Leeds 1-2 Derby reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15927
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Leeds 1-2 Derby reports and comments

Post by RRC on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 9:48 pm

Derby made two changes to their last starting XI - Winnall and Martin replaced Vydra and Nugent,
    as they did on Saturday. Leeds made three changes with Jansson replacing their injured captain
    Cooper, and Dallas and Roofe in for Anita and the suspended Phillips.

Carson - Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth - Lawrence Huddlestone Ledley Johnson - Winnall Martin

subs: Mitchell Baird Pearce Thorne Weimann Vydra Thomas

The early play was mostly midfield probing with both sides giving the ball away too easily. Derby
    were caught in possession too often and Leeds were quick to seize on this. Saiz robbed Huddlestone,
    set up Lasogga for a shot and Carson had no chance - 1-0 to Leeds on 7 minutes. The Rams were
    too slow and careless in passing, so their attacks kept breaking down. Curtis Davies made crucial
    interceptions and blocks to thwart Leeds. Ledley and Johnson combined to create some promising
    moves for Derby, and Keogh got forward to join the attack, but the final passes weren't accurate
    enough or quick enough to stretch Leeds' defence. Too often the Rams chose possession and safe
    little back or sideways pass rather than an attacking option. Leeds might have had a penalty but
    the referee, perhaps influenced by an earlier simulation, rejected Leeds' claims. The Rams had
    most of the possession (60%), mainly through the excellent Ledley, but they weren't good enough
    take advantage of it. Compared with Leeds they lacked creative ideas, quick passes, movement,
    pace, and above all quality.
    HT Leeds 1-0 Derby

The second half began with more of the same. Derby sat too far back and didn't challenge for the
    ball, allowing Leeds to play their own game comfortably. The Rams showed no spark to suggest
    that they could threaten Leeds. Lasogga had a great chance to tap in for his second goal but he
    put his shot wide. Johnson put in a great ball for Martin but he wasn't quick enough to reach it
    Marin tested Lonergan after a good cross from Forsyth, Derby's first shot on target on 64 minutes.
    In a unusual substitution, Weimann replaced Ledley on 68 minutes, and Johnson moved back into
    midfield.

A rapid break by Forsyth and his quality pass put the ball on a plate for Winnall, who tapped in
    on 72 minutes. A quick free kick by Lawrence and Weimann's speed almost forced an own goal
    from a nervous Leeds' defence. Lawrence burst into the Leeds; box and won a penalty. Winnall
    scored from the spot for Derby to take lead on 80 minutes. Leeds counter-attacked with energy
    but the Rams' defence managed to keep them out. Thorne came on for Winnall on 88 minutes.
    Lasogga had another good chance but his shot was just over the bar. Johnson was a tower of
    strength both in midfield, and earlier on the left, which helped Derby play out time.
    FT Leeds 1-2 Derby

Against the run of play for most of the game, when the Rams rarely looked dangerous, Derby
    got their fourth win in a row. It was mostly ugly but the three points are invaluable. They moved
    into 5th place, two points above Leeds. Three of the four teams above them (Wolves, Cardiff
    and Bristol City) won, but Sheffield United lost at QPR.

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5438
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Re: Leeds 1-2 Derby reports and comments

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 9:52 pm

norfolkram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2014-11-19

Post by norfolkram on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 10:04 pm

average performance but who cares a great win bring on the hoops
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2598
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 10:04 pm

Any win against the Dirties is a good win.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5438
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 10:08 pm

Received a text from MA almost as the final whistle blew - the sea change was the draw at Cardiff.

I wanted to pin it on the win at Norwich, but at the season's end, if we continue in this vein, I expect he will be spot on.

I've thought it for a while, but what a difference Joe Ledley has made.

Lawrence finally gets a decision on one of his Greg Louganis dives... and it really couldn't have happened at a better place !!

ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 3988
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 10:10 pm

Another excellent result. We seem to keep getting results without the performance which is a great sign
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14026
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 10:16 pm

First of all let me say YYYYEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

How on earth.......

Poor, poor first half from Derby. One decent attack from DYS in which they ripped us apart and went 1 up. They had the better fo the game but didn't create any more chances.

2nd half, they were again better. Should have scored a 2nd but their CF put it wide when he should have got his and their second. After that neither side looked like scoring for a while then we upped the ante a bit and started to look dangerous. Cracking crossfield ball to Fozzy, sharp, low cross and Winnall did the rest. We then stepped it up again and although it was given and put away, I am not convinced it was a penalty. It was most definitely a foul but the initial knock was, IMO, just outside the box.

I am absolutely chuffed to bits to have beaten the DYS. Ecstatic to have won 4 out of 4 in October, 3 draws immediately prior to that. 7 games unbeaten..... but still......

They say that the sign of a good team is that they win games even when playing badly. Our 7 game run?

1. 1-1 v Brum and we were not very good at all
    2. 1-1 v Brentford and I am still not sure how they failed to score half a dozen
    3. 0-0 at Cardiff and IMO the only decent game we have played in this run
    4. 2-0 v Red Dogs in a game in which we didn't play well, scored after 24  seconds and could easily have been 3-1 or 4-1 down by HT
    5. 2-0 v Wendy and again we didn't play well
    6. 2-1 win at Norwich without playing like champions
    7. 2-1 win at Leeds in a game in which we looked mobile for about 15 minutes

Thankfully, I believe we can play better than we have and hope that we start to do it on a regular basis. We can't keep utilising these rearguard actions and hope that they don't score and we do.
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 11:49 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:

I've thought it for a while, but what a difference Joe Ledley has made.

I think he has quietly gone about his business but against Leeds, I thought he had a poor game.

I don't think it was a coincidence that when we took him off, we looked the more dangerous and scored both goals.

I hope we offer him a contract to the end of this season, but he doesn't possess the quality we should be looking for in our players....even in the defensive midfield position in which he plays. He is also a little too immobile for me.
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 685
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 12:29 am

How often in this league do results come before form? A few lucky wins can bring belief, and from belief actually good play. Let's hope that's what is happening here.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23116
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 1:30 am

We were pretty shi* ordinary and ugly in our promotion season under the poisoned dwarf.
    I don’t care how we get results we played eye catching and wonderful football under the ginger prat and ended up getting our hearts broken.
    A few weeks ago the wrong result and we would have been in the bottom three.
    Grind away Derby and stay in it.

bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3770
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 9:08 am

Calif_Ramette wrote:Any win against the Dirties is a good win.

My sentiments exactly. Ideally I'd have liked us to win by an injury time own goal, but winning at their place through a late penalty is almost as good.

When we're top of the league and guaranteed automatic promotion we can play fancy  football all day long, but until then a succession of fiercely competitive scruffy victories will do for me.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 12:14 pm

I think the point I was trying to make was that we have no great reason for optimism.

They may well have had a penalty at 1-0 when Wisdom brought one of theirs down by the left hand post. Their #9 will be kicking himself for hitting that great chance wide in the 2nd half.

Way too many passes going astray, not enough movement off the ball in the first hour or so, little composure and not a lot of danger for their keeper.

Don't get me wrong. Any win at Bellend Road is brilliant but we are still making way too many mistakes, still insisting on doing most of attacking down the middle and leaving our defensive flanks open to misuse by the opposition. I think a team like Bristol may well have made us pay whereas L**ds did not.

We are far from the finished article and by that I don't mean the wonderful gung ho gootball we saw under SM 1.0. Just more control on the ball. More options offered to the man in possession. The basics which we are getting wrong like leaving huge spaces outside so that it is almost impossible to stop wingers putting crosses in etc etc. We have obviously solved some problems but we are not out of the woods yet.

As ever at DCFC, work in progress.
    Loughborough Ram

Number of posts : 11270
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 1:05 pm

Could it be Amster, that in the modern game there are virtually no traditional wingers or big target men, and even fewer players that can cross a ball accurately so maybe our back four would sooner take a risk allowing a wide man to have the outside line in the knowledge that the greater risk is the player cutting inside and shooting.

I would back our tall and strong back four to deal with most crosses but a wide man cutting inside tends pull players out of position and if he manages to get a shot away, anything can happen.
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 595
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 5:06 pm

It's still better to be lucky than good - Lawrence just about managed to reach the penno area sometime after their boy fouled him well outside of it... ehem, a stonewall penno...

more of the same please refs
    Loughborough Ram

Number of posts : 11270
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 6:13 pm

I've watched it a few times and it wasn't as clear cut as you make out keogh, in my opinion it was one of those that we would have complained had it not been given.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 7:34 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Could it be Amster, that in the modern game there are virtually no traditional wingers or big target men, and even fewer players that can cross a ball accurately so maybe our back four would sooner take a risk allowing a wide man to have the outside line in the knowledge that the greater risk is the player cutting inside and shooting.

I would back our tall and strong back four to deal with most crosses but a wide man cutting inside tends pull players out of position and if he manages to get a shot away, anything can happen.

Crosses against us and corners and the like seem to be our achilles heel in many games this season. Last too. Cut the crosses out and concede less goals. Look at Fozzy's cross yesterday. Hard and low into the 6 yard box with a poacher getting on the end of it. Their big defenders never had a chance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Jan 2018, 11:37 pm