Derby 1-4 Sunderland reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16149
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 1-4 Sunderland reports and comments

Post by RRC on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 9:51 pm

With Huddlestone suspended and some injured players returning, Derby made a number of changes –
          Carson
          Baird Keogh Davies Forsyth
          Thorne Johnson
          Weimann Vydra Lawrence
          Jerome
         subs – Roos Wisdom Pearce Ledley Palmer Nugent Thomas

Derby almost presented Sunderland with a goal in the second minute but Carson was alert to the danger.
    At the other end Weimann robbed an opponent, made a half chance for Jerome and then won a corner.
    Derby soon got on top but inaccurate, over-hit or telegraphed passes and poor control meant that they
    made no clear cut chances. A fine cross from the Sunderland right brought out the best in Carson but he
    was left stranded when Forsyth headed a Sunderland shot into the top corner of the net on 10 minutes.

Keogh had a chance from a Lawrence through ball to level the scores but his header missed and he had
    strayed offside anyway. The Rams were able to get behind the visitors’ defence several times, but their
    final passes were too poor to take advantage, and they offered less threat than Sunderland’s occasional
    counter-attacks. Too often Derby resorted to hopeful long balls, which posed no danger to Sunderland,
    and Johnson and Thorne rarely created anything for the forwards. On 36 minutes there was a typical
    Keogh error. Apparently not seeing Fletcher standing alongside him, the Rams captain passed the ball to
    him, creating an excellent opening to double Sunderland’s lead, which Fletcher accepted gleefully.
    Weimann rose above his opponent to head the ball into space in the Sunderland box. Vydra, who had
    worked tirelessly to no avail throughout the half, was quick to seize on it and lashed his volley into the
    net on 42 minutes. In extra time Derby had a let off when Fletcher shanked a sitter wide.
    HT Derby 1-2 Sunderland

Palmer replaced Lawrence, who had made no impact in the first half, at the start of the second. The
    second half started as badly as the first for Derby. Forsyth conceded a penalty on 49 minutes for
    McGeady to restore Sunderland’s two-goal advantage. Sunderland’s confidence was boosted, their
    attacks looked more likely to produce goals than most of Derby’s and their defence was good enough
    to blunt Derby’s efforts. Nugent replaced Thorne on 57 minutes. Fletcher had another chance
    unchallenged and hit the post and a Sunderland header from a corner hit the bar. Vydra had an
    excellent opportunity to score from a lovely Jerome cross but he blasted the ball over the bar.

After that the visitors were on top and Derby couldn’t get out of their own half with the usual result
    for Derby. A goal mouth scramble where the Rams failed to clear the ball gave O’Shea the chance to
    score his first goal for four years and put the result beyond doubt on 76 minutes. Ledley came on for
    Jerome on 83 minutes and Palmer moved forward. It was too little and too late to make a difference
    and stave off Derby’s equal worst defeat of the season. It helped to lift Sunderland from the foot of
    the table. Sunderland (14, 6) had twice as many shots, six times as many on target, as Derby (7, 1).
    Derby 1–4 Sunderland

The championship’s top three, Wolves (85), Cardiff (79) and Fulham (72), all won. Villa (69, 4th)
    play on Saturday. Derby (62) stay 5th on goal difference ahead of Middlesbrough, who lost to Wolves.
    The chasing pack had mixed fortunes. Bristol (62, 7th) drew, Millwall (61, 8th) won, Sheffield U (61, 9th)
    drew, and Preston (60, 10th) lost.

Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2795
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Re: Derby 1-4 Sunderland reports and comments

Post by Calif_Ramette on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 9:55 pm

I have no words other than embarrassing. The back like was utter shite, Captain Calamity strikes again, Forsyth's OG was needless. Midfield non-existent and minus one moment for Vydra strikers did jack with the few chances they had. At this point play the kids, they couldn't do any worse than what happened tonight. Utter embarrassing and a disgrace to the shirt.
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1341
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 10:01 pm

Agree that was embarrassing. Words fail me with derby... feel like ripping my flight ticket for Monday... utter utter shite
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 4036
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 10:14 pm

That was absolutely awful. Very poor initial team selection followed by abysmal performances from most. Forsyth, Keogh, Davies, Thorne, Johnson, Lawrence and Jerome were all absolute garbage. Only Weimann and Vydra did ok, just not good enough we won’t make the play offs
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2435
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 10:17 pm

Left after the 4th and wishing I left after the third, absolute shambles and ashamed to support a team with that little desire to fight and play after that

Rip it up and start again
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11586
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 10:21 pm

I cannot think of a single positive tonight, not one single player did anywhere near enough. The manager continues to refuse to change a negative system even when we are playing at home against the bottom club. Did we really need Thorne and Johnson or would it have been better from the start, to go with an extra forward, even if it's only to get some positivity and confidence into the team for this game only.

I felt before the game, that this was a pivotal, must win game. I haven't changed my mind and I think that we will look back at the end of the season and say this was the night that we confirmed our inability to make the play offs.
    asotrsott

First ever game : Derby V Telford Utd 1984
    Number of posts : 453
    Registration date : 2013-07-05

Post by asotrsott on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 10:52 pm

Forsyth not good enough at this level, but all bar Vydra were a bloody shambles.... Afraid Afraid Frustrated
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 782
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 10:55 pm

Perhaps part of the problem is that every other manager knows exactly how we are going to set-up. The only real changes Rowett makes are the fullbacks and a choice up top between Nugent and Jerome.
    outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1341
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 11:23 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:I cannot think of a single positive tonight, not one single player did anywhere near enough. The manager continues to refuse to change a negative system even when we are playing at home against the bottom club. Did we really need Thorne and Johnson or would it have been better from the start, to go with an extra forward, even if it's only to get some positivity and confidence into the team for this game only.

I felt before the game, that this was a pivotal, must win game. I haven't changed my mind and I think that we will look back at the end of the season and say this was the night that we confirmed our inability to make the play offs.

Agree on all but most of all tonight proved we not good enough for play offs.
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3886
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 11:23 pm

What an utter disgrace. The worst performance at PP for years. Since the game with Bristol City we haven't looked like a team. Just like a bunch of under-performing individuals.

If this is the best GR can get from his squad after such a long layoff he must be getting a bit worried about his job prospects.

valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1802
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 11:26 pm

I said once the luck ran out, the poor football would result in losses..and the fans would turn...and Mel won't stand for it...i also said Rowett would be sacked because of this boring shite football.
    If you get rid of your creativity...and best footballers...Martin, Hughes, Ince, Bryson...andcreplace with bang average players..then don't be surprised with the outcome!
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6382
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 11:49 pm

First time I've left a match early in 47 years watching the Rams.

It didn't help that the wind was blowing the rain horizontally into the West Stand and soaking me through just as I'm getting over the flu. About 6.30 this evening I considered staying in and watching it on the TV. I so much wish I had.

Was Johnny Russell totally underestimated? His drives into the box nearly always ended in frustration - but at least the were drives. Now there's aimless plodding and Captain Chaos - the sequel.

Vydra took his goal well and produced a couple of other decent moments. Weimann caused Sunderland a few problems with his constant running. The rest looked like frightened, arthritic, apathetic donkeys.

Now I'm just a bit worried for the club going forward.

FFP means that owners can only really splash the cash for their first two years. Mel did that and it's been completely wasted - maybe it was all too much of a Rush Rolling Eyes . Now the club has to be far more cautious, and I detect that Mel less enthusiastic to bankroll it anyway.

I think that this season was our 'now or never' chance. A few weeks ago I was so optimistic. Everything Rowett touched turned to gold. Now it looks like those wise souls claiming 'fluke' were right.

The problem is that this team are old. They won't get any better. To stay inside FFP we'll have to sell Vydra in the summer. We won't have any cash to replace him. I've heard a few say that we should throw in the kids, but having watched the u23s a lot, I honestly don't see any wealth of talent coming through. I can only envisage several years of mediocrity following this. And as we're a 'Premier League club' in all but league position we have massive overheads. The stadium, the academy and the training ground may well feel millstones around our necks for a while.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 12:11 am

I stayed right to the very end, not because I am a blind-faither - I stayed because I wanted to boo the team off at the end. Unfortunately so few fans had stayed that our booing couldn't be heard, especially over the roar from the Sunderland fans. And before you blind-faithers start banging on about never booing the team, or that it harms their fragile confidence, or that we should be loyal to the team: the fans gave tremendous backing right from the start, until the second goal. It was up to the players to respond and keep us singing, but instead they chucked a wacking great metaphoric bucket of water all over us. On the RD phone in, someone talked about us showing loyalty to the team, but surely that should see the players show some loyalty to the fans. After all, for the majority of fans to give these sort of performances would see them sacked within a matter of a few weeks, whereas the Derby players just keep on letting us down with no consequence whatsoever.

On to the game itself: in reality, after the lino gave us a good, correct decision within the first two minutes, I feared for the worse, and wasn't disappointed. The ref was absolutely terrible, letting three disgraceful clatterings on Vydra go unpunished (ironically Booking Vydra for his first offence towards the end of the match, mismatch. The penalty was a little soft, but was absoluely going to happen as soon as the Sunderland man headed for the penalty box. There was no need to have made that tackle, just as there was no need for Fozzy to lean his head at the ball for the first goal. However, there were two, probably three good shouts for a penalty for Derby, but none were given. It didn't matter - even if we had scored from the spot, it wouldn't have made any difference, we would still have lost - Sunderland could have scored 9 tonight.

We could talk about tactics or team selection, but again it is not important, because getting those right still needs the team to actually be bothered enough to make it work, and we simply weren't interested. Far too many players were way below their best, with Thorne becoming a big disappointment. I knew he wasn't up to his best early on in the season, but kept hoping that he would come through, but I don't think he will ever be the player we signed. Jerome was completely inneffective, and should never have lasted the 90 minutes. Lawrence should also have been taken off much earlier. I wanted Palmer on for Thorne and Luke Thomas on Lawrence. Ho hum.

In reality Palmer should have started - yet again he made an impact when he came on, and with Vydra was the only one who looked like he gave a damm. But as Rowett always did, he played "safe" and made sure we weren't taking any risks. But sadly, Palmer is the only player we have with any spark or flair to turn the game, so we go into a game with the ability to take the game to the opposition, but leave that ability on the bench. Why?

I might be going out on a limb with one or two people here, but I think we really miss Johnny Russell. His end product was often poor, but he was great at holding the ball up, not only holding the ball in one spot. He also had the ability to wander around and across the box waiting for an  opportunity to open up. Because the Derby way is to sell an influential player before we have  a replacement in position, there was no-one to take on his role. I know that he wanted out, but he could have been asked to wait until the end of the season.

Finally, instead of making fake offers of free season tickets, Mel should be seriously considering refunds for that. And sadly this sin't just an  isolated incident - we have had several nightmares this season. Come on Mel get your check book out. Or even better, get the players to get their check books out.
    Rams bottom

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : 01-11-1975 against Leeds
    Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2016-10-07

Post by Rams bottom on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 12:28 am

Really glad I didn't fall for the 'free season ticket' offer, seriously thinking of not renewing.......anyone else?
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 279
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 12:48 am

Why is everyone so disappointed?

Why is anyone surprised?

This performance really wasn't any worse than when we were winning games.

Our luck has changed.

I have been saying all season that we are a team full of average journeymen professionals. We were in a false position and at the end of the season, we will see that.

Bringing in players like Curtis Davies, Joe Ledley, Cameron Jerome is not going to result in anything other than bang average.

Just what has GR done that means he position at the club is so secure? He should have gone when he had the chance and MM must be cursing giving him a bumper pay rise and a longer contract.

We are a woeful team on the park and an embarrassment off the field. A true laughing stock of a football club.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1802
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 12:49 am

Well I renewed mine yesterday..in the hope Rowett will be gone and Martin and Bryson will be back!

chicken
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14680
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 2:06 am

I have no words
    Mucker1884

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10290
    Registration date : 2009-07-22

Post by Mucker1884 on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 6:07 am

CornwallRam wrote:

...It didn't help that the wind was blowing the rain horizontally into the West Stand and soaking me through just as I'm getting over the flu. About 6.30 this evening I considered staying  in and watching it on the TV. I so much wish I had.

Having made the opposite decision at around the same time, I'd love to gloat... but aside from the fact that I managed to stay warm and dry in front of the telly, I can assure you it was no more enjoyable, and no less frustrating!

Get well soon... and yes, that's both to you AND DCFC!! Ambulance

MadAmster

Number of posts : 14637

Post by MadAmster on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 9:22 am

We still can't fathom what to do against a parked bus.

We still try and tippy tap through the middle, the busiest part of the pitch.

On one of the rare times we went wide and crossed the ball we scored the best goal of the night.

Full credit to them. They parked the bus and hoped to hit us on the break. It worked. They also pressed us very well.

One deflected shot, one assist from a Derby "defender" and very well put away by Fletcher, a penalty that came from a tackle that never should have been made, totally stupid to try that tackle with his left, 4th from a total cock up at a corner, noone on the posts.......

Things can only get better........... can't they?

PNE will come at us on Monday and we will be much more comfortable under those circumstances

bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3886
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 11:30 am

MadAmster wrote:Things can only get better........... can't they?

PNE will come at us on Monday and we will be much more comfortable under those circumstances

I love an optimist but on current form I can't see why things should get better at Preston. They're a strong physical side in a decent bit of form, and are likely to be hard for us to handle.

Until we get some quality leadership on the field we'll always be on the brink of an embarrassing collapse.

Angus1

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2017-02-15

Post by Angus1 on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 11:33 am

Will Gary have the guts to do what is needed for Monday, he will change the 2 midfielders that is sure to make us better, he will change the left-back who he called out last night. Will he change the centre-half and captain?

The big problem last night the midfield pair were so slow and easily ran past our back four was exposed. Exposed on the floor, they are very suspect and under pressure Keogh's head goes, we have seen it before, this manager has learned the hard way.

Frustrating thing is same problems for 4 years not fully sorted out, Huddlestone and Davies have been good signings but the weak spots are still the same and they have been found out.

We will see on Monday whether Gary is a strong manager, or just another well spoken bluffer.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14637

Post by MadAmster on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 3:26 pm

bramhallram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:Things can only get better........... can't they?

I love an optimist but on current form I can't see why things should get better at Preston. They're a strong physical side in a decent bit of form, and are likely to be hard for us to handle.

Until we get some quality leadership on the field we'll always be on the brink of an embarrassing collapse.

Both teams going into this on the back of 4-1 defeats. We have just about everybody available and can revert to our version of bus parking which worked so well. The winless run seemed to coincide with us trying to play ina slightly more attacking style. In most matches it has been better to watch but the end result has gone.

Back to footbore and results is what I expect to see in the final 8 games.
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5660
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 01 Apr 2018, 10:27 pm

Perhaps I wasn't wrong about Captain Calamity after all. You know the saying, "when the going gets tough".....

At least there's always a positive to every story. I shouldn't need to show my aris in a disused Woolies warehouse any time before 2022. That's a great relief (to everyone).

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14680
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 12:29 am

Angus1 wrote:Will Gary have the guts to do what is needed for Monday, he will change the 2 midfielders that is sure to make us better, he will change the left-back who he called out last night. Will he change the centre-half and captain?

The big problem last night the midfield pair were so slow and easily ran past our back four was exposed. Exposed on the floor, they are very suspect and under pressure Keogh's head goes, we have seen it before, this manager has learned the hard way.

Frustrating thing is same problems for 4 years not fully sorted out, Huddlestone and Davies have been good signings but the weak spots are still the same and they have been found out.

We will see on Monday whether Gary is a strong manager, or just another well spoken bluffer.

Good post.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23342
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 1:47 am

chicken wrote:
    Angus1 wrote:Will Gary have the guts to do what is needed for Monday, he will change the 2 midfielders that is sure to make us better, he will change the left-back who he called out last night. Will he change the centre-half and captain?

Good post.

Problem is he could put in three youngsters tomorrow ..sign and play Messi on some obscure Easter Monday loan system and still get slagged off by a section of our miserable fan base.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Jul 2018, 3:37 am