Reading 3-3 Derby reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16053
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Reading 3-3 Derby reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 5:23 pm

Derby made two  enforced changes to the team that drew with Leeds, with Palmer and Jerome
    starting instead of Vydra and Nugent. Vydra has been ill and Nugent, who is on the bench, has
    muscle problems.
          Carson
          Baird Keogh Davies Olsson
          Huddlestone Ledley
          Weimann Palmer Lawrence
          Jerome
          subs - Roos Wisdom Pearce Thorne Johnson Anya Nugent

Reading were on the front foot from the start but a good block by Davies and a Carson save
    denied them. Derby helped them by passing carelessly and standing off. The Rams’ first attack
    on 6 minutes saw a good build up by Lawrence and Weimann, which led to Palmer smashing
    home his second goal for Derby on his first start.  Reading counter-attacked quickly  and were
    soon in complete control, with the Rams having very little possession. Derby stopped to argue
    about a throw-in on 16 minutes, and Kelly scored with a 30-yard shot, giving Carson no chance.

It became all too easy for Reading. The home side were not playing well (their defence was very
    poor), but Derby made so little effort, were so slow and showed so little quality, that another
    Reading goal seemed inevitable. It came on 32 minutes when Barrow beat Keogh and Baird to
    give the the lead. Three minutes later, against the run of play, Keogh scored with a free shot
    from a headed pass by Davies. In the Derby box, Davies had to save the Rams again in the next
    Reading attack. A Lawrence free kick tested the Reading keeper and a Lawrence corner gave
    Jerome a chance. Reading were the better side for most of the half, mainly because Derby were
    so poor, especially in defence.
    Reading 2–2 Derby

Derby started the second half on the attack through Lawrence and their second attack allowed
    Lawrence to cut inside and score a fine individual goal after one minute of play. Shots by Barrow
    and Bödvarsson were saved brilliantly by Carson. Unlike the first half, all the Rams pressed harder
    and forced Reading back, not letting them play their passing game. The Reading keeper made a
    great save from Jerome’s fierce shot and another fine Lawrence corner should have been converted.

More sloppy defending by Derby allowed a good Reading attack to develop but Bödvarsson missed
    a sitter. Derby began to run out of steam after 70 minutes and Reading came more and more into
    the game. Johnson replaced Palmer in the number 10 role on 78 minutes. Barrow robbed Baird and
    made a chance for  Bödvarsson. Carson saved the first shot but couldn’t save the second shot from
    the rebound, and on 80 minutes Reading were level again. The Rams had chances in the Reading
    box but couldn’t score. Baird was sent off for a high two-footed lunge on Barrow on 85 minutes. The
    Derby players surrounded the referee and Carson received a yellow card. Wisdom came on for
    Lawrence on 88 minutes. Derby reverted to backing off and giving the ball away, which encouraged
    more Reading attacks. This was another game that Derby could have won easily but bottled their
    chance and settled for another disappointing draw. The Rams defence, with the exception of Davies
    and Carson, was poor again,
    FT Reading 3–3 Derby

League leader Wolves (73 points) play Fulham (5th, 56) at tea time. Cardiff (2nd, 64) play Bristol
    City (6th, 54) on Sunday. Villa (3rd, 63) rescued 3 points after being 0-2 down at Hillsborough.
    Derby (60) stay 4th but may not do so for long unless they start to win games.

Update- Fulham beat Wolves 2-0 and are just 1 point behind Derby, so our next match (against
    Fulham) looks crucial for our players' confidence. If we lose badly, the wobble could become a dramatic
    slide down the table as in 2014-15, where we got 12 points from our last 13 games.

Last edited by RRC on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3848
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Re: Reading 3-3 Derby reports and comments

Post by bramhallram on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 6:16 pm

With defending like that we'll be lucky to make the play offs...

DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 928
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 7:02 pm

DO NOT SIT BACK AND TRY TO HOLD ON TO A ONE GOAL LEAD.

That could be my only comment, because that is what did for us. As RRC said, this was a game (yet another game) which we should have won comfortably. But yet again we started lethargically and sloppily. Why do we always do that? We know that if we start on a high tempo, and press and harry the opposition, we will win, because we have proved it time and time again over several seasons, yet as soon as we have proved to ourselves, we revert to dull and lazy.

So we scraped through the first half and ended it on level terms. Second half we came out all guns blazing (Note to Derby County - its what guns are for), and pressed Reading back. And playing high up the pitch unsettled them because their side to side, tippy=tappy, play it out of defence style makes them uncomfortable and liable to errors. Then having taken advantage and gone ahead, what did we do? Carry on and put them to the sword? No, let's settle back, give them plenty of the ball, and try and hold on. The killer was when Kasey Palmer tired, which was inevitable given his lack of game time. What did we do? Try and stay on the front foot? Apart from us already having headed towards the back foot, no. Lets take Palmer off and put Bradley Johnson out on the left of midfield. Although he shows loads of commitment and leadership, his use of the ball is often poor, plus he isn't a left-winger, which is what we needed. We knew Reading were weak down the flanks, but it seems that Rowett is determined to not play Anya, who would have been the ideal replacement, moving Lawrence to the No 10 role, a position which he can play well. Back foot it is then, and from then on the ball simply kept coming back at us time and time again (ref Johnson's poor use of the ball?).

Rowett admitted that we seemed to have the attitude that the game was already won and backed off, yet he was happy with how we played. ?????? Happy that we sat back instead of killing the opposition off? Come on Gary, the deserved a right old bollocking for that. Oh, and the horrendous defending.

He has his critics, but Craig Ramage was calling it right virtully all the way through the match. He had highlighted their weakness down the flanks, the need to not give them any room and to not allow them lots of ball time, and to watch out for their wing play and speed. He was calling for us to up the tempo, to get into their faces and to keep on the front foot. And apart from about 20 minutes in the second half, we failed on all counts. Yes, we scored 3 goals and created a lot of chances. But we have to put them away, and we have to concentrate right to the end.

I have had run ins with a number of people after the Leeds game for not showing my support and for being critical. I am not a blind-faither, and have only left matches early on 3 occasions, one an evening game when I was starting work at 3 am the next morning, and I have been watching the Rams since the Brian Clough days, but I do have to question what is going on. At most of our games this year we have thrown points away, especially after Mel Morris's generous offer of free season tickets if we get promoted. These are against teams which we should put away easily, but we have failed to do it. And it isn't as if this is a one-off - it has happened without fail ever since Mac 1, except for the play-off final year. I am not saying that the club don't want promotion, because that would be stupid. But do some of players know that if we are promoted, they will be out of the door? I don't know, but I find it hard to understand how we follow this pattern every year without fail.

Come on you Rams, you are better than this. Lets see it out on the pitch.

And yes, I am very angry.
    RRC
    Admin

Number of posts : 16053
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 7:41 pm

Update- Fulham beat Wolves 2-0 and are just 1 point behind Derby, so our next match (against
    Fulham) looks crucial for our players' confidence. If we lose badly, the wobble could become a
    dramatic slide down the table as in 2014-15, when we got 12 points from our last 13 games.

New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23217
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 8:06 pm

Fulham have been the form team to go up and were my tip two weeks ago to get 2nd.
    Derby being Derby would not surprise me if we won next week though.
    That’s the “ Derby Way “

valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1698
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 8:09 pm

Doing my head in..but we have a bang average set of players..i warned what would happen when the luck ran out..Rowett needs to have a look at himself..cos I'm sure Mel will in the summer!

chicken
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14642
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 8:57 pm

valakari wrote:Doing my head in..but we have a bang average set of players..i warned what would happen when the luck ran out..Rowett needs to have a look at himself..cos I'm sure Mel will in the summer!

You seriously moaning about Rowett?? Ffs! He’s not even had a full season. Stupidity
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11438
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 10:06 pm

Yes but he shipped his boyfriend out Chicken so he's a bit bitter. You do know that Val loves Chris Martin didn't you, I think he mentioned a couple of times Whistle
    norfolkram

First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 598
    Registration date : 2014-11-19

Post by norfolkram on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 10:29 pm

Why the hell play Olsson ever, why Johnson for palmer instead of anya,why Jerome instead of Nugent, why try to hold on against a poor side
    valakari

Post by valakari on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 10:35 pm

norfolkram wrote:Why the hell play Olsson ever, why Johnson for palmer instead of anya,why Jerome instead of Nugent, why try to hold on against a poor side
    absolutely mate

chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 10:36 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Yes but he shipped his boyfriend out Chicken so he's a bit bitter. You do know that Val loves Chris Martin didn't you, I think he mentioned a couple of times Whistle

I didn’t know, he never mentioned it Rolling Eyes not once Whistle
    valakari

Post by valakari on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 10:39 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Yes but he shipped his boyfriend out Chicken so he's a bit bitter. You do know that Val loves Chris Martin didn't you, I think he mentioned a couple of times Whistle
    if you have watched the games this season..you would understand. We have played mostly poor, non entertaining football...i don't like it..and I'm Dan sure Mel won't! He will only put up with it if we get promoted..you will see
    valakari

Post by valakari on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 10:44 pm

chicken wrote:
    valakari wrote:Doing my head in..but we have a bang average set of players..i warned what would happen when the luck ran out..Rowett needs to have a look at himself..cos I'm sure Mel will in the summer!

You seriously moaning about Rowett?? Ffs! He’s not even had a full season. Stupidity
    if you have watched the games this season..you would understand. We have played mostly poor, non entertaining football...i don't like it..and I'm Dan sure Mel won't! He will only put up with it if we get promoted..you will see
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 279
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 11:50 pm

28% possession against a side struggling against relegation.

Folks are saying that we can't blame GR. Why?

Is he somehow blameless because its his first full season?

We are still in a good position in this league, but it is not on the back of good performances. It is on the back of lucky performances. I said all along that this team will find its level and they are now starting to do that.

For all of you happy clappers that think we are a top side and have a chance of promotion, dream on.

I now realise why Hull were so desperate to get rid of Curtis Davies. For all of his good work, he has that one error in him nearly every game. He's just a carthorse. The same can be said of Jerome. A ridiculous signing.

We have stripped the team of its youth and creativity and replaced with dull, dour journeymen.

Boring, boring Derby. We are the laughing stock of the country for that Premiership campaign and continue to be for despite being one of the best supported clubs (though that us dwindling under GR), for our consistent drop of form in the latter halves of every season.
    valakari

Post by valakari on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 1:04 am

Exactly spot on mc

chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 1:45 am

valakari wrote:
    chicken wrote:

He won’t get rid of Rowett if he doesn’t get us promoted this season. Not a chance and I have watched the games this season. We’re 4th in the table, in a season where we all thought it was going to be a rebuilding season. Nobody expected to be where we are. People moan for the sake of it.

I sometimes think some people want us to fail.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4759
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 1:50 am

DavesaRam wrote:DO NOT SIT BACK AND TRY TO HOLD ON TO A ONE GOAL LEAD.

That could be my only comment, because that is what did for us. As RRC said, this was a game (yet another game) which we should have won comfortably. But yet again we started lethargically and sloppily. Why do we always do that? We know that if we start on a high tempo, and press and harry the opposition, we will win, because we have proved it time and time again over several seasons, yet as soon as we have proved to ourselves, we revert to dull and lazy.

So we scraped through the first half and ended it on level terms. Second half we came out all guns blazing (Note to Derby County - its what guns are for), and pressed Reading back. And playing high up the pitch unsettled them because their side to side, tippy=tappy, play it out of defence style makes them uncomfortable and liable to errors. Then having taken advantage and gone ahead, what did we do? Carry on and put them to the sword? No, let's settle back, give them plenty of the ball, and try and hold on. The killer was when Kasey Palmer tired, which was inevitable given his lack of game time. What did we do? Try and stay on the front foot? Apart from us already having headed towards the back foot, no. Lets take Palmer off and put Bradley Johnson out on the left of midfield. Although he shows loads of commitment and leadership, his use of the ball is often poor, plus he isn't a left-winger, which is what we needed. We knew Reading were weak down the flanks, but it seems that Rowett is determined to not play Anya, who would have been the ideal replacement, moving Lawrence to the No 10 role, a position which he can play well. Back foot it is then, and from then on the ball simply kept coming back at us time and time again (ref Johnson's poor use of the ball?).

Rowett admitted that we seemed to have the attitude that the game was already won and backed off, yet he was happy with how we played. ?????? Happy that we sat back instead of killing the opposition off? Come on Gary, the deserved a right old bollocking for that. Oh, and the horrendous defending.

He has his critics, but Craig Ramage was calling it right virtully all the way through the match. He had highlighted their weakness down the flanks, the need to not give them any room and to not allow them lots of ball time, and to watch out for their wing play and speed. He was calling for us to up the tempo, to get into their faces and to keep on the front foot. And apart from about 20 minutes in the second half, we failed on all counts. Yes, we scored 3 goals and created a  lot of chances. But we have to put them away, and we have to concentrate right to the end.

I have had run ins with a number of people after the Leeds game for not showing my support and for being critical. I am not a blind-faither, and have only left matches early on 3 occasions, one an evening game when I was starting work at 3 am the next morning, and I have been watching the Rams since the Brian Clough days, but I do have to question what is going on. At most of our games this year we have thrown points away, especially after Mel Morris's generous offer of free season tickets if we get promoted. These are against teams which we should put away easily, but we have failed to do it. And it isn't as if this is a one-off - it has happened without fail ever since Mac 1, except for the play-off final year. I am not saying that the club don't want promotion, because that would be stupid. But do some of players know that if we are promoted, they will be out of the door? I don't know, but I find it hard to understand how we follow this pattern every year without fail.

Come on you Rams, you are better than this. Lets see it out on the pitch.

And yes, I am very angry.

Well Dave your match report was weak, just like our defence, unlike them you never blamed the ref once. LOL
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:25 am

mcsilks wrote:28% possession against a side struggling against relegation.

Folks are saying that we can't blame GR. Why?

Is he somehow blameless because its his first full season?

We are still in a good position in this league, but it is not on the back of good performances. It is on the back of lucky performances. I said all along that this team will find its level and they are now starting to do that.

For all of you happy clappers that think we are a top side and have a chance of promotion, dream on.

I now realise why Hull were so desperate to get rid of Curtis Davies. For all of his good work, he has that one error in him nearly every game. He's just a carthorse. The same can be said of Jerome. A ridiculous signing.

We have stripped the team of its youth and creativity and replaced with dull, dour journeymen.

Boring, boring Derby. We are the laughing stock of the country for that Premiership campaign and continue to be for despite being one of the best supported clubs (though that us dwindling under GR), for our consistent drop of form in the latter halves of every season.

So just to get it straight, if we finish 4th it's because we were lucky and if we finish 8th or lower it's because we "finished at our level".

At least if that happens we'll know that you're sitting there with a massive grin saying "I knew it all along, I told them". Happy days
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:38 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:
    So just to get it straight, if we finish 4th it's because we were lucky and if we finish 8th or lower it's because we "finished at our level".

At least if that happens we'll know that you're sitting there with a massive grin saying "I knew it all along, I told them". Happy days

You're one of these happy clappers that thinks we haven't been lucky this season.

You probably think we're sitting 4th merely on merit.

Delusional, naive......what others adjectives could I use....

We are currently playing about as well as we can IMO and the results we are getting at the moment are about what I expect for a side with a squad that we have.

We are a mid-table side that have found ourselves in these dizzy heights, which has raised the expectations of those fans that are a little naive and think that we are actually good enough to be playing for a top 2 spot.

I would say that we are about 10~12 points ahead of our true position at the moment. We had so much luck that I still think that our end of season position may be above where we should truly be, and that gives us a shot of the play-offs.

What did you say when we played Sheff Utd and got played off the park......you said that we can't play against their style and we can't be expecting to beat them. They are truly average. If we cannot even play against that pedigree of side and you accept that then I pity you.
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:53 am

Anybody else think that Palmer was class in that first half? He looked a cut above and was full of energy and is not short of a bit of quality.

I think he could be a real gem of a loan signing in the run in and could provide us with some much needed quality.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 10:13 am

Mc, you're talking as though you have been proven roght, with a dozen games to go! I just wanted to know how you would respond IF we finished in the top four because I'm sure that you will put it down to luck, despite saying that we will "finish our level" while we're on a bad run.

Being a happy clapper isn't an insult so I'll take it because the alternative seems to be somebody like yourself who is so determined to knock the team that they will emphasise negatives even when we win 3-0 away from home.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14331
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 10:45 am

McS. When we lost at Sheff U they were top 2. If they are truly average what did that say about all of the teams below them?
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14331
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 10:54 am

Their 1st, worldy BUT how in hell did we decide to give someone THAT much space just outside the box?

3rd? What was Baird up to?

Our 2nd. Was that Keogh's first away goal for us?
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 684
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 11:49 am

MadAmster wrote:McS. When we lost at Sheff U they were top 2. If they are truly average what did that say about all of the teams below them?

At Bramhall Lane we played badly with a bizarre JR own goal thown in for good measure. The blunts were on a roll with Coutts playing well at that time. They looked ok on the day but not like a top champ team; we played badly.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5565
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 12:07 pm

...and here's me thinking that 34 games is a representative sample for us to be just about where we deserve to be. I must apologise, how foolish of me - I should obviously be using the last 6 or 10 game "form table" as the true picture.

I'm just off to detention for an hour.....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Apr 2018, 7:59 pm