Millwall 0-0 Derby reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16053
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Millwall 0-0 Derby reports and comments

Post by RRC on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 9:52 pm

Derby made one change to the team that drew with Bristol – Russell, expected to depart soon
    for the USA, was replaced by Weimann. Roos and Anya joined the bench.

: Carson
         : Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth
         : Huddlestone Thorne
         : Russell Vydra Lawrence
         : Nugent
         : subs: Roos Baird Pearce Hanson Anya Winnall Jerome

Derby made a more lively start than usual and they had most of the possession, but some of
    their passing and shooting was poor. They generally dealt well with Millwall’s attacks, though
    Carson had to make the first save of the match. Huddlestone and Thorne started some
    promising moves, and Weimann and Vydra forced good saves from the keeper. The Rams were
    lucky that the referee didn’t see a clear penalty when sloppy play put the defence in trouble and
    a dangerous high kick could have decapitated Gregory.

There were plenty more Derby attacks, mostly led by Vydra, but the final passes weren’t quick
    enough or accurate enough to create scoring chances - too often they chose the wrong option.
    The Rams seemed to run out of ideas and energy, which allowed Millwall  to come more into
    the game in the closing minutes. Derby’s 63% possession should have yielded more than five
    shots with only one on target.
    HT Millwall 0-0 Derby

Millwall went on the attack immediately in the second half. Davies made a crucial block and the
    home side won their first corner of the match. Wisdom carried the ball forty yards  and made a
    chance for Lawrence, but Lawrence wasted the chance and the subsequent corner. Derby showed
    glimpses of their better quality, but again their play was spoiled by too many poor decisions and
    careless final passes. Davies made another important tackle to deny Gregory a shooting chance,
    and Elliott wasted a good opening with a wild shot into the stands.

On 74 minutes Jerome and Winnall replaced Vydra and Nugent. Winnall set up Jerome for Derby’s
    third shot on target but it was straight at the keeper. In the last 15 minutes the game was end to
    end attacking and Carson made a fine save from Wallace. Anya made his first appearance of the
    season on 82 minutes, replacing Lawrence, and he put the ball in the net but it was disallowed for
    a very dubious offside. Millwall counter-attacked with great energy, and Thorne and Davies had to
    block shots. Anya raced away with ball but he was blatantly obstructed, and Jerome was just wide
    with a header from Huddlestone’s free kick. Derby may rue this match as a wasted opportunity.
    FT Millwall 0–0 Derby

Another two points dropped by Derby (2nd, 54 points) means that they are now 11 points behind
    the leaders Wolves. Villa (3rd) are just one point behind Derby, after beating Sheffield United at
    Bramall Lane. Cardiff (4th) and Bristol (5th) are three points behind Derby, with Fulham (6th) six
    points behind.

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5566
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Re: Millwall 0-0 Derby reports and comments

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:03 pm

Two words.

Curtis Davies.

What a wise footballer.

Forty years after Cyrille Regis consistently took vile abuse, he still has to face it as he leaves the pitch.

I listened to his post match interview on RD, and he really is a class act.

He's quite a good player, too.

Can we have two POTS please?
    Mitten State Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 732
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:17 pm

Officiating decisions have cost four points in the last two matches. What are the chances that those don't come back to bite us in a major way?
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23217
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:43 pm

A pretty dour and gritty game.
    On the downside I thought we were a little one paced and predictable with a reluctance to attack their fullbacks and to get around the outside.
    On the plus side we don’t get pushed around by anyone anymore and work our fewkin socks off from front to back.
    A proper team..
    It’s all closing up three home games on the trot are massive....an imaginative signing right now would also be massive.
    Don’t see it happening though it’s gonna be a grind hope the nerves are up to it.

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5566
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 11:05 pm

Having seen the disallowed goal, we would have needed a Premiership Linesman (sorry, Referee's Assistant) to spot the legitimacy of it.

A far easier mistake to make than the Bristol City one.

Nevertheless, a mistake.

We have been very fortunate with the woodwork so far this season, but human error is now beginning to cost us....
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1698
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 1:01 am

Lacking in the wide positions ...again!
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11438
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 7:32 am

Apart from the winning goal of course!
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14331
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 8:48 am

Not having seen any replays or highlights yet, here are my views on the two major talking points.

I thought the Anya goal was good and should have stood.

I didn't think it was a penalty. The cross comes in. Can't remember which defender it was (Davies? Hudds?) but he went for the ball, eyes on the ball all the way. When the cross was made Gregory was yards away from the defender and it was his motion that took his head into the foot. Was there a foul? There was contact so yes there was. Which way should it go? IMO Gregory ran into the foot rather than the foot hitting him and he had to go down for the ball rather than it being head height or higher. Both players had the right to go for the ball but it looked to me that Gregory caused his own injury.

The above is my view based on a single split second, live view of the incident on telly. When I have seen a replay I will revisit my thoughts...... I might have one or both wrong.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 8:20 pm

Here is the moment Jerome nutmegged the defender to allow Anya to run onto the ball and put it in the net. IMO, it shows he was offside and that my initial thoughts were too ;)

Last edited by MadAmster on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4381
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 8:29 pm

MadAmster wrote:Here is the moment Jerome nutmegged the defender to allow Anya to run onto the ball and put it in the net. IMO, it shows he was offside.

You can see their CH near the penalty spot, it was he who looked to be playing Itchy onside. The angle is crappy on the the highlights but was touch and go for me

Just hope it doesnt give more fuel for the VAR merchants

REF and linesman say offside, deal with it.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11438
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 9:00 pm

having watched the highlights I thought he looked offside and in terms of a decision it looked a,relatively easy one for a linesman, which also made me think that he probably was.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 8:34 am

Take a look at the photo. The grass is cut into "squares" and the lines run parallel to the goal line. One of those lines runs through the penalty spot. Anya is on/over/"south of" that line. The CH is 2 or 3 feet "north" of that line. Offside.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4759
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 9:51 am

MadAmster wrote:Take a look at the photo. The grass is cut into "squares" and the lines run parallel to the goal line. One of those lines runs through the penalty spot. Anya is on/over/"south of" that line. The CH is 2 or 3 feet "north" of that line. Offside.

Pleased to see there is someone who can take over from Darren "offside" Bent.......
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 11:36 am

Just seen the Millwall "penalty" incident again. My initial thoughts were "no penalty". I see no reason to change my mind. The defender went for the ball with his foot and, when he went for it, Gregory was 4 or 5 yards away. The movement of the foot was legitimate and eyes were on the ball. Gregory runs and dives into the foot that was there. No offence committed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Apr 2018, 8:15 pm