Them 0-0 Derby reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16149
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Them 0-0 Derby reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 4:47 pm

Injuries forced two major changes to the Derby side that drew with QPR. Johnson played in
    midfield as both Ledley and Thorne have been ruled out for weeks. Anya played wide left
    instead of Lawrence, who moved to the number ten role instead of Palmer (Vydra is injured).
    Three young Rams, Bogle, Hanson and Thomas, joined the bench.
    Our opponents were at full strength.
          Carson
          Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth
          Huddlestone Johnson
          Weimann Lawrence Anya
          Nugent
          subs - Roos Bogle Pearce Hanson Palmer Thomas Jerome

The match was open and end to end from the start as usual, though Derby were patient when
    retaining the ball in their own half. The Rams pressed their opponents harder than they often
    do and as a result they had more possession, but they couldn’t make any clear cut chances and
    their shots were blocked. The home side’s long balls were well defended by Derby but their fast
    forward runs were more dangerous. Davies, Keogh and Huddlestone had to make  important
    interceptions and blocks.

After 20 minutes, the home side had  more possession than Derby with some quick passing
    moves and attacks down the wings, mainly through Lolley. The home side had very few shots
    and none target.The Rams attacks tended to peter out quickly or go backwards when they
    couldn’t make an opening. Lawrence was booked for diving after he lost the ball in midfield.
    There were lots of fouls throughout the half, but none were violent, and the referee wisely
    allowed the play to flow as much as possible. Derby had a better spell after thirty minutes.
    Many of their best moves started with long balls by Huddlestone to Weimann. Pantilimon
    made two excellent saves from shots by Nugent and Lawrence, assisted by Weimann, and
    another from the following corner, an excellent cross by Lawrence. The half ended with a free
    kick to the home side near the Derby box but they failed to get a shot on target again.
    HT Them 0-0 Derby

The first attack of the second half was a fast break and good pass by Brereton, which drew a
    brave save from Carson to smother the ball at the attacker’s feet. After ten minutes’ defending,
    Derby took the game to the home side, with Anya, Weimann, Lawrence and Wisdom linking
    well on the right. It was a brief spell and the home side resumed their attacks, which the Rams
    defended well. Palmer and Jerome replaced Anya and Nugent on 65 minutes.

Palmer had an immediate positive influence, causing problems with high quality close control.
    The Rams pushed forward in a narrow 4-1-4-1 formation and stretched the home side’s defence,
    forcing lots of blocks and corners. Huddlestone was sent off on 81 minutes for two yellow cards,
    both for fouls on Tomlin. The second card, coming just three minutes after the first, was harsh
    as it appeared to be as much a dive as the one which got Lawrence booked. Hanson replaced
    Huddlestone in midfield with Lawrence going off. The home side attacked down the right flank
    but good Derby defending prevented any crosses. The defences were on top for most of the
    match. The home side managed just 5 shots (0 on target) to Derby’s 15 (2 on target). Derby
    were the better side but in the end a draw wasn’t the worst result for a depleted team.
    FT Them 0–0 Derby

The draw keeps Derby 5th, 6 points behind Fulham (68), and a point ahead of Boro (61).
    Wolves (76), Cardiff (73) and Villa (69) all have a game in hand over the chasing pack.

valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1802
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Re: Them 0-0 Derby reports and comments

Post by valakari on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 5:31 pm

What does Palmer have to do to start..especially with no Vydra...he makes a positive difference. Maybe play him with Johnson as no Thorne, Ledley or Huddlestone for next match!
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2795
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 5:37 pm

Why isn't Vydra playing?
    RRC
    Admin

Post by RRC on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 5:57 pm

Calif_Ramette wrote:Why isn't Vydra playing?

He must be injured - and may have been carrying an injury for a while,
    which is probably why he has rarely played 90 minutes lately.

Hope he's fit for Cardiff next week! Fingers crossed

Mitten State Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 771
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 6:04 pm

Got some real problems at DM now.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11586
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 6:11 pm

How poor were Forest!!!!!?

Only one team deserved or tried to win the game. I think that they thought that they got points for how many of our players they could get booked and I can only assume that somebody said to Lee Tomlin we want you to become a forest legend like Kenny Burns and Andy Ried and he thought they meant with a knife and fork.

No point talking about the sending off because there is no discussion to be had but I thought it was a decent performance whilst still rarely looking like scoring. If we can solve that then role on the play offs.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 7:59 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:How poor were Forest!!!!!?

Only one team deserved or tried to win the game. I think that they thought that they got points for how many of our players they could get booked and I can only assume that somebody said to Lee Tomlin we want you to become a forest legend like Kenny Burns and Andy Ried and he thought they meant with a knife and fork.

No point talking about the sending off because there is no discussion to be had but I thought it was a decent performance whilst still rarely looking like scoring. If we can solve that then role on the play offs.

Well put, Loughie!

We played our usual minimalist style, so the Reds can boast about loads of possession, but as often happens, we didn't let them do anything with it, hence the zero shots on target. However, what has become apparent to me in recent matches, and in reality has been a problem for years, is our inability to make more than three or four passes for most of the game. While the opposition seem to be able to play the ball to feet (or to head), we seem to only play the ball vaguely in the same area as one of our players. So instead of running on to the ball and maintaining momentum, we have to adjust our stride or direction to retrieve the ball, and then decide what to do from then onwards. Just what could we do if we could "free-flow" the ball up the pitch, and maintain possession that way?

Yes it did seem like their entire game plan was to wind Derby players up - note the number of hefty challenges on Tom Lawrence, knowing that if wound up he is likely to come up with a rash or reckless challenge and go into the book. It actuaslly didn't work, even though Lawrence did get booked. Like Jerome's yellow card for "diving", he only fell to the floor because he had been fouled. It should have been a yellow for Watson - he would have been free to run through on goal. Watson committed about 5 yellow card offences, so shouldn't have been on the pitch by the time Huddlestone suffered his injustice. He was also in the ref's face all game long, and along with Tomlin constantly hacked Palmer to the ground after he came on. And if Lawrence was booked for diving, why wasn't Tomlin. Bet once more the ref decided to book the wrong man. There was virtually no contact from Tom on fatty boy apart from his hand brushing Tomlins shoulder, by which time Tomlin was already bracing himself for the first bounce of several!

For most of the match we pretty much held our own, but our efficiency is beginning to show itself because we managed 15 attempts on goal with very limited possession. However once Casey Palmer came on the game turned right round, and suddenly it was Derby with the possession, and we were all over the Trees. Rowett bemoans the fact that we looked to be on the verge of breaking through when the ref made his mistake, and we were down to 10 men and having to change our game plan. Perhaps if he actually started Casey Palmer so he has at least the first 60 or 70 minutes to do his magic, it would be a different story. Then we are on the front foot and have a great chance of getting ahead and controlling the game, instead of holding the opposition at bay hand hoping to nick a goal or two. It might not work, but Palmer has changed the whole complexion of the game when he has come on.

I like Rowetts way of being "one of us" - getting stuck in with the cheating, diving Watson and Tomlin at the end of the match, having a right good go at the match officials, and waving 4 fingers at the forest fans - yes, it was four, not two, just that the camera angle didn't show it. And it was because we have taken 4 points off the Trees this season. And in his post match interview on Sky he said "this was Forest's last big match for this season, but every game ahead of the Rams is a big match". Go on then, Gary, rub it in!!!!!
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 8:29 pm

With a handful of exceptions, it was a dull game between what looked like two mid-table championship teams. As folks have said, Casey looked promising again.

Some of the refs decisions were right and some wrong. I don't think that Lawrence dived. I don't think that Huddlestone's second yellow was a yellow.

We were the better team of the two - but not by much.

Sorry if I sound bored or frustrated - but that was one of our most important games of the season (v Forest and we needed 3 points).

I haven't moaned about GR or our collective performance previously, but our lack of quality and flair pre- Palmer got us what we deserved: nothing.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14637
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 9:21 pm

Blood and guts tackles made sure there wouldn't be much football. Only one side tried to win and it wasn't them.

The ref? Absolutely chuffin awful. How only 1 red card was waved is amazing. he let all sorts of things go. Pushing people over appeared to no longer be an offence. At least 3 of them should have had multiple yellows. For us, Hudds got 2 and could have had more. Same goes for BJ and Fozzy.

Ref lost the game early doors. Giving fouls that weren't, not giving fouls that were. Going out of his way to not card players. He let them think they could get away with everything and so they carried on. He needs a refresher course or sacking.
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 279
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:02 am

A fair result in a very average game where the only moments in quality came from our second choice loan signing.

Hudd unlucky to get the red card, but could and probably should have been booked earlier. Timing in the tackle is not his strongest asset.

I thought Wisdom had a decent game despite giving the ball away a couple of times in his own area.

The results around us are in our favour with the sides just below us all losing. We really do just need a break as our performances are not terrible.

We are not deserving to lose games, but at the same time, we are not really doing enough to be deserving of 3 points.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23342
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 2:05 am

I don’t think he started Palmer because he was worried about his temperament in those first 20 minutes when it’s wild and wooly and players are diving in.
    It actually wasn’t that hectic as a local Derby goes but if that was Rowetts thinking I would have agreed with him.

valakari

Post by valakari on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 8:48 am

Palmer has way too much ability for Rowetts liking...he doesn't like flair etc...but I would start Palmer every week. Perfect opportunity to change formation this week as we won't have any defensive midfielders available...he will just have to trust Palmer..unless he is going to play Baird and Hanson against Cardiff..and hand them 3 points??!
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 8:55 am

Another possible explanation is that Palmer is not yet fit enough to start Tuesday-Saturday. Remember, he is coming back after a long layoff.
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3886
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 11:51 am

A typical thud and blunder game between two teams high on effort but low on quality. Had we scored in that frantic last minute of the first half I think we'd have won at a canter, but we're having no luck at all just now.

And we keep losing midfielders. With Tom getting a second yellow card, for a 'challenge' hardly worthy of the name, we're scraping the barrel for midfielders for the next game.

GR has to decide whether to risk starting with Palmer against Colin's thugs, or bring him on later. Not an easy decision.

Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    Number of posts : 782
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 1:35 pm

valakari wrote:Palmer has way too much ability for Rowetts liking...he doesn't like flair etc...but I would start Palmer every week. Perfect opportunity to change formation this week as we won't have any defensive midfielders available...he will just have to trust Palmer..unless he is going to play Baird and Hanson against Cardiff..and hand them 3 points??!
    Is Bradley Johnson not available?
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2435
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 4:10 pm

Bradley’s available but isn’t rated I gather by fans, thought Thornes injury was a minor one and it’s ledley who’s out for a bit?
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    Number of posts : 782
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 4:39 pm

Ram78 wrote:Bradley’s available but isn’t rated I gather by fans, thought Thornes injury was a minor one and it’s ledley who’s out for a bit?
    I thought both Thorne and Ledley were expected to be out for 2-3 weeks after their initial diagnoses. I may be wrong.
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3886
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Tue 13 Mar 2018, 3:32 pm

Jackal wrote:
    Ram78 wrote:Bradley’s available but isn’t rated I gather by fans, thought Thornes injury was a minor one and it’s ledley who’s out for a bit?
    I thought both Thorne and Ledley were expected to be out for 2-3 weeks after their initial diagnoses. I may be wrong.

That's the way I heard it too. And with JR now plying his trade in the USA and Big Tom joining the list of absentee midfielders it becomes apparent that things are a bit sticky. In fact, to paraphrase Blackadder, ".. as sticky for us as Sticky the stick insect getting stuck on a sticky bun."

Luckily we're not playing one of the most in-form sides in the EFL this weekend.

Oh...

valakari

Post by valakari on Tue 13 Mar 2018, 6:34 pm

Maybe Gary has a cunning plan...
    RRC
    Admin

Post by RRC on Tue 13 Mar 2018, 7:01 pm

valakari wrote:Maybe Gary has a cunning plan...

Do you mean Gary might have a another, different plan
    than the one that we and Brum have played every week?

Well, knock me down with a feather! :faint:

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 14 Mar 2018, 6:59 am

1-4-1-4-1 with Hanson in front of the back 4 against Caerdydd. BJ, Lawrence, Palmer and Weimann ahead of him?

Or BJ as the DM and Anya on the left? Pacy MF but a little lightweight.

We shall see what we shall see.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5660
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 14 Mar 2018, 7:26 am

you might be right with GTS, MA 1-4 1-4....
    valakari

Post by valakari on Wed 14 Mar 2018, 7:48 am

If Hanson is the plan..we're doomed
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4845
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Wed 14 Mar 2018, 8:26 am

Stockport Ram wrote:you might be right with GTS, MA  1-4  1-4....

So good he said it twice!
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 14 Mar 2018, 10:49 am

SawleyRam wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:you might be right with GTS, MA  1-4  1-4....

So good he said it twice!

Already predicted 1-3.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Jul 2018, 3:43 am