RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15927
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Barnsley 0-3 Derby reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sat 09 Dec 2017, 5:03 pm

Derby made two changes to the team that beat Burton last Saturday with
    Forsyth and Huddlestone replacing Olsson and Thorne.
        Carson
        Baird Keogh Davies Forsyth
        Huddlestone Ledley
        Weimann Vydra Lawrence
        Martin
    subs: Mitchell Wisdom Thorne Russell Johnson Nugent Winnall

Of the team who managed to lose after getting a two-goal lead in the EFL Cup,
    Martin and Forsyth start, while Russell, Thorne and Lawrence are on the bench.
    Only Bradshaw of Barnsley's three scorers that day starts but Hamill is a sub.

Barnsley made a very lively start and Derby struggled to contain their pace until
    Lawrence beat his full back and crossed for Martin. Derby's hopeful long balls did
    not trouble the home defence. The Rams stepped up their efforts after 15 minutes
    and made their first good passing move. On 17 minutes the first shot of the game
    by Vydra was deflected for the first corner of the game. It led to a good cross by
    Baird, which Martin headed over the bar. Carson pushed a curling shot by Thiam
    round the post for a corner.

From the half hour mark, the teams took turns to mount attacks but neither side
    found quality passes to penetrate in the final third. Thiam was too quick for Keogh
    but none of the Barnsley players could reach his cross. On 39 minutes, Weimann
    made a fast run and delivered a great cross for Lawrence. Lawrence's shot was too
    powerful for the keeper to save. Another good run and clinical pass by Weimann
    set up Vydra to double the lead on 44 minutes. A late flurry of attacks by Barnsley
    kept Derby's defence busy until the ball was finally cleared by Weimann.
    HT Barnsley 0-2 Derby

Lawrence, who was injured by a tackle just before half time, was replaced by Russell
    for the second half. A fine pass by Vydra gave Russell a good chance but he scuffed
    his shot. Derby started slowly and their passing was sloppy like the start of the first
    half. Thiam laid a ball off to Potts, who clipped the top of the bar with a fierce shot.
    Barnsley were encouraged by this and they had more shots and corners, which Keogh,
    Forsyth and Carson defended well. The Rams' few attacking efforts were mostly
    scrappy and easy for the home defence to stop.

Forsyth had a splendid chance, but he missed. Johnson replaced Vydra on 72 minutes.
    Carson had to make a brilliant save from five yards when Moncur burst through the
    Derby defence. Johnson set up Weimann for his first goal of the season, a volley from
    20 yards, on 78 minutes. A minute later Winnall replaced Martin and he headed over
    the bar from a Baird cross. Barnsley tried hard to the end but they were poor.
    FT Barnsley 0-3 Derby

The win lifts Derby to 4th place, overtaking Sheffield United (6th), who lost to Bristol
    City (3rd) on Friday night, and Villa (5th) who were held to a draw by Millwall.
    Wolves (1st) drew with ten-man Sunderland. Cardiff (2nd) play at Reading on Monday.

mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Re: Barnsley 0-3 Derby reports and comments

Post by mcsilks on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 12:15 am

Another scratchy performance full of effort with very little quality but most importantly, 3 points. I thought the result flattered Derby however, and Barnsley were a match for the Rams in the first half and had the better of the second half. To say we have ridden our luck this season is something of an understatement and while we usually use the term 'false position' to refer to a team being lower than what they are, I would apply this term to this current side who continue to produce results on the back of wholly uninspiring performances.

Some have compared this side to the one that Billy took up. I wouldn't agree there as his side played the same rather dour brand of football but they didn't tend to give away the kind of opportunities that this current side is presenting to teams. Barnsley had more shots on target than we did but didn't score, we had 3 shots on target in the whole game and scored with all 3.

It has to be said though that this league is there for the taking if the likes this current group of players can be reaching the dizzy heights of 4th place.

A mention must go to Weimann who did very well and was always an outlet, as he has been in the last few games. All I read on here was disparaging remarks about this player and he is hopefully starting to turn opinion around.

Martin had a decent game but needs a goal. There were a couple of times in the game when he was clearly looking for Vydra when a confident Martin would go for goal himself. I would continue to start with him.

For the Villa game, I would leave out Hudds and Ledley and start with Thorne. I realise that GR lacks a little bit of the strength required to change a winning team, but hopefully he has learned his lessons and must realise that we do not require a player such as Ledley when playing at home.

As a side not regarding Rams TV. If anyone from the club is reading this, please could you gag your main commentator. It's bad enough at times watching this current side without having to listen to inane comment and incessant rambling throughout the entire 90 minutes. Just commentate on the game.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14026
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 9:11 am

Something I could have written Mcsilks. 2 defeats in 14 but only played well in 2 of those games. Weimann, great in pre season and the opening 3 games of the season. he then went off the boil, was dropped and, when he got the chance, came back with a bang which is still resounding. When he is good, he is very good and when he is bad he is awful. Long may he remain very good.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11270
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 9:14 am

Give me a season of 'lucky' 3-0 wins over the last ten of unlucky defeats.

It's hard for me to understand anybody complaining about having good luck when we have been on a run of only two defeats in 13 games. It may not be attractive to watch but it's an effective way to play in this division, and we are seeing that in the results.

Over the last few years we have become a wierd bunch of fans who find it hard to enjoy winning, prefering instead to claim that we are actually no good and don't deserve success. Well in my opinion we've had enough things go against us that we should cherish any small morsel of success that comes our way, not try excuse it.

Theres no such thing as a lucky 3-0 win, and I for one think that it's a great win and all credit to the players and the manager for becoming hard to beat, something that those who are now decrying the way we play, almost certainly cried out for when our beautiful football lightweights used to get rolled over so easily by teams like the one we have become.
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3770
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 9:29 am

mcsilks wrote:
    Another scratchy performance full of effort with very little quality but most importantly, 3 points.

I think I could just about cope with a season of scratchy performances if they each yield three points. In fact I believe I could force down a glass or two of champagne if we win promotion playing like that.

We've tried the pretty stuff and look where it got us. Let's see what ruthless pragmatism will do.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 9:51 am

My preference would be a solid defensive performance interspersed with the odd rapier like attack we got used to under SM.

The one should not rule out the other.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4599
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 10:10 am

MadAmster wrote:My preference would be a solid defensive performance interspersed with the odd rapier like attack we got used to under SM.

I think that would be the preference of all the teams in the football pyramid 'Ammy.....
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 11:04 am

SawleyRam wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:My preference would be a solid defensive performance interspersed with the odd rapier like attack we got used to under SM.

I think that would be the preference of all the teams in the football pyramid 'Ammy.....

Must be a good idea then Sawls Wink
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 12:29 pm

Just watched the highlights.

Penalty shout at 0-0. That's a 50/50 one. Half the refs would say no due to the Barnsley player being so close...... the other half would say he controlled it with his arm. This one decided not to give it. No great argument from me.

3 good goals from DCFC. The 2nd, Weimann runs on to the ball, Martin moves to the near post pulling the defender away from the centre leaving a huge space there, Weimann finds Vydra who gratefully utilises the empty space to slot it away.

Really pleased Weimann got his goal. Hopefully he can relax a bit now and get even better.

Villa next at home and we will be expected to make the play......... against another parked bus. Bore draw.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5438
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 1:00 pm

Its the blend of six defenders and four attackers, very similar to NC's Kuqi/Commons/Bueno/Cywka combination, which seems to work well in this division.

There is also licence for one of the six to occasionally"go", but always covered by Ledley/Hudds and hoipefully in time GT.

Its working a treat.
    norfolkram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2014-11-19

Post by norfolkram on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 1:19 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Give me a season of 'lucky' 3-0 wins over the last ten of unlucky defeats.

It's hard for me to understand anybody complaining about having good luck when we have been on a run of only two defeats in 13 games. It may not be attractive to watch but it's an effective way to play in this division, and we are seeing that in the results.

Over the last few years we have become a wierd bunch of fans who find it hard to enjoy winning, prefering instead to claim that we are actually no good and don't deserve success. Well in my opinion we've had enough things go against us that we should cherish any small morsel of success that comes our way, not try excuse it.

Theres no such thing as a lucky 3-0 win, and I for one think that it's a great win and all credit to the players and the manager for becoming hard to beat, something that those who are now decrying the way we play, almost certainly cried out for when our beautiful football lightweights used to get rolled over so easily by teams like the one we have become.

The way some eulogise about the first Mcclaren team anyone would think they were successful,fooballs about winning just ask mourhino.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 894
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 8:54 pm

Couldn't go to this one, but watched the goals. The second was a beauty!

My first thought when I saw the teams was "Where is George Thorne?" He gave us what we had been lacking in the middle of the park in the last match, and made an impact when coming on as a sub. i can only assume Rowett is either (a) saving him for the Villa match where his influence is going to be needed more, or (b) Huddlestone is his love child, and will get picked almost at will.

So, was Huddlestone any better than in his last few appearances, and has the break done him some good?
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1536
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 10:33 pm

I hope Thorne plays v Villa instead of Ledley!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Jan 2018, 11:34 pm