a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

The run in.

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14511
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

The run in.

Post by MadAmster on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:31 am

Top 4 look nailed on for a top 6 finish. I suspect Wolves and Cardiff to take the auto spots. Fulham and Villa look good for the playoffs. That leaves 2 spots up for grabs. IMO 3 teams are genuinely in the fight for those 2 spots. Derby, Boro and Millwall. All 3 have a hard run in.

We have Wolves, Burton and Villa away. Boro, Cardiff and Barnsley at home.

Boro have Sheff U, us and Ipswich away and Bristol City and Millwall away.

Millwall have Bolton Sheff U and Boro away and Fulham and Villa at home.

Boro and Millwall have to face each other which is a bonus for us.

If we can only manage to win 2 and draw 1 of these last 6 games that will see Sheff U and Bristol needing to win all of their remaining fixtures and then hope Wall and Boro fail too which is why I discount them. 3 wins and a draw should see us safely in the playoffs.
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 279
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Re: The run in.

Post by mcsilks on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 11:43 am

MadAmster wrote:Top 4 look nailed on for a top 6 finish. I suspect Wolves and Cardiff to take the auto spots. Fulham and Villa look good for the playoffs. That leaves 2 spots up for grabs. IMO 3 teams are genuinely in the fight for those 2 spots. Derby, Boro and Millwall. All 3 have a hard run in.

We have Wolves, Burton and Villa away. Boro, Cardiff and Barnsley at home.

Boro have Sheff U, us and Ipswich away and Bristol City and Millwall away.

Millwall have Bolton Sheff U and Boro away and Fulham and Villa at home.

Boro and Millwall have to face each other which is a bonus for us.

If we can only manage to win 2 and draw 1 of these last 6 games that will see Sheff U and Bristol needing to win all of their remaining fixtures and then hope Wall and Boro fail too which is why I discount them. 3 wins and a draw should see us safely in the playoffs.

I think we'll scrape in but then, for the sake of another utter embarrassment, it's probably better that we lose in the first two legged affair.

Irrespective of whether we make it in or not, we are most ill equipped of the top 6 by a country mile.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23294
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 12:47 pm

Flogging dead horse

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11533
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 1:14 pm

Usual positivity from McSilks, wow what a shock LOL roll
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 1:32 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Usual positivity from McSilks, wow what a shock LOL roll

Bang head Surrender

mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 1:34 pm

Which part of my post do you disagree with?
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 1:34 pm

New England Ram wrote:

Bang head Surrender

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 1:46 pm

mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:

Bang head Surrender

The persistent negativity

rjrules71

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4401
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 1:49 pm

Sort of agree with macsilk on this one (scary or what Afraid )

At Xmas I was as renewed with vigour at the dizzy heights of second as anyone else, but as the season has drawn once again to its pale, etiolated conclusion, and with the prospect of 4 tough games ahead, I hope we don't go up for our own sakes.
    Watching MOTD each week and the gap between the lesser teams there and us, I fear for a season even worse than the last visit.

Newcastle who ran off with the CC, can thank god someone had the perspicacity to employ Benitz who has still struggled to get them to the 40 point hurdle.Brighton likewise with Hughton.

I doubt GR will have the werewithal to maintain us in the Prem, but I like the idea of us making the play offs, so that he will understand better the requirements for getting out of this league.

Maybe next season we will be better placed to make a proper assault Dunno
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 1:56 pm

New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:

Bang head Surrender

Just telling it as I see it, I really am.

I agree that this season, I have been more pessimistic than usual, but what I see doesn't give me any real grounds for optimism.

If that sounds like me being negative then fair enough....taunt me, ridicule me, call me persistently negative but it really is as I see it.

The players, the manager, the youth, seeing crap teams doing much better than us....it's just depressing and leaves me feeling negative about the club I love.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5640
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:03 pm

I agree more with mcsilks on this too.

Whilst we seem to have been able to build some team mentality, and IMHO that is down to the manager, the constituent parts of the team are, in crude monetary terms, considerably poorer than at any time since Nigel Clough took over.

They are also older.

The only player with significant value is Vydra.

We have lost better footballers, but ironically seem to have got a marginally better team.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:13 pm

mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:

Bang head Surrender

I agree that this season, I have been more pessimistic than usual, but what I see doesn't give me any real grounds for optimism.

If that sounds like me being negative then fair enough....taunt me, ridicule me, call me persistently negative but it really is as I see it.

The players, the manager, the youth, seeing crap teams doing much better than us....it's just depressing and leaves me feeling negative about the club I love.

We got your message MC.
    But for me to say you hope we lose in the semi to avoid embarrassment in the final ...really !!
    I’m going to say both Wolves and Fulham go up..not Cardiff.
    Should we make the playoffs I don’t see any of the remaining teams embarrassing us..they may beat us but I don’t see us getting embarrassed by anyone.
    Bristol..Reading and Sunderland have been the only three games I would class as embarrassing this season and that’s actually doing Bristol a disservice because they have been decent.

mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:16 pm

New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:

Bang head Surrender

We got your message MC.
    But for me to say you hope we lose in the semi to avoid embarrassment in the final ...really !!
    Should we make the playoffs I don’t see any of the remaining teams embarrassing us..they may beat us but I don’t see us getting embarrassed by anyone.
    Bristol..Reading and Sunderland have been the only three games I would class as embarrassing this season and that’s actually doing Bristol a disservice because they have been decent.

Did I say that? Please don't misquote my posts.

No. It is better for us to lose in the first game, to avoid a season like the last one in the top flight.

Teams that go up from the Championship have the basis of a squad that is prepared for the top flight. We don't. It's that simple. I don't think we have any player that could make the grade.

If we were to go up, it would actually be remarkably similar to the last time...and would likely finish with the same humiliating outcome.

Last edited by mcsilks on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:41 pm

mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:

Bang head Surrender

We got your message MC.

Did I say that?

No. It is better for us to lose in the first game, to avoid a season like the last one in the top flight.

Please don't misquote my posts.

“I think we'll scrape in but then, for the sake of another utter embarrassment, it's probably better that we lose in the first two legged affair.”

I’m not misquoting anything ..that’s the way it read to me.
    You said we would get in but it’s better if we lose in the semi to avoid embarrassment...the conversation was about the playoffs...no mention of the following season.

mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:45 pm

New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:

Bang head Surrender

We got your message MC.

Did I say that?

“I think we'll scrape in but then, for the sake of another utter embarrassment, it's probably better that we lose in the first two legged affair.”

You said we would get in but it’s better if we lose in the semi to avoid embarrassment...the conversation was about the playoffs...no mention of the following season.

To make it a little easier for you, I have edited the post so you will better understand what I was trying to say.
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 3:02 pm

Getting back to the run-in. We must be the only club that is only playing sides that have something to play for. Burton and Barnsley are both desperately scrapping for points with our last game against the latter quite possibly being one that will send them down.

And then just the matter of playing against 4 sides in the top 6.

If we were to come through that lot and remain in the top 6, then I would fancy our chances in the play-offs.

It's looking more like Wolves and Fulham. Villa's form appears to have hit a brick wall at the wrong time, Cardiff are beatable with their attrition over style football, and then it leaves Boro, who like Derby, are hot and cold.

Who knows...maybe our experience will give us the edge when it comes to those games that carry the most pressure.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 4:06 pm

mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:

Bang head Surrender

We got your message MC.

Did I say that?

To make it a little easier for you, I have edited the post so you will better understand what I was trying to say.

Yeah now that’s just being patronizing ..

You talk about the club that you love.
    Anything that caused me the misery that you portray I would have divorced years ago.
    Not just you but the negativity of portions of our fan base is fu**ing depressing .
    The fact that some fans were last week slagging off Preston’s keeper rather than give Lawrence any credit whatsoever for his goal says it all.
    It’s not the players inabilities or the manager or owner that will drag this club down.
    It’s the persistent negativity and misery being hurled at the club by a section of fans.
    It’s my own fault for reading the fu**ing comments..
    There’s enough negativity in this world to deal with without having to listen to it here.
    FFS everyone is entitled to moan and have their say but the manner in which it’s done is fu**ing diabilitating ..
    Personally I’ve had enough..Rowett must have been off his head to sign up for this shit..I’m glad the lads getting well compensated for it.

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 4:23 pm

Well said NER.

mentality that "I have every right to criticise and moan" is of course true but fans rarely realise that it has a consequence. I'm with you, this club has a huge millstone around it's neck, fan negativity. Nobody is saying that unconditional support is expected but I'd wager anything you like that the football club with supporter who support above all else would prosper far more than us, and our bunch of fickle grumblers
    whestonram

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 328
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 4:44 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Well said NER.

mentality that "I have every right to criticise and moan" is of course true but fans rarely realise that it has a consequence. I'm with you, this club has a huge millstone around it's neck, fan negativity. Nobody is saying that unconditional support is expected but I'd wager anything you like that the football club with supporter who support above all else would prosper far more than us, and our bunch of fickle grumblers

Don't let him get you down, NER. The way he changed his post to try to prove his point is typical. You can't have a rational debate with someone who twists his words and denies he's said what he's said. Much as his constant negativity and Colin worship winds me up, I've decided not to respond any more.

There's actually only two people on here who are relentlessly negative about the Rams. I think the rest of us are hopeful and wary, for good reason! I do agree with the wider point about atmosphere at the ground, as a group of 25,000 we are too easily downhearted, but given our recent history of disappointment I don't think it's surprising.

Personally I think it's nonsense to worry about how this team would perform in the Premier League because, in the unlikely event we do go up (I don't believe we've quite got enough this year) we'd see a wholesale upgrade of the team, with perhaps only three of four of the current first eleven .

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 4:49 pm

A common sense approach??????

Is that really whats needed right now Wheston????

Where's the burning effigies, where the noose waving????? Come,on get with the programme!!
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2774
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 9:38 pm

Burton are done for and so are Sunderland perhaps not mathematically yet. They basically need to win every one of there last 6 games and perhaps sacrifice a goat or something that the teams above them have an epic last season collapse.

Granted we did gift Sunderland 3 points in a shocking display that of course was one of the few matches I was able to see on TV. I think we will scrape through into the playoffs, barely. Depending on what team shows up will do well in the two legged semi, or shit our pants and then lose in the final in a heartbreaking way like we did to QPR. As much as I would love to see the Rams back in the Prem (and I even still have kit we wore during that season that must not be spoken of) this team is so not ready.

If we made it up I think only Carson, Vydra, Huddleston, Lawrence and Davis (maybe) are the only ones that could cut it. However that is talk for another day. Playoff bound is my prediction, whatever comes after that who the hell knows.
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 12:49 am

New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:

Bang head Surrender

We got your message MC.

Did I say that?

Anything that caused me the misery that you portray I would have divorced years ago.
    Not just you but the negativity of portions of our fan base is fu**ing depressing .
    The fact that some fans were last week slagging off Preston’s keeper rather than give Lawrence any credit whatsoever for his goal says it all.
    It’s not the players inabilities or the manager or owner that will drag this club down.
    It’s the persistent negativity and misery being hurled at the club by a section of fans.
    There’s enough negativity in this world to deal with without having to listen to it here.
    FFS everyone is entitled to moan and have their say but the manner in which it’s done is fu**ing diabilitating ..
    Personally I’ve had enough..Rowett must have been off his head to sign up for this shit..I’m glad the lads getting well compensated for it.

I will stand up for my rights to right about how I feel about our performances and the way that the club is going.

If you find that depressing then tough...don't read it.

It appears you want to surround yourself among posters on this forum who are painting pretty pictures about what we are doing as a football club.

I simply tell it as it is.

For the money that we have spent in the last few years (see the thread on 'the price of success), we should at least have some shoots of green light and IMO, we don't.

Is that not just telling it as it is?

All this ridiculous nonsense about Warnock. Those same fans that are calling me negative are the ones being utterly disrespectful to  Warnock. Sorry, but it is them that are in the wrong and showing a complete lack of class.

My guess is you are one of the many that thinks we are playing controlling football, are in 5th place purely on merit, and have a really great forward thinking manager in Rowett.

Wake up, stop feeling sorry for yourself, and don't let yourself be bothered about the anonymous ramblings of people thousands of miles away from you...particularly the ones who fail to see things exactly as you do.
    Life is too short!

COYR
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 1:59 am

mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:

Bang head Surrender

We got your message MC.

Did I say that?

I will stand up for my rights to right about how I feel about our performances and the way that the club is going.

It appears you want to surround yourself among posters on this forum who are painting pretty pictures about what we are doing as a football club.

For the money that we have spent in the last few years (see the thread on 'the price of success), we should at least have some shoots of green light and IMO, we don't.

All this ridiculous nonsense about Warnock. Those same fans that are calling me negative are the ones being utterly disrespectful to  Warnock. Sorry, but it is them that are in the wrong and showing a complete lack of class.

My guess is you are one of the many that thinks we are playing controlling football, are in 5th place purely on merit, and have a really great forward thinking manager in Rowett.

Wake up, stop feeling sorry for yourself, and don't let yourself be bothered about the anonymous ramblings of people thousands of miles away from you...particularly the ones who fail to see things exactly as you do.
    Life is too short!

COYR

Who needs a forward thinking manager to get promoted.
    Cardiff’s manager is as old school as they come and they have a decent chance of promotion. Frustrated
    Of course we are 5th on merit we have gained more pts than those teams underneath us.
    I’m not sure what your criteria is regarding league standings are Burton also in a false position with their 32pts ?

I don’t surround myself with anything or anyone.
    Plenty of fans on here who voiced concerns regarding the team and the situation.
    But unlike you they don’t fu**ing well bleat on repeating the same shi* over and over again.
    Change the fu**ing record and stop repeating yourself.

mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 2:15 am

New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:

Bang head Surrender

We got your message MC.

Did I say that?

Life is too short!

COYR

Who needs a forward thinking manager to get promoted.
    Cardiff’s manager is as old school as they come and they have a decent chance of promotion. Frustrated
    Of course we are 5th on merit we have gained more pts than those teams underneath us.
    I’m not sure what your criteria is regarding league standings are Burton also in a false position with their 32pts ?

I don’t surround myself with anything or anyone.
    Plenty of fans on here who voiced concerns regarding the team and the situation.
    But unlike you they don’t fu**ing well bleat on repeating the same shi* over and over again.
    Change the fu**ing record and stop repeating yourself.

I have remained consistent in my disapproval of the way DCFC have played this season, and of the transfers.

I have remained consistent in my view that GR is doing a great job with the players he has although he has made mistakes in the transfer market.

I have remained consistent in my support of the manager when folks on here have said 'get rid'.

Just because you take what I say the wrong way is not my fault. I was saying we'd be better of losing in the first play off game...you took that as meaning something entirely different.

You then accused me of patronizing you. Again, not my intention at all. It really wasn't. I was just trying to make you better understand my post.

NER, we're on the same side here. I will always post what I feel and if you don't agree then that is fine. No problem whatsoever.

But please, lose the f***ing this, and the f***ing that. It's not required.

Have a Drink on me !! Fingers crossed

Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2774
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 6:22 am

Children, do not make me be the god damn adult in the room. :P

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 4:40 pm