Video Assist

Venice Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1957
    First ever game : Hartlepool, I think, 1957
    Number of posts : 641
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Re: Video Assist

Post by Venice Ram on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 3:18 pm

For anyone interested, there is an article on BBC Sports - Football about VAR.

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16053
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 8:27 pm

Manchester Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1977
    First ever game : 1980
    Number of posts : 363
    Registration date : 2009-03-02

Post by Manchester Ram on Tue 09 Jan 2018, 1:17 pm

Did I hear on the radio that there was a contentious winner, possible hand ball and VAR wasn't used??
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14331
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Tue 09 Jan 2018, 1:38 pm

Manchester Ram wrote:Did I hear on the radio that there was a contentious winner, possible hand ball and VAR wasn't used??

I watched the game, merely because the VAR was going to be used. It didn't get any action.

The late, late BHA winner was hotly contested by Palace players. The ref thought it was a good goal. The linesman (Assistant Referee) saw nothing untoward. The ref did have a quick chat over their intercom with the video ref and he appeared to also say goal from what he had seen 1st hand. He did not review the footage nor was he requested to do so, so VAR was present but unused/not necessary at this particular game.

Question: Might merely the presence of VAR convince players that cheating isn't such a good idea after all?

BBC had the following to say on it...

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson was satisfied with how officials handled Glenn Murray's late winner as Brighton progressed to the FA Cup fourth round.

Monday's tie was the first competitive game in England to have the video assistant referee (VAR) system technology available.

Despite Palace's complaints that Murray may have handled the ball in scoring, a VAR review was not initiated.

Hodgson said disallowing the goal "would have been very harsh".

The former England boss added: "There's still a slight thought it might just have brushed off his arm into the goal, but if it'd been my player scoring that goal, I'd have been very upset if it had been disallowed for handball."

At the time, several Crystal Palace players protested because they felt Murray had deflected Uwe Hunemeier's header over the line with his hand.

Referee Andre Marriner did discuss the incident with the VAR Neil Swarbrick through his earpiece but he did not consult the pitch-side monitor because he was satisfied Murray's goal was legitimate.

A review of an incident is only triggered if there has been a clear and obvious error by the referee, but goals such as Murray's can be checked by the two officials without any official review.

"It was a genuine goal," said Hodgson.

Full story at http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42615776
    Manchester Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1977
    First ever game : 1980
    Number of posts : 363
    Registration date : 2009-03-02

Post by Manchester Ram on Tue 09 Jan 2018, 1:47 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    Manchester Ram wrote:Did I hear on the radio that there was a contentious winner, possible hand ball and VAR wasn't used??

I watched the game, merely because the VAR was going to be used. It didn't get any action.

The late, late BHA winner was hotly contested by Palace players. The ref thought it was a good goal. The linesman (Assistant Referee) saw nothing untoward. The ref did have a quick chat over their intercom with the video ref and he appeared to also say goal from what he had seen 1st hand. He did not review the footage nor was he requested to do so, so VAR was present but unused/not necessary at this particular game.

Question: Might merely the presence of VAR convince players that cheating isn't such a good idea after all?

BBC had the following to say on it...

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson was satisfied with how officials handled Glenn Murray's late winner as Brighton progressed to the FA Cup fourth round.

Monday's tie was the first competitive game in England to have the video assistant referee (VAR) system technology available.

Despite Palace's complaints that Murray may have handled the ball in scoring, a VAR review was not initiated.

Hodgson said disallowing the goal "would have been very harsh".

The former England boss added: "There's still a slight thought it might just have brushed off his arm into the goal, but if it'd been my player scoring that goal, I'd have been very upset if it had been disallowed for handball."

At the time, several Crystal Palace players protested because they felt Murray had deflected Uwe Hunemeier's header over the line with his hand.

Referee Andre Marriner did discuss the incident with the VAR Neil Swarbrick through his earpiece but he did not consult the pitch-side monitor because he was satisfied Murray's goal was legitimate.

A review of an incident is only triggered if there has been a clear and obvious error by the referee, but goals such as Murray's can be checked by the two officials without any official review.

"It was a genuine goal," said Hodgson.

Full story at http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42615776

Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Apr 2018, 8:11 pm