COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Vote: Is mental strength an important part of the game?

Poll

[ 7 ]
    88% [88%] 
    [ 1 ]
    12% [12%] 

Total Votes: 8
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4932
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 10:55 pm

A simple poll, either a yes or no answer.
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 845
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Re: Vote: Is mental strength an important part of the game?

Post by Jackal on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 11:02 pm

Definitely yes. Mental strength is important for any sportsman/woman to be the best they can be. If you can't cope with external pressures you won't get very far.
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 286
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 11:48 pm

It helps to have mental strength, particularly in the modern game where the demands of players are ever more increasing.

It isn't however a prerequisite to play professional football and indeed become successful.

At what level of professional football are you talking here?

The mental strength that a Manchester United player displays is likely more than what a conference player requires but again, even that is debatable.

To answer the question with a simple yes or no is too simplistic. A level of mental strength is required in everyone's life.

My son requires mental strength in a months time when he starts elementary school. Are you suggesting that he couldn't go if he doesn't possess mental strength?

What is success? Some claim that Lee Westwood isn't a successful golfer because he has never won a major. Does the fact that he has won 55 titles not make him a success?

Maybe the question should be: Can mental strength help you to become more successful? Yes

Is mental strength required to become successful? No, just having more talent than the next person should get you through.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14866
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 6:34 am

A resounding yes vote from me.

In sport you need it to get up, brush yourself down and start all over again when something negative happens. You can have all the football skill in the world but if you can't brush off your error, a teammates' error or a ref's mistake or can't handle going a goal down then you won't get very far in the game.

In life, it's the same. If you get a gold star for each of your first 4 essays at school and then not for the 5th, you need enough mental strength not to let it get you down and destroy your self confidence.

Whatever it is, if you haven't got "bouncebackability" you won't reach the top or anywhere near that level.
    whestonram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 7:44 am

Yes, of course it is
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5766
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 8:00 am

The question isn't phrased "Is mental strength a pre requisite", it simply asks "is it an important part of the game?"

The answer can only be yes.

The Lee Westwood example is an excellent one. I would argue that he has more natural talent than Jack Nicklaus ever did, but the gap between the ears, when it really matters, is huge.

The Open is littered with "Devon Loch's" - Doug Sanders, Jean Van Der Velde, to name but two. Professional golfers are only really interested in winning majors, they know it will be their legacy. Westwood should have won at least two.

Last edited by Stockport Ram on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 8:09 am

Stockport Ram wrote:The question isn't phrased "Is mental strength a pre requisite", it simply asks "is it an important part of the game?"

Yes, I agree with you.

The way the question is worded, the answer can only be a yes.

I think the thread was started though because I said that 'mental strength is not a prerequisite for a professional footballer'. I still say that it isn't. It helps, and those that possess more are likely to go further, but it is not a requirement.

Maybe the OP should have worded the question differently if, as I guess, he is trying to win over a debate.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5766
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 8:21 am

mcsilks wrote:
    I think the thread was started though because I said that 'mental strength is not a prerequisite for a professional footballer'. I still say that it isn't. It helps, and those that possess more are likely to go further, but it is not a requirement.

The Lee Westwood example is also a good one to support your view.

There have been great footballers with little or no mental strength - Gazza, Garrincha and George Best spring to mind. Their star wained, and they simply didn't make the most of their ability.

You have to have talent and an iron will to succeed in any sport.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14866
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 8:57 am

Stockport Ram wrote:

You have to have talent and an iron will to succeed in anything.

Agree 100%.
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 9:56 am

mcsilks wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:The question isn't phrased "Is mental strength a pre requisite", it simply asks "is it an important part of the game?"

Yes, I agree with you.

Maybe the OP should have worded the question differently if, as I guess, he is trying to win over a debate.

A supposition that only tells us of your way of thinking. It was put there to prove, that your way is the alternative view, not the view of the majority on here.

It is a debate that can take place without childish name calling because someone does not agree with your alternative path.
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 10:08 am

SawleyRam wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:

Yes, I agree with you.

A supposition that only tells us of your way of thinking. It was put there to prove, that your way is the alternative view, not the view of the majority on here.

It is a debate that can take place without childish name calling because someone does not agree with your alternative path.

You have however, not put a representation of my viewpoint on here.

My view is that while mental strength is required, it is not a prerequisite.

You have merely asked whether it is important.

I surmised that you may be one of these morons who liked to shout insults at players because you seemed to condone it by suggesting that players should be able to take abuse as if it is part of the game. They should have the mental strength for it.

Nobody should have to take abuse in any form of life. There is never an excuse for it. To condone it is just wrong.
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 11:57 am

You have however, not put a representation of my viewpoint on here. - That Mcsilks is up to you, the tools are available on this forum for you to organise a poll.

My view is that while mental strength is required, it is not a prerequisite. - That is your opinion mine is different
    You have merely asked whether it is important. - Well, is it?

I surmised that you may be one of these morons who liked to shout insults at players because you seemed to condone it by suggesting that players should be able to take abuse as if it is part of the game. They should have the mental strength for it. - Your supposition that I am a stupid and silly person is far wide of the mark and not the kind of debate that is widely appreciated. I do believe you entered the word "Abuse" in this conversation as I have never mentioned it. Yet another wrong supposition.

Nobody should have to take abuse in any form of life. There is never an excuse for it. To condone it is just wrong. - Then what are you doing by using the word "Moron"?
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:05 pm

SawleyRam wrote:You have however, not put a representation of my viewpoint on here. - That Mcsilks is up to you, the tools are available on this forum for you to organise a poll.

My view is that while mental strength is required, it is not a prerequisite. - That is your opinion mine is different
    You have merely asked whether it is important. - Well, is it?

I surmised that you may be one of these morons who liked to shout insults at players because you seemed to condone it by suggesting that players should be able to take abuse as if it is part of the game. They should have the mental strength for it. - Your supposition that I am a stupid and silly person is far wide of the mark and not the kind of debate that is widely appreciated. I do believe you entered the word "Abuse" in this conversation as I have never mentioned it. Yet another wrong supposition.

Nobody should have to take abuse in any form of life. There is never an excuse for it. To condone it is just wrong. - Then what are you doing by using the word "Moron"?

People who shout personal abuse at players are IMO, morons.

You condone it by suggesting they should have the mental strength to take the abuse.

To condone the abuse that players have to take in IMO, moronic.

I suggest we just leave this debate and put it down to differences in opinion. Agree to disagree

Hug

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 16 Oct 2018, 6:21 pm