Derby 1-0 Burton reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15927
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 1-0 Burton reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 5:04 pm

Derby made three changes to the team that lost to Ipswich on Tuesday.
    Olsson, Thorne and Martin replaced Forsyth, Huddlestone and Nugent.
    Burton lined up in a 5-4-1 formation with former Rams Brayford, Naylor
    and Buxton in the back five in front of Bywater in goal.

Carson
    Baird Keogh Davies Olsson
    Thorne Ledley
    Weimann Vydra Lawrence
    Martin

subs: Mitchell, Wisdom, Huddlestone, Russell, Johnson, Nugent, Winnall

The first chance came when the Rams combined well to set up Olsson for a shot
    but he only found the side netting. At the other end, Palmer forced a good save
    from Carson. Derby found it difficult to break down Burton's packed defence and
    they had to be patient when probing for openings. Lawrence missed with a long
    shot and Martin had another easily saved by Bywater. Davies and Keogh dealt
    very well with Burton's attacks.

Weimann and Lawrence made good runs but too often there was nobody in the
    box to aim for, so it was easy for Burton. Derby's attacks were never quick enough
    or incisive enough to stretch the Burton defence. Lawrence and Vydra created some
    half chances but nothing clear cut. Derby had nine shots (one on target) and four
    corners in the half. The nearest the Rams came to a goal was when Turner almost
    deflected a pass into his own net but Bywater managed to save it.
    HT Derby 0-0 Burton

Weimann drove through the middle and Martin played a return pass but Bywater
    saved Weimann's shot easily. Derby's continuing failure to score encouraged Burton,
    who were growing in confidence, and the Rams were pushed back. Burton came
    close to scoring from their second corner but Weimann made a crucial header off
    the line. Russell replaced Vydra on 63 minutes and Winnall came on for Lawrence
    on 73 minutes.

Russell and Baird gave the ball away to set Burton away for promising attacks and
    the Brewers had a good spell, keeping Derby in their own half,  but their shooting
    was no better than Derby's. Johnson replaced Thorne on 79 minutes. Martin had a
    good shot saved but the ball fell to Russell, who netted on 81 minutes. Burton tried
    very hard to equalize and they should have scored in extra time when Akins missed
    with an excellent chance from a Varney free kick. Having lots of possession doesn't
    seem to help Derby. They lack the ideas and quality to penetrate a packed defence
    and resorting to hopeful long balls doesn't work.
    FT Derby 1-0 Burton

Derby's first league win over Burton lifted them into 5th place ahead of Bristol City,
    who play Boro at tea time. The teams above them had mixed fortunes this weekend:
    Cardiff beat Norwich, and Villa drew with Leeds on Friday, but Sheffield United lost
    at Millwall. Wolves play at Birmingham on Monday.

bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3770
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Re: Derby 1-0 Burton reports and comments

Post by bramhallram on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 5:22 pm

Nicking a 1-0 win against the bottom club is hard to get excited about, especially when we nearly threw it away right at the end.

How did we manage to beat Hull 5-0 ?

Mucker1884

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10251
    Registration date : 2009-07-22

Post by Mucker1884 on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 5:54 pm

Well, that went well... unlike my usual haunt in the NE corner, they have heaters in the ceiling in the concourse of the West Stand! Who knew!

Nothing much else happened.

End of report.
    darthdmun

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 79
    Number of posts : 1933
    Registration date : 2009-03-02

Post by darthdmun on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 9:27 pm

as it must have been a very entertaining game.  LOL
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 11:15 pm

A poor game, actually an awful game. I guess Derby are consistent in that degree.

We didn't really create any clear cut chances as per usual and relied on a defensive and rather unforced error for our goal.

Still, a win is a win and it moves our team of ageing journeymen up inside the play offs.

Again, GR chose to start with Ledley. Why the need for a defensive midfielder against Burton at home? Granted, he tried to play slightly further forward but he was still positioned at times just in front of our back four.

Lawrence. I really do not rate this player at all. Why is he in the team, as his performances are not justifying his selection? If JR were playing like he was, he would be out of the side and the fans would be berating him. Drop him for JR in the next outing please. I'm also beginning to think he is a bit of a cheat. He goes down very easily trying to deceive the referee.

Vydra was full of effort but the ball just kept bouncing off him.

Martin did well and is a better option than Nuge and Thorne had a good 75 minutes.

PP sounded like a morgue. Yes, I wasn't there and watched the game on Rams TV. The drawback there being that we have to endure rank bad commentary and listen to ex-players with half a brain cell ramble on at half-time.

Onwards and upwards.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1536
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 11:30 pm

Personally I thought Davies and Ledley being labelled as footballers is breaking the trades description act..seriouslt how poor are they with a football at their feet...so uncomfortable!
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1093
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 8:39 am

Wasnt there so whats the general opinion on martin starting before Nugent. ?
    Hope did he play?
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 8:49 am

Predicted 1-0 but it could of gone either way, again another poor performance, but it’s getting results so can’t complain at that!
    Good to see Thorne back, and that was the only good thing, except Russell’s goal!!
    If it sounded like a morgue on TV it was worse in the ground, Burton didn’t bring loads but it was them you could hear singing
    Oh and enjoyed the Jake buxtons a football genius chant as he applauded the south stand at the end, took my Burton mate and he doesn’t rate him to my amazement
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11270
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 9:21 am

It went exactly like I thought it would, two dull teams, one trying to win, one trying not to lose. The result was probably about right because neither team had the wherewithall to create a bit of magic.

Unfortunately this is what we should expect at Pride Park because Gary Rowett is an 'arm wrestle' type of manager and in fairness to him, most fans were crying out for a manager who could make us hard to beat. The test for him now is to add something different that can open up games at home. Maybe in the interim he has to get them to start faster and get an early goal which would open the game up a bit.

I thought Keogh was good again and I like Davies along side him, although his passing can be very poor when the full back is closed down. I thought Ledley did well and it was nice to see George out there again. I would say however that he did nothing that Huddlestone hasn't been doing since the start of the season in my opinion. With more games I'm sure that he would improve. The problem with the way we set up is that the weight of the world is on less than half of the team in that the front four have the responsibilty of winning the game, whereas the rest just have to protect what we have.

Personally I like Lawrence, he is the only one who runs at defenders and never seems to lose confidence when things go wrong, he also seems to carry the burden and responsibility heavier than the other three which is probably down to the fee we paid for him.

In my opinion things are ok, we aren't entertainers but we are good grinders which will get us close. As fans we need to get over ourselves, we moan like little spoilt brats but rarely praise the good things that we do and whilst that general unease exists around the club it will be hard for change to take place.

Ask yourselves, were you somebody who liked the fact that we used to tank teams at home but were so easily rolled over by big tough teams or were you one of the many begging the club to move in a different direction? I'm happy to accept that this is what we have to endure during a time of transition, and maybe we should see where we are in 18 months time to judge whether our criticism are justified.
    rjrules71

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4332
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 10:00 am

I would have been more than happy tobe in the PO places at the turn, when we started the season.

Since that is where we are and teams respect us enough to try and scrape a point by parking the bus, then IMHO we are not in anyway able to complain.
    Even the top PL sides struggle against 10 man defences.
    They have the likes of Hazard and De bruyne, we have Johnny Russell, I rest my case Afraid

valakari

Post by valakari on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 11:12 am

Its not very entertaining to watch, and the attendences have fallen gradually all season.
    Here is my assessment of the players yesterday:
    Carson. Had nothing to do.
    Baird. Did nothing and hardly saw the ball. Was the only player stood out on the right when we had the ball..and no one wanted to pass it to him,instead looked for other options...which slowed the game down. Wisdom for me.
    Olsson. Average, don't rate him, but fully understand why he played as Forsyth was awful v Ipswich.
    Keogh. Hardly put a foot wrong, and without him there would be no impetus when we have the ball from the back.
    Davies. So uncomfortable on the ball, good in the air but thats about it. We don't have a better option, but him,Pearce and Shackell for me are very similar.
    Ledley. Very simple player who is not great on the ball and tends to go backwards and sideways..not sure we need him in games at home against teams like Burton.
    Thorne. Far from his best, but like that he still was brave enough to try to make his long incisive passes, and also brave in the tackle..so relieving that he came through them.
    Lawrence. Wasnt his best, but he did carry the ball well and showed alot of attacking intent, looks like he has a great deal to offer..needs more goals and assists like last season at Ipswich.
    Weimann. Short on final product, but tirelessly working hard all game and sprinting backwards and forwards still after 95 minutes...he must be very fit.
    Vydra. Looks sharp but missed some chances and didnt take chance to shoot, once in particular when a clear opening in the first half.
    Martin. Some nice touches, nice hold up play and never stopped. Brought a great save out of Bywater, which led to the goal. Great to see him playing..he needs goals too.
    Subs.
    Johnson.Added some bite, can't fault his tenacity but did give away some silly free kicks at the end which could have been dangerous to us.
    Russell. took his goal well. So can't argue, but won't get a regular start whilst Weimann keeps running..Russell offers nothing more.
    Winnell. Not sure what he did when he came on. Surprised Nugent didn't get the nod ahead of him?
    Players not coming on:
    Huddlestone. I'd be tempted to play him with Keogh at the back..we may be able to play from the back then without cringing when Davies is on the ball.
    Nugent. Should have come on..but i dont see him in the starting 11.
    Wisdom. Should now be playing ahead of Baird who offers nothing going forward.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6290
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 12:13 pm

outsider wrote:Wasnt there so whats the general opinion on martin starting before Nugent. ?
    Hope did he play?

I thought that Martin kept dropping too deep and squeezed Vydra out. Nugent would have been a better option yesterday as he'd have moved the Burton defenders out of position, leaving gaps for Vydra to exploit.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6290

Post by CornwallRam on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 12:22 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:It went exactly like I thought it would, two dull teams, one trying to win, one trying not to lose. The result was probably about right because neither team had the wherewithall to create a bit of magic.

Unfortunately this is what we should expect at Pride Park because Gary Rowett is an 'arm wrestle' type of manager and in fairness to him, most fans were crying out for a manager who could make us hard to beat. The test for him now is to add something different that can open up games at home. Maybe in the interim he has to get them to start faster and get an early goal which would open the game up a bit.

I thought Keogh was good again and I like Davies along side him, although his passing can be very poor when the full back is closed down. I thought Ledley did well and it was nice to see George out there again. I would say however that he did nothing that Huddlestone hasn't been doing since the start of the season in my opinion. With more games I'm sure that he would improve. The problem with the way we set up is that the weight of the world is on less than half of the team in that the front four have the responsibilty of winning the game, whereas the rest just have to protect what we have.

Personally I like Lawrence, he is the only one who runs at defenders and never seems to lose confidence when things go wrong, he also seems to carry the burden and responsibility heavier than the other three which is probably down to the fee we paid for him.

In my opinion things are ok, we aren't entertainers but we are good grinders which will get us close. As fans we need to get over ourselves, we moan like little spoilt brats but rarely praise the good things that we do and whilst that general unease exists around the club it will be hard for change to take place.

Ask yourselves, were you somebody who liked the fact that we used to tank teams at home but were so easily rolled over by big tough teams or were you one of the many begging the club to move in a different direction? I'm happy to accept that this is what we have to endure during a time of transition, and maybe we should see where we are in 18 months time to judge whether our criticism are justified.

I disagree on Thorne/Huddlestone. Thorne was 10 yards further forward than Huddlestone, which gave the whole team a better shape. Thorne was also far more mobile and swept up a lot loose balls and tracked runners. Huddelstone is a bit of a statue when out of possession. Thorne also played it simple far more often than Huddlestone - which you can read as less ambitious or just that he's got more up top and can adapt to the situation better.

On the Rowett thing. I'm very happy with where we are. It feels like this team is being built on solid foundations, not McClaren's sand. OK, we don't get to steamroller many sides, but we're climbing the table nicely. Maybe Rowett will add players to open up the parked bus more effectively in January. It may be a bit boring - but nothing like watching the tippy-tappy, side to side dirge that Clement served up.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 894
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 9:38 pm

Well that was much better, without there being much difference, if you understand what I mean! I was suprised beyond belief with the team selection. Loads of people were crying out for George Thorne to start, and for Martin to get a start as well. In both cases, Rowett kept trying to make a case for not putting them in, with hims saying that George needs game time to get up to speed, but wouldn't give him that game time in case it weakened the team. So a great suprise there. It is rare for a Derby manager to do what the fans have been crying out for, although what do we know?

So although we struggled to get round the bus, there was a much better feel about the team. For a start, Martin  continued the impact he has made as a sub. Against Ipswich, he knitted the play together really well and created several openings, and it didn't surprise me at all that we got the majority of chances/half-chances after he came on. He was doing much the same against Burton, with  less effect because it seems that Burton were better bus drivers than Ipswich. He wasn't getting himself into scoring opportunities too often, but was again keeping the ball moving. He looked a yard or two quicker than previous seasons, and seemed to give a damm, probably because he is now having to play for his place. Good to have back in the starting line-up.

Although nothing much came off for Vydra, there are times when he looks on a different plane to everyone else on the pitch. Some of his lay-offs, through balls and flicks-on show fantastic vision and awareness. We spent much of the first half almost getting through, but not quite, and there was a large element, as on Tuesday night, where the ball just wouldn't run for us. In fact we won the game the only time the ball ran kindly for us. He also got a very nasty kick on his ankle in the first half which noticeably affected him. Tom lawrence is coming in for some stick, and seems to have inherited the "bollock him regardless of what he does" crown from Keogh and Russell. In reality he is the only player, except for Keogh, who is willing to take a man on and run directly at the defence. He does have a lot of potential, and without him we look even flatter than we often do. We need to get off his back and give him time - we might be surprised.

The major benefit on Saturday was seeing George Thorne in the starting line-up. He looked the business on Tuesday when he came on, and he was heavily involved in most of what we did for the entire time he was on the pitch - not just because players kept passing to him, but because when he hadn't got the ball he was moving into space and demanding the ball. He really wanted to be involved. He was pointing and gesturing where his team mates needed to be, either to receive a pass or to counter what Burton were trying to do. So instead of just looking after his own game, he has the vision and awareness to see the big picture, and the ability to direct his colleagues. If he can keep his fitness, he will make a great captain, and could still captain England if he continues his recovery like he is. There were some rusty passes, but he added so much to the team that he cannot be ignored. I know he plays a similar role to Huddlestone, but offers way more. Maybe we were a couple of years too late in signing Tom. He still shows flashes of his phenomenal passing ability, but all too often he is trying to not loose the ball instead of trying to make things happen. He is also barely above immobile when he hasn't got the ball, whereas George is constantly running here and there getting into space and making himself available. I am hoping that Tom had got a bit tired and needs a bit of a break to freshen up.

What Martin and Thorne have brought back to the team is the hope that we can make things happen, instead of hoping the ball flukes its way through to a striker. So even though we didn't create much in the first half, there was an expectation which we haven't had for a while. Good onya, lads!

Keogh is getting more and more adventurous with his surges forwards and is a real threat when he runs through the opposition midfield. This is an addition to his really solid defending work. It is amazing what a difference it makes having people alongside you in defence who can actually defend!There has been a suggestion in this thread that Huddlestone could move alongside Keogh, and it does sound plausible, although I don't think he is consistently string enough in the challenge for that role. However, although Davies has brought some solidity to the defence he can be a liability when he has the ball at his feet - there is always a clear-cut opportunity waiting to be handed to the opposition with him.

Our second half performance was much better, although still not really up to speed, with a number of chances or half-chances. But as ever, the ball just didn't want to fall to us. The ref and his assistants weren't much help, giving Burton free-kicks when a Derby player stood on their shadow, but giving very little to us, including yet another clear penalty, this time for a very obvious handball. However, when the goal did come, it was one of those moments which is over in a nano-second, but I knew it was a goal before Russel had gone for the shot.

In the end it was a fair result, if only because we were trying to win it, while Burton were simply trying not to lose, as Loughborough Ram said. I was puzzled by our "lets close things down and hold on to our lead" mentality. This might be justifiable against the top teams, but Burton have struggled to score all season, and were there for the taking. We should have turned the screw but didn't, and it seems that Rowett doesn't do "expansive" too often, unless he wasn't able to let his Burton "bygones" actually be "bygones".

Yesterday was a small step forwards, but this "small step for man" has yet to become "a large step for mankind". We will have to be patient and see what the next year or so  brings.
    valakari

Post by valakari on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 1:18 am

Well Dave, we are certainly in agreement.
    You have highlighted our best players....Martin, Thorne, Keogh, Lawrence and Vydra. These 5 together with Carson should be the base we work around. Just hope Rowett sees it this way!
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14026

Post by MadAmster on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 8:58 am

On the drive up from Henlow the concensus was lots of goals if we can get one early but that Burton would park the bus and frustrate the hell out of us as well as timewasting whenever possible. That turned out to be the way that it was.

They did do some time wasting 1st half. 2nd half lots of it with "rat out" being the biggest culprit. The less than average ref did nowt to stop it.

Davies is coming in for a lot of stick lately and folk are right that he often looks poor on the ball. Cloughie always used to pick players for what they do rather than what they can't do. IMO, Davies is a very good defender. This has enabled Keogh to play his own game rather than spending most of a game out of position to cover for his defensive partner's weaknesses. This is helping Keogh's performance no end.

Olsson is a better defender on the floor than Fozzy.

Baird also played well defensively but did nothing going forward

Ledley was Ledley. A steady Eddie type who clears up things and then gives the ball to someone else who can attempt to do something constructive.

GT was back and rusty but still a rock. He will get faster as he gets more game time and he will start seeing the runs of Weimann, Vydra and Lawrence. A lot of which he missed.

Vydra was often in the right place at the right time but, as he often does, he seemed to be unable to control the ball. Not his best game.

Lawrence. Bags of talent, bags of confidence, bags of energy but he just isn't doing it at the moment. I don't doubt he will come good but I get the idea that he is still trying too hard rather than playing "naturally".

Weimann. Relentless runner who was involved everywhere at both ends including a header off the line to stop them scoring. My MOTM just ahead of Keogh.

Martin. Stood in the South Stand, I was next to a man who said before the game that he "hated Martin cos he is too slow, lazy and hasn't realised that refs have sussed out his cheating". Coldplay ran about a lot, did a lot of linking up play, a great shot well pushed over by Bywater. Every time he did something well I mentioned it. After about 25 minutes I asked him how many poor thing Martin had done so far...... he remembered one missed tackle. He got the point. He went to the bar at HT with his 3 mates at HT. 2nd half I had 4 empty seats to my right.

The setup surprised me. We didn't need 2 DMs against Burton. Admittedly, GT did play forwards of Leedley but 2 DMs is an unnecessary luxury when you know the oppo will park the bus. BA did try to attack more than I had anticipated but I still think that if we had played 1 DM and gone at them with 5 attacking players rather than 4 we would have had them in all sorts of trouble.

Can't fault Burton. In reality, they did what we do away. It seems we do it better. Home teams can't break us down just as we had difficulty with Burton. We looked slightly the more likely to score but once an early goal didn't come, it was always going to be a grind.

Highlights of the day were, in no particular order.......

Meeting rj for the first time
    Meeting Steven Rocroft and his lady wife for the first time
    Spending half an hour pre game talking to my best mate of 55 years, Phil Parkes, not seen each other since 1991. We took up where we left off.
    Meeting Gaz Willis in the concourse

Great weekend for me. Good gig in Henlow Friday night. Meeting Gary Luxon, another "internet only" friend on Saturday evening at the Engineers. Been told I can play there again any time.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4599
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 12:09 pm

The best football has been played by any teams that plays 'partnerships' we only seem to have a couple at the moment. Against Burton we had Keogh & Davies and , errrm, well just them. There has been Nugent & Vydra but the partnership was broken to accommodate Martin in the Nugent role. Nuge might not score too much nowadays but he creates space for his striking partner by his running, something Martin's style is not suited to. Rest one rest both might be a good mantra in this case and put Lawrence in the number 10 role when Martin plays to get Tom involved more centrally with him being quick physically and mentally, seems to work for Wales.

Against Burton Nigel used a tactic that was thoughtful and tried to break the Davies & Keogh partnership up by putting a marker on Keogh when Carson had the ball to stop Davies from passing to the only person who could direct the ball more accurately than any other defender in our side which fragmented our game and made us look worse than what we were. We overcame but it was more by persistence than skill. Under Mac we would have lost that game but under Gary we didn't.
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4332
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 5:14 pm

MadAmster wrote:On the drive up from Henlow the concensus was lots of goals if we can get one early but that Burton would park the bus and frustrate the hell out of us as well as timewasting whenever possible. That turned out to be the way that it was.

They did do some time wasting 1st half. 2nd half lots of it with "rat out" being the biggest culprit. The less than average ref did nowt to stop it.

Davies is coming in for a lot of stick lately and folk are right that he often looks poor on the ball. Cloughie always used to pick players for what they do rather than what they can't do. IMO, Davies is a very good defender. This has enabled Keogh to play his own game rather than spending most of a game out of position to cover for his defensive partner's weaknesses. This is helping Keogh's performance no end.

Olsson is a better defender on the floor than Fozzy.

Baird also played well defensively but did nothing going forward

Ledley was Ledley. A steady Eddie type who clears up things and then gives the ball to someone else who can attempt to do something constructive.

GT was back and rusty but still a rock. He will get faster as he gets more game time and he will start seeing the runs of Weimann, Vydra and Lawrence. A lot of which he missed.

Vydra was often in the right place at the right time but, as he often does, he seemed to be unable to control the ball. Not his best game.

Lawrence. Bags of talent, bags of confidence, bags of energy but he just isn't doing it at the moment. I don't doubt he will come good but I get the idea that he is still trying too hard rather than playing "naturally".

Weimann. Relentless runner who was involved everywhere at both ends including a header off the line to stop them scoring. My MOTM just ahead of Keogh.

Martin. Stood in the South Stand, I was next to a man who said before the game that he "hated Martin cos he is too slow, lazy and hasn't realised that refs have sussed out his cheating". Coldplay ran about a lot, did a lot of linking up play, a great shot well pushed over by Bywater. Every time he did something well I mentioned it. After about 25 minutes I asked him how many poor thing Martin had done so far...... he remembered one missed tackle. He got the point. He went to the bar at HT with his 3 mates at HT. 2nd half I had 4 empty seats to my right.

The setup surprised me. We didn't need 2 DMs against Burton. Admittedly, GT did play forwards of Leedley but 2 DMs is an unnecessary luxury when you know the oppo will park the bus. BA did try to attack more than I had anticipated but I still think that if we had played 1 DM and gone at them with 5 attacking players rather than 4 we would have had them in all sorts of trouble.

Can't fault Burton. In reality, they did what we do away. It seems we do it better. Home teams can't break us down just as we had difficulty with Burton. We looked slightly the more likely to score but once an early goal didn't come, it was always going to be a grind.

Highlights of the day were, in no particular order.......

Meeting Steven Rocroft and his lady wife for the first time
    Spending half an hour pre game talking to my best mate of 55 years, Phil Parkes, not seen each other since 1991. We took up where we left off.
    Meeting Gaz Willis in the concourse

Great weekend for me. Good gig in Henlow Friday night. Meeting Gary Luxon, another "internet only" friend on Saturday evening at the Engineers. Been told I can play there again any time.

Ammy
    whilst I don't doubt that it would have been the highlight of your day, I was the other end of the A52 on a birthday celebration. Whistle

#IS THERE IS AN IMPOSTER MASQUERADING AS ME dancer
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 8:20 pm

rjrules71 wrote:

Ammy
    whilst I don't doubt that it would have been the highlight of your day, I was the other end of the A52 on a birthday celebration.  Whistle

#IS THERE IS AN IMPOSTER MASQUERADING AS ME dancer [/quote]

In that case I am confused. He introduced himself as rj (or was it RJ) from the forum and knew I was MadAmster. I took it for granted that it was you. Must have been the other RJ from the old SheepShagArmy forum of all those years ago.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5438
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 9:11 pm

MadAmster wrote:

I completely agree.

Its no coincidence that Keogh also looked less worrying when partnered with Shackell rather than any of his other co-centre halves. He doesn't have to worry about Davies - he knows where he will be (usually in the right position).

valakari

Post by valakari on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 9:55 pm

Yes defensively Davies does a decent job. We fall down though when we have the ball. Burton put a man on Keogh to limit him coming out with the ball...leaving Davies free..the problem is, Davies looks so uncomfortable with the ball we can't build. Also his outlet invariably was Ledley..who slows everything down. When we play at home I think we should have Huddlestone at the back and just play 1 holding midfielder (Thorne)...and have an extra attacking midfielder (Johnson) or an extra striker (Nugent)... and play either 4141 or 4132
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 7:38 am

Which brings us back to Brian Clough who always picked a player for what he could do rather than what he couldn't do. At the moment Davies is our 2nd best CH and deserves his place because he is such a good defender. When he gets the ball he should be instructed to give it to a teammate who is better on the ball than he is asap.

I think we have, in the distant past, been spoilt. Ball playing defenders going back to the days of Roy Mac, Toddy, Igor, Mark Wright........ even some of our less successful CHs who never played many 1st team games like Lewin Nyatanga were good on the ball.

We should have taken Mac and Todd's DNA so that we could clone them ;)
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3770
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 8:51 am

MadAmster wrote:

I was hoping we'd got something like that when we signed Andy Todd. We obviously needed the Roy Mac DNA as well.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 9:48 am

bramhallram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

I was hoping we'd got something like that when we signed Andy Todd. We obviously needed the Roy Mac DNA as well.

Problem with Andy was that his DNA was watered down instead of being cloned.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Jan 2018, 11:34 pm