COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    Is it me?

    Share
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5346
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 5910
    Age : 52
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Is it me?

    Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 10:56 pm

    I have to admit that I've enjoyed a lot of the last eight years as a derby fan. 

    Nigel inherited a shambles. Slowly but surely, with integrity and sheer bloody mindedness (remind you of anyone?) he removed the sandy foundations laid by Billy and sandcastled by Jewell until such time as we had genuinely solid characters, even if not all the greatest footballers, embedded in our club.

    There were mistakes along the way, granted, but I'd have always taken a Brayford over an Albrechsten, or a Porter over an Ellington. There were also some unpolished and cheap gems - Bryson, Martin, Forsyth, Ward, and others who have gone on to flourish elsewhere.

    Nigel simply couldn't move on from the siege mentality he had built. I will always maintain that without Fozzy not marking Jack Hobbs from the corner on that fateful September day, our scintillating away form would have kept him in a job post September, despite the best efforts of Rush.

    Regardless, the handbrake release of SM was a joy. Thorne, Wisdom  and Bamford gave us impetus, and we enjoyed the ride. The Wally's defensive achilles heel only appeared at Wembley.

    I will maintain until my dying day that if Bryson had started we would have won.  He may have only had an hour in his legs, but it would have been enough.

    No matter. Since then we have had some fun, some boredom, and some pain, probably almost in equal measure, and we find ourselves lower than Nigel's last two completed seasons.

    I look at our team tonight, and I just cannot identify with them. We are so much worse, in every area, than when SM took over at half time V Ipswich. 

    I see no leaders, no heroes, no one I am enthused by.


    22.3.14 seems a lifetime ago. It will take another five years to get back there, I fear.
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15846
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 19613

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by RRC on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 12:10 am

    I thought the playoff final confirmed that we weren't good enough, mainly in attack.
    Not being able to beat 10 men also emphasized for me that we were lacking generally
    and that's why we missed out on automatic promotion that season.

    After QPR stifled us in the final, all the better teams caught on and quite a few
    were able to frustrate us, so we missed out on the playoffs the next season and
    imho we've been going gradually backwards ever since. Now even very average
    teams like Brentford and Birmingham can stop us winning.

    I can't see any solution other than a big clear out of most of the players who've
    grown stale at Derby since that final and the expensive sub-standard signings, and a
    rebuild with younger, keener players and flexible systems. That won't be a quick fix,
    so we'll need to grit our teeth and look for small improvements to cheer us up.

    As for feeling disillusioned, remember Clough's and Mackay's glory years, followed by
    our downward slide. English football has changed out of all recognition since those days.
    Hopes of Derby being a big club in the top division again are gone forever. We're below
    our own average now but have not reached rock bottom by any means.

    It remains to be seen whether we can become a solid, reliable, middling club, worthy
    of staying in the PL. It won't happen if we keep changing managers every few months.
    Though I don't feel confident that Rowett will succeed, he should get a chance to prove
    that he can. Let's hope he's a quick learner.



    avatar
    mcsilks

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2016-08-14
    Points : 70
    Location : Japan

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by mcsilks on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 1:50 am

    I haven't been able to identify with Derby since MM came through the door waving his cheque book. Clough did the most wonderful job in steadying the ship, and since his departure, his work has been picked at and picked at until we are now beginning to see it all unravel.

    Not only have we sold our best players in Christie (doing very nicely at Boro), Bryson (Cardiff fans are loving this player), Ince, and Hughes; we are left with a bunch that for the most part, would struggle to get in the starting 11 of most Championship sides.

    Stockport, I'm amazed you've enjoyed the last 8 years supporting Derby. I have found it to be for the most part, frustrating and sad. Year after year of abject failure.

    For me, the fault lies with Mel and his millions. Yes, it's bad to blame the guy who's writing the cheques but in doing that time and again, he's sanctioning the move of yet another big money flop. A bit of due diligence on his part perhaps.
    The likelihood is that MM will be true to form and sack GR soon and when he inevitably does, he should look no further than down the road at Burton. Clough shouldn't had been shown the door at Derby and would be deserving of the opportunity.
    Who knows, MM might even see sense and stick with GR. Give the guy 2 seasons, as it will take that to replace most of this dross we have on show at the minute.
    avatar
    KeoghKeogh

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 567
    Registration date : 2015-12-30
    Points : 665

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by KeoghKeogh on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 6:31 am

    We played some good football under NC. I remember the away game at Doncaster when were looked superb with Bueno in the side. On his day Clough gave us some excellent passing football.

    I also remember Clough's chaotic substitutions and shocking treatment of Tomas Cywka. When he was under pressure NC would often change the shape of the team 2 or 3 times within the last half an hour; the players seemed not to know the plan each time. Often we'd go from being ahead to scraping a draw.

    McClaren had the magic ingredient though; good luck. With a few exceptions he seemed to have lots of 'Hull 5:0 games'. We'd shoot and we'd score; they'd shoot and they'd miss. He'd gamble and win. Sheff Wed away; we'd be down near the end so he'd bring on Bamford and Bamford would score.

    McClaren also got good players into the club...and then he wanted to leave and then he underperformed when he returned.

    MM's fault? Nope. The majority of Rams fans supported his choice of managers; McClaren, Clement, Pearson, Rowett... not so much Wassell.

    Will GR be given time? Dunno. We've got enough players for GR to produce a team that combines skill and effort. GR should be good enough to organise them into the play-offs this season. There's a way to go to achieve this right now, but it's a fair expectation from MM that the play-offs are minimum requirement from GR this season.
    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4488
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 6011
    Age : 69
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by SawleyRam on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 8:10 am

    Trying to second guess MM is difficult because he does make mistakes but learns along the way, the storming into the dressing room incident proves that, it never happened again.

    When Lionel Pickering bought a struggling Derby County he too made mistakes but history will tell you he learnt from them and then moved the club forward.

    MM has been let down by certain managers with personal problems that left Mel with no other option but to replace them giving him an undeserved reputation of an impatient owner. As long as Rowett keeps his nose clean and shows gradual improvement he should last longer than his predecessors.
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13797
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15431
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by MadAmster on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 9:24 am

    I posted yesterday that we are back in the situation we were when Nigel arrived, if not on here, then certainly on Derby Mad.

    Yesterday's 1-4-2-3-1 was, IMO, unbalanced. Unbalanced in that we seemed to have a back 7 and a front four with little or no cohesion and nothing in between.

    A good opening 5 minutes. They came back into it, we took over again for 2 minutes and scored a very good goal, not dissimilar to Winnall's goal against Brum. We then seemed to defend 10 to 15 yards deeper. We didn't press. We let them come at us. That continued for most of the game. So much so that they ended up with 78% possession.

    If a team with just one win can do that to us and in the game before, another 1 win team gets a draw at our place, then we are in trouble. How is it happening? Paraphrase time again.... there's no f in team!!

    Winnall and Bennett started off lively enough but MB went off injured early doors. I hope it's nothing serious as he is, after Lawro, our best wide player. All too often we had no cohesion. 9, 10 and 11 men back defending. What happens next? We get the ball and there is no outlet so it's hoof it upfield and let them come at us again. Too many misplaced passes as well. Tom H as guilty as anybody and it was a repeat ofd him against Brum.

    Again, you can't point at a single player and say he had a stinker. They all had decent enough games as well as most making errors.

    Carson - couple of decent saves
    Wisdom - solid
    Keogh - solid
    Davies - solid
    Forsyth - solid
    Hudds - off with his passing but solid enough with the rest if his game
    Ledley - well taken goal. At the end I said he had had a Durban game. Didn't seem to be involved but then you remember a tackle, an interception, a pass. He looked like he was pacing himself in the knowledge that he wasn't anything like match fit and wanted to get as many minutes under his belt as possible
    Bennett - Looked good until having to go off. Replacement Weimann defended well but never had much of a chance to show anything going forwards as we were on the defensive
    BJ - had a very good game IMO. Involved in everything and putiing 100% in, especially on Woods ;)
    Lawro - looks good, puts in some very good work at both ends and will come good. Probably needs a goal to settle him in.
    Winnall - full of energy, put himself about, Good header back to Ledley for the goal

    I repeat, there is no f in team!!

    Where is it going wrong?

    1. too many players back leaves you with no out and makes it easy for the oppo
    2. when your 4 front players are miles ahead of the rest it makes getting the ball to them more difficult than needs be. We had a defence and an attack and nothing in between
    3. defending too deep is playing into their hands
    4. at the moment it is hard to fathom out what GR is trying to do. I can see no cohesion between the lines but that is almost inevitable when you only have 2 lines and no midfield worthy of the name
    5. the effort is there. Of that there can be no doubt but maybe a little less effort and more football might help us out
    6. did I mention there's no f in team?

    Looking forward, if we do what we did last night this Satdeh at Cardiff we will get slaughtered. Bryson is likely to be unavailable for them which is a blessing. Using an English language metaphor, I know all the words in the sentence but don't understand them due to the order they are in. Basically, our sentence is short of conjunctions.
    avatar
    rjrules71

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4282
    Registration date : 2009-05-15
    Points : 5321
    Age : 60
    Location : donington sur le mire

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by rjrules71 on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 4:06 pm

    Rant time

    I don't care who did what, who signed who etc, when the new man arrives you get a clean slate, if the man don't fancy the way you stack up then off you go.
    The man brings in some and lets some go thats the way he is judged. It is too early in this mans reign to hear some of the idiot comments re sacking.
    It is time some of the support woke up and smelled what they are shovelling, we are at best a mid table provincial club at present and guess what that is exactly where we are.
    The glory days are now so distant I can barely remember.
    What we need is a period of stability where we can establish a team over a couple of seasons with a solid backbone and gradually wheel and deal a few star players.

    I like the way GR is using the staff available and is not afraid to try things. The team on show last night was not in my eyes the A team, but by giving the lesser players Winall/Bennett a shot he is covering two bases by getting them blooded in real games and when injuries and suspensions hit, as they inevitably do over the time we will have good quality cover in all positions.

    Saturday will show how far we have come this season by pitching our best against Colins best and devil take the hindmost.
    I fully expect a mauling but this being Derby we could just get a point or nick one against the grain.

    To those fans getting edgy already I say give the man a fair crack, so next time we meet them at home we might be the favourites.

    Failing all that read "the tortoise and the hare"
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5346
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 5910
    Age : 52
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 6:22 pm

    rjrules71 wrote:Rant time

    I don't care who did what, who signed who etc, when the new man arrives you get a clean slate, if the man don't fancy the way you stack up then off you go.
    The man brings in some and lets some go thats the way he is judged. It is too early in this mans reign to hear some of the idiot comments re sacking.
    It is time some of the support woke up and smelled what they are shovelling, we are at best a mid table provincial club at present and guess what that is exactly where we are.
    The glory days are now so distant I can barely remember.
    What we need is a period of stability where we can establish a team over a couple of seasons with a solid backbone and gradually wheel and deal a few star players.

    I like the way GR is using the staff available and is not afraid to try things. The team on show last night was not in my eyes the A team, but by giving the lesser players Winall/Bennett a shot he is covering two bases by getting them blooded in real games and when injuries and suspensions hit, as they inevitably do over the time we will have good quality cover in all positions.

    Saturday will show how far we have come this season by pitching our best against Colins best and devil take the hindmost.
    I fully expect a mauling but this being Derby we could just get a point or nick one against the grain.

    To those fans getting edgy already I say give the man a fair crack, so next time we meet them at home we might be the favourites.

    Failing all that read "the tortoise and the hare"

    Just to clarify, my thread was in no way a criticism of GR, just a sad endictment of how much we have regressed since Nigel's departure.


    I agreee with the highlighted bit though, and not simply at the moment.

    We have had our days in the sun, and will have more.... but where we are now is about where Nigel's Dad found us, and IMHO about where we should be.  History and records may say top six second tier, but no higher.  Absolutely no DivineRightism from me. 

    That's part of the reason why success, when it comes (and it will again) tastes so sweet.

    We ain't Manure....and I for one wouldn't want to be.
    avatar
    rjrules71

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4282
    Registration date : 2009-05-15
    Points : 5321
    Age : 60
    Location : donington sur le mire

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by rjrules71 on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:18 pm

    Stockport Ram wrote:
    rjrules71 wrote:Rant time

    I don't care who did what, who signed who etc, when the new man arrives you get a clean slate, if the man don't fancy the way you stack up then off you go.
    The man brings in some and lets some go thats the way he is judged. It is too early in this mans reign to hear some of the idiot comments re sacking.
    It is time some of the support woke up and smelled what they are shovelling, we are at best a mid table provincial club at present and guess what that is exactly where we are.
    The glory days are now so distant I can barely remember.
    What we need is a period of stability where we can establish a team over a couple of seasons with a solid backbone and gradually wheel and deal a few star players.

    I like the way GR is using the staff available and is not afraid to try things. The team on show last night was not in my eyes the A team, but by giving the lesser players Winall/Bennett a shot he is covering two bases by getting them blooded in real games and when injuries and suspensions hit, as they inevitably do over the time we will have good quality cover in all positions.

    Saturday will show how far we have come this season by pitching our best against Colins best and devil take the hindmost.
    I fully expect a mauling but this being Derby we could just get a point or nick one against the grain.

    To those fans getting edgy already I say give the man a fair crack, so next time we meet them at home we might be the favourites.

    Failing all that read "the tortoise and the hare"

    Just to clarify, my thread was in no way a criticism of GR, just a sad endictment of how much we have regressed since Nigel's departure.


    I agreee with the highlighted bit though, and not simply at the moment.

    We have had our days in the sun, and will have more.... but where we are now is about where Nigel's Dad found us, and IMHO about where we should be.  History and records may say top six second tier, but no higher.  Absolutely no DivineRightism from me. 

    That's part of the reason why success, when it comes (and it will again) tastes so sweet.

    We ain't Manure....and I for one wouldn't want to be.



    SR
    Not poking anything at you personally, you have your view and I respect that.
    Those foolhardy enough to believe we have a squad capable of challenging for any honours at this stage was who the rant was for.

    OBE was an exceptional manager of his generation, and I was fortunate enough to witness those days, but they didnt start out all that well if my memory serves me.
    GR may just turn out to be the next Eddie Howe and return us to the promised lands, who knows but he should be given enough time to build and develop, especially since he seems to have taken on a poisoned chalice.

    UTR

    avatar
    thatguyfromderby

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4346
    Registration date : 2009-02-25
    Points : 4645

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by thatguyfromderby on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:34 pm

    The big change is mentality. NC brought in players that would run through a brick wall more often than not. I think we've had too many panic buys and lost too many of those talismanic players (the Bucko's and Bryson's). The lads need to re-find that togetherness.
    avatar
    valakari

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1465
    Registration date : 2011-10-22
    Points : 1564
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by valakari on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 9:18 pm

    I'd like to make a couple of points that annoy me.
    1. Craig Ramage always says wait till 10 games and see then..well Craig....BUT others don't have a problem starting well...
    2. Many say the manager needs 3 or 4 transfer windows....well other managers don't...Cardiff, Wolves, Leeds, Sheff Utd etc etc etc
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5346
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 5910
    Age : 52
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 9:49 pm

    rjrules71 wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:
    rjrules71 wrote:Rant time

    I don't care who did what, who signed who etc, when the new man arrives you get a clean slate, if the man don't fancy the way you stack up then off you go.
    The man brings in some and lets some go thats the way he is judged. It is too early in this mans reign to hear some of the idiot comments re sacking.
    It is time some of the support woke up and smelled what they are shovelling, we are at best a mid table provincial club at present and guess what that is exactly where we are.
    The glory days are now so distant I can barely remember.
    What we need is a period of stability where we can establish a team over a couple of seasons with a solid backbone and gradually wheel and deal a few star players.

    I like the way GR is using the staff available and is not afraid to try things. The team on show last night was not in my eyes the A team, but by giving the lesser players Winall/Bennett a shot he is covering two bases by getting them blooded in real games and when injuries and suspensions hit, as they inevitably do over the time we will have good quality cover in all positions.

    Saturday will show how far we have come this season by pitching our best against Colins best and devil take the hindmost.
    I fully expect a mauling but this being Derby we could just get a point or nick one against the grain.

    To those fans getting edgy already I say give the man a fair crack, so next time we meet them at home we might be the favourites.

    Failing all that read "the tortoise and the hare"

    Just to clarify, my thread was in no way a criticism of GR, just a sad endictment of how much we have regressed since Nigel's departure.


    I agreee with the highlighted bit though, and not simply at the moment.

    We have had our days in the sun, and will have more.... but where we are now is about where Nigel's Dad found us, and IMHO about where we should be.  History and records may say top six second tier, but no higher.  Absolutely no DivineRightism from me. 

    That's part of the reason why success, when it comes (and it will again) tastes so sweet.

    We ain't Manure....and I for one wouldn't want to be.



    SR
    Not poking anything at you personally, you have your view and I respect that.
    Those foolhardy enough to believe we have a squad capable of challenging for any honours at this stage was who the rant was for.

    OBE was an exceptional manager of his generation, and I was fortunate enough to witness those days, but they didnt start out all that well if my memory serves me.
    GR may just turn out to be the next Eddie Howe and return us to the promised lands, who knows but he should be given enough time to build and develop, especially since he seems to have taken on a poisoned chalice.

    UTR



    No offence taken rj - I could have picked a number of posts to reply to but I felt that your comment of "A mid table provincial club" was spot on,  and more need to remember it.

    We both know that this squad lacks in a number of areas, and just needs a little quality to compete with the top six - combined with the sort of mentality which GR can bring.

    More than anything, we need patience.
    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4488
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 6011
    Age : 69
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by SawleyRam on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 10:42 pm

    valakari wrote:I'd like to make a couple of points that annoy me.
    1. Craig Ramage always says wait till 10 games and see then..well Craig....BUT others don't have a problem starting well...
    2. Many say the manager needs 3 or 4 transfer windows....well other managers don't...Cardiff, Wolves, Leeds, Sheff Utd etc etc etc

    But Val how many teams can reach the promised land? 3 and 3 only, I could keep to this list to see how many of your choice succeed but
    I will not, for your choice after only 11 games including cup games seems very premature.

    The Christmas table will be the real indication of hope or reality so until then predictions are crap daft unrealistic
    avatar
    valakari

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1465
    Registration date : 2011-10-22
    Points : 1564
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by valakari on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 12:43 am

    They aren't predictions..they are where they a&e now! They have managed to hit the ground running..we haven't.. yet again
    avatar
    CornwallRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6264
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 6789
    Age : 49
    Location : Derby

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by CornwallRam on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 1:35 am

    valakari wrote:They aren't predictions..they are where they a&e now! They have managed to hit the ground running..we haven't.. yet again

    Where we are now isn't very relevant. Only Forest win the league in September. If you look back on the starts made by the majority of our successful managers they were slow. Brian Clough had a poor first season. Mel's big problem is that most of our failed managers also had poor starts.

    Giving time to the right manager is crucial. Allowing the wrong manager to remain in charge for too long is catastrophic.

    IMO opinion, Rowett needs this season before we start to judge him. The squad is just so un-balanced. That said, from where I'm sitting he's made plenty of mistakes - signing Huddlestone, keeping Keogh as skipper, not signing a midfielder and target man etc. Yet I could be wrong and those decisions could be the foundations on which we get promoted as champions next season.

    I also think that he'll be gone soon. Derby managers tend to get fired when during a bad run of results, with the Forest game as the final straw. We're hosting the dogs in a couple of weeks - if things don't improve, GR will be gone shortly after that game. His other problem is that attendances are dwindling. OK, the crowd vs Brum was given at 27,392. However, 2,700 of those were Birmingham fans and the 21,000 sth are registered as present even when not - as are those who brought an advance ticket but didn't make the game. I reckon that there were only about 22,000 Derby fans in the ground. If that drops much more he'll also be gone.
    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23111
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 27727
    Age : 57
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by New England Ram on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 4:20 am

    valakari wrote:I'd like to make a couple of points that annoy me.
    1. Craig Ramage always says wait till 10 games and see then..well Craig....BUT others don't have a problem starting well...
    2. Many say the manager needs 3 or 4 transfer windows....well other managers don't...Cardiff, Wolves, Leeds, Sheff Utd etc etc etc

    Val...Wolves and Leeds have had enough windows to make a skyscraper and have both been in a mess for a long time prior to this season.
    So please scratch those two !



    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13797
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15431
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by MadAmster on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 7:54 am

    CornwallRam wrote:
    IMO opinion, Rowett needs this season before we start to judge him. The squad is just so un-balanced. That said, from where I'm sitting he's made plenty of mistakes - signing Huddlestone, keeping Keogh as skipper, not signing a midfielder and target man etc. Yet I could be wrong and those decisions could be the foundations on which we get promoted as champions next season.


    Midfielder? He thought he had....... so did we. Kieftenbeld still isn't making the bench at Blues so January 1st should see him become a Ram.

    Target man? We already have one who doesn't get used because we aren't playing the target man game anymore.

    I would love to see, and I realise we won't, a journalist ask Rowett if this defending way too deep once you get ahead away from home is his idea or something the players have decided is the right thing to do.

    Is it his idea or the players to end up with a back 7 and a front 4 with nowt in between?

    avatar
    CornwallRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6264
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 6789
    Age : 49
    Location : Derby

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by CornwallRam on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 9:20 am

    MadAmster wrote:
    CornwallRam wrote:
    IMO opinion, Rowett needs this season before we start to judge him. The squad is just so un-balanced. That said, from where I'm sitting he's made plenty of mistakes - signing Huddlestone, keeping Keogh as skipper, not signing a midfielder and target man etc. Yet I could be wrong and those decisions could be the foundations on which we get promoted as champions next season.


    Midfielder? He thought he had....... so did we. Kieftenbeld still isn't making the bench at Blues so January 1st should see him become a Ram.

    Target man? We already have one who doesn't get used because we aren't playing the target man game anymore.

    I would love to see, and I realise we won't, a journalist ask Rowett if this defending way too deep once you get ahead away from home is his idea or something the players have decided is the right thing to do.

    Is it his idea or the players to end up with a back 7 and a front 4 with nowt in between?


    I'm sorry Ammy, I just don't accept the Kieftenbeld excuse. Rowett had the final quarter of last season to assess the squad and start the search for a player who it was blindingly obvious we needed. He then had the summer break, pre-season, then the whole of July and August to sign that player. Leaving it until deadline day to bring in an absolutely crucial player was ridiculous. That was poor management.

    As for a target man, I meant a big centre forward who is good in the air, at least mobile enough to keep defenders on their toes and has enough pace to make balls into the channels a contest. Martin is more of an immobile pivot than a target man. He was perfect for the role when we played in the right way, but a complete waste of space in any other system.

    Don't get me wrong, I think it would be stupid to sack Rowett. I'm just pointing out the things that I think he has got wrong so far.
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13797
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 15431
    Age : 63
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by MadAmster on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 10:35 am

    Fair play Corners.
    avatar
    valakari

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1465
    Registration date : 2011-10-22
    Points : 1564
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by valakari on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 11:26 am

    New England Ram wrote:
    valakari wrote:I'd like to make a couple of points that annoy me.
    1. Craig Ramage always says wait till 10 games and see then..well Craig....BUT others don't have a problem starting well...
    2. Many say the manager needs 3 or 4 transfer windows....well other managers don't...Cardiff, Wolves, Leeds, Sheff Utd etc etc etc

    Val...Wolves and Leeds have had enough windows to make a skyscraper and have both been in a mess for a long time prior to this season.
    So please scratch those two !
    Both have had new managers this season..so only 1 transfer window to change anything
    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4488
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 6011
    Age : 69
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by SawleyRam on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 12:07 pm

    valakari wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    valakari wrote:I'd like to make a couple of points that annoy me.
    1. Craig Ramage always says wait till 10 games and see then..well Craig....BUT others don't have a problem starting well...
    2. Many say the manager needs 3 or 4 transfer windows....well other managers don't...Cardiff, Wolves, Leeds, Sheff Utd etc etc etc

    Val...Wolves and Leeds have had enough windows to make a skyscraper and have both been in a mess for a long time prior to this season.
    So please scratch those two !
    Both have had new managers this season..so only 1 transfer window to change anything

    Wolves and Leeds have splashed out big in the transfer market this summer with Leeds signing 8 players and Wolves 6. These are permanent transfers, not loans, I have not taken those into account.

    These 2 clubs have to get promoted because of FFP reasons so if either do not make it the cut backs would have to be drastic.

    As a fan of football in general and Derby in particular I am not sure I would like our club to take that kind of risk.
    avatar
    bramhallram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3720
    Registration date : 2010-10-05
    Points : 3959
    Age : 67
    Location : Bramhall

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by bramhallram on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 1:47 pm

    CornwallRam wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I think it would be stupid to sack Rowett. I'm just pointing out the things that I think he has got wrong so far.

    Barring a succession of dreadful home defeats over the next couple of months I'd say GR's job is safe this season. The penny must surely have dropped that regardless of bad results, constantly sacking managers is not the answer to our problems.

    What concerns me is that GR talks a good game in interviews but, with the exception of the performance against Hull, what he says isn't getting through to his squad. I get the impression that there's a lot of complacency around the club, and no real leadership on the field.

    People keep saying "It's early days yet", but that hasn't stopped Cardiff picking up 23 points already. It will be interesting to compare performances on Saturday.

    .
    avatar
    valakari

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1465
    Registration date : 2011-10-22
    Points : 1564
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by valakari on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 3:58 pm

    If we lose at Cardiff..and if we lose at home to Forest...i fear for Rowett...losing in the red dogs match  is historically curtains for the manager
    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23111
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 27727
    Age : 57
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by New England Ram on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 4:40 pm

    Sad thing is I think this will be a wide open league I don't see anyone running away with it this season.
    I think when it comes to crunch time there will be many clubs in with a shot..not us though.



    avatar
    KeoghKeogh

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 567
    Registration date : 2015-12-30
    Points : 665

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by KeoghKeogh on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 7:59 pm

    New England Ram wrote:
    valakari wrote:I'd like to make a couple of points that annoy me.
    1. Craig Ramage always says wait till 10 games and see then..well Craig....BUT others don't have a problem starting well...
    2. Many say the manager needs 3 or 4 transfer windows....well other managers don't...Cardiff, Wolves, Leeds, Sheff Utd etc etc etc

    Val...Wolves and Leeds have had enough windows to make a skyscraper and have both been in a mess for a long time prior to this season.
    So please scratch those two !

    I can't take seriously any post that states ' Craig Ramage always says...'

    Sponsored content

    Re: Is it me?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 2:08 am