a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

That moment when.......

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14511
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

That moment when.......

Post by MadAmster on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 3:41 pm

...... you have turned off the sound on your phone so it won't ring and then Google Maps says you should turn back and take the next left............... and you are sat with 50 others at the Crematorium.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 768
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Re: That moment when.......

Post by Mitten State Ram on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 7:20 pm

Surely Google knew that you were sat stationary in a crematorium with fifty other people? What else would you be doing but sitting in a funeral? This is why we need AI, so that the telecommunications company creeping on us twenty-four hours a day can do so less intrusively but more effectively and conveniently.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14511
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 7:38 am

We do indeed need to have a long, hard look at how intrusive online media and apps really are in our lives.

However, the point of the post is to warn others who, probably like me, think that by turning the sound off on your mobile you have turned off ALL sounds. As I found out to my great embarrassment, that isn't so. Next time I wil actually turn the phone off completely.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 948
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 8:08 pm

MadAmster wrote:We do indeed need to have a long, hard look at how intrusive online media and apps really are in our lives.

However, the point of the post is to warn others who, probably like me, think that by turning the sound off on your mobile you have turned off ALL sounds. As I found out to my great embarrassment, that isn't so. Next time I will actually turn the phone off completely.

You might also think you have turned off your microphone and camera, but "they" can turn it on whenever they want to. The same applies to Smart TVs as well.

The innocent explanation is for marketing purposes so that "they" can send you marketing information relevant to what you have been talking about. I have often had this from Facebook and Amazon. Not long after a phone (landline) conversation about dealing with a blocked toilet, I found Amazon recommending me a range of sink and toilet plungers! How did they know?
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 766
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Wed 28 Mar 2018, 9:30 pm

Mitten State Ram wrote:Surely Google knew that you were sat stationary in a crematorium with fifty other people? What else would you be doing but sitting in a funeral? This is why we need AI, so that the telecommunications company creeping on us twenty-four hours a day can do so less intrusively but more effectively and conveniently.
    I've seen far too many films about rogue AI declaring war on humanity and sending cyborgs back in time etc. Thing is, give us a long enough rope and we'd probably hang ourselves.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 4:40 pm