COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Infamy, Infamy, They've got it in for me...............

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4845
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Infamy, Infamy, They've got it in for me...............

Post by SawleyRam on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:23 am

rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2271
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Re: Infamy, Infamy, They've got it in for me...............

Post by rob on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:50 am

he is his number one fan after all

didn't take boro too long to ditch him and he is on fulhams bench - cant all be wrong
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14637
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:06 pm

Cyrus O'Christie's a football genius LOL roll
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 279
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:33 pm

I agree with Christie. When he was at Derby, the fans did make him the scapegoat on many occasions.

I always thought he was a useful player as he offered a threat going forward. Granted, he wasn't the greatest defender, but nowadays, the modern full back is as much about what they can offer offensively.

I'd actually take him above anything we have on the right side at the minute as we are crying out for someone to get at the opposition players who can provide us with some width.
    asotrsott

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Derby V Telford Utd 1984
    Number of posts : 453
    Registration date : 2013-07-05

Cyrus

Post by asotrsott on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:57 pm

I agree with you Mcsilks! I thought he was quite handy in defence and could cross a ball at least!
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 8:05 pm

Even said in one interview that he had never been taught how to defend.......
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:35 pm

Christie was a decent footballer for us.

Fulham bought him to replace Sessignon as they thought that he was going to Spurs in January. When Sessignon does leave Fulham they will be likely to play Christie.

I believe that's why Christie is currently in Fulham's reserves.
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:58 pm

Maybe this raises a much larger question.

Are the Derby fans in part responsible for the clubs lack of ability to get it right on the pitch over the last few years?

Derby's inability not only to put out a team capable of getting promotion but their ability to buy good players and then suddenly they miraculously turn into bad ones.

The fans are very quiet. The fans rarely get particularly vocal. I accept this is a problem at other clubs, but clubs like Burnley, Palace, Leicester (even before the clappers) and others have much more vocal fans.

The Derby fans are incredibly quick to get on the backs of players. Keogh's mental strength has to be applauded as he has been the scapegoat on many occasions but appears to have come out a better player. Many fans still get on his back however.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1802
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 12:44 am

KeoghKeogh wrote:Christie was a decent footballer for us.

Fulham bought him to replace Sessignon as they thought that he was going to Spurs in January. When Sessignon does leave Fulham they will be likely to play Christie.

Sessignon plays left wing..not right back. Fredricks plays right back!
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 7:44 am

valakari wrote:
    KeoghKeogh wrote:Christie was a decent footballer for us.

Sessignon plays left wing..not right back. Fredricks plays right back!

Stranger things have happened.........

Might even be some logic to it. Coaches love putting wingers on their "wrong side". CC is a right footed, right back with pace who loves to attack. Put him on the left wing to cut inside and shoot with his right and, when play is down the right, you have a 6' 2" player who can head a ball coming in to the far post......

Possibly not a solution I would use in this case but......
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 12:35 pm

mcsilks wrote:Maybe this raises a much larger question.

Are the Derby fans in part responsible for the clubs lack of ability to get it right on the pitch over the last few years?

Derby's inability not only to put out a team capable of getting promotion but their ability to buy good players and then suddenly they miraculously turn into bad ones.

The fans are very quiet. The fans rarely get particularly vocal. I accept this is a problem at other clubs, but clubs like Burnley, Palace, Leicester (even before the clappers)  and others have much more vocal fans.

The Derby fans are incredibly quick to get on the backs of players. Keogh's mental strength has to be applauded as he has been the scapegoat on many occasions but appears to have come out a better player. Many fans still get on his back however.

A footballer is in the public eye and gets paid an awful lot of money for amongst other things to be mentally strong.

Those that don't make the grade that they think they are entitled to blame others for their own shortcomings.

If they can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 1:02 pm

SawleyRam wrote:

The fans are very quiet. The fans rarely get particularly vocal. I accept this is a problem at other clubs, but clubs like Burnley, Palace, Leicester (even before the clappers)  and others have much more vocal fans.

A footballer is in the public eye and gets paid an awful lot of money for amongst other things to be mentally strong.

Those that don't make the grade that they think they are entitled to blame others for their own shortcomings.

Footballers do not get paid for being mentally strong.

Irrespective of how much they get paid, they should not have to put up with abuse from fans.

From your remarks, I can only surmise that you are one of these morons that likes to channel their frustrations towards individuals.
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 11:12 pm

mcsilks wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:

Irrespective of how much they get paid, they should not have to put up with abuse from fans.

From your remarks, I can only surmise that you are one of these morons that likes to channel their frustrations towards individuals.

Your remarks are deeply offensive Mcsilks against somebody who dare to think differently to you. This forum allows you to put forward  your alternative thinking without name calling and gives you a voice, a generous facility that you now abuse. Shame on you.
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5660
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 11:17 pm

mcsilks wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:

Of course they do.

There are hundreds if not thousands of footballers as gifted as the ones who make the grade, but for whatever reason do not have the mental fortitude or self belief, call it what you will, to succeed as a professional.

If they made a mistake on an assembly line, probably one or two would nail them - including work mates and their immediate supervisors. That's why they get paid a thousand times less for doing their job.
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 1:39 am

Stockport Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:

Of course they do.

There are hundreds if not thousands of footballers as gifted as the ones who make the grade, but for whatever reason do not have the mental fortitude or self belief, call it what you will, to succeed as a professional.

If they made a mistake on an assembly line,  probably one or two would nail them - including work mates and their immediate supervisors.  That's why they get paid a thousand times less for doing their job.

Sorry, but I cannot accept that mental strength is a prerequisite for being a professional footballer.

Granted, there are many gifted players who don't make the grade, but there are many players who don't possess a lot of mental strength and have made a top career in professional football.

Are you saying that to be a professional footballer, you have to be able to take being insulted by the watching public? Is that really what you are saying?!
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5660
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 6:58 am

mcsilks wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:

Of course they do.

If they made a mistake on an assembly line,  probably one or two would nail them - including work mates and their immediate supervisors.  That's why they get paid a thousand times less for doing their job.

Sorry, but I cannot accept that mental strength is a prerequisite for being a professional footballer.

Granted, there are many gifted players who don't make the grade, but there are many players who don't possess a lot of mental strength and have made a top career in professional football.

Are you saying that to be a professional footballer, you have to be able to take being insulted by the watching public? Is that really what you are saying?!  

No.

I'm saying you have to be mentally strong enough to take it without it affecting your game.
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 7:14 am

CC is a quiet character who would have done better when he made mistakes in games with a bit more encouragement and support from a certain more experienced defensive colleague. What CC got was the usual pantomime show when he made any mistakes (and sometimes when he didn't). As would be expected, the pantomime didn't help CC.

A ex-manager who had both of them in his team (not ours) told me a few year ago that he rated CC as one of the best FBs in the CShip (then). He also said that he 'just didn't get' the other character and thought that he was error prone.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11586
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 11:07 am

Everyone is different, which many fans don't get. Some players respond to being loved and some people respond to criticism but the fans never differentiate. Christie was clearly the former, personally I tended to coast if people told me how good I was, but if they gave me a hard time I wanted to show them.

In the olden days Brian Clough clearly understood this difference and crowds weren't as critical as they are now so it worked, nowadays a manager cannot build a player up if the crowd are against them no matter what he does.
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 10:52 pm

mcsilks wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:

Of course they do.

Just a question Mcsilks, have you ever played this game at any reasonable level? I know of at least two on this forum have and I make three. If you think that mental strength is not a major part of this game lets put it to a vote.
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:20 pm

SawleyRam wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:

Of course they do.

Just a question Mcsilks, have you ever played this game at any reasonable level? I know of at least two on this forum have and I make three. If you think that mental strength is not a major part of this game lets put it to a vote.

I have never said that it isn't a major part of the game, only that it is not the be and end all. You suggest that if you lack mental strength, then you will never succeed in professional football, and I think you can carve out a decent career for yourself even of you don't have huge amounts of mental strength.

There are examples of sportsmen who have got right to the top of their sport, but who have lacked the mental strength to win the very highest honours.

I have played sport at a reasonable level though not football unless you count playing left back for Cromford juniors to be a major level.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Jul 2018, 3:40 am