The term "Blind Faith"

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4845
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

The term "Blind Faith"

Post by SawleyRam on Thu 22 Mar 2018, 1:04 pm

The term "blind faith" has been used frequently on this (and other) forums as a derogatory term, why?

I along with others have been supporting Derby County since the age of 9 years old (1956) and still doing so. I must have faith but more so loyalty to the place of my birth, and, being in love with this game of football show that loyalty with support for my club and team. Is that "blind faith"?

Even in the good years of Brian Clough I questioned some of his motives but still gave him and the club the benefit of the doubt. Is that blind faith?

Through the bad times (the old third division) I was disappointed with how we got there but still gave the club the benefit of the doubt. Is that blind faith?

Back to the present with Mel Morris & Gary Rowett things are not how we would wish it to be but I give the club the benefit of of the doubt. Is that blind faith?

So for these keyboard warriors who refer to blind faith in the derogatory sense I say lighten up and and show some loyalty.
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 279
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Re: The term "Blind Faith"

Post by mcsilks on Thu 22 Mar 2018, 1:45 pm

If you are referring to me as one of those 'keyboard warriors who should lighten up and show some loyalty', then you should maybe look at the context in which it was used.

Just because you have shown what you consider to be 'blind faith' in the last 50 or so years you have been supporting the club doesn't mean that others shouldn't be expected to show complete faith in the club they support.

Did you give Maxwell the benefit of the doubt? Did you give the directors that almost ruined the club in the early nineties the same benefit of the doubt?

It's fine to give the club you love the benefit of the doubt, but it is not for you or anyone else to question those that don't.

My loyalty to the club is not in question. I have attended every single game that I have been able to, and still do that whenever I am back in the UK.

Just because I support the club does not mean that I cannot question the way in which it is run. Indeed, if I never question anything that the club does, then that would most certainly be blind faith.

When the club has let it's best players go, have you fully supported the decisions then? Have you fully supported every managerial change the club has made? If you haven't then you are contradicting yourself.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14639
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 8:18 am

I think we all have blind faith............ it will all come good in the end. If we didn't those still in the area wouldn't be at most games. Ex pats like me wouldn't have spent over a grand this season on seeing THREE games.

outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1342
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 11:59 am

blind faith rules celebration celebration celebration celebration
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4845
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 2:16 pm

mcsilks wrote:If you are referring to me as one of those 'keyboard warriors who should lighten up and show some loyalty', then you should maybe look at the context in which it was used. - I was not referring to you per se but the use of the term by you gave me the thought for the thread.

Just because you have shown what you consider to be 'blind faith' in the last 50 or so years you have been supporting the club doesn't mean that others shouldn't be expected to show complete faith in the club they support. - I did not consider it to be blind faith, I was asking the question if it was.

Did you give Maxwell the benefit of the doubt? Did you give the directors that almost ruined the club in the early nineties the same benefit of the doubt? - History now tells us what Maxwell was but it was not apparent before the discovery of his misdeeds, so no, there was no doubt to give him the benefit of at the time.

It's fine to give the club you love the benefit of the doubt, but it is not for you or anyone else to question those that don't. - So, by that logic it's not for you to question those that do!

My loyalty to the club is not in question. I have attended every single game that I have been able to, and still do that whenever I am back in the UK. - As far as i'm aware your loyalty has not been questioned.

Just because I support the club does not mean that I cannot question the way in which it is run. Indeed, if I never question anything that the club does, then that would most certainly be blind faith. - You or I have no say in the way the club is run, it is not us who own it. We only get limited information as with any business and there will be more behind the scenes than we will ever know, therefore a considered opinion either way cannot be fully factual.

When the club has let it's best players go, have you fully supported the decisions then? Have you fully supported every managerial change the club has made? If you haven't then you are contradicting yourself. - I have been disappointed at times but having been involved when younger I also know that the club cannot be blamed every time an unpopular decision is made.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16149
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 6:59 pm

These days the term "blind faith" is generally used as a put down - with good reason, I think.

How many widely believed "facts" have been disproved? Here are a few good ones -
    - The earth is flat? Nope.
    - The earth is hollow?  Nope.
    - There is or was a lost continent known as Atlantis? Nope.
    - The sun goes round the earth? Nope, the reverse - the sun is the centre of our solar system.
    - Lemmings jump off cliffs? Nope, they occasionally fall off but no mass suicides.
    - Humans evolved from neanderthals? Nope, they co-existed for thousands of years.
    - Dental decay is caused by tooth worms? You're kidding.
    - Most of your body heat escapes through your head? Only when it's the one bit of you not covered.
    - Ulcers are caused by stress? Nope, bacteria are responsible.

If history is anything to go by, a lot more things that we believe now will turn out to be wrong.

Most sensible people think about what to believe, not accepting everything they hear,
    read or see as fact - even many people who consider themselves to be religious do this.
    Cynics probably reject most of it - others just accept that they don't know for sure.

I'm generally with the agnostics - a don't know. Which are you?

Sermon over - back to sports.

MadAmster

Number of posts : 14639
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 8:27 am

RRC wrote:These days the term "blind faith" is generally used as a put down - with good reason, I think.

How many widely believed "facts" have been disproved? Here are a few good ones -
    - The sun goes round the earth? Nope, the reverse - the sun is the centre of our solar system.
    - Lemmings jump off cliffs? Nope, they occasionally fall off but no mass suicides.
    - Humans evolved from neanderthals? Nope, they co-existed for thousands of years.
    - Most of your body heat escapes through your head? Only when it's the one bit of you not covered.

If history is anything to go by, a lot more things that we believe now will turn out to be wrong.

Most sensible people think about what to believe, not accepting everything they hear,
    read or see as fact - even many people who consider themselves to be religious do this.
    Cynics probably reject most of it - others just accept that they don't know for sure.

You ask, we answer.............

My standpoint is this............. (in no particular order)

1. I don't believe that there is an omnipotent, loving, caring God. If there was one he would not allow people to molest kids, child circumcision, genocide and so many other things that are abhorrent in this world.

2. There is a minute chance I may be wrong. In that case my view is that any God who allows the sort of thing described in 1. above is not worthy of praise.

3. Organised religions are nothing more than control mechanisms designed to keep the unwashed masses in check. Go back as far as history allows us and there have always been Gods. The Egyptians had a ruck of them. So did the Greeks. The Romans were possibly the first to go down the one God route. Africans had many Gods as did the Australian Aboriginals and the North American Indians. The multi God route had one God for each different thing. Sun, rain, war, peace, love etc etc etc etc. The earthly representative of every God ever invented by man has had power over their "flock". Today is no different. Priests, Fathers, Pastors, Imams, Vicars and on through Bishops, Pope and whatever other roles the various churches have, have one thing in common. They are revered by their flock and wield some power over them. Not many folk believe the multi God system any more. God/Allah etc will go the same way sooner or later.

4. The whole "my invisible friend in the sky better than yours" thing is, IMO, childish nonsense. Christians all have a similar basic belief but the fine print varies. The many streams of Islam also have the same basic principles but they differ on the detail. To the extent that they blow each other up in the name of Allah. To me, complete and utter nonsense.

5. Heaven? Hell? Do what you like as long as you repent? Hogwash!

6. I don't feel sufficiently inadequate to need an invisible crutch to lean on. I realise that some do.

Having said all of that, I respect, completely and utterly other people's right to believe in their God and worship him as they deem fit, up to the point where that invades my right to a peaceful existence. Following the letter of the Law in some religions would see me put to death for my beliefs. I draw the line way before we get to that stage.

Last edited by MadAmster on Sun 25 Mar 2018, 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4404
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 4:17 pm

RRC wrote:These days the term "blind faith" is generally used as a put down - with good reason, I think.

Say again.... :faint:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Jul 2018, 5:33 pm