Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 264
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Re: £120,000 for a 15 year old?

Post by whestonram on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 6:07 pm

Jackal wrote:An interesting insight into academy football
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41839083

Doesn't show us in a good light either, though of course the DCFC perspective isn't told
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    Number of posts : 641
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 6:58 pm

whestonram wrote:
    Jackal wrote:An interesting insight into academy football
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41839083

Doesn't show us in a good light either, though of course the DCFC perspective isn't told
    Agreed. But whilst it is essential for a club to be compensated for the time and effort put into training an academy player, I would hate to think that any player who leaves Derby County could essentially be priced out of a future career by it's compensation demands. It does say that most clubs waive the compensation fee. I can see the point of view of both sides despite, as you say, the article focusing more on the player's side.
    thatguyfromderby

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    Number of posts : 4346
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by thatguyfromderby on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 7:35 pm

A few things though.. why does he not see a career here? Is he trialing with bigger clubs and wants a move to a PL club system? I feel there's probably a few variables in this that aren't covered.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11216
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 8:11 pm

This is just b*llocks. Modern football is f*ckin outrageous.

Why on earth is there horse trading of 15 year old boys anyway? The boy is no better, thinking his career is over because he might 'only be able to sign semi pro', my heart bleeds for him!

There is a horrible lack of reality in football at all levels these days, these precious little souls are hoovered up in their hundreds and led to believe that world domination is only a small step away, when in truth it's purely a numbers game. Clubs will expect to produce a minimal amount of pro footballers and then cast aside the rest. The parents are every bit as much to blame living their dreams through their children at whatever cost to the child.

A guy at work has his son training with Derby and Forest and he was concerned recently that Forest were going to let him go, when I asked him how old he is he told me he is 7, for f*cks sake I'd never played a game at seven let alone been devastated at rejection, it's terrible. My son is now 15 and he dreams of being a footballer but realises that he maybe will never be good enough but I can't tell you how relieved I am. I would hate for him to be in an academy, they are all about the club and nothing about the boys.

My advice to any youngster would be, forget acadamies, forget money, forget fame and just enjoy playing football. If you are good enough, you'll play for good teams and if you've got the ability, the desire and drive to push yourself you'll make it, and you'll be far more grounded and much more able to cope with life when you do.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 13797
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 9:10 pm

"I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere at Derby," the 15-year-old told the BBC.

It seems the lad knows better than his coaches. He might have some footballing skills but does he understand teamwork and buckling down and doing what he is asked to do?

Derby don't come out of this smelling of roses but the figures don't seem to stack up. They can claim 40K a year it seems. The lad spent 2 years at Derby. How does that add up to 120K?
    King Zak

Number of posts : 519
    Registration date : 2012-08-18

Post by King Zak on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 12:43 am

Looking for his fifth club already! Because the parents have hawked him around from academy to academy but seem to have failed to notice when signing the Derby contract that now he's older the club is entitled to a development fee for the three (not two) years he's been here. This isn't set by us but is the agreed level of compensation in the industry.
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2077
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 8:14 am

I saw this article and the fifth club thing stood out for me too. Clearly he has pushy parents/agents who are bigging him up and he may be good in his age group but how many really progress to be superstars. I don't think under 16's should be traded for any fees - they are legally kids. Once they are 16 you can give them an employment contract same as anyone else. If clubs don't want under16's poached either give them a career plan - and examples of if you are good enough you will make the first team - or accept that some investments will go bad. TBH I don't think the rams are getting much value out of the academy (transfer fees received vs total costs since inception) but then we aren't getting much value out of the transfer market either. This story did come across as very one sided - no one put the clubs point of view across.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6264

Post by CornwallRam on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 9:52 am

But this is just a consequence of the decisions taken a few years ago to improve player development. Academies were seen as the way forward and the way to make the England team competitive in the long term.

Clubs have been encouraged to invest heavily in their academies. Ours costs about £4m per year to run. That money is excluded from the FFP calculations, but Mel still has to write the cheques. DCFC will have put about £40k directly into this lad's development. If the system allowed young players to come to us, use our facilities and coaches for a few years and then swan off to another club as soon as they showed real promise, then the academy would actually be worse than useless.

Personally, I think that there's no point in having a big academy outside the Premier League. The best youngsters will never join us, the ones that do will well want to move on as soon as they start to look decent and the realties of Championship promotion means that no manager will ever dare risking youngsters in crucial games. Far better to drop to level 3 and spend about £250k annually, just to keep the door open to the next Will Hughes (who came through a much smaller academy set up.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15846
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 10:03 am

I was struck by this 15 year-old looking for his FIFTH academy place
    as other posters have mentioned.

Has he been cut loose after two years by each of his previous clubs?
    If so, there could be a problem, such as he just isn't quite good enough
    or, as rob says, the clubs have had issues with his father or agent.

If it's the latter case, with possibly a lawyer in the offing, I can understand
    why DCFC haven't commented. The result is a very one-sided report, designed
    to show DCFC in a bad light.

There have been two interesting articles in The Guardian on the way
    academy kids are treated (badly) and the problems this can cause -

Despite what football clubs say, the support for rejected boys is not there

Football’s biggest issue - the struggle facing boys rejected by academies

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4488
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 11:05 am

I find this lad's argument hard to equate, how many youngsters have been put though the various academies in the English football tier? Must be thousands, yet one objects and a media presence magnifies it out of all proportion without a balanced argument from his present (or past) club.

A fine example of the media at it's finest on a slow news week. Finger Stirring the pot
    old ewe

Number of posts : 623
    Registration date : 2012-05-20

Post by old ewe on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 6:18 pm

He and his father were on Victoria the other morning. It was Zak who did all the talking and was very self-confident in his manner and what he had to say. His father did admit he knew what he had signed up for in the contract. I don't remember any mention of the carpet-bagging from club to club, nor that the compensation scheme was an agreed national scale and not something peculiar to our club.......... a 'small club' according to the interviewer. There was quick mention of a statement from DCFC pointing out the our academy was in the top rating. This may have mentioned the generally accepted scale but to be honest there was so little weight given to the Club side that most of that got lost.
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4282
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 8:10 pm

I have to wonder at his advisors personally.

I would have gone to the club and said "look to save any bad press, can we talk terms such as fee waiving" which appears to be common, which I assume is because they don't want bad press hence the fee waiving in the first bloody place.
    Jeepers it aint rocket science!

They have now put the lad deeper in the doo-doo, whilst proclaiming to be looking out for him. Bang head

I suggest they request a meeting with a view to retracting any bad will, and to thank the club for the support so far, my guess is the club will say okay and let it go, simply because they can then get some positive press.

Good luck sunshine it sounds like you will need it with poor advice like you have received so far Thumbs up Thumbs up
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2077
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 8:06 am

unless he gets signed up by the big six - and surely they would have spotted him by now - who will want a known trouble making potential mercenary on their books?
    King Zak

Number of posts : 519
    Registration date : 2012-08-18

Post by King Zak on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 10:48 am

rob wrote:unless he gets signed up by the big six - and surely they would have spotted him by now - who will want a known trouble making potential mercenary on their books?

Started at Villa but his dad "fell out" with them so Zak got a move to Man City (which apparently "ended in acrimony"). They went to Spain and signed with Athletico Madrid. Then back to Derby.
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/the-nightmares-that-lurk-beneath-the-football-dream-laid-bare-in-/4bg4ts9otawh1txlqx0x0ay1q
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 13797

Post by MadAmster on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 11:54 am

King Zak wrote:
    rob wrote:unless he gets signed up by the big six - and surely they would have spotted him by now - who will want a known trouble making potential mercenary on their books?

Started at Villa but his dad "fell out" with them so Zak got a move to Man City (which apparently "ended in acrimony"). They went to Spain and signed with Athletico Madrid. Then back to Derby.
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/the-nightmares-that-lurk-beneath-the-football-dream-laid-bare-in-/4bg4ts9otawh1txlqx0x0ay1q

Which means nobody will touch him with a bargepole.

Well done! NOT!!
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    Number of posts : 641
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 2:16 pm

Sadly I expect he's not the only prospect who's potential career is/has been hampered by a meddling parent.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 2:15 am