Derby 0-0 Bristol City reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15958
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 0-0 Bristol City reports and comments

Post by RRC on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 9:42 pm

Derby made one change to the team that beat Birmingham with Nugent replacing
    Winnall, while new signing Jerome replaced Martin on the bench.

: Carson
         : Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth
         : Huddlestone Thorne
         : Russell Vydra Lawrence
         : Nugent
         : subs: Mitchell Baird Pearce Hanson Weimann Winnall Jerome

After a few minutes when both sides were patiently probing the opposition, Bristol
    City began to dominate possession because their movement was a bit quicker and
    their passing more accurate. Carson had one comfortable save, and Davies made
    an important block. Paterson and Russell wasted their team’s best early chances,
    blasting their shots over the bar.

From the middle of the half, Derby began to attack more effectively and the game
    became more open. A Vydra free kick was pushed just wide by Fielding and Flint
    cleared off the line from the resulting corner. A fast break by Vydra and Lawrence
    led to another free kick and Fielding pushed Russell’s fierce shot on to the crossbar.
    There were more melées in the Bristol box from Rams attacks, corners and free
    kicks but the visitors’ defence managed to scramble the ball clear. The half ended
    with Derby looking more likely to score.
    HT Derby 0-0 Bristol City

Bristol had to replace their injured keeper with Steele at half time and they also
    brought on a fresh striker, Diedhiou. Both teams had shots saved in the first few
    minutes, with Bristol attacking more than Derby as they did at the start of the first
    half. The Rams were pushed back and struggled to mount any threatening attacks
    against a disciplined Bristol defence until Russell crossed to Lawrence and Steele
    made a fine save. Nugent set up Vydra for a shot but Steele made an even better
    save, and Russell blasted another chance wildly high and wide.

Weimann, Winnall and Jerome replaced Lawrence, Nugent and Vydra on 75 minutes.
    Bristol continued to attack but the Derby defence kept them out. Weimann laid on a
    fine chance for Winnall but he didn’t reach it. Instead of a penalty, Jerome was given
    a yellow card for simulation, when he was clearly tripped in the Bristol box. In the last
    few minutes, the attacks were end to end but they still yielded no goals. A draw was
    probably a fair result with neither attack showing much quality in the final third
    FT Derby 0–0 Bristol City

Last edited by RRC on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2632
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Re: Derby 0-0 Bristol City reports and comments

Post by Calif_Ramette on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 9:44 pm

OMG if I could have reached through the TV and slapped the shit out of the ref I would have. Stone cold penalty.
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 9:53 pm

A good performance this from Derby who had much the better of particularly the second half.

Jerome was fouled in the box and should have had a penalty but I can understand why the referee didn't give it. Jerome went down as if he had been shot in an attempt to try and make the contact appear much worse. Why he felt the need to do that is anybodies guess but it cost us the decision. Aside from that, I thought the game was well reffed.

The only thing lacking from our game was the quality in the final third. Lawrence had one of his better games in a Derby shirt and was unlucky to be denied by an excellent save from their sub keeper.

Huddlestone was good with his passing game but our man of the match was Russell. Granted he was sloppy once or twice giving the ball away, but his direct running created them problems and most of our opportunities were created through his work.

Our only negative was on our left side of defence and Forsyth. He just isn't a very good defender and he isn't getting forward with the conviction and quality that he was prior to his injury.

Bristol City are a good side and always looked dangerous on the break. A point is a decent result but I can't help feeling that this is an opportunity missed.

Well played the Rams today. One of our better performances this season.

Last edited by mcsilks on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14135
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 9:57 pm

Started both halves slowly and grew into the side with the upper hand. They had 2 shots on target but never really looked dangerous. We had 6 and on another day would have had a couple but it wasn't to be today.

The "penalty"? Contact alone is not enough to warrant a free kick or a penalty. There WAS contact but there was nothing in that contact that should have taken Jerome down, never mind in a Tom Daleyesque manner. Yellow card was absolutely right IMO.

Professional players need to learn to stay upright whenever possible rather than to fall over if someone breathes on them.

Overall I felt the ref had a reasonable game but missed quite a few fouls. Most of his errors were in Brizzle's favour.
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2385
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 10:03 pm

mcsilks wrote:A good performance this from Derby who had much the better of particularly the second half.

Jerome was fouled in the box and should have had a penalty but I can understand why the referee didn't give it. Jerome went down as if he had been shot in an attempt to try and make the contact appear much worse. Why he felt the need to do that is anybodies guess but it cost us the decision. Aside from that, I thought the game was well reffed.

The only thing lacking from our game was the quality in the final third. Lawrence had one of his better games in a Derby shirt and was unlucky to be denied by an excellent save from their sub keeper.

Huddlestone was good with his passing game but our man of the match was Russell. Granted he was sloppy once or twice giving the ball away, but his direct running created them problems and most of our opportunities were created through his work.

Our only negative was on our left side of defence and Forsyth. He just isn't a very good defender and he isn't getting forward with the conviction and quality that he was prior to his injury.

Bristol City are a good side and always looked dangerous on the break. A point is a decent result but I can't help feeling that this is an opportunity missed.

Russell’s display is the reason why we need to move on from him, his direct running was all good and a decent free kick via the bar, but his final ball was awful, too many sloppy final balls and touches, if he could iron them out he’d be a cracking player, but that’s why he’s in the championship
    Forsyth agree was terrible and again baffles the contract extension
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 10:41 pm

Some great stuff indeed from JR tonight but all too often got and lost the ball in tight situations.

Again Vydra proved he needs the ball in front of him or he fails to get it under control. Having said that, at 20 goals a season, if he keeps it up, this one fault is permissible.

On a couple of occasions when JR was on a good, mazy run, he lost control simply because he wouldn't use his right foot...... can and should do better.
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4357
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 10:57 pm

We have improved in GR's short tenure beyond any expectations here.

Brizzle are genuine contenders who made Citeh sweat hard for a result, and we matched them and were unlucky not to get the goal that would have decided this.

A few short months ago we would have lost this, but the thing in our favour tonight was not losing, and a point is very nice thank you.

Not gonna have a go at any single player, as they were all 7.5 for me, what we dont have is the player who can make a difference, Lawro and JR tried, but they will need to create more for that BIG chance that matters.
    Jerome won't endear himself to Derby fan by cheating. Contact is one thing, but if I am honest a big lad like that should be able to stand a challenge and keep going.

I was overall happy with a draw, the odds were it would be one, so we move on.

Millwall away on a cold Tuesday night in January ain't no cakewalk either, so lets hope a good 10 day rest puts us back on song.

ONWARDS happy

DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 907
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 12:40 am

mcsilks wrote:A good performance this from Derby who had much the better of particularly the second half.

I beg your pardon, McSilks?

The ref had an an absolutely awful game, right from the very start. He even made the ref for the Manchester United match look like he was biased towards the Rams! Within the first 5 minutes, Thorne, Russell and Vydra were all heavily clattered, but with only one free-kick to show for it. There were several very cynical fouls, yielding only one yellow, when there could have been two or three others, including a red for a second yellow, such was there cynicism. But when the ref effectively says "stop that or I will frown at you", it is pretty much open season for whoever is getting the favour. The slightest of touches by a Derby player resulted in  free-kicks to Bristol, but there the even-handedness stopped. Tom Lawrence had a defender go right through him from behind, but no free-kick, and so it continued. He made two major errors over corners, giving goal kicks in both cases. The penalty incident - it wasn't just a bit of contact, the defender took Jeromes' leg away with contact to the ankle, a definite penalty. When he was manhandled and wrestled to the floor only a few minutes earlier was also a penalty, but at least he wasn't booked for simulation this time. There were also numerous offside decisions which were in error as well.

One of the outcomes of this terrible display was that the Rams, who, under Rowett don't go diving in for the tackle, became reticent to make any sort of challenge because it would inevitably lead to a free-kick. This allowed Bristol to play to their reputation as a nice, footballing side. They are that, but they are also very cynical and at times, quite dirty.

At the end of the first half, it could have been 1 - 1, or even 2 - 2, and the match was quite evenly balanced. The second half was like many second halves where we seemed to decide that we could play by remote from the changing rooms, and Bristol had the upper hand. We gradually picked things up, and had an extended spell where we were well on top, and the pressure was incessant, but the breakthrough never came.

Sadly, George Thorne, may favourite player, and maybe our best footballer, had a shocker, so "signed-contractitis" seemed to hit home. Rusell, as others have said, flattered to deceive, going on some great, threatening runs, but his decision making was poor and very slow. And although Bristol could have easily knicked it 1 - 0, we could have had 4, 5 or 6 goals in the second half. in reality the game had the potential for being a 0 - 0, and we started to snatch at our chances, with several shots ballooning over the bar.

This was a could have, should have type of match, but only a few months ago, we would have lost that one, and a point my well turn out to be a very good result. Its just a pity we were playing not against 14 players, but maybe against 15 or 16, the match officials were that bad.
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 712
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 1:01 am

If Jerome had tried to run through the tackle instead of flopping it would have looked much more like a foul and would have been given. The two point blank saves in the second half by their back-up, Steele, and the tip onto the bar by Fielding in the first half were frustrating, but our players couldn't be faulted. Vydra did the right thing on his chance--blast it hard and low straight at the goal, and Lawrence could hardly have turned on a sixpence more effectively for the other chance.

We played the better football, though were far from flawless. Bristol, too, had chances to snatch it. We have won some points this season we scarcely deserved, and here we've arguably lost a couple we might have easily bagged. So it goes.

We'll still be second tomorrow no matter the other results. Hard to feel too bad about that.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1589
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 1:17 am

I thought a decent performance let down by some average finishing and a piss poor ref..again!!! I'd bet Chris Martin would have scored a couple tonight..shame MR Rowett thinks NOT!!!
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 1:55 am

DavesaRam wrote:

The ref had an an absolutely awful game, right from the very start. He even made the ref for the Manchester United match look like he was biased towards the Rams! Within the first 5 minutes, Thorne, Russell and Vydra were all heavily clattered, but with only one free-kick to show for it. There were several very cynical fouls, yielding only one yellow, when there could have been two or three others, including a red for a second yellow, such was there cynicism. But when the ref effectively says "stop that or I will frown at you", it is pretty much open season for whoever is getting the favour. The slightest of touches by a Derby player resulted in  free-kicks to Bristol, but there the even-handedness stopped. Tom Lawrence had a defender go right through him from behind, but no free-kick, and so it continued. He made two major errors over corners, giving goal kicks in both cases. The penalty incident - it wasn't just a bit of contact, the defender took Jeromes' leg away with contact to the ankle, a definite penalty. When he was manhandled and wrestled to the floor only a few minutes earlier was also a penalty, but at least he wasn't booked for simulation this time. There were also numerous offside decisions which were in error as well.

One of the outcomes of this terrible display was that the Rams, who, under Rowett don't go diving in for the tackle, became reticent to make any sort of challenge because it would inevitably lead to a free-kick. This allowed Bristol to play to their reputation as a nice, footballing side. They are that, but they are also very cynical and at times, quite dirty.

At the end of the first half, it could have been 1 - 1, or even 2 - 2, and the match was quite evenly balanced. The second half was like many second halves where we seemed to decide that we could play by remote from the changing rooms, and Bristol had the upper hand. We gradually picked things up, and had an extended spell where we were well on top, and the pressure was incessant, but the breakthrough never came.

Sadly, George Thorne, may favourite player, and maybe our best footballer, had a shocker, so "signed-contractitis" seemed to hit home. Rusell, as others have said, flattered to deceive, going on some great, threatening runs, but his decision making was poor and very slow. And although Bristol could have easily knicked it 1 - 0, we could have had 4, 5 or 6 goals in the second half. in reality the game had the potential for being a 0 - 0, and we started to snatch at our chances, with several shots ballooning over the bar.

This was a could have, should have type of match, but only a few months ago, we would have lost that one, and a point my well turn out to be a very good result. Its just a pity we were playing not against 14 players, but maybe against 15 or 16, the match officials were that bad.

He let some tackles go. I applaud that. I liked the way he reffed this game and wish all refs would take a leaf out of his book and not blown their darn whistles every time somebody breathes on another player.

He wasn't biased in the slightest. You're clearly judging him with your black and white colours on.

And I was in total agreement with him for the non issue of a penalty. If Jerome hadn't tried to con the referee, I think we would have had the penalty.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5484
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 4:40 am

mcsilks wrote:
    DavesaRam wrote:

He let some tackles go. I applaud that. I liked the way he reffed this game and wish all refs would take a leaf out of his book and not blown their darn whistles every time somebody breathes on another player.

He wasn't biased in the slightest. You're clearly judging him with your black and white colours on.

And I was in total agreement with him for the non issue of a penalty. If Jerome hadn't tried to con the referee, I think we would have had the penalty.

Agreed.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:57 am

Plea to all "professional" footballers. Please, please, pretty please learn to stay on your feet! Only go down when you can't stay up.

So many of you in the past have conned refs that they refuse to be conned any more and dying swan impressions will see you get a yellow card.

I have no doubt that, if VAR had been used last night, the penalty would have been given. Wrongly so IMO. As I have written in other posts, players need to learn that contact alone is NOT enough. Unfortunately they think it is.
    Mucker1884

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10275
    Registration date : 2009-07-22

Post by Mucker1884 on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 8:29 am

Attacker flicks ball to side, defender misses any contact with ball, and his "tackling foot" ends up on top of the leading foot of the attacker, thus stopping attacker from advancing. FOUL!
    Any reaction from the attacker from that point on should either be irrelevant or he should be booked for ungentlemanly conduct... but the foul should still be given, because the foul was committed first.
    Had CJ reacted differently... say jumped up and landed a punch on the defenders nose, he would have been red carded... and someone else would have taken our penalty.

I don't deny, from my seat in the NE corner, the yellow card didn't shock me... but on seeing the replays from the same distance (if not the same angles) as the ref's view, I was more than a little shocked. The ref got it wrong... embarrassingly so!
    I wouldn't say that cost us the game, as the ref wasn't the only one who didn't perform very well... we should have been at least 2 up by that stage, and this decision should not have mattered.

Overall, this style of play is generally having an effect on me (last nights frustration not withstanding.
    Of course I loved watching us in our PO Final season, as the football was sublime, but I'm now enjoying watching us again. I enjoyed last nights game. I like the methodology of it. I like how strong we are at the back. At no stage last night did I think "Oh, here we go again... dominate a game then lose to a late goal"! The confidence I feel in our back line is almost scary!
    I enjoyed coming away from the game feeling the excitement again. The confident nerves. I like the fact that football matters to me again, instead of singing "Ho Hum" all the way home.
    I like this team. I like this Manager. And I love DCFC.
    ...And I honestly believe we have what it takes to hang on this time, and take the 2nd promotion spot.
    Last nights failings in front of goal won't happen too many more times this season, I'd wager.

Onwards and upwards.

COYR
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:42 am

Indeed Muckadjee, we won't win em all but we will lose very few.

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4664
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:51 am

Stockport Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    DavesaRam wrote:

Agreed.

"If Jerome hadn't tried to con the referee, I think we would have had the penalty" means that you agree it was a penalty so what happens after is irrelevant, the foul has been still been committed.

mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 11:06 am

SawleyRam wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    DavesaRam wrote:

Agreed.

"If Jerome hadn't tried to con the referee, I think we would have had the penalty" means that you agree it was a penalty so what happens after is irrelevant, the foul has been still been committed.

No, the referee was in his rights to not award the penalty for the wrong doings in trying to con him.

Whether or not it was a penalty was not relevant because of the very clear dive, which broke a law of the game and was punished by not being given the penalty.

Good refereeing.
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 11:23 am

We had our chances last night to win the game handsomely, we didn't take them and that will happen sometimes, we are not Manchester City'

Unfortunately the one thing I will remember this game for was the total ineptness of Darren England, a referee who despite his experience ignored/obstructed/does not know the basic laws of the game.

Goal kicks when corners, offside when no interference from the offending players, not "seeing" penalties, allowing the game to be stopped because the Bristol players wanted to watch TV, full on wrestling in the penalty areas (both teams) and allowing himself to be conned all through the match. The most dire refereeing performance of recent seasons seen at Derby.

If the Video Assistant Referee had already been incorporated into the laws of the game it would have only have been used for the penalty non-decision allowing Mr England plenty of scope to get other things wrong.
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 11:32 am

mcsilks wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    DavesaRam wrote:

Agreed.

No, the referee was in his rights to not award the penalty for the wrong doings in trying to con him.

Whether or not it was a penalty was not relevant because of the very clear dive, which broke a law of the game and was punished by not being given the penalty.

Good refereeing.

So the laws now state that if someone gets dramatic the foul committed first can be ignored? I think not. Maybe, just maybe CJ could have still been booked for ungentlemanly conduct but the foul still stands.

We have a qualified Ref on this forum so we can ask him (shouts) 'Ammy!!!
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 609
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 6:05 pm

It wasn't a penno because Jerome dived after being tripped. It wasn't the trip that resulted in him diving up and down. If he had just gone 'with' the motion of the trip and fallen over it would have been a penno.

However the ref and officials were poor.

That said, it's surprising that someone as experienced as Jerome hasn't learned how to fall over when he gets tripped up in the box.

I thought that the previous incident (when he was pulled by their CH in their box) should also have been turned into a penno by Jerome. Again, it wasnt a penno because Jerome didn't allow himself to fall over 'with ' the pull to get it.

His failure to fall over the first time and his swan dive the second time were not the signs of an experienced striker. I reckon that Nuge would have got both pens.

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14605
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:35 pm

It seems people and, indeed, referees are looking at how players fall down now and not the actual foul. Maybe this explains why their number 7 was allowed to commit loads of fouls, we probably didn’t go to ground in the correct way!!

Definite penalty. Just because a player throws his hands in the air doesn’t make it any less of a foul. If anybody who has seen the replay of the foul and still insists it wasn’t a penalty, they seriously need their head testing!! You only had to look at Flint’s reaction and his face
    and also the reaction of George Thorne to know it was, never mind the actual foul.

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14605
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:36 pm

You cannot punish a player by ignoring a foul on him. You are therefore not punishing the player that commits the foul.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11351
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:44 pm

Aiden Flint said it should have been given, nuff said.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 8:32 pm

Sawls. Refs are supposed to deal with "incidents" in the order they occur. In this instance, there is the tackle and there is the result of that tackle.

It appears that the ref in this case "wasn't sure". The only way he could be unsure is if he didn't see it properly. If he had he probably would have given the penalty. What he did see was the dive. In this case, he has handled correctly. He didn't give the penalty which ought to mean he either didn't see it or he didn't see it properly or he saw it and didn't think that the contact was sufficient to bring Jerome down. I have yet to see the video back to see where he was and whether he had a good view of the incident so I will refrain from comment on the rights and wrongs of his not allowing the penalty for now. I also need to check where the assistant was to see if he should have seen it.

I have only seen it "real time" so far and Jerome did dive so very obviously that he was rightly given a yellow.

That deals with the incident so far. The other issue seems to be whether the referee could both give a penalty AND book the diver for exaggeration. The simple answer is yes. They are 2 separate offences. A foul (apparently not seen by the ref) and a dive. The ref can punish both offences.

It's a bit like a situation where a player commits a foul, ref gives the foul and the fouled player then hits the first player. The hitter will get a red card. In this case, Jerome could get a yellow for the dive and the penalty could have been given.

So, to sum up.....

To give a penalty he would have to have seen the contact and have judged it to be a foul and give it. If he did think it was a penalty he could have given it and still booked Jerome
    If he didn't see it or see it properly or didn't think there was sufficient contact to cause a fall he wouldn't give it and rightly so. he could and should still book Jerome.
    In both the above cases he could have
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 9:25 pm

Just watched the video......from the position the ref was in, it is my opinion that he should have seen exactly what happened and not be "not sure".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 19 Feb 2018, 11:47 am