a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

match OFF

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11533
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Re: match OFF

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 8:15 am

I can't believe the furore surrounding this issue, or the amount of coverage the whinging, whining taffys are getting. Games get called of in far more controversial circumstances than on Sunday without a murmur from anyone other than a few hard core fans who made the journey.

I'm sure that if we desperately wanted the game on we could have made it happen but in our circumstances why on earth would we? Our primary concern should be ourselves not one of our rivals, it really is as simple as that.
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 279
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 8:37 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:I can't believe the furore surrounding this issue, or the amount of coverage the whinging, whining taffys are getting. Games get called of in far more controversial circumstances than on Sunday without a murmur from anyone other than a few hard core fans who made the journey.

I'm sure that if we desperately wanted the game on we could have made it happen but in our circumstances why on earth would we? Our primary concern should be ourselves not one of our rivals, it really is as simple as that.

If that were the case, then they have a point.

Every club should do all they can to stage the games for the sake of the fans. How would you feel if you had traveled 3~4 hours to a game only for it to be called off, particularly if you felt the club were calling it off due to their injury list.

If DCFC called the game off due to adverse weather then fair enough. If is is found that wasn't the case, then they should be made answerable.

Fans are always moaning about the game not being about the fans. You cannot have it both ways.

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14511
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 8:48 am

Closed roads all over the shop in the Derbyshire countryside, yesterday afternoon, where lots of fans live.

As Dave said, lots of Cardiff fans stuck in the snow on the way home.

As I quoted yesterday, the game wwas called off at 08:30 following talks between DCFC, Derbyshire Police and the SAG............. on safety grounds.

Cardiff, and Colin, don't have a leg to stand on.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 9:20 am

mcsilks wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:I can't believe the furore surrounding this issue, or the amount of coverage the whinging, whining taffys are getting. Games get called of in far more controversial circumstances than on Sunday without a murmur from anyone other than a few hard core fans who made the journey.

Every club should do all they can to stage the games for the sake of the fans. How would you feel if you had traveled 3~4 hours to a game only for it to be called off, particularly if you felt the club were calling it off due to their injury list.

If DCFC called the game off due to adverse weather then fair enough. If is is found that wasn't the case, then they should be made answerable.

Fans are always moaning about the game not being about the fans. You cannot have it both ways.

No, the game was justifiably called off, in good time also. At worst Cardiff fans would only have been an hour from home.

Lets not pretend that any other club in our position would have done exactly the same, especially a club managed by Colin W*nker who leads the way in gamesmanship. Why on earth would we break our neck to get a game on when we are better served by justifiably calling it off, thats stupidity in its purest form.

I'm very much encouraged by their reluctance to play us when we have everybody available, if I was a Rams player I'd already be thinking that they don't fancy it.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 10:25 am

mcsilks wrote:

I was peeved at first when the 2012 Trees game was off, having flown in that morning. In and around the ground there wasn't much of a problem at all. Then I saw photos of the state of the roads in Ashbourne, Matlock, South Derbyshire etc. Way too dangerous for fans to travel in and a lot do.

No doubt in my mind that the right call was made again in this case.

The fact that it actually looks like the inclement weather might be beneficial to us is irrelevant.

Just had a thought while typing this....... we haven't really had the rub of the green of late. The 2 penalties against Bristol we didn't get, Anya's disallowed Millwall goal, QPR's late equaliser when BJ was pulled to the ground by his shirt by a QPR player so he couldn't make a challenge....... is this inclement weather caused postponement at a very fortuitous moment, the rub returning?
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3875
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 12:02 pm

I hope it is a turning point. We're certainly due some luck.

What I don't understand is why Cardiff fans travelled all the way to Derby without checking to see whether the game was still on.

Kick off was scheduled for 12 noon and according to the AA the journey from Cardiff to Derby takes about three hours (156 miles), so I'm guessing they would have left Cardiff around 7.30am.

The game was officially called off at 8.30am, so if the Cardiff fans had been checking the news they would have known it was off before they'd travelled much more than an hour.

Unfortunate, but hardly a disgrace.

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 12:11 pm

I heard one Cardiff fan complaining about the cancellation this morning, saying that some fans he knew left at 5.30 because of the bad weather. You work that out
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 279
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 1:13 pm

Lessons to be learned for both Cardiff and Derby here but the main one being that the game should have been postponed an hour or so earlier or certainly before the Cardiff fans would have been expected to have set off for the game.

As Loughborough Ram said, the postponement favours us with the injury list we have. Added to that our indifferent form and their great form.

It seems that the rearranged game will be something of a needle match.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 2:11 pm

mcsilks wrote:

It seems that the rearranged game will be something of a needle match.

It's us v Colin. That's always a needle match :)

South Stand Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1999
    First ever game : QPR at home 2003
    Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2015-08-05

Post by South Stand Ram on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 3:59 pm

Made me laugh that even after the game was called off Colin got his players on the coach to drive to the ground
    Bobbies Helmet

First ever game : Burnley away 1975
    Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2017-11-25

Post by Bobbies Helmet on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 7:42 pm

According to sky sports it was not A Derbyshire police decision but Derby Countys....the plot thickens
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5640
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 8:28 pm

I'm not entirely convinced it will be rearranged.

It now appears that we called the game off, (after consultation with them) or at least that's what Derbyshire Constabulary would have us believe.

Cue a fine, a technical 3-0 defeat, and possible further points deduction.

It could only happen to DCFC.
    Bobbies Helmet

First ever game : Burnley away 1975
    Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2017-11-25

Post by Bobbies Helmet on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 8:36 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:I'm not entirely convinced it will be rearranged.

It now appears that we called the game off, (after consultation with them) or at least that's what Derbyshire Constabulary would have us believe.

we await the EFLs decision on this one, but Derby have also complained about Colins comments
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 8:40 pm

Sky are only hosting this debate because it was one of their games. If it was a normal weekend game there would just be no story at all.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 6:16 am

Of course Malcolm..... I mean, police instructons advice are always trumped by the EFL.........
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5640
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 7:18 am

MadAmster wrote:

Of course Malcolm..... I mean, police instructons advice are always trumped by the EFL.........

I would, of course. LOVE (in a Keeganesque voice) to see us beat THEM 3-0 in the replayed match, just to see Colin's face.

If we've any luck, he might spontaneously combust...
    bramhallram

Post by bramhallram on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 9:09 am

Stockport Ram wrote:

Where's this story come from ? Any truth in the rumour that the Chief Constable is Colin's love child ?

Sydney Smooth

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1946
    First ever game : 26th January 1946 - Rams 1-0 WBA
    Number of posts : 1177
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by Sydney Smooth on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 1:05 pm

The cancellation was decided by DCFC in conjunction with the independent SAG [Safety Advisory Group] and Derbyshire Constabulary [who apparently can only offer advice on these situations].

I couldn't give a flying f@&$ what Colin Wanker thinks or says, his primary aim in life seems to be looking after Number 1 and I am convinced he would have cancelled the fixture if it had been a Daffodil Muncher's home game and the weather had been as per that in Derby on Sunday.

Finger leecamp Wink
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 1:57 pm

Their chairman has called for all 2,700 of their fans to be compensated by Derby County, f*ckin idiot. On what basis? The game was called off in good time, following all of the correct procedures, and therefore he surely has no claim other than he is a complete chancer.

RRC
    Admin

Number of posts : 16118
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 2:19 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Their chairman has called for all 2,700 of their fans to be compensated by Derby County, f*ckin idiot. On what basis? The game was called off in good time, following all of the correct procedures, and therefore he surely has no claim other than he is a complete chancer.

Was the 8.30 am announcement early enough?

Cardiff to Derby is about a 3-hour drive in good conditions on the fastest route.

Surely any sensible driver would have allowed a bit longer after all the snow
    in South Wales and therefore they could well have set off before 8.30 am?
    They might not be glued to local radio while driving, so not aware of the news.

I'm not suggesting that DCFC should compensate anyone but the timings for that
    particular match, kicking of at 12 noon, are far from ideal. Maybe Sky should pay?

New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23294
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 2:27 pm

Clearly their fans should be compensated at the revised fixture.
    I propose the first 500 fans through the gate are given a free black and white commerative bobble head Santa. Maybe throw in some free Hot Chocolate and Marshmallows.
    And of course the PA system should be turned up full and cranking out “ Let it Snow” when the players appear out of the tunnel.

bramhallram

Post by bramhallram on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 2:42 pm

RRC wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:Their chairman has called for all 2,700 of their fans to be compensated by Derby County, f*ckin idiot. On what basis? The game was called off in good time, following all of the correct procedures, and therefore he surely has no claim other than he is a complete chancer.

Cardiff to Derby is about a 3-hour drive in good conditions on the fastest route.

particular match, kicking of at 12 noon, are far from ideal. Maybe Sky should pay?

In such weather conditions any sensible driver (or passenger) would have made a simple phone call to DCFC before setting off to check whether the game was on.

If the answer was "Not yet but it's in doubt" you call again at half hourly intervals.

It's not rocket science.

rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2228
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 3:04 pm

that sort of logical thinking might be considered rocket science in wales :-)
    RRC
    Admin

Number of posts : 16118
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 3:51 pm

bramhallram wrote:
    RRC wrote:

In such weather conditions any sensible driver (or passenger) would have made a simple phone call to DCFC before setting off to check whether the game was on.

If the answer was "Not yet but it's in doubt" you call again at half hourly intervals.

It's not rocket science.

If only a qusrter of those fans (say 4 to a car) phoned at half hourly intervals,
    that's a call every 2.66 seconds. Even with a short recorded message on the line,
    most callers would never get through to DCFC to hear it before they were due to
    set off for Derby in time for kickoff. Remember they had no reason to expect the
    match to be cancelled - I didn't and I live less than 10 miles from the ground.

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 4:04 pm

Sorry, I don't see why all of the responsibility lies with Derby County. If the match was called off at 11am then fair enough, but it was actually called off at around 8am, 4 hours before kick off so anybody setting out before then is taking responsibility for that decision in my opinion.

I'd also be interested to hear whether any football has ever been compensated (not just a refund for an inability to attend the re arranged fixture) when a game has been cancelled due to bad weather. I reckon if the situation was the other way round Mel Morris would be offering free coach travel to the re arranged game rather than bleating on about compensation like a mardy little baby.

As I said yesterday, I think that this is only still in the news due to it being a SKY tv game. Cardiff need get over themselves and move on, these things happen

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 4:40 pm