Post by RRC on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 5:12 pm

Derby started with a changed lineup to face Birmingham with Davies,
    Forsyth and Vydra replacing Pearce, Olsson and Weimann --
         : Carson
         : Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth
         : Huddlestone Thorne
         : Russell Vydra Lawrence
         : Winnall
    Birmingham were unchanged for the third game in a row.

Birmingham attacked strongly from the start, but Vydra and Lawrence countered, and
    Huddlestone had the first shot from a loose ball but it was wide. Grounds penetrated
    Derby’s defence, but he hit the post with only Carson to beat, and Gallagher took too
    long to shoot after beating Keogh. As so often the Rams defenders allowed themselves
    to be pushed too deep and some of the Rams passing was sloppy. Keogh found Russell
    in acres of space, he beat a defender, feigned to pass and scored on 19 minutes with a
    cross (or deflected shot).

Birmingham counter-attacked with plenty of energy, but Davies was strong in defence,
    and Carson made a splendid save. A fine Forsyth pass found Winnall who set up Russell
    for a tap in, but he blasted the ball high into the stand. Davies headed on a Huddlestone
    free kick to Vydra but his shot clipped the crossbar. Vydra made a chance for Lawrence
    but his shot was saved easily by the Birmingham keeper. Wisdom, who had contributed a
    lot in attack, back-tracked to make a crucial tackle on the speedy Boga. The half ended
    with Derby having more possession and Birmingham becoming ragged and relying too
    much on hopeful long balls.
    HT Birmingham 0-1 Derby

The start of the second half was the opposite of the first with Derby more positive and
    energetic than Birmingham. A skilful run by Lawrence ended with him lobbing the ball to
    Vydra who tried an overhead kick. The threat of Vydra’s pace won a free kick but Lawrence’s
    shot didn’t stretch the keeper. The hard-working Vydra added a superb second goal, his 16th
    of the season, when he gambled on a fine long ball from Lawrence and spanked his shot into
    the roof of the net on 56 minutes. Russell had a shot which drew a great save from the
    keeper and an excellent Winnall strike was deflected for a corner.

After that strong spell by Derby, Birmingham came into the game more, helped by Russell
    and Winnall giving the ball away in dangerous areas. Winnall and was replaced by Nugent
    on 69 minutes and Weimann replaced Lawrence on 78 minutes. Davies and Keogh defended
    well but they had to concede several corners and Gallagher wasted a free header from one
    of them. Vydra had taken a heavy knock earlier and he was limping badly when Martin
    replaced him on 87 minutes. Huddlestone’s left footed shot was well saved but Weimann
    made no mistake with the tap in laid on for him by Nugent on 89 minutes.
    FT Birmingham 0–3 Derby

The league leaders Wolves (62 points) played out a goalless draw at Barnsley. Derby’s win
    keeps them in second place with 52 points, two points ahead of third-placed Cardiff, who
    beat Sunderland 4-0 at lunchtime. Bristol City (4th with 47 points) lost to Norwich at Ashton
    Gate. Villa (5th with 44 points) play at Forest at tea-time. Sheffield United (6th), who drew
    with Sheffield Wednesday on Friday,  and Leeds (7th), who lost at Ipswich, are on 43 points,
    a point ahead of Fulham (8th), who moved up by winning at Boro (9th).

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11351
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Re: Birmingham 0-3 Derby reports and comments

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 5:40 pm

Another lucky win!

Keeping all of those clean sheets and scoring all of those goals, I hope our luck doesn't run out any time soon.

chicken
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14605
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 5:43 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Another lucky win!

Keeping all of those clean sheets and scoring all of those goals, I hope our luck doesn't run out any time soon.

Why were we lucky?
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11351
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 6:06 pm

Just being sarcastic
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5484
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 6:41 pm

Nicked off MA, but who cares? Stuffed 'em.

"Thank you very much for Gary Rowett, thank you very much, thank you very very very much...."

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6308
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 8:10 pm

Thank f#ck for that. We're finally safe from relegation Party
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14135

Post by MadAmster on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 8:18 pm

I have to say it was very PSV. Organised, clinical and business-like. They had 52% possession, 14 shots to our 12 but only 2 on target to our 7. Another clean sheet.

Do we have to thank Kevin Philips a lot for where we are now? Large & of shots on target, more on target than others....... wreaks of a successful striking coach.
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4357
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 9:34 pm

We have improved a lot since signing up the goal post, some important stops again today Stirring the pot

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14605
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 10:56 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Just being sarcastic

LOL roll
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3789
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 11:37 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    Do we have to thank Kevin Philips a lot for where we are now? Large & of shots on target, more on target than others....... wreaks of a successful striking coach.

I'm sure he must be having an influence. Vydra took his goal today like a very confident striker who expects to score.

Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 712
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 11:49 pm

He also tried a spectacular bicycle kick like an inform striker who expects to score, which was funny because he came much closer to cracking the defender's head open.
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 12:28 am

Another away win with our rather dour if not effective counter attacking style. We also had our fair share again of luck with our good friend the post coming to our rescue on a couple of occasions.

The scoreline flattered us somewhat however as Birmingham, particularly in the first half, gave as good as they got.

We didn't have any standout performers. Everybody gave a 7 out of 10 performance and we took our chances when they came.

There were some glimpses, if all a little too fleeting, that we are actually capable of stringing a few passes together which, along with the result, is encouraging.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4664
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 12:28 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:Just being sarcastic

That was as smooth as (Mc) Silks Loughie...............
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 12:30 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:Another lucky win!

LOL roll
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 712
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 12:49 am

Now only Wolves have scored more, conceded fewer, and lost fewer; after Wolves, only Cardiff have won as many and none has won more.

Brian Clough always said that the league table never lie. Right now it says that we're the second best team in the division however you dice it.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5484
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 3:21 am

mcsilks wrote:Another away win with our rather dour if not effective counter attacking style. We also had our fair share again of luck with our good friend the post coming to our rescue on a couple of occasions.

The scoreline flattered us somewhat however as Birmingham, particularly in the first half, gave as good as they got.

We didn't have any standout performers. Everybody gave a 7 out of 10 performance and we took our chances when they came.

There were some glimpses, if all a little too fleeting, that we are actually capable of stringing a few passes together which, along with the result, is encouraging.

Fans see things in a number of ways. I expect that you went today, mcsilks.

If you watch the 3 mins 40 seconds of the Championship highlights, you may well think that 3-0 was a rather absurd result.

I didn't go today. I had to move my youngest's belongings from his comfortable first floor bedroom to the more spacious loft area, previouisly inhabited by his big brother, until he bought his own house, last March.

No matter. I have attended a number of away games this term, and watched the "highlights", as well as soaking up the "actual" play.

In most of the games I have seen, we have looked more dangerous, and more likely to score on the break, than the Home Team.

Today was, I expect, no exception.

84 minutes of quality defending against the second(spits) best team in the land indicates that it was no fluke.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 8:05 am

A shot every 7 and a half minutes. A shot on target every 12 and a half minutes. That was "defensive Derby".

A shot every 7 minutes. A shot on target every 45 minutes. That was the Bluenoses.

A couple of passages of passing play of around the 20 passes leading to a shot or a cross. A couple of bam-bam-bam passing moves that were reminiscent of the successful Schtevie Mac period. Resolute defending which left one with the impression that, just like the hoime game against Villa, they had the ball but we had the control. Two saves by Carson and a postal intervention was the sum of Brum's efforts. Four saves by their keeper and 3 goals was the sum of Derby's efforts.

They had the ball for 46 minutes and 48 seconds, we had it 43 and 12. As several songs have intimated in the past, it's not what you've got but what you do with it that counts. We appear to have this effective football lark well and truly nailed.

The fan in me wants to see more expansive football. The coach in me is in awe at how GR has the team set up, how they, without exception, work for each other, how they control the game even when not in possession, how there is never panic, not even from the skipper. There seems to be a belief that it will all work out in the end..... and it tends to.

The coach in me also thinks that, once the pressure is off and we are up, we might just see the side giving us the expansive football the fan in me wants.

After a nervy start to the season, I am noe enjoying the ride, whichever of the 2 hats I happen to be wearing.

I have a 3rd hat. A ref's hat. My verdict on the ref (Probert?) was that he was one of the better ones we have had this season. Mistakes? Only a couple and nothing serious that I can recall. The 2 standout ones for me were a quick free kick they took from abour 35 yards out, lobbed into the area, one of theirs went after it and couldn't control it and he let them take it again. IMO he blew very late on it. If he didn't want it taken that quickly he should have blown earlier. The 2nd was an offside decision aganst Winnall. Most definitely offside, however, he allowed Brum to take the free kick about 8 or 9 yards inside Derby's half. Offside in your own half? When did that rule change? Even his mistakes weren't huge affairs.
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 8:52 am

Stockport Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:Another away win with our rather dour if not effective counter attacking style. We also had our fair share again of luck with our good friend the post coming to our rescue on a couple of occasions.

Fans see things in a number of ways. I expect that you went today, mcsilks.

If you watch the 3 mins 40 seconds of the Championship highlights, you may well think that 3-0 was a rather absurd result.

I didn't go today. I had to  move my youngest's belongings from his comfortable first floor bedroom to the more spacious loft area, previouisly inhabited by his big brother, until he bought his own house, last March.

No matter.  I have attended a number of away games this term, and watched the "highlights", as well as soaking up the "actual" play.

In most of the games I have seen, we have looked more dangerous, and more likely to score on the break, than the Home Team.

Today was, I expect, no exception.

84 minutes of quality defending against the second(spits) best team in the land indicates that  it was no fluke.

I wish I could go. It would be a bit of a travel from my home in Japan. No, I watched the game live online as I do every week.

At no stage did I suggest it was a fluke. I did however say that 3-0 flattered us. We were steady, if unspectacular and indeed looked the more threatening without carving our opposition apart and creating many chances.

I thought we deserved the 3 points.....and a scoreline of 1-0 would have summed the game up about right. They hit the post twice and our first goal was, as the BBC also said, against the run of play.

What won us this game, aside from our organisation, was our work rate and our incredible ability to take our chances. Evert time they had the ball we were in their faces.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 9:52 am

They started well. Pressing us every time we had the ball. After the goal it was less so. 2nd half they seemed to accept they were going to lose.

Yes, they hit the post twice. However, Vydra hit the top of the bar with the sort of audacious attempt that only a top striker at the top of his game and confidence would even see, never mind attempt.

I have had an increasing admiration for both the squad and the staff throughout the season. Much is made of the size of the squad and GR seems to be rotating players and they are accepting it. What hit me the most in this game was Winnall's substitution. He went off with a smile on his face. No impetuance but an aura of "job well done, time for Nuge to get some minutes", pretty similar to the Ipswich game when, at HT, Nuge walked to the dressing room with his arm round Winnall. Was he giving him advice, tips or just having a laugh? I don't know but they seem to have a rapport despite each of them "costing" the other game time.

That is the sort of "we" that gets promoted..... there, I've used the word. This patient, business-like squad seem to have "promotion" written all over it at the moment.

The New Year dip? Might we have had our dip at the start of the season rather than later on in it? That would be sweet and not impossible with this squad. 10 points difference (7 when we win at theirs Wink) and not impossible to bridge but honesty demands that I add that we probably won't win the League.

We will still draw a few and have the odd loss but a dip over half a dozen games on the trot? I don't see it.

Confident? Yes, because of so many reasons. Let's all bounce :)
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 11:18 am

MadAmster wrote:They started well. Pressing us every time we had the ball. After the goal it was less so. 2nd half they seemed to accept they were going to lose.

Yes, they hit the post twice. However, Vydra hit the top of the bar with the sort of audacious attempt that only a top striker at the top of his game and confidence would even see, never mind attempt.

I have had an increasing admiration for both the squad and the staff throughout the season. Much is made of the size of the squad and GR seems to be rotating players and they are accepting it. What hit me the most in this game was Winnall's substitution. He went off with a smile on his face. No impetuance but an aura of "job well done, time for Nuge to get some minutes", pretty similar to the Ipswich game when, at HT, Nuge walked to the dressing room with his arm round Winnall. Was he giving him advice, tips or just having a laugh? I don't know but they seem to have a rapport despite each of them "costing" the other game time.

That is the sort of "we" that gets promoted..... there, I've used the word. This patient, business-like squad seem to have "promotion" written all over it at the moment.

The New Year dip? Might we have had our dip at the start of the season rather than later on in it? That would be sweet and not impossible with this squad. 10 points difference (7 when we win at theirs Wink) and not impossible to bridge but honesty demands that I add that we probably won't win the League.

We will still draw a few and have the odd loss but a dip over half a dozen games on the trot? I don't see it.

Feel much the same way. I was a little sceptical that we would be able to continue this remarkable run of form after Christmas but we seem to have found that mysterious way of winning games even when not dominating them. Every time the ball falls to our strikers in the final third we expect the ball to hit the back of the net. When was the last time we could say that? We have the steel of a Billy Davies team and the clinicalness of a Stevie Mac team when attacking. Put those two things together and we have a very potent mix. Starting to get excited now about the very real prospect of us going up!  Fingers crossed
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 907
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 2:23 pm

MadAmster wrote:They started well. Pressing us every time we had the ball. After the goal it was less so. 2nd half they seemed to accept they were going to lose.

The second of two excellent posts. Thanks, Mr Ammy! Thumbs up
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 3:39 pm

DavesaRam wrote:

Praise indeed from one whose match reports are always very much looked forward to. Thanks Dave.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 907
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 8:07 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    DavesaRam wrote:

Praise indeed from one whose match reports are always very much looked forward to. Thanks Dave.

Can't oblige this time - I agreed to a trip to Morrisons supermarket just after lunch, so I could get on the radio for kick-off time, but forgot "the woman factor" - waiting by the front door, listening to the strains of "What are you worried about, we're not even late yet"! I should have known, I get "womaned" for everything - going out somewhere, a lift to the match, going to church, visiting friends! So I heard the last 10 minutes of the first half, and the whole of the second half on Radio Derby, so I don't feel qualified to comment!

I was interested by your comments about Lee Probert - his last match was the home game against Villa, and the stuff by Villa he let go while blowing up if we merely stepped on their shadow was very frustrating, even though the Rams took it all in their stride!
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 12:34 pm

3rd goal Dave. Super Subs. The ball went to Coldplay who flicked it on to Nuge who ran into the box and gave Weimann an unmissable chance and he didn't.

Can anyone remember a goal from any team where the sequence of play was sub 1 to sub 2 to sub 3 and in? I can't

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 19 Feb 2018, 11:46 am