in this day and age is about our only chance of any modicum of success and cheer.

Win and GT out for another 3 months, or lose and he comes through 90 minutes in the first team on his way back to his imperious best?

Not much of a contest for me.... Thumbs up
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13797
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 8:04 am

mcsilks wrote:What a disappointing result against what was a largely second string Barnsley side.

They are a mere 3 points behind us in the League. Good home form. We made 11 changes from the Hull games last Friday.

Barnsley made just 4 changes. How is that largely? Especially when compared to our changing the entire XI.

rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2077
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 8:23 am

cant say I am either too surprised or too bothered by this result. Didn't learn much apart from Max Bird, Russell is still wasteful, Bennett not quite good enough and coldplay cant be arsed - why he got a new contract when we have a plethora of other options I will never know.
    Good run out for GT

On to Brizzle
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3720
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:46 am

MadAmster wrote:

They are a mere 3 points behind us in the League. Good home form. We made 11 changes from the Hull games last Friday.

Barnsley made just 4 changes. How is that largely? Especially when compared to our changing the entire XI.

How is that a disappointing result ? We were unlikely to win the competition once the big boys got interested, so GR very sensibly used the game to have a look at some squad players.

The next league game is far more important.

MadAmster

Number of posts : 13797
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 12:34 pm

Two questions for the silky one to answer. :-)
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 871
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 6:26 pm

BAAHHH! HUMBUG!!!!! Whistle
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1465
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 11:56 pm

I think all games are important..and you must attempt to win them all...but.... it is also important to keep players fresh and, to give others players some game time... especially with such a big 1st team squad. This is not just to keep them happy but mainly so they are match fit and can play to a decent standard when called upon. I think this was the right call..although now that we are out..im not sure how he can achieve this until the fa cup in January.. although I do suspect a few may be offski then!
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4488
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 12:11 am

valakari wrote:I think all games are important..and you must attempt to win them all...but.... it is also important to keep players fresh and, to give others players some game time... especially with such a big 1st team squad. This is not just to keep them happy but mainly so they are match fit and can play to a decent standard when called upon. I think this was the right call..although now that we are out..im not sure how he can achieve this until the fa cup in January.. although I do suspect a few may be offski then!

You may be right Val but for the few that may be offski there maybe one or two inski

Maybe, just maybe, that's the plan Dunno
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 12:29 am

bramhallram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

How is that a disappointing result ? We were unlikely to win the competition once the big boys got interested, so GR very sensibly used the game to have a look at some squad players.

The next league game is far more important.

I just don't get the viewpoint of seemingly not being bothered about losing as we were unlikely to win the competition.

What exactly are we trying to achieve at Derby? To win the league? Top 6? For what purpose exactly? To get into the Premier League and then what......mid-table obscurity?

IMO, our only possible chance of any success is through one of the domestic cups, and that being the league cup so excuse me if I find losing against a Barnsley side that didn't play their strongest 11 disappointing. OK, I accept we made changes, but we still included a side packed with multi-mullion pound internationals.

I would prefer to have won this cup game and then lost in the league. A game against Tottenham would have been a real treat for our traveling fans and a chance to pit ourselves against one of Europe's better clubs. That is after all one of the reasons we follow DCFC is it not......to wait for that opportunity to play against the top sides?

mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 12:33 am

MadAmster wrote:

I think they made 5 changes but let's not clutch at straws...

They made 4/5 changes and thus weakened there already over performing side. We made many changes and granted, may have weakened our side, but we were still fielding a side full of experienced internationals and multi-million pound players.

Supporting a club the size of Derby means that I do get disappointed when we lose to the likes of Barnsley....be it home or away....in the league or the league cup.

mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 12:33 am

MadAmster wrote:Two questions for the silky one to answer. :-)

COYR

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 2:17 am