a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Derby 3-0 Brentford reports and comments

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14332
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: Derby 3-0 Brentford reports and comments

Post by MadAmster on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:21 am

Nearly forgot. Kasey Palmer came on for half a dozen minutes, won the ball, made a pass and what followed ended in the penalty. Nice little cameo.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5566
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:37 am

Mucker1884 wrote:You're almost certainly right, Val, but right here, right now, wouldn't you agree that, seeing as there is an objective when all said and done, now is the time to try a different approach, seeing as the previous approach has PROVEN to fail... more than once?
    Clearly we'd all prefer entertainment AND promotion, but if we had to choose one over the other...?

Like I say, I'm not even sure what I want, but for now, I'm at least prepared to accept this different approach, and let the experts dictate the pace.

Showing my age here, but how many times did Steve Davies win world titles compared to the likes of the Hurricanes and Whirlwinds of the era?

Hey... we have no choice anyway, as it's not us making the decisions.  
    We can of course choose whether to continue supporting, or giving up the ghost (as many seem to have done, judging by recent attendances).
    Even if it does fail this time around, I reckon I'd accept a similar approach next season... but after that?  With another failure?  Who knows?  Will we be clamouring for SM3?
    Hey, we're all fickle when it boils down to it, and we all have different expectations.
    I'm not particular looking forward to relegation battles year after year (hopefully! LOL!), and love the fact we are constantly nearer the top than the bottom of our division season after season, but there is another level when all is said and done, and we should be aiming to reach it.  This "Nearly men" tag is starting to grind me down!
    What we do then, of course, is a whole new chapter.  Another era.  But let's put an end to this era first... before we all walk away!

I always enjoy the way Mucker constructs his posts.

Not a hint of malice, well reasoned, and you usually end up with a smile on your face after reading them.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11438
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:19 pm

During the game I thought that the sending off was a little harsh from where I was, I was wrong. Having now seen it on the TV, Brentford and Canos can have no complaints at all, it was an obvious red card foul. As he slid in he stamped on Olson with his right leg and his studs were up, there was no mistiming, no blaming it on the greasy top or a bouncing ball, just a straight forward nasty foul.

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14642
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:56 pm

People moaning about Lawrence, yet he had a hand in all 3 goals yesterday.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6333

Post by CornwallRam on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:04 pm

I clearly know nothing about football because I'm not finding it boring in the slightest. Obviously the results are great, but I'm really enjoying the actual play.

I love that when Vydra gets the ball he generally does something that involves rocket powered acceleration, sublime skill and fantastic vision. OK, it only last a second, but three of those seconds every game are what usually gets us the points.

I really enjoy that feeling that we're in trouble from an opposition break away, only to find that someone quickly gets to the attacker in possession and holds him up for a few seconds, by which time we've got 10 players behind the ball. That doesn't happen by accident, and that level of organisation and application impresses me.

I really appreciate the speed and ferocity of out attacks. I find it raises my pulse far more than a lot of the steady passing of the McClaren era.

I also love that goals are coming from all over the pitch. It got quite tedious that our only tactic for much of last season was to pass it to Ince on the corner of the box for him to cut inside and hit a curler with his left.

Scott Carson's keeping has also been a source of real joy to me. He's just taking everything that comes his way. Ad to that the rock-like nature of our centre halves and even the defending is, in my eyes, great to watch.

I'm sorry, I just don't see boring football, I see brilliantly organised, competently executed, exciting, multi-dimensional football...and we're going to win the league. COYR
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11438
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:25 pm

No we're not Corny. Tell you what Wolves can have the title as long as it's done way before the end so that they're all on the beach by the time we go there needing three points to secure second spot.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6333

Post by CornwallRam on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:No we're not Corny. Tell you what Wolves can have the title as long as it's done way before the end so that they're all on the beach by the time we go there needing three points to secure second spot.

Wristslaher

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14642
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:51 pm

CornwallRam wrote:I clearly know nothing about football because I'm not finding it boring in the slightest. Obviously the results are great, but I'm really enjoying the actual play.

I love that when Vydra gets the ball he generally does something that involves rocket powered acceleration, sublime skill and fantastic vision. OK, it only last a second, but three of those seconds every game are what usually gets us the points.

I really enjoy that feeling that we're in trouble from an opposition break away, only to find that someone quickly gets to the attacker in possession and holds him up for a few seconds, by which time we've got 10 players behind the ball. That doesn't happen by accident, and that level of organisation and application impresses me.

I really appreciate the speed and ferocity of out attacks. I find it raises my pulse far more than a lot of the steady passing of the McClaren era.

I also love that goals are coming from all over the pitch. It got quite tedious that our only tactic for much of last season was to pass it to Ince on the corner of the box for him to cut inside and hit a curler with his left.

Scott Carson's keeping has also been a source of real joy to me. He's just taking everything that comes his way. Ad to that the rock-like nature of our centre halves and even the defending is, in my eyes, great to watch.

I'm sorry, I just don't see boring football, I see brilliantly organised, competently executed, exciting, multi-dimensional football...and we're going to win the league. COYR

I’m not finding it boring either and I agree with everything you have written.
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 4022
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:02 pm

I didn’t find yesterday match boring either. Comfortable maybe after we were 2-0 up bit we still played some good stuff. Some of Huddlestone long passing was great to watch as was the trickery of both Anya and Vydra. Also thought Lawrence was ok - a couple of poor crosses early on and a poor free kick but after that some very dangerous corners and a couple of decent efforts on goal.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23217
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:46 pm

CornwallRam wrote:I clearly know nothing about football because I'm not finding it boring in the slightest. Obviously the results are great, but I'm really enjoying the actual play.

Well said Corny.
    It’s the little things they do so well all over the pitch that make it so good for me.
    After years of watching us implode or panic and invariably shoot ourselves in the foot.
    I just love the composer and calmness shown all over the pitch..as the commentary team said yesterday in recent seasons you always felt that we had a team that was competitive but it was a team of individuals.
    This team works their tails off for each other...I guess it’s not fashionable to appreciate eleven guys grafting for the shirt they are wearing.
    Then call me old fashioned.

New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23217
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:16 pm

mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:Looking down on all but one team is all the entertainment I need.
    After years of flattering to deceive I will take organized effective football anytime.
    Burnley went up through being ultra direct and physical.
    Today they sit high and proud in the Premier League after drawing with the best team in England.
    The Brum fans that were glad to see the back of Rowett have had loads of entertainment since his departure all of it X rated.
    Too many years we have been pushed around or choked in the games that mattered...no more Super Rams

New England Ram, I am happy that winning is all the entertainment you need. Winning certainly makes me feel happy, but the manner in which we are doing it doesn't actually entertain me. If you are the type that is happy to pay 30 quid to watch 90 minutes of utterly boring football as long as we win then great. Not me...

If I were given the choice of playing a very dour style and playing Premier League football, or playing entertaining football and challenging in the Championship, then I would take the entertaining football all day long.

You cite Burnley as an example. Well, I will give you West Brom as another. There fans are crying out for some excitement...many of whom say they would be happy to get relegated if it meant they would have something of interest to watch on a Saturday afternoon.

I would like to see the same West Brom fans when they get relegated and drop another division or spend their season in the lower league of the championship which is always a serious possibility for clubs like West Brom.
    Years of over achieving and getting bored with mediocrity can be a dangerous thing.

Burton Brum and Derby Rowett has been given a job to do with limited resources.
    At all three he has turned out competitive organized teams.
    He’s paid to produce results and he can only produce a style of play with the tools available to him.

I don’t particularly find any football entertaining anymore.
    The football I grew up with is long dead tricky wingers leaving fullbacks for dead and hitting pin point crosses for a big centre forward to bury is no more.
    I rarely sit through 90 minutes of any Premier League game with its endless sideways and backwards possession football.

50 years supporting the Rams this year I only care about us becoming relevant again.
    And unfortunately than means you have to be in the Premier League and hopefully if Rowett achieves that he will be given funds to add the entertainment that some feel is missing.

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4759
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:26 pm

From 3rd Division North through to the top division back to old Third Division and to the Premiership then down a tier in the league pyramid then on to that inglorious season in the Premiership and the present stay in the Championship.

I and others have been on this bumpy ride and have seen boredom and excitement in not so equal measure.

Today's football style at Derby has changed but has kept intrigue and excitement along with it's gladiatorial and territory guarding atmosphere and whilst that is still in this game of football no matter what level we are at I will still support.

The excitement level may not be tangible many miles away watching on TV but we can sure smell it at Pride Park. (Especially next season in our free seats!)
    Mucker1884

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10288
    Registration date : 2009-07-22

Post by Mucker1884 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:53 pm

Rams bottom wrote:I'm a season ticket holder and at every home match and a fair few away matches.........you?

ST Holder, but do miss the odd home game due to weekends away & holiday in Sept... plus the odd trip to Wembley due to Holiday in May!

Haven't dared do an away game since I took the COYR forum mob, and found a tear on the minibus seat when we got back!  Afraid LOL roll
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14332

Post by MadAmster on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:54 pm

It's certainly not the adrenaline rush we had with SM first time round but when you see games like the Villa match where, despite them having the greater amount of possession, we seemed to be controlling the game even when they had the ball. That is great to watch.
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3848
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:13 pm

It's interesting to see some fans bemoaning the lack of flair and attacking style of our current team. With the exception of Wolves I don't see any team playing that way every week, and there are twenty two teams in the Championship who would swap places with us right now.

Be careful what you wish for. We know from bitter experience how teams get promoted and how others miss out.

Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 732
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:21 pm

bramhallram wrote:It's interesting to see some fans bemoaning the lack of flair and attacking style of our current team. With the exception of Wolves I don't see any team playing that way every week, and there are twenty two teams in the Championship who would swap places with us right now.

Be careful what you wish for. We know from bitter experience how teams get promoted and how others miss out.

Every match on multiple occasions Derby make incisive moves forward with good touch, productive of goals or solid chances at goals. Look at the move that by rights ought to have won the game at Millwall. How many teams at our level are playing like that? No, we're not winning 5-0 every week; no we don't make moves like that every time we touch the ball. But we're scoring enough goals to win regularly, and we're apparently the most difficult team in the league to beat. Personally, I'm gripped. If I could be at Pride Park every week, I would.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:18 pm