a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Captain Fantastic

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11438
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Captain Fantastic

Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 02 Feb 2018, 5:43 pm

Richard Keogh has signed a brand new contract and announced that he wants to finish his carrer at the Rams. 2 questions

1. Does he sign a new contract every season or have I imagined that?
    2. How many fans hope that if he finishes his career at the Rams, he's retiring in the summer? Especially when so many fans have stated that we will never be promoted with Richard Keogh in the team.

Personally I think he's a lot better than some fans give him credit for
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5565
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Re: Captain Fantastic

Post by Stockport Ram on Fri 02 Feb 2018, 7:01 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Richard Keogh has signed a brand new contract and announced that he wants to finish his carrer at the Rams. 2 questions

1. Does he sign a new contract every season or have I imagined that?
    2. How many fans hope that if he finishes his career at the Rams, he's retiring in the summer? Especially when so many fans have stated that we will never be promoted with Richard Keogh in the team.

Personally I think he's a lot better than some fans give him credit for

Oh, look who's first to reply!

1. He has had a vastly superior season to any previous - or indeed any combination of 38 games over four seasons.

2. With the proviso that the bar was extremely low.

3. If we get promoted he will have to be replaced.  The system and quality around him (Davies, Huddlestone, Ledley, Thorne) is better than ever before , and has enabled him to get away with the odd misdemeanour.  He has made fewer errors partly because of this.

I still don't think we'll go up, so my original "show my ar£e in Woollies" statement stands until we do.

Maybe we'll have a total eclipse this summer after all?

Last edited by Stockport Ram on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 4022
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Fri 02 Feb 2018, 7:41 pm

Absolutely fantastic news. Our best player for the last 4years staying even longer. Hopefully he will be captaining us in the Premiership next season
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1698
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Fri 02 Feb 2018, 7:43 pm

Great defender at this level. Also not looked out of his depth playing for Ireland. No idea if he would be good enough if we went up..but I for one would be prepared to give him a crack at it..i think he deserves it for his displays all season
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 279
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Fri 02 Feb 2018, 11:04 pm

Signing a new contract doesn't make a damn bit of difference these days so why fans get all happy and feel warm is utterly beyond me.

The only thing it means is that Keogh is likely earning more money than he was before he signed and that he likely got a signing on bonus.

Well done for earning more cash Richard.
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 738
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 12:51 am

Fair play he has had a very good season but for God's sake keep him away from interviews. If I have to hear him mutter "Like you say" to things he's not even been asked, repeatedly for another 3 or whatever seasons I'll end up completely bald up top from tearing the rest of my hair out!
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14331
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 8:53 am

Talking points aplenty in this thread...........

Stockers wrote:I still don't think we'll go up, so my original "show my ar£e in Woollies" statement stands until we do.

Am I really the only one to realise that Woollies went bust years ago....... Wink

until we do?? so when we do you retract? LOL roll

Shardlow [b]&[/b] Val wrote:Hopefully he will be captaining us in the Premiership next season & i think he deserves it for his displays all season

In previous seasons I would have strongly disagreed with both of you. He was playing well but there were far too many "rabbit in the headlights" moments that nullified the good things he did. With better players around him, he is where he should be rather than being somewhere he shouldn't be covering for someone else's mistakes. His demeanour on the field has drastically changed too. No more whirling dervish blaming all and sundry and doing his Corporal Jones "don't panic" impersonation. He was a liability and a poor example IMO despite all the good things he did. This season? Where has this player been hiding since 2012? Gone are the dervish-like tendencies, he is where he should be on the park and when he goes off on his half a dozen rushes of blood a game, he can do it, safe in the knowledge that Hudds/GT/Ledders/BJ will slot into his CH role until he hgets back from his forward forage.

Where I disagree with both is in that "he deserves playing with us in the PL next season if we go up". Sorry. No he doesn't and neither do any of the other players. Once promotion has been achieved, whichever season that is, the manager will need to look long and hard at the squad and decide which players can cut it in the PL and which can't. It is reasonably certain that, with class players alongside him, Keogh will be looked at as one who doesn't require replacing. That is, however, not guaranteed.

Jackal wrote: If I have to hear him mutter "Like you say" to things he's not even been asked, repeatedly for another 3 or whatever seasons I'll end up completely bald up top from tearing the rest of my hair out!

I agree 100% with the sentiment Jackal. In fact, I reckon he says "Like I say" even more often than the "you" version and the absolute topper is "you know", a million miles ahead of the rest. Tricky Dicky seriously needs some communication training. I would love to spend a day at Moor Farm as the proverbial "fly on the wall" to see if he uses those stock phrases anything like as often in normal conversation with his teammates. I think he would use them frequently but nowhere near as much as he does in interviews.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 9:35 am

MadAmster wrote:Talking points aplenty in this thread...........

Stockers wrote:I still don't think we'll go up, so my original "show my ar£e in Woollies" statement stands until we do.

Am I really the only one to realise that Woollies went bust years ago....... Wink

until we do?? so when we do you retract? LOL roll

Shardlow [b]&[/b] Val wrote:Hopefully he will be captaining us in the Premiership next season & i think he deserves it for his displays all season

In previous seasons I would have strongly disagreed with both of you. He was playing well but there were far too many "rabbit in the headlights" moments that nullified the good things he did. With better players around him, he is where he should be rather than being somewhere he shouldn't be covering for someone else's mistakes. His demeanour on the field has drastically changed too. No more whirling dervish blaming all and sundry and doing his Corporal Jones "don't panic" impersonation. He was a liability and a poor example IMO despite all the good things he did. This season? Where has this player been hiding since 2012? Gone are the dervish-like tendencies, he is where he should be on the park and when he goes off on his half a dozen rushes of blood a game, he can do it, safe in the knowledge that Hudds/GT/Ledders/BJ will slot into his CH role until he hgets back from his forward forage.

Where I disagree with both is in that "he deserves playing with us in the PL next season if we go up". Sorry. No he doesn't and neither do any of the other players. Once promotion has been achieved, whichever season that is, the manager will need to look long and hard at the squad and decide which players can cut it in the PL and which can't. It is reasonably certain that, with class players alongside him, Keogh will be looked at as one who doesn't require replacing. That is, however, not guaranteed.

Jackal wrote: If I have to hear him mutter "Like you say" to things he's not even been asked, repeatedly for another 3 or whatever seasons I'll end up completely bald up top from tearing the rest of my hair out!

I agree 100% with the sentiment Jackal. In fact, I reckon he says "Like I say" even more often than the "you" version and the absolute topper is "you know", a million miles ahead of the rest. Tricky Dicky seriously needs some communication training. I would love to spend a day at Moor Farm as the proverbial "fly on the wall" to see if he uses those stock phrases anything like as often in normal conversation with his teammates. I think he would use them frequently but nowhere near as much as he does in interviews.

I recall posting that one of the most pleasing things about his improved performances this season was the example I gave with the camera staying on him for a good 20 seconds or so after an excellent goal line clearance.

No pointing and blaming. No whirling dervish as you say Ammy.  Its not just him though - the whole squad seem content with their role, and see it as a job well done - Nugent and Winnall's interchanging is a prime example.

The (almost ex) CC has been nothing short of a revelation this season, and I'm happy to say I didn't believe it could happen, and I am wrong.  Long may it continue.  Nothing would please me more for him to have an entire season as good as the first 29 games, and captain us to the top flight.

To say he has been our best player for the past 4 seasons is just laughable though.  Apologies if I offend anyone but I did laugh out loud when I saw that.
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 4022
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 5:58 pm

I did post the bit about him being our best player for the last 4 years with tongue in cheek to get a reaction, however has he not won fans player of the season twice in the last four years?
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 684
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 6:31 pm

Today v Brentford was reasonably typical of Keogh's (improved) performances this season.

In my honest assessment...

He did two quality things - the header back to Anya in the second half which he (Anya) should have buried. That was a very good header. He also put a good ball through their defence in the first half which was quality.

He ran forward a couple of times with the ball. He headed directly towards one of our players each time rather than releasing the ball to them or anyone. It didn't work.

In the first part of the game he was out position in our box when he needed to make a clearing header. His header was very weak and their boy should have scored from it.

In the first half he went to moan to the ref / had his back to their corner taker (he was on the edge of our box, out of position) when they were about to take a corner. He did nothing to organise our defence. They took the corner and their boy hit the ball about 3 feet over the bar. We were disorganised.

In the second half he got out of position and dived in when one of our back 4 (Wisdom) was about to make a block thus committing both of them and leading to their lad getting the ball and Keogh and Wisdom being out of the game.

He did nothing to organise the team.

What he didn't do today (that I can remember) was the usual misplaced cross field ball into the path of an attacker. He also didn't moan at Christie (gone) or ignore Forysth (not playing)

Keogh, the best player for the past 4 season? - yep - undoubtedly!
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 6:44 pm

At least we have somebody who we can blame for everybody elses mistakes for the next few years now that he's signed a new contract.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 7:02 pm

ShardlowSheep wrote:I did post the bit about him being our best player for the last 4 years with tongue in cheek to get a reaction, however has he not won fans player of the season twice in the last four years?

Thank Christ for that, I was getting a little worried about you for a while there Sharders.

He has. Trump has also been elected President.

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14642
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sun 04 Feb 2018, 12:58 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:At least we have somebody who we can blame for everybody elses mistakes for the next few years now that he's signed a new contract.

And the Keogh lovers can keep on ignoring the mistakes he does make.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 04 Feb 2018, 1:14 pm

Great header to Jozefzoon yesterday that, thankfully, the lad blazed over.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1698
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 1:35 am

You need to stop...Keogh has in the main , been superb this season
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 8:38 am

valakari wrote:You need to stop...Keogh has in the main , been superb this season

Indeed he has. I have written such in many a thread this season. Nothing wrong in pointing out that the errors haven't completely gone away yet.

Apart from that one error he had, yet again, a very good game. The "anti" Keogh clan will, in the main, focus on those errors. The "pro" Keogh tendency will laud him uphill and down dale. I hope I am being balanced in pointing out that he has never played as well for us as he is doing this season. He is playing well, he is not doing the "rabbit in the headlights" impersonation, he is not waving his arms like a whirling dervish and blaming one and all, he is starting to look calm and assured, he is starting to behave like a captain on the park. Improvements everywhere in his game. Less mistakes but the ones he makes do make us vulnerable to conceding as they tend to happen in and around the box and give the opposition a very good scoring chance.

I suppose you could liken it to a boxer who wins the opening 9 rounds at a canter. Then, 11 seconds before the end of the final round, forgets to protect his chin for the only time in the fight. He gets knocked out.

Keogh is getting close to being the real deal as a CH. He now needs to make sure his achilles heel isn't exposed.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4759
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 9:37 am

It sometimes aggravates to hear continual criticism of any player, Keogh being the prime example.

If these players were to perform to the perfection of some fans wants they would not be playing for us that's for sure. We are not paying Manpoolchelnars prices for them, Keogh himself cost just over a million, bargain basement in the big scheme of things.

I know we can be disappointed when mistakes are made but no player in our side can, or will, be the model of consistency.

There will be more mistakes from now to the end of the season let's just hope they are not as costly as that Zamora effort.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 9:38 am

Keogh made one real error and produced countless positives on Saturday, Thorne as an example gave the ball away and put us under pressure several times but didn't do anything positive to catch the eye particularly yet if anybody criticises George on here it's tantamount to treason.

Keogh does not deserve the amount of criticism he gets, at this level he is among the best in the league in his position, and whilst I'm not sure he could cope in the premiersh*t, maybe with good players around him he might surprise us.

I'm a massive fan of George by the way but he's nowhere near his best yet, but next year whichever division we are in he will be flying.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 1:05 pm

Totally agree Loughie. GT has been off the pace for a couple of games now as well as making uncharacteristic mistakes with passes and will, IMO, give way to Ledley on Saturday. The right decision as well.

He is probably not getting slagged as most realise he is not yet up to speed. IMO, Fozzy is in a similar place to GT and should get the same amount of slack but isn't.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 1:46 pm

I agree about Fozzie Amster, my mate, who I go to the game with, slags Fozzie off all of the time and I keep telling him, it will take him a year to get back to his best from 2 serious knee injuries in a row, and 2 years out of the game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Apr 2018, 8:07 pm