a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Ingerlund

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13797
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Ingerlund

Post by MadAmster on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 12:09 pm

Qualified for the World Cup with a game to spare. Scotland are 1 win away from qualifying. Wales and both Irish teams are still in with a shout although in at least 1 case it's more of a whisper. British Isles sides appear to be going well in qualifying. England haven't lost a qualifier since 2009, that's 8 years ago.

Shame it all goes pear shaped in the tournament.

Hopefully, the success the age group teams are now having in Euro and World tournaments will filter through to the senior team when the players filter through...... not going to hold my breath though.
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4346
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Re: Ingerlund

Post by thatguyfromderby on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 12:45 pm

I won't get overexcited about England because last nights game was a real dour affair... however, there are things to feel positive about.

- We have one of the best strikers in the world (Kane)
    - We have some good young prospects (Rashford, Winks, Pickford, etc)
    - We have less media expectation (although it'll probably get ramped up).

All I want from Russia is to see a couple of convincing performances and to have shown some actual progression.
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2077
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 1:14 pm

as stated ages ago the "golden generation" put me off ing-er-land wont be watching any of it - thinking about going to the rugby world cup in japan though...
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3720
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 5:35 pm

MadAmster wrote:Qualified for the World Cup with a game to spare. Scotland are 1 win away from qualifying. Wales and both Irish teams are still in with a shout although in at least 1 case it's more of a whisper. British Isles sides appear to be going well in qualifying. England haven't lost a qualifier since 2009, that's 8 years ago.

Shame it all goes pear shaped in the tournament.

Hopefully, the success the age group teams are now having in Euro and World tournaments will filter through to the senior team when the players filter through...... not going to hold my breath though.

Good decision not to hold your breath MA. England won't be winning any tournaments until we can play at a higher tempo, and have in the side a world class midfielder who has mastered the art of launching attacks with accurate forward passes.

The last one was probably Gascoigne.

New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23111
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 12:27 pm

Forget the team itself after the last Euros I am wondering who in their right mind would go to Russia to watch the World Cup.
    Pretty sure their authorities are just going to look on whilst Russian hooligans do their stuff.

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11216
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 9:24 am

The problem with England is the same problem with Derby in my opinion, 4-2-3-1, the terminally boring system for the scared negative manager. It's a system designed to make sure you don't lose, essentially it's six defenders and four players who you hope will create something out of nothing.

It was clear which way the game was going until Southgate changed it to 3 at the back with 2 wing backs, WHICH IS WHAT ROWETT SHOULD TRY FOR F#CKS SAKE!!!!!!, before we all die of boredom.

4-2-3-1 should be banned from football.
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3720
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 11:04 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:The problem with England is the same problem with Derby in my opinion, 4-2-3-1, the terminally boring system for the scared negative manager. It's a system designed to make sure you don't lose, essentially it's six defenders and four players who you hope will create something out of nothing.

It was clear which way the game was going until Southgate changed it to 3 at the back with 2 wing backs, WHICH IS WHAT ROWETT SHOULD TRY FOR F#CKS SAKE!!!!!!, before we all die of boredom.

4-2-3-1 should be banned from football.

Stop Press. Southgate says he's going to play three at the back today.

Well that's one fewer player to get involved in endlessly passing the ball sideways and backwards, but it doesn't encourage me to watch the game. Not when there's paint to watch drying in the kitchen.

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11216
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 11:54 am

But that's what the 4-2 part of the system forces you to do, as there are are only 4 forward players it either hast to be a good early pass to feet or pass it among yourselves until an opening presents itself, because if you just knock it forward, it will most likely come straight back, which forces you deeper and deeper, which isolates the 4 forwards even more and leaves you hanging on towards the end of games, and we know how that normally goes for the rams don't we?
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 1:49 pm

England qualify with a game to spare, not lost a qualifier since 2009 and they get torn to shreds by the fans. Just imagine what is going on over here with the Dutch on the verge of missing out for the second successive tournament, having failed to qualify for the 2016 Euros. All they have to do midweek is beat Sweden by 12 goals to go through to the playoffs......
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 641
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 3:39 pm

MadAmster wrote:England qualify with a game to spare, not lost a qualifier since 2009 and they get torn to shreds by the fans. Just imagine what is going on over here with the Dutch on the verge of missing out for the second successive tournament, having failed to qualify for the 2016 Euros. All they have to do midweek is beat Sweden by 12 goals to go through to the playoffs......
    I might have a cheeky quid on that.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 9:33 pm

Jackal wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:England qualify with a game to spare, not lost a qualifier since 2009 and they get torn to shreds by the fans. Just imagine what is going on over here with the Dutch on the verge of missing out for the second successive tournament, having failed to qualify for the 2016 Euros. All they have to do midweek is beat Sweden by 12 goals to go through to the playoffs......

Sold you a bum steer on that one........ it's only 7 goals they need to win by LOL roll
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 641
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 11:44 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    Jackal wrote:

Sold you a  bum steer on that one........ it's only 7 goals they need to win by LOL roll
    Yeah, they need a 12 goal swing so need to win by 7 or more. Still time to place a bet, I've not checked the odds yet, but I imagine if they did manage to pull it off there'd be a few raised eyebrows.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 09 Oct 2017, 8:35 am

Jackal wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    Jackal wrote:

Sold you a  bum steer on that one........ it's only 7 goals they need to win by LOL roll
    Yeah, they need a 12 goal swing so need to win by 7 or more. Still time to place a bet, I've not checked the odds yet, but I imagine if they did manage to pull it off there'd be a few raised eyebrows.

6-0 would see Sweden go through as they have scored 26 and the Dutch would only have 25......

It is quite possibly a not to miss game as the Dutch have to go for it from the off and will therfore leave room at the back for Sweden to exploit. I can see a lot of goals in this.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 2:12 am