Post by RRC on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 5:09 pm

After their 1-0 triumph at Preston on Monday, Derby made no changes –
          Carson
          Wisdom Pearce Davies Baird
          Huddlestone Ledley
          Weimann Vydra Lawrence
          Nugent
          subs – Roos Keogh Forsyth Hanson Palmer Jerome Thomas

Derby should have scored from their first attack against Bolton’s shaky defence but Nugent and Vydra
    coudn’t find the net. The Rams soon made amends, taking the lead with a fine Pearce header from a
    Ledley cross on 6 minutes. Bolton’s attacks were mainly route one, which seldom troubled Derby, who
    worked harder than they usually do at the start of games.

From the middle of the half, the game became a little flat, though Weimann, the most energetic Rams
    player, tried hard to create chances. Against a weak Bolton team, Derby’s passing was sharper and more
    accurate and their movement was better than recent matches, but their control in the box let them down.

On 33 minutes, Weimann made an excellent chance for Nugent with an intelligent pass, but Nugent’s shot
    was parried. Vydra pounced on the loose ball and scored his 20th league goal of the season. Bolton’s best
    hope was the pacey winger Robinson, on loan from Everton, who was strong enough to hold off Wisdom.
    This was the best first half from Derby at home for some time, bearing in mind that Bolton were very poor.
    HT Derby 2–0 Bolton

Bolton started the second half in a 4-2-3-1 formation (instead of 3-5-2) with Ameobi and Noone replacing
    Wilbrahim and Burke and they attacked at once, as they did in the first half. Derby’s play was scrappy until
    the 54th minute, when Davies’ headed pass from a free kick found Lawrence, whose wonderful strike gave
    the keeper no chance.

As so often, the Derby goal was followed by a spell of sloppy passing and dozy defending by the Rams.
    Lucky for Derby, Bolton didn’t manage to punish them, though a Noone shot was only just blocked by
    Wisdom and a thunderous Ameobi shot hit the post. Jerome and Palmer replaced Nugent and Vydra on
    69 minutes. Bolton kept up the pressure and Carson had to make a superb save at close range from a
    Beevers’ header.

Derby’s attacks were far less threatening against Bolton’s second half formation, though Huddlestone
    provided some quality passes. The visitors should have scored but a great block on the line by Davies
    denied them. Luke Thomas replaced Lawrence, who had given a mature performance, on 85 minutes
    and at once Thomas created a decent chance for Weimann. Derby held on well to keep a clean sheet
    but they couldn’t repeat their first half superiority over Bolton, who are 2 points above the drop zone.
    FT Derby 3–0 Bolton

Wolves (1st, 89 points) beat Cardiff (2nd, 80) on Friday. Fulham (3rd, 78) beat Sheffield Wednesday.
    Aston Villa (4th, 73) lost to Norwich. Derby’s win keeps them in 5th (68), and Middlesbrough (6th, 66)
    beat Forest. Of the chasing pack, Millwall (7th, 65) beat Bristol City (8th, 62), and Brentford (10th, 61)
    beat Ipswich. Sheffield United (9th, 62) lost to Barnsley.

Last edited by RRC on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

KeoghKeogh

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Re: Derby 3-0 Bolton reports and comments

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 5:47 pm

Another improved performance under our calm, credible new captain.

Long may this continue.

Lawrence looked interested and took his goal very well.

The only downsides from a decent performance were Nugent's weak finishing again and Jerome looking very average again.

DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 6:12 pm

Derby were not very good and Bolton were no match for Derby. It was an efficient performance where we did what we had to and not much else. It was like going for a drive in a Ford Focus when you have a BMW M Sport on the driveway. Having said that, there was no point in going flat out for 90 minutes and running up a cricket score when we are p;laying Wolves next match. So job done.

Alex Pearce was absolutely solid, with no messing about and no risks taken. I miss Keogh marauding forwards, but do appreciate the solidity we now have - apart from the tail end of the match when we not only took our foot off the gas, we had parked the car and gone inside. It was good to see Tom Lawrence being a lot more positive, and with better ball control could have done more damage, but much improved. I am glad he didn't cup his ear at the Derby fans as he did at Preston, which was a bit rich. He can do that when he has gone a run of games where he has performed well. Until then, take the applause when it comes and go out and earn some more.

Yet again I want to know what Casey Palmer has to do to get a start, as he has made an impact whenever he has played. I was also impressed with Luke Thomas, who was given a few scraps of time at the end of an already-won game, and immediately made an impact. Very direct, very no-nonsense. Dave likes!

The ref was fairly OK for the first 40 minutes, at which time the EFL must have insisted he put his Bolton away shirt on, because from then onwards the game was littered with really bizarre decisions, giving Bolton free kicks because a Derby player had trodden on their shadow. It made no real difference overall, but he was still poor.

In the end the game was won with 3 "can-be-bothered" moments by Derby, and little else. Having quite rightly save our energies for Wednesday, here's hoping it pays dividends. COYR!
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 771
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 6:51 pm

I thought we moved forward brightly; Tom Lawrence has regained confidence, Weimann is ever-industrious, and both Nugent and Vydra appear fit and ready. Nugent seemed relatively dangerous, and Vydra played well to in position for his tap-in. I like having Palmer as such a lively substitute. With the changes at the back we look more solid--back to where we were in December and January after shipping goals like mad for the last month. Psychologically, the Sunderland debacle seems to have been rock bottom and has elicited a reaction in the team. How strong the bounce-back will prove to be we begin to find out on Wednesday.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11586
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 7:25 pm

Two things and two players struck me. I think that Lawrence is a better, more confident player with Ledley in the team, and Vydra looks a bigger goal threat with Nugent in the team.

We controlled the game but they were very poor. Baird always brings composure as does Ledley and it's important at this time of the season to string a few wins together because second to reaching the play offs is hitting them with confidence and a bit of form, so maybe this was the right fixture at the right time.
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2795
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sat 07 Apr 2018, 9:08 pm

Keogh has been a great servant but I think this showed that his time should be up at Derby. If it is who knows but it should be.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23342
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 1:56 am

Bolton keeper is shi* should have saved Lawrence’s shot...

mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 279
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 3:13 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:Two things and two players struck me. I think that Lawrence is a better, more confident player with Ledley in the team, and Vydra looks a bigger goal threat with Nugent in the team.

We controlled the game but they were very poor. Baird always brings composure as does Ledley and it's important at this time of the season to string a few wins together because second to reaching the play offs is hitting them with confidence and a bit of form, so maybe this was the right fixture at the right time.

Agree with all of that.

With a pretty horrendous run-in, wins are priceless and at this stage of the season, momentum is key.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1802
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 6:46 am

Bolton are the worst team that have come to Pride Park this season. They had no energy, no fight and for saying they need points to stay up, no urgency! Total opposite to Sunderland, they never pressed us and let us have the ball. Derby won at a canter...was like a pre season friendly.
    God help us on Wednesday, as Wolves wiĺl be totally different. I just hope we get lucky!
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 7:19 am

valakari wrote:Bolton are the worst team that have come to Pride Park this season. They had no energy, no fight and for saying they need points to stay up, no urgency! Total opposite to Sunderland, they never pressed us and let us have the ball. Derby won at a canter...was like a pre season friendly.
    God help us on Wednesday, as Wolves wiĺl be totally different. I just hope we get lucky!

I can't believe they played in such a defensive formation. Did they not watch the Sunderland game. Their system played right into our hands.

Against sides like Wolves we may just be OK. They will play on the front foot and attack us. If we can stay solid defensively, we have shown we are more than capable on the break.

We have still to play Cardiff, Villa, Boro, and Wolves. To remain in the play-offs, I think we'll likely need at least 4~5 points from those games.

MadAmster

Number of posts : 14637
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 8:53 am

I will start with the negatives. Nugent. What were you thinking of with that 3rd minute miss? You chose to put it back to the near post with the keeper in the way when the near post half of the goal was empty. I would love to hear the explanation of that. For the rest, a business-like performance but after the 3-0 we stopped and offered them a lifeline they simply weren't good enough to grab hold of.

Carson - Did what he had to, which wasn't a lot. 2 good saves.
    The back 4 - Very Ashford and Simpson like. Solid.
    Hudds and Ledley - The one very creative and solid, the other almost invisible but always there when needed which is a sign that he did what he does very well.
    The 3 - Weimann everywhere, Lawrence had a game to remember and Vydra was..... well, Vydra.
    Nuge had a decent game apart from that strange 3rd minute "shot".

I hope the thoughts of other posters that they were saving energy for the midweek trip to Wolves are correct.

Not going overboard on this result as Bolton were atrocious.

The ref - a proper Jodrell. Poor. Very pro Bolton IMO. It will surprise noone when I say Darren England was also the ref who failed to give us those 2 penalties against Bristol City...... on the plus side, we have never lost a game when he has reffed us.

Onwards and upwards.
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3886
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:40 am

mcsilks wrote:
    We have still to play Cardiff, Villa, Boro, and Wolves. To remain in the play-offs, I think we'll likely need at least 4~5 points from those games.

Those four games could define our season. Either we win at least two of them and hit the play offs full of confidence, or we lose them all and miss out for another season.

Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 1:19 pm

Vydra's goal. I didn't cheer when it went in as I was expecting the Assistant ref's flag to go up..........
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    Number of posts : 782
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:16 pm

MadAmster wrote:Vydra's goal. I didn't cheer when it went in as I was expecting the Assistant ref's flag to go up..........
    I thought it looked offside too.
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:20 pm

Jackal wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:Vydra's goal. I didn't cheer when it went in as I was expecting the Assistant ref's flag to go up..........
    I thought it looked offside too.

Same for me on both counts. I was waiting for the assistant to raise his flag!
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4845
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:33 pm

Nothing has yet been said about that little cameo by Luke Thomas. He was like a breath of fresh air, strong direct and pacey with team awareness. It was only 10 minutes I know but the last time I saw a league debut like that was against Peterborough in 2011 by a young lad named Will Hughes.................
    KeoghKeogh

Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 6:29 am

He certainly looked decent when he came on.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 7:33 am

There was something a little Hectoresque I thought. Low centre of gravity, pace, ball control, not easy to knock off the ball.....

I won't be holding my breath in the hope that he emulates King Kevin but he didn't look out of place.

We also have others out on loan who have had a taste of 1st team life here and not done badly (Elsnik and Lowe among others).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Jul 2018, 3:42 am