Fulham 1-1 Derby reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15958
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Fulham 1-1 Derby reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 7:27 pm

For the visit to Craven Cottage (where Derby have not won a league game since 1969
    when Brian Clough was in charge), the Rams made three changes to the team that lost
    to Reading before the international break.

Carson
    Baird Keogh Davies Forsyth
    Huddlestone Ledley
    Lawrence Vydra Johnson
    Nugent

subs: Mitchell Pearce Hanson Russell Weimann Martin Winnall

Derby began by pressing the Fulham defence in their own half, making it hard for them
    to pass their way forward, but the Rams were often as ponderous when building attacks,
    so there were few chances and no shots at first. Carson had to make an excellent save
    when a fine long pass by Norwood found Ayité in a gap between Keogh and Davies. From
    that point Fulham did most of the attacking ad the the Rams' defence was kept busy.
    Derby's rare attacks were mostly started by Keogh but their passes into the final third
    were too inaccurate to stretch the Fulham back four.

Two free kicks led to a goal for Fulham on 30 minutes. The first found Nugent's hand as
    the ball was bending round the wall, which led to the second. This free kick, ten yards
    closer to goal, found a gaping hole in the Derby wall when the Fulham players moved
    aside from the wall, giving Carson no chance.  Encouraged by their lead, Fulham went
    on with their attacks, orchestrated by Norwood and Cairney, and they looked far more
    dangerous than the Rams, who struggled to clear their lines. In the dying minutes of
    the half, the Rams made a sustained attack but the Fulham defence managed to keep
    them out, and Derby ended the half with one off-target shot.
    HT Fulham 1-0 Derby

Derby started the second half on the attack but passes into the final third were still not
    good enough to threaten the goal. Forsyth made a crucial tackle in the penalty area to
    thwart a quick Fulham counter-attack. Much like his goal for Wales, Lawrence won the
    ball in midfield and made a great individual run into the Fulham box to set up Vydra for
    a tap in to level on 50 minutes. Derby pressed much higher and were rewarded by
    winning far more of the ball in Fulham's half, leading to quicker build up of their attacks.
    Vydra and Nugent combined well and came much more into the game because they
    were not isolated as they had been in the first half.

Fulham were limited to fast counter-attacks for a while but these were effective and
    they might have retaken the lead when a header just cleared the bar and again when
    Baird made a fine saving header. Lawrence tried another run into the Fulham box but
    he was tackled before he could pass and Vydra broke away several times to create half
    chances for himself. Weimann came on for Johnson and Martin for Vydra on 72 minutes.
    Derby switched off in defence briefly and were lucky not to be punished when a good
    Fulham pass crossed the area untouched by anyone. Fulham set up lots of promising
    chances, mainly down the wings, but a mix of desperate defending and wild shots meant
    that they did not score. Russell replaced Lawrence on for the last 10 minutes. The half
    closed with more Fulham attacks and some good defending, notably by Baird. The Rams
    had a last gasp chance to steal a win in extra time when Martin set up Nugent but the
    keeper was too quick for him. A draw was a fair result.
    FT Fulham 1-1 Derby

Derby needed a win to return to a playoff spot. The draw keeps them in 7th for now.

DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 907
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Re: Fulham 1-1 Derby reports and comments

Post by DavesaRam on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 11:19 pm

That was a great away point. Because Fulham have a quick, mobile midfield who are good on the ball I was expecting us to be turned over because our slow, ponderous midfield can't cope with. We were very organised and closed Fulham down almost all the way through the match. And whether Fulham don't have a striker with a killer instinct, or we defended well and limited them to half-chances at best I don't know although ti was probably a mixture of the two. Sterling work from all concerned.

We went behind from two free-kicks that never were. The first one was awarded for a great tackle which I believe got the ball, and as Rowett pointed out on Sky after the match, a Fulham player was offside during the build-up but that wasn't given. The second free-kick was for handball when all Nugent did was jump to block the shot, putting his arm across his face for protection. The ball hit his right hand which was above his left shoulder, i.e. in a natural position for such an action. It most definitely wasn't an attempt to play the ball with his hand. I knew it was going to lead to a goal, because opposition teams regularly score from non-free-kicks.

However, as ever, once the kick has been awarded. we have to defend it. We chose to defend it by leaving a huge, 3-man gap in the middle of the wall. Fulham kindly offered to fill that gap, but their players then ducked out of it when the kick was taken, leaving Carson no chance.

Fulham owned the first half, but although we hadn't threatened much neither had Fulham, to all intents and purposes. I was left wondering how the only "homer" referees we come across are when we are playing away, because he was giving Fulham everything, and us virtually nothing.

Actually it turned out to be a game of two halves, because in the second half the ref started giving us the free-kicks which he should have given us anyway, and that evened the game up. It also showed Fulham up, because for a supposedly free-flowing footballing side, they are very dirty and cynical. And the ref evened things up because he turned down a clear-cut penalty when Lawrence, going for the ball, took the Fulham player's leg from under him. When was the last time that a ref evened things up for Derby?

Our goal was superb, with Lawrence dancing through what looked like the entire Fulham team on his way int the area, having won the ball for himself, before a supreme flick through for Vydra to do what he does. Excellent. From then onwards we bossed the game, until the last 10 minutes or so (coinciding with Vydra being subbed). They managed a few threatening crosses, but still didn't actually threaten to score - I don't even think they managed a shot on target in the second half.

That was a very satisfying performance. Still not our best, but we did a job, and did it well. If I was offered a point before the game I would have been arrested for robbery with menaces because I expected us to be over-run in mid-field.

Well done lads! COYR!
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11351
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 19 Nov 2017, 10:35 am

Not the worst performance I've seen this season, but I just find us a bit dull to be honest. I always feel like there is more to come and that the parts are greater than the sum of the parts which is clearly the wrong way round.

I think that we look like a team that is missing a few key ingredients, which in truth is probably exactly what we are, so roll on January and fingers crossed that we can clear some of the deadwood out and get in a couple of gems, because I genuinely think that that's all we need, because we are a play off contenders without even getting clise to top form.
    KeoghKeogh

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 609
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sun 19 Nov 2017, 1:07 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Not the worst performance I've seen this season, but I just find us a bit dull to be honest. I always feel like there is more to come and that the parts are greater than the sum of the parts which is clearly the wrong way round.

I think that we look like a team that is missing a few key ingredients, which in truth is probably exactly what we are, so roll on January and fingers crossed that we can clear some of the deadwood out and get in a couple of gems, because I genuinely think that that's all we need, because we are a play off contenders without even getting clise to top form.

yep - spot on
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3789
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sun 19 Nov 2017, 4:06 pm

I was at that game in 1969 when we beat Fulham 1-0. I never thought we'd get to 2017 without repeating the achievement.

Happy with a point yesterday. If Fulham had a decent striker to get on the end of the stream of crosses coming into our box they'd have buried us. I was disappointed with Huddlestone. With his talent he should be controlling games from midfield. Instead, we saw a couple of perfectly flighted passes and that was about it.

He's capable of so much more. I just wish he's show it.

valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1589
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sun 19 Nov 2017, 9:46 pm

...and what's happened to Thorne?
    prideParkhead

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    First ever game : Derby 2 v 0 Liverpool 1975
    Number of posts : 537
    Registration date : 2011-01-08

Post by prideParkhead on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 9:32 am

I'd keep Baird in ahead of Wisdom for the QPR game. About time Huddleston was 'rested' as he continues to disappoint and we don't need two sitting midfielders at home against a team that will come and park the bus. A good point away from home but we need to follow up by winning on Tuesday

Last edited by prideParkhead on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4664
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 10:09 am

valakari wrote:...and what's happened to Thorne?

GT played in Friday nights' u23 game for the full 90 in search of that elusive match sharpness. (As pointed out to me by Sidney Smooth in another thread).
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14135
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 2:43 pm

Watched the game in Talk of the Town, Corralejo. Totally underwhelmed. Too many good teams in the SBC to expect to be able to get away with constantly giving the opposition 60 and 70 % possession and get away with it. That isn't and never has been, the Derby Way. We got away with it in the 7 match run but got hit by the mighty Reading...... That, IMO, will happen more often if we carry on this way.

We seemed to wake up afetr going 1 down and the goal we got was a good one, a very good one. Why don't we try to play that way from the off as opposed to waiting for the oppo to score before doing what we are capable of.

If we start the same way at home against QPR, who are likely to park the bus and hope, much as we seem to do, it could be the boringest 0-0 draw ever. I hope DCFC have a bit of a go.
    valakari

Post by valakari on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 4:11 pm

What really should we expect. Rowett has been used to working with bang average players and making them hard to beat...both at Burton and Birmingham.
    He doesn't have a clue regarding flair,entertainment and good possession based,attacking football.
    Just my opinion mind you...just think he is out of his depth at Derby..even though it was a good run, it was shite football.
    RRC
    Admin

Number of posts : 15958
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 5:19 pm

valakari wrote:What really should we expect. Rowett has been used to working with bang average players and making them hard to beat...both at Burton and Birmingham.
    He doesn't have a clue regarding flair,entertainment and good possession based,attacking football.
    Just my opinion mind you...just think he is out of his depth at Derby..even though it was a good run, it was shite football.

I'm inclined to agree with you, though to be fair Rowett's hands have been tied
    by spending limits and previous silly overspending. He's also been hindered by the
    entrenched attitudes of some players and their lack of fitness over 90 minutes (no
    wonder we kept conceding late goals).

Most of his signings have been OK, though it concerns me when our managers try
    to sign players from their previous clubs, especially when those clubs are worse than
    us (such as Kieftenbeld, who looks nothing special). Ledley is probably his best
    signing and he wouldn't have signed Ledley if the Kieftenbeld deal had gone through.
    It seems our scouting may still be rather blinkered - we don't seem to look at the whole
    transfer market, so our options are limited, competition is fierce and fees are inflated.

Imho it isn't fair to judge Rowett on one third of a season. We'll have a better idea
    of his plans for the team and his ability to make them successful after a full season.

I'd be happier if we chose our managers purely on merit, not on a Derby connection.

valakari

Post by valakari on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 12:54 am

When you win you get away with poor performances...its human nature as we all would take the 3 points and be happy..BUT...the attitudes change very quickly when you don't win...in general if you play good football, winning takes care of itself. Add to that a twitchy chairman who is also a fan...just saying
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 9:04 am

valakari wrote:When you win you get away with poor performances...its human nature as we all would take the 3 points and be happy..BUT...the attitudes change very quickly when you don't win...in general if you play good football, winning takes care of itself. Add to that a twitchy chairman who is also a fan...just saying

Right through that 7 game unbeaten run I loved the run but was vocal in my doubting. Doubting that we could sustain it with the football played.

I fully expected somebody to do us and when it happened it was lowly Reading.....

Since then we have had the 2 week break followed by the Fulham game and that game is what worries me. Having had 2 weeks to do something to cure that slow start we seem to have developed.............. we started slowly again.

Fulham pressed us and we were forced into mistakes which equal loss of possession. We didn't press them and they racked up 71% possession in the opening 45 minutes. They were in and around our box most of the half and we have never, in my lifetime, been a team that can go out to defend for 90 minutes and get away with it.

Then they scored and we seemed to wake up. Possession stats at FT were 57-43. We had 5 shots to their 13. Both 2 on target.

We can't rely on the opposition leaving their shooting boots at home every game. We need more "getinto'em" injecting into out performances or I fear we will end up "7th to 12th".

I firmly believe that we have players who are good enough to do the necessary. They simply aren't doing it at the moment. The worrying thing is things don't look like changing any time soon.

QPR are awful. We HAVE to come out all guns blazing against them. If we don't compete in midfield and harry them they will get possession, get into positions they shouldn't and an early goal would do wonders for their confidence, as happened with Reading. Having said that, Reading are a much better side but the reverse of that is everybody says everybody can beat everybody in the SBC........... I really hope we put QPR to the sword tonight.
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3789
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 9:16 am

Any chance you could do the pre-match pep talk before tonight's game, MA ?

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 2:23 pm

bramhallram wrote:Any chance you could do the pre-match pep talk before tonight's game, MA ?  

Already emailed the following to GR:

"Right lads, it's a poor QPR tonight in our own back yard. Don't make the mistake we did against Reading by conceding the midfield to them. Get into em from the off pressing them when they have the ball and force them into errors. When we have the ball let's look to make positive passes without making them too risky. If there isn't a reasonable looking attacking pass on then sideways or backwards is OK but shouldn't be the preferred option.

They are there for the taking but the game still has to be won, they aren't going to give it to us on a plate. Go out and win it."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 19 Feb 2018, 11:45 am