COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Loughborough Rams list of clubs that have endured a worse time than we have over the last 20 years.

mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 279
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Loughborough Rams list of clubs that have endured a worse time than we have over the last 20 years.

Post by mcsilks on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 2:12 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Depends on your point of view, I can think of hundreds of clubs that haven't had the great experiences that we have had over the last 20 years, and therein probably lies the difference between you and I

Can you now.

Go on then. Just what have we achieved from 1998~present?

What miraculous ups have the supporters had to cheer about for a club of our supporter base and stature?

You have said you can think of hundreds of clubs. I challenge you to name 100.
    mcsilks

Re: Loughborough Rams list of clubs that have endured a worse time than we have over the last 20 years.

Post by mcsilks on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 2:28 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:We've had some bad times but there are many clubs who have played the majority of their lives in league 1 or 2 without ever gaining promotion, perennially going nowhere, achieving nothing, at least we've experienced promotions, momentous wins against our big rivals, great cup wins along the way which I have enjoyed far more than I would if we'd had ten years of mid table obscurity in the 'greed is good' Premiersh*t.

Instead of focussing on what is bad about the Rams I'd much sooner focus on the fact that we are a promotion chasing Championship club which, for the majority of my lifetime, has been our level.

As I said, name the 100.

Most clubs that are lingering in League 1 and 2 do not have our fans base, stadium, set-up, expectations, etc....so simply cannot be talked about in the same light.

I said that DCFC have had to suffer over the last 20 years with few highlights. That obviously factors in expectations. Name the 100 LR and be true to your word.

The Rams fans have a good right to moan about our complete lack of achievement over the last 20 years when we have seen countless clubs with far fewer resources leave us in the distance.
    mcsilks

Re: Loughborough Rams list of clubs that have endured a worse time than we have over the last 20 years.

Post by mcsilks on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 2:37 pm

I'll throw this open to anyone.

For clubs of a similar size and stature, which football clubs fans have had to endure such a lack of success as DCFC in the last 20 years.

Obviously a club like Forest would be a good start, but with the 11 point haul in the Premiership meaning the DCFC will be the butt of jokes from the national press for years to come, I would say that rather negates even that promotion season.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11533
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 2:38 pm

Any club that hasn't been promoted, or thrashed their local rivals. Any club whose season ends when they get enough points to avoid relegation each season. In twenty years we've had a few promising years in the top division, one promotion, a few decent tilts at promotion and several wins in big games, so in my opinion enough for any decent supporter to balance against the horrible low that was our premiersh*t season.

Of course the extremely vocal self pitying fans will bemoan their lot but that is modern Britain where we all know our rights and everything is somebody elses fault.
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 2:49 pm

Our on the field antics since relegation in 2002, means the club have actually had 20 different managers since Jim Smith departed in late 2001.

20 different managers albeit some caretaker managers but even so...that says it all really.

Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 766
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 3:07 pm

I'd say Forest, Leeds & Sheff Wednesday have all had a spectacular fall from grace during the last 20 years. Must have been hard supporting teams with such history in League 1.
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 3:35 pm

Jackal wrote:I'd say Forest, Leeds & Sheff Wednesday have all had a spectacular fall from grace during the last 20 years. Must have been hard supporting teams with such history in League 1.

Leeds is a good shout. Watching them a few times this season, they do seem to have a few decent young players which suggest happier times ahead.

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14511
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 4:19 pm

Haven't Wolves been down in L2 in the past 20 years?
    Birmingham, perennial losers
    Sheff U
    Fulham

All been down in L1

Norwich and Ipswich haven't exactly been ripping up trees of late.
    Hull up and down like a lasy of the night's underwear.
    Bolton
    Wigan
    Blackburn
    Pompey
    Blackpool
    Luton
    Coventry
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2774
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 7:42 pm

Wimbledon FC having to start from scratch
    Morcambe who have NEVER been promoted, EVER
    Bristol City
    Sunderland
    MK Dons for being dicks to the Wombles and having shit teams
    Crewe who tend to produce great players but yo-yo between Leagues 1 and 2
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 2:34 am

Calif_Ramette wrote:Wimbledon FC having to start from scratch
    Bristol City
    Sunderland

I'm not sure that the likes of Crewe, Morecambe, MK Dons, Wimbledon, and Bristol City can be compared to Derby as DCFC have a little more justification to expect success due to their supporter base, financial clout, size of club etc.
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 2:45 am

MadAmster wrote:Haven't Wolves been down in L2 in the past 20 years?
    Birmingham, perennial losers
    Sheff U
    Fulham

All been down in L1

Norwich and Ipswich haven't exactly been ripping up trees of late.
    Hull up and down like a lasy of the night's underwear.
    Bolton
    Wigan
    Blackburn
    Pompey
    Blackpool
    Luton
    Coventry

I certainly wouldn't put Birmingham there. They have had numerous seasons in the top flight, played in the Europa League, and won the League Cup (as well as finishing runners-up).

Fulham also have spent the majority of the last 20 years playing in the Premiership.

Wolves, Sheff Utd, Blackburn, Portsmouth. I'd agree with those although I still maintain that their supporters would not have the same expectations that many DCFC supporters have.

Again, the rest I don't think can justifiably have the same expectations as DCFC as they are simply not as bigger clubs in so many different ways.

It's a really difficult debate as it brings into question that question of 'what makes a club big?' which as we all know is highly debatable.
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2228
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 9:28 am

mcSilks - I think you will find the majority of wolves fans would think they are a bigger club with a more illustrious history than the rams - albeit a bit longer ago than our 70's heyday

we haven't got a divine right to be a top flight club - we have to earn it just like Swansea, Watford, Stoke, Burnley, West Brom, Southampton, Crystal Palace, Huddersfield (1920's aside), Bournemouth, Leicester (recent success aside) - all clubs most of us would consider "smaller" than Derby - I would expect Forest, both Sheffield clubs (esp Wednesday) Leeds and Sunderland would consider themselves "bigger" than Derby with more trophies in the cabinet.
    As Luffy says for most of our history we have been at best a yo-yo club - enjoy the good times, get over the bad times quickly and don't expect anything "normal" - the joys of being a Ram through thin and thinner....
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 9:55 am

rob wrote:mcSilks - I think you will find the majority of wolves fans would think they are a bigger club with a more illustrious history than the rams - albeit a bit longer ago than our 70's heyday

we haven't got a divine right to be a top flight club - we have to earn it just like Swansea, Watford, Stoke, Burnley, West Brom, Southampton, Crystal Palace, Huddersfield (1920's aside), Bournemouth, Leicester (recent success aside) - all clubs most of us would consider "smaller" than Derby - I would expect Forest, both Sheffield clubs (esp Wednesday) Leeds and Sunderland would consider themselves "bigger" than Derby with more trophies in the cabinet.
    As Luffy says for most of our history we have been at best a yo-yo club - enjoy the good times, get over the bad times quickly and don't expect anything "normal" - the joys of being a Ram through thin and thinner....

Rob, I agree with all of this. I don't for one minute thing we have the divine right to be in the top flight.

My point is that IMO, we have suffered more than most. Not THE most, but certainly more than our fair share.

Look at the lengths we have gone to in recent years in failed attempts to try and get to the promised land.

I feel we are sadly back to square one again and forced to rebuild. The last few years have provided us fans with little or no cheer.
    New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23294
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 11:08 am

On the eve of another crunch game you got your own thread Loughie..I’m impressed mate :star:

mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 11:53 am

New England Ram wrote:On the eve of another crunch game you got your own thread Loughie..I’m impressed mate :star:

If you start coming up with crazy statements like 'I can name over 100 clubs whose fans.........', then you might just get your own as well NER Thumbs up
    rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2228
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 12:31 pm

but to start answering the question - don't think I will get to 100

Wolves - until this season
    Pompey - nearly went out of business after winning the cup under fake 'arry
    Coventry - total eff up - lucky we dodged the SISU bullet
    Leeds - down to div 3 after champions league semis
    Trees - the only European champions to ever play in their domestic third tier and regularly thumped by their biggest rivals celebration
    Wigan - non league to cup winners to third tier - may consider that a great ride actually
    Sunderland - yo-yo to premeirshite laughing stock to third tier
    Bolton - European football to 3rd teir with large debt
    Notts County - top division to bottom tier - dodgy ownership with Sven and Sol Campbell fiascos

Lots of clubs have shite - we certainly have had ours

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4817
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 1:40 pm

Jackal wrote:I'd say Forest, Leeds & Sheff Wednesday have all had a spectacular fall from grace during the last 20 years. Must have been hard supporting teams with such history in League 1.

Good shout Jackal they have had 60 different managers between them since the start of the Premier League in 1992 not including caretaker managers but even so...that says it all really (last 8 words copied from another post.)
    Calif_Ramette

Post by Calif_Ramette on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 8:04 pm

mcsilks wrote:
    Calif_Ramette wrote:Wimbledon FC having to start from scratch
    Bristol City
    Sunderland

I'm not sure that the likes of Crewe, Morecambe, MK Dons, Wimbledon, and Bristol City can be compared to Derby as DCFC have a little more justification to expect success due to their supporter base, financial clout, size of club etc.

Don't I get some props for knowing these things about those clubs, then again it also is the whole what makes a big club kind of thing. Would I call these big clubs, not exactly. Although Crewe have some of finest youth facilities in at least L2 and L1 and perhaps on par with some Championship clubs.

What I forgot to put on there was the Wombles, from top flight football to re-named and moved to Milton Keynes (see I know what city they are in too :P) then reborn in like step 9 to currently League Two.

The point is of course Silks had to be a smart ass and take the 100 figure as gospel then be like "OH yea then name them" kinda of crap. I still stick by the teams I named and am rather proud of knowing the random things about them.
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Fri 13 Apr 2018, 10:05 pm

The Spireites for one. Have a look at the Bob's Board forum.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5640
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 9:44 am

mcsilks wrote:
    The last few years have provided us fans with little or no cheer.

Ooh, I dunno though....

-March 22nd 2014 was just about as good as it gets for me. Not just the result, the importance of it, we hadn't scored for 4 games IIRC, and Billy getting sacked in the morning.
    -Wembley 2007.
    -Beating the Bluenoses at St Scumsville 4-0 (oh look, a Johnny Russell goal).
    -Commons beating Manure.
    -Bucko's headed winner at Leeds.

Maybe I  just set my sights too low,  but all the pain makes these moments even more special.

Anyway, back to the theme of the thread. I don't think LR ever suggested that his metaphorical hundred had to be of the same stature or size as DCFC. There will be 100 out there - at various different levels of the pyramid. This month's WSC highlights Stafford Rangers, for example - the emptome of mediocrity.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14511
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 1:38 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:
    This month's WSC highlights Stafford Rangers, for example - the emptome of mediocrity.

Stockport County anyone? ..... if that's still the name they go by :)

Calif_Ramette

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 8:04 pm

Funny thing about Stafford Rangers, they were the very first football club I played when I bought FM 2006. Will always have a soft spot for them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 4:40 pm