Derby 2-2 Leeds reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16088
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 2-2 Leeds reports and comments

Post by RRC on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 9:55 pm

Derby made two changes to the team that lost to Sheffield Wednesday, with Olsson and Lawrence
    replacing Forsyth and Johnson -
          Carson
          Baird Keogh Davies Olsson
          Huddlestone Ledley
          Weimann Vydra Lawrence
          Nugent
          subs - Roos Wisdom Pearce Johnson Anya Palmer Jerome

Derby attacked strongly from the start, forcing Leeds to defend in numbers. The visitors dealt well
    with hopeful long balls and high crosses, because the Rams had no striker good enough to beat the
    Leeds defence in the air in the starting lineup. Leeds looked vulnerable when Lawrence and Baird
    delivered fast, accurate corners and when Weimann beat them for speed. Chances came for Derby
    but, as in recent matches, they weren’t sharp enough in the box, giving Leeds time to recover and
    clear their lines.

When Leeds had the ball, the Rams kept them under pressure, limiting them to sporadic attacks and
    long shots for most of the half. But then Olsson allowed Dallas far too much space, he crossed to
    Lassogga, who was left unmarked by Keogh, and Lassogga scored with a free header on 34 minutes.
    Derby’s best chance in normal time came when Lawrence hit the bar with a fierce shot. The ball
    rebounded to Nugent but he was offside. In the last minute of extra time, a fine long pass by
    Huddlestone led to two Leeds players going for the same ball. The weak header fell to Weimann,
    who calmly slotted home the equalizer.
    HT Derby 1–1 Leeds

The second half continued in the same vein as the first. A Huddlestone shot blocked by a fortuitous
    hand. Weimann made a clear chance for Nugent, who tried a shot without controlling the ball and
    was well wide. More half chances and corners followed for Derby. Leeds counter-attacked but the
    Rams defence contained them. Jerome replaced Nugent on 68 minutes. A Leeds attack won their
    first corner of the match on 70 minutes and the game became more open from that point. Palmer
    came on for Lawrence with 15 minutes left.

Leeds took the lead again on 79 minutes when Sáiz beat Olsson, his cross found Alioski in acres
    of space, and the striker scored when Carson’s save of his first shot rebounded to him. After that
    Leeds attacks were more threatening than Derby’s. Johnson replaced Ledley on 81 minutes.
    Palmer saved a point for Derby after skilfully chesting the ball down amid a goalmouth scramble
    and volleying into the net in extra time. Defensive mistakes and poor finishing cost what should
    have been a comfortable win. Derby had a massive 25 shots, the most in any Championship game,
    but only 4 on target.
    FT Derby 2–2 Leeds

Earlier, on Tuesday night, Villa dropped two points at home to Preston. Tonight league leaders
    Wolves also drew at home (with Norwich), so Cardiff (2nd), who won at Ipswich, closed the gap
    to 9 points and increased their lead over Villa and Derby to 4 and 5 points respectively. Derby’s
    draw kept them in 4th place. Fulham (5th) and Bristol City (6th) maintained their challenge
    when they drew at Craven Cottage. Sheffield United (7th) are 2 points behind them but with a
    game in hand.

Last edited by RRC on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2767
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Re: Derby 2-2 Leeds reports and comments

Post by Calif_Ramette on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:09 pm

Couldn't defend, couldn't hit the back of the net with the 8 million chances we had. Should have won by at 3 if not 4. Unreal.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1742
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:21 pm

Should have kept Chris Martin..our centre forwards are average!
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5629
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:22 pm

Top class teams take advantage of the half time goal.

We  are good.  Sadly, we aren't quite good enough.

Lawrence was superb for 20 minutes. Great on the ball, perfect corners, but then he just wandered.

He has the ability.

I really want him to suceed, but he needs to grow up.  Quickly.

Vydra - immense.  Cotton wool please, Gary.

Keogh.  Calm down, you have had a really good season, but listen and learn from Curtis in key situations when we are at the business end.

Olssen - owned by Dallas.  Is Fozzy fit?

Huddlestone - let off the leash a bit  because of Ledley's return, and a delight.

Davies -  not a foot wrong. Lasogga's goal was Keogh's man, and he knew it.  The danger is that he will have to overplay as RK (CC) panics at the business end.  I sincerely hope not.

We are still very much in this, but my heart says I will be watching a laptop from Mexico at the end of May.

Last edited by Stockport Ram on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 4033
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:23 pm

Very good first half, not so good second but didn’t take enough of our chances and gave away two very poor goals.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11500
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:37 pm

I wonder whether those that have been claiming we have been lucky thought that we were unlucky tonight.

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11500
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:43 pm

Tell you what though the Leeds fans showed us how to support your football team, they out sang us from the first minute to the last and made us look pretty sh*t to be honest.
    Rams bottom

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : 01-11-1975 against Leeds
    Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2016-10-07

Post by Rams bottom on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 10:54 pm

Perhaps we should hand these out!
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 753
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 11:08 pm

Huddlestone & Vydra were the contenders for MOTM for me. Olsson was garbage. We seem more like the McLaren teams at the moment than the Derby we've seen for nearly all of the season so far.
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2767
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 11:11 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Tell you what though the Leeds fans showed us how to support your football team, they out sang us from the first minute to the last and made us look pretty sh*t to be honest.

I could hear them watching the game.
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 279
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 11:52 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:I wonder whether those that have been claiming we have been lucky thought that we were unlucky tonight.

I think those that have said we have been lucky will probably say that drawing against a side at home that hasn't won for nearly two months is what happens when our luck runs out.

Derby are a very average side that has had good fortune throughout the season and now that the tide has turned, will start to drop down the league and find its true position.

We still have those fans though that actually think we we didn't have any luck and somehow miraculously found itself in 2nd position with a side full of highly average players.

I think we will do well to make the play offs. I dare say if we don't, there will be a fair few on here asking for the managers head. We are what we are, a mid-table Championship side as the current form position of 13 suggests.

valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1742
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 12:33 am

Personally I think Rowett has stripped us of many quality players who didn't have enough steel..and turned us into a hard to beat team full of bang average players!..surely what was needed was to add a couple of strong players to what we had. Unfortunately, if we go up, and it's a big If, we would need to rebuild it massively..and if we don't go up...we will still need to rebuild it...just with a different class of players..either way, I can't see too many of the current side still here next season..and I may add, if we don't go up..it will be with a new manager as well...
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4800
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 12:36 am

For those of you that say we are playing boring football this match showed us all what happens when we play to be crowd entertainers.

End to end football, very entertaining but not effective, keep the ball with a succession of backward and sideways passing, very entertaining but not effective.

The effective football came from the boots of Huddleston and Lawence in the "direct" style but unfortunately the clinical finishing was missing.

Give me more of pre Christmas (so called boring) football and I will be willingly dragged screaming into the Premiership on my free seat.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23261
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:03 am

valakari wrote:Personally I think Rowett has stripped us of many quality players who didn't have enough steel..and turned us into a hard to beat team full of bang average players!..surely what was needed was to add a couple of strong players to what we had. Unfortunately, if we go up, and it's a big If, we would need to rebuild it massively..and if we don't go up...we will still need to rebuild it...just with a different class of players..either way, I can't see too many of the current side still here next season..and I may add, if we don't go up..it will be with a new manager as well...

If he didn’t make us hard to beat we wouldn’t be in the top six.

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:07 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:Tell you what though the Leeds fans showed us how to support your football team, they out sang us from the first minute to the last and made us look pretty sh*t to be honest.

We have a ground full of nervous wrecks.
    The crowd has needed to show some bottle and create some noise even when they were biting finger nails.
    Think the vocal aspect of this seasons support at home has been rubbish.
    If what I am not hearing from 3000 miles is accurate.

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:10 am

SawleyRam wrote:For those of you that say we are playing boring football this match showed us all what happens when we play to be crowd entertainers.

End to end football, very entertaining but not effective, keep the ball with a succession of backward and sideways passing, very entertaining but not effective.

The effective football came from the boots of Huddleston and Lawence in the "direct" style but unfortunately the clinical finishing was missing.

Give me more of pre Christmas (so called boring) football and I will be willingly dragged screaming into the Premiership on my free seat.

Sat there all night Sawl saying we need to be even more direct.
    Teams know who to smother now so if nobody is closing Tom H down he should be firing that long ball all night..stretch them and free up more space for Vydra.

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 2:54 am

A few years ago we were so close to going up then twice after we challenged but fell away.
    This season we have made ourselves competitive again and are competing at the right end of the table unlike clubs like the clowns down the road who stumble from ordinary to crap.
    I look back at Uncle George B and his eight years at Ipswich.
    He lost three playoff semi finals and won at the fourth attempt.
    Then finished 5th in the Premier League played in Europe the season after and got relegated.
    My point is he kept them competitive and competing despite the setbacks.
    Maybe it doesn’t work out this season who knows but I believe we are not far off.
    And I for one believe that Rowett has what it takes to build a team and a culture at DCFC to get us up.

outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1247
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 4:13 am

valakari wrote:Should have kept Chris Martin..our centre forwards are average!

Martin V Jerome Martin by a fu*#ing mile.

Mucker1884

First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10289
    Registration date : 2009-07-22

Post by Mucker1884 on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 5:48 am

New England Ram wrote:

We have a ground full of nervous wrecks.
    The crowd has needed to show some bottle and create some noise even when they were biting finger nails.
    Think the vocal aspect of this seasons support at home has been rubbish.
    If what I am not hearing from 3000 miles is accurate.

Must admit I succumbed last night... to the metaphorical nail-biting, that is! Particularly in the end-to-end last half hour.
    Yes, I was the first to roar an encouraging "Come on Derby" after we conceded (both times), but I just couldn't force myself to harmonise in any sing-alongs! My bottle was cracked, if not shattered!
    After all these years, it should just come naturally. Just sit back, enjoy for the footy for what it is, whilst nibbling on a huge slice of What-will-be-will-be cake. What is it with nerves? Why am I even still bothered?

... When our second went in, it was the first time in years I found myself jumping around on the stairs though! (Don't panic... I do have an aisle seat)!!

Onwards and hopefully upwards.
    COYR

KeoghKeogh

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 7:39 am

Stockport Ram wrote:Top class teams take advantage of the half time goal.

We  are good.  Sadly, we aren't quite good enough.

Lawrence was superb for 20 minutes. Great on the ball, perfect corners, but then he just wandered.

He has the ability.

I really want him to suceed, but he needs to grow up.  Quickly.

Vydra - immense.  Cotton wool please, Gary.

Keogh.  Calm down, you have had a really good season, but listen and learn from Curtis in key situations when we are at the business end.

Olssen - owned by Dallas.  Is Fozzy fit?

Huddlestone - let off the leash a bit  because of Ledley's return, and a delight.

Davies -  not a foot wrong. Lasogga's goal was Keogh's man, and he knew it.  The danger is that he will have to overplay as RK (CC) panics at the business end.  I sincerely hope not.

We are still very much in this, but my heart says I will be watching a laptop from Mexico at the end of May.

I agree with most of this - another playoff campaign beckons.

Unlike yourself I thought that Lawrence was average. His corners found their big, spare CH almost every time.

Keogh was shocking for their first goal when he completely left their CF. For their second he was our man pressing their keeper for the rebound after Palmer's freekick - why? It meant that he was out of the game when they broke.

Olssen. A poor lunge for their second. Otherwise he was average against some tricky players.

Nuge. Looked better in the kick in than in the game. He looked off it in front of goal again.

Our captain on the field, Davies did well as usual.

Huddlestone's distribution was better and sometimes excellent.

Baird did ok against some decent players.

Their substitutions were more positive that ours and they were away from home.

Jerome for Nuge and Johnson for Ledley gave caused Leeds few problems; their sustitutions caused us even more problems at the back. When will Palmer be given a proper chance?

We were let down by weak finishing in the first half and poor defending for their two goals.

MadAmster

Number of posts : 14448
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 8:48 am

Coaches hat : Well, GR got his message through. Be braver in your choice of pass and try to force the issue is, from the interviews he gives, the message he has been hammering home for most, if not all, of the season. The players attacked at every opportunity and, unfortunately, left ourselves vulnerable to the counter. We paid the price and an expensive one it was too. 57% possession with much of it in their half. 25 shots to their 8. Only 4-3 ahead in shots on target. We did, however, go close on 3 or 4 other occasions. Unfortunately you get nowt for close. 10 corners to their 2. As a coach I can't complain about them carrying out the coach's instructions in the main. What I can complain about is how their 2 goals happened. With their first, a long, diagonal ball to their right winger. Olsson goes to close down. Lasogga is central and has Davies for company. What happened next? Davies left Lasogga to go wide and act as cover for Olsson. Keogh is 5 yards behind play and stays there, not static but not getting any closer to Lasogga. Davies has, quite likely, followed instructions and it is anatural thing to do when you know that they have one central striker, your partner will take that man and the other FB will come inside their other winger to mark him. It went wrong. Keogh couldn't get back to Lasogga. Does that make it all RK's fault or should CD have checked before moving? Should CD or should SC have given RK instructions? Either way, our oh so steady central defence fell apart for once.Remedy? Reinforce the instructions to the defence so that it doesn't happen again. Mistakes will happen. Their second goal. Gung ho at its best. We have them on the ropes and we want to win the game so badly that we disengage our brains. Was Palmer the right choice to take the free kick as he had only just come on? The coach will know and take appropriate action. That just about everybody is in their box leaving us shorthanded at the back shouldn't happen. I (the coach) will make sure it doesn't happen again. Olsson should not have dived in and knows better. After that they had a 2 on 1 situation. They had luck on their side when SC's stop rebounded onto their player's head and he nodded it in for the 2-1. Can't complain about the performance as it was what I had asked for and they, apart from the 2 counters, delivered. I will be, quite rightly, upbeat in my musings with the press and will stay away from thoughts of us having been too attacking and that we should be somewhere in between what we have produced for most of the season and what we did last night.

The fan : Much better performance. We had them under the thumb for most of the game and should have won the game. Really entertaining stuff and exactly what we want to see. Where was the defence for both of their counters? Oh, doing the attacking bit I love to see..... maybe we could have been slightly less positive going forward then we would still have had them under pressure and less open to their counters. Should have won.

In general : No blaming Carson, he had a good game. Olsson booked himself a place on the bench if Fozzy is fit. Baird might just have done enough to keep his place. The 2 CDs will have learnt a lot from the goals against and are safe. The 2 DMs did well enough to keep their places but on another day Hudds may well ahve scored 2. Weimann had a good game and should have had a 2nd at least. Nuge played a decent game but had obviously left his shooting boots at home. Vydra worked and worked and Nuge wasn't the only on who left the SBs at home. Lawrence? Great shot that hit the woodwork, a couple of decent corners and that was that from him. The substitutions? BJ came on to chase the game. Another with shooting boots problems. Jerome was a like for like replacement and di OK. Palmer? Shit free kick that started off the move for their 2nd and then got the equaliser. Start him ahead of Lawrence.
    KeoghKeogh

Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 9:40 am

No competent defender slows down to allow a CF a free run to break into your own box. It is defender's instinct to cover 'just in case'. That Keogh didn't do it shows his lack of instinct as a defender IMHO.

No competent CH captain allows 6 (or was it 7?) players to crowd a penno area when your own man is going to shoot from a freekick AND then commit yourself as the front man. Captaincy and defensive Instinct is to be sure that you halfway line is covered and put yourself in a position to 'get back' if the shot is blocked. Again, poor choice from Keogh from a lack of captaincy and defensive instinct.

It's not too late to do what Clement did and give a captain the captaincy. Keogh needs to get back to doing his CH job properly.

GR knows the faults in the Leeds game and pretty much said this in his post-match. Hopefully MM will now allow him to give Davies the captaincy as per GR's plan A when he signed Davies.

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4800
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 10:57 am

No one has yet mentioned our goal machine Matej Vydra. How often have we seen him go through a game this season without a shot on goal?

Last night for some unknown reason he passed when well placed instead of using his ability to make space for a shot, yes that does happen now and then, but all match? Our attack looked rather toothless without Vydra doing what he does best. Fortunately Weimann and Palmer stepped up to the scoring plate but we need more support in that area when Vyds is misfiring.
    Mucker1884

First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10289
    Registration date : 2009-07-22

Post by Mucker1884 on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:45 pm

... and yet my abiding memory from last night is what appeared to be Vydra hustling, harrying, winning 50/50's, and taking the ball off the opposition more than the other 9 white shirts combined. First half he was phenomenal on that score.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14448
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 3:13 pm

Mucker1884 wrote:... and yet my abiding memory from last night is what appeared to be Vydra hustling, harrying, winning 50/50's, and taking the ball off the opposition more than the other 9 white shirts combined.  First half he was phenomenal on that score.

.... worked and worked but, unfortunately, left his shooting boots at home. His only error.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 23 May 2018, 2:33 am