Coutts

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5346
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Coutts

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 1:22 am

Paul Coutts was named man of the match in our visit to Bramhall Lane.

I have to say I thought he did okay, but I was concentrating on our rabble more, as we all do when at the game (or watching at home, or via Rams TV).
    I have since watched the "Full 90" replay and it became more apparent just how vital a cog he is to their team.

He operates centrally in a 352 formation. This allows him free reign in a three man midfield, but he invariably sits and knits the back three to the rest of the team. With three central midfield players, he has licence to roam a little, but what impressed me on the re-watch was his simple retention of possession, good first touch, and awareness of the whereabouts of team mates. I don't recall him losing possession via a pass in the entire game against us.

I watched him closely again tonight against dirty Leeds, and apart from one abberation on three quarter time, he was quietly magnificent.

Is he the solution to our midfield lethargy?

No. Not as long as we play with a flat four, or a 4231, and more importantly, not as long as all eleven don't work tirelessly to regain possession and pass and move, and find space in a way that the Sheffield United team (and NC's teams) did.

He fits like a glove into an industrious, pass and move team. Like the one which won 3-0 at Yeovil. Like Sheffield United c.2017.

I really enjoyed watching them tonight.
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Re: Coutts

Post by mcsilks on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 4:46 am

Stockport Ram wrote:Paul Coutts was named man of the match in our visit to Bramhall Lane.

Is he the solution to our midfield lethargy?

Even if he were, why would he leave a club that is riding high to join one that has a history of mediocrity.

Another Nigel Clough gem.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15846
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 8:00 am

Having watched the match, I'd say MOTM was Duffy, who played alongside Coutts
    in the centre of Sheffield United's midfield five. Coutts was good but Duffy contributed
    more, including the assists for both goals.

It must be a lot easier to look good when playing in a midfield five against three,
    let alone two against four or five as we line up.

From a Rams' point of view, Leeds' promising young attacking MF Kalvin Phillips, last
    night's goal scorer, collected his fifth yellow card, so he misses our game.

Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 8:23 am

RRC wrote:Having watched the match, I'd say MOTM was Duffy, who played alongside Coutts
    in the centre of Sheffield United's midfield five. Coutts was good but Duffy contributed
    more, including the assists for both goals.

It must be a lot easier to look good when playing in a midfield five against three,
    let alone two against four or five as we line up.

From a Rams' point of view, Leeds' promising young attacking MF Kalvin Phillips, last
    night's goal scorer, collected his fifth yellow card, so he misses our game.

He was excellent too. I just loved the way they played for each other and followed the "when not in possession, get in position" mantra. The whole is very much greater than the sum of their parts. I hope they go up.
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3720
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 10:21 am

Stockport Ram wrote:Paul Coutts was named man of the match in our visit to Bramhall Lane.

I watched him closely again tonight against dirty Leeds, and apart from one abberation on three quarter time, he was quietly magnificent.

He sounds useful. Good job we didn't get rid of him for peanuts.

Oh, hang on...

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13797
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 10:57 am

.... and there, in a nutshell, is the root of our problems.

An always outnumbered midfield and a front four who are not mobile enough (not they aren't capable of being mobile). Insufficient movement a lot of the time when we are in possession leaving no attacking outlet for the man in possession so we are forced into the oh so hated backwards and sideways passes.

This is exacerbated by the almost refusal of Fozzy/Olsson to use their right foot. Many times a game I see whichever of the two that is playing get the ball in what could be an attacking position just inside the opposition's half but they have their back to the sideline. They very often have 2 options. The first is a diagonal pass forwards into space that Vydra or another player is running into. The second is a backpass to Davies. Neither has faith in their right foot so it's backwards. We all know Olsson has a sweet right foot after that goal against the Red Dogs in the 1-0 victory. Why doesn't he (and Fozzy) use it? Work in hand for the coaches IMO.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1465
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 11:12 am

How about playing 433..oh we got rid of Hughes,Bryson and Hendrick..and Thorne isnt considered ready yet, he doesnt pick Martin and he likes batting and strength and pace and big players edtc etc etc...not my type of football.
    What a bloody shame McClaren went to Newcastle..it was all looking so good, and so very entertaining...
    Look at the attendences, they spoke volumes...down to 22000 under Clough, up to over 30000 under McClaren.
    Now they are dwindling again (saved by Forest and Sheff Wed Derbies), but on the decline!
    The football is no where near as good, and we arent in a better place in the league either!
    I would take the dour Billy Davies approach, which is being served up by Rowett, if we got promoted, but otherwise i'd rather watch good football and finish top 6 every season...
    its supposed to be an entertainment business..but i aint been entertained much this season!
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 11:28 am

I think we'd have been playing Rochdale if WWTB had still been in charge of our defence.....
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1465
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 1:56 pm

Well we managed to finish 3rd, get to Wembley and play attractive football....what are we doing now!??
    Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10254
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 2:20 pm

Coutts played centre mid for Preston

We sign him and play him predominately on the right

Now back in centre mid at Sheff U

Why couldn't our management team see him as a central midfielder
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 2:32 pm

valakari wrote:Well we managed to finish 3rd, get to Wembley and play attractive football....what are we doing now!??

Did you not watch two seasons of keystone cops defending at the end of his DCFC 2nd tenure and the beginning of his NUFC one? He has no clue how to solve problems (especially defensively) when they crept into his teams, he rode the wave of quality team ethic created by NC -
    all he did was remove the handbrake and his inflated name allowed a couple of decent loanees to join.

He's hopeless long term, and has been found out. Several times.
    KeoghKeogh

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 567
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sun 29 Oct 2017, 8:42 am

Coutts did well for us in front of Brayford. He didn't do so well in any other position / with any other full back behind him. Like Ben Pringle, Paul Coutts is an average championship player IMHO.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4488
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 29 Oct 2017, 11:35 am

Barnstaple Ram wrote:Coutts played centre mid for Preston

We sign him and play him predominately on the right

Now back in centre mid at Sheff U

Why couldn't our management team see him as a central midfielder

To be fair Coutts & Brayford had a brilliant understanding and to break up that pairing would to be weakening the strong right hand side.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 2:08 am