Preston 0-1 Derby reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16145
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Preston 0-1 Derby reports and comments

Post by RRC on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 2:48 pm

After Good(?) Friday’s abject performance, Derby made five changes, two each in
    midfield and defence and one in attack –
          Carson
          Wisdom Pearce Davies Baird
          Huddlestone Ledley
          Weimann Vydra Lawrence
          Nugent
          subs – Roos Keogh Forsyth Hanson Palmer Jerome Thomas

Preston attacked from the start but the new look Derby defence dealt with the barrage
    of high balls competently. The Rams’ passing was slightly better than usual, but Derby’s
    attacks did not trouble the Preston defence in the early stages. Nugent and Vydra made
    a couple of chances from quick counter-attacks but nobody was able to take advantage.
    Davies and Carson were commanding in defence when the home side broke through.

From the middle of the half, the play opened up but the match remained scrappy. The
    referee awarded a very soft penalty against Wisdom on 36 minutes but justice was
    restored when Browne missed it. After that, Mr Harrington began to notice and act on
    fouls committed by Preston. For the whole of the first half, Preston had most of the
    possession and shots (Derby had no shots at all in the half) but could not capitalize
    on their dominance.
    HT Preston 0–0 Derby

Lawrence scored from a free kick on 52 minutes awarded fora push on Nugent. Ledley’s
    canny movement in the Preston wall ensured that their keeper only saw the free kick
    very late. A fine cross by the hard-working Weimann was just too far ahead of Nugent,
    who would have had the simplest of chances. Preston had opportunities to score from
    free kicks and corners but the Derby defence, notably Davies and Baird, assisted by
    Huddlestone, was strong enough to deny them. Palmer replaced Vydra on 73 minutes.

Lifted by his goal, Lawrence threatened to dribble through the Preston defence until
    he was pushed over. Moments later Palmer beat his defender in the area but his shot
    was just wide. Preston worked a few decent chances but their shooting was wild.
    Hanson replaced Lawrence on 89 minutes and Jerome came on for Nugent in extra
    time. Derby did better in spells during the second half, which should help to bolster
    their confidence if not their quality.
    FT Preston 1–0 Derby

The win, their first for nine games (since 3 Feb against 10-man Brentford), provided
    welcome relief for Derby and a 3-point cushion over Middlesbrough, who face lowly
    Burton at 3 pm.

Last edited by RRC on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 279
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Re: Preston 0-1 Derby reports and comments

Post by mcsilks on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 3:04 pm

Massive, massive win.

For all of their possession, they rarely looked threatening.

Huddlestone MOTM.

KeoghKeogh

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 3:06 pm

At least we won. Some awful passing from us in the first half in particular. CM looked very laboured again. A soft penno - but if Wisdom had started in the right position and kept his hands off their boy's shirt it couldn't have been given.

Lawrence was lucky to stay on the pitch after his bit of kung foo fighting in the first half. And lucky to be on the pitch for the second half after his lack of contribution in the 1st half. That said, he scored from his single piece of quality in the game.

Hopefully Davies and Pearce stay fit and we ease ourselves into some better performances and the play offs. Still a long way to go on that showing.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 4:24 pm

That wasn't a good advert for Championship football, with Preston not being as bad as Derby. Our passing was dreadful, and only managed to string 4 passes together on one occasion. Defensively we were OK, although I think Preston registered 13 attempts on goal to our massive total of none. However we did threaten, with the final ball, as ever, being poor. On the one occasion we did put the right ball into the box, Wisdom should have belted it - on target it would have been 1 - 0, but he chose to think about it, and then take a poor touch and the chance was gone.

Second half we came out more upbeat (how about trying that in the first half, Derby?), pushing up a little to counter Preston's high pressing game. This meant that we carried more of a threat, but our passing was still not good, until the goal, after which we settled down and started to play a bit of football. There could have been three red cards for Preston, with elbows to the face on Nugent, Lawrence and Carson, and as ever not even a single free-kick for any of them, even though Nugent had to have treatment and was clearly scarred from the foul. He did book Weimann for getting the ball though, so not all bad!

At least it was three points and a clean sheet, no matter how it was achieved, but still a lot of work to do with this lot, as KeoghKeogh said.
    RRC
    Admin

Number of posts : 16145
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 5:09 pm

Today's results have gone well for Derby (5th, 65 points).

Burton got a 1-1 draw with Middlesbrough (6th, 63).
    Brentford won 1-0 over Bristol City (7th, 62).
    Ipswich got 2-2 draw with Millwall (8th, 62).

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11579
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 6:25 pm

Not a good game but you can understand us being a bit nervy. The experienced players like Huddlestone, Ledley, Davies and Carson stood up to be counted.

They were a horrible side, nasty sly fouls and plenty of theatrics when we dispossessed them but it was everything I'd expect from a team managed by Alex Neil. A team built in the image of a manager in my opinion.

A welcome three points however we got them
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14612
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 6:49 pm

For all their possession and poor shots, did they ever look like scoring?

First half we defended stoutly and had 4 breaks all of which came to nought thanks to a poor last ball.

Second half better and we had them under pressure at last. Training ground FK routine I think saw us grind out a 1-0 win and the three points.

Back to not being pretty but effective. For the next 7 games that will do nicely.
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2789
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 8:34 pm

Glad to see the win, 3 points is 3 points. Sounds like a dull game and glad I didn't get up at 0445 to follow it.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5658
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 10:43 pm

mcsilks wrote:Massive, massive win.

For all of their possession, they rarely looked threatening.

Huddlestone MOTM.

...and a back four which looked organised.

Will GR have the guts to repeat the selection? I really hope so.
    whestonram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 10:48 pm

Calif_Ramette wrote:Glad to see the win, 3 points is 3 points. Sounds like a dull game and glad I didn't get up at 0445 to follow it.

Of course it wasn't dull. It was our first win in two months
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 771
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Mon 02 Apr 2018, 11:49 pm

We weren't good, but for the first time this calendar year we were lucky again. That arrests the downward momentum, at least. We'll need to start playing well by next Wednesday at the latest.
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3883
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Tue 03 Apr 2018, 8:37 am

Three points away from home and no goals conceded was much better than I expected after last week's horror show. The missed penalty was a turning point. We hadn't been playing well up to the time it was (wrongly) awarded, and had it been converted our heads may have gone down.

I'd like to see Palmer on from the start in our next home game. We carry a much greater attacking threat when he's buzzing around the opposition penalty area. If he can help us grab a couple of early goals we can start to relax and play with confidence.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 03 Apr 2018, 8:42 am

Back to 36% possession, 2 shots to their 19, 1 on target to their 3 footbore. Our recent inability to find the net in a series of 8 winless games when we finally tried to play a more expansive, but far from being gung ho, was put down to our being crap by many. We revert to the defensive base and hit on the counter and we win 1-0. The opposition's inability to score is put down to bad luck on their part or good luck on ours.

Can people please start to be consistent? We get 60% and have lots of shots, fail to score and lose and we are crap. Reverse the stats and we are lucky? That simply doesn't compute.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 03 Apr 2018, 8:48 am

A word on that penalty. With my ref's hat on I hope that I would have either allowed play to continue or to have a dropped ball just outside of our area.

I believe that I saw 2 simultaneous "fouls". Yes, Wisdom had a hand on the outsretched arm and the other on the shoulder of the PNE player. He shouldn't and it is an infringement. The PNE player had his right arm stretched out to prevent Wisdom running past him to get to the ball. Obstruction. In football, although some infringements lead to a direct FK and others to an indirect FK, no one infringement trumps another. In this case both committed offences according to FIFA Laws. Dropped ball or play on were the two options the ref should have used. The peanlty miss was pure Karma.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4845
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Tue 03 Apr 2018, 11:18 am

Nobody has yet mentioned Captain Calamity's replacement, not a MOTM performance but did his job as a stopper pure and simple, headed and kicked the ball, deserves to keep his place for the next match.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 03 Apr 2018, 12:01 pm

SawleyRam wrote:Nobody has yet mentioned Captain Calamity's replacement, not a MOTM performance but did his job as a stopper pure and simple, headed and kicked the ball, deserves to keep his place for the next match.

Absobloominlutely.
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 771
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Tue 03 Apr 2018, 12:37 pm

MadAmster wrote:Back to 36% possession, 2 shots to their 19, 1 on target to their 3 footbore. Our recent inability to find the net in a series of 8 winless games when we finally tried to play a more expansive, but far from being gung ho, was put down to our being crap by many. We revert to the defensive base and hit on the counter and we win 1-0. The opposition's inability to score is put down to bad luck on their part or good luck on ours.

Can people please start to be consistent? We get 60% and have lots of shots, fail to score and lose and we are crap. Reverse the stats and we are lucky? That simply doesn't compute.

The main element of luck was their penalty miss, which had they scored would surely have caused an emotionally fragile team to fold, just like we did with the early goal on Friday. We did defend better and held our shape, and like during our winning run the opposition shots peppering our goal were off the mark. But Preston did make some clear chances, and it would be hard to imagining the same performance bringing home points against Wolves, Cardiff, Villa, or Boro. If being in a playoff spot is going to mean anything we need to good enough to at least not lose to those four this very month, and to beat two of them next. That's the standard of good, lucky, or crap presently.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 03 Apr 2018, 1:16 pm

As others have said too, three Rams players injured by elbows. At around 70 minutes a cross came in, Carson went to punch the ball away and got caught by a flailing arm causing him to not connect correctly with the punch and a subsequent shot went well over. I have grave doubts that the ref would have blown had it gone in. Lucky for us it didn't ;)
    KeoghKeogh

Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Tue 03 Apr 2018, 7:52 pm

MadAmster wrote:A word on that penalty. With my ref's hat on I hope that I would have either allowed play to continue or to have a dropped ball just outside of our area.

I believe that I saw 2 simultaneous "fouls". Yes, Wisdom had a hand on the outsretched arm and the other on the shoulder of the PNE player. He shouldn't and it is an infringement. The PNE player had his right arm stretched out to prevent Wisdom running past him to get to the ball. Obstruction. In football, although some infringements lead to a direct FK and others to an indirect FK, no one infringement trumps another. In this case both committed offences according to FIFA Laws. Dropped ball or play on were the two options the ref should have used. The peanlty miss was pure Karma.

It would have been an interesting one for VAR. Another assessment is that Wisdom held onto their boy's shirt first - but that this was (I think) just outside the box. So direct freekick on the edge.

BTW Did you see Lawrence raise his foot into their boy's stomach in the first half? Near to the dugouts / halfway line. They got a freekick. Again, an interesting one for VAR - I think that he had a 50% chance of a straight red had it gone to VAR.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 03 Apr 2018, 8:35 pm

KeoghKeogh wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:A word on that penalty. With my ref's hat on I hope that I would have either allowed play to continue or to have a dropped ball just outside of our area.

It would have been an interesting one for VAR. Another assessment is that Wisdom held onto their boy's shirt first - but that this was (I think) just outside the box. So direct freekick on the edge.

BTW Did you see Lawrence raise his foot into their boy's stomach in the first half? Near to the dugouts / halfway line. They got a freekick.  Again, an interesting one for VAR - I think that he had a 50% chance of a straight red had it gone to VAR.

Both infringements started outside of the box.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 16 Jul 2018, 3:15 pm