Post by RRC on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 5:19 pm

Derby named the same team and bench for the third game in a row –
          Carson
          Wisdom Pearce Davies Baird
          Huddlestone Ledley
          Weimann Vydra Lawrence
          Nugent
          subs – Roos Keogh Forsyth Hanson Palmer Jerome Thomas
    Burton only had 17 players fit to play, including one youngster from the academy. They named four
    former Rams. Bywater, Brayford and Buxton were in the team and Barker was on the bench.

Derby made a lively start, keeping a high line and penning Burton in their own half, but their passing
    and control weren’t good enough for an early breakthrough.  The Brewers made a few quick counter-
    attacks and had the first shot of the match on 8 minutes. The home team kept their shape well, also
    keeping a high line, and Nugent was caught offside several times. Derby soon went back to slow,
    negative passing, which was no threat to Burton. They paid the penalty for some sloppy defending
    when Boyce, assisted by Murphy, scored on 24 minutes. Derby soon replied when the Burton defence
    went to sleep. Nugent headed his first goal since December from a Lawrence cross on 29 minutes.

Burton had a narrow miss when Davenport put in a great cross and Huddlestone should have scored
    from a Baird corner. Derby were still not working hard enough, backing off and allowing Burton plenty
    space when they were in possession. Carson saved at full stretch from Sbarra but he had no chance
    when the ragged Rams defence decided not to bother tackling. Murphy won the ball in midfield and
    finished the Albion attack with a goal on 44 minutes. It was the first time that Burton had scored two
    goals in a first half this season. The Rams made it far too easy for them with another embarrassing
    performance that was timid, negative, slow and workshy.
    HT Burton 2–1 Derby

The second half continued like the first. Derby’s passes were often telegraphed and easily intercepted.
    They were given some help by Burton, who were keener to defend their lead than add to it, but the
    Rams didn’t do enough to create any chances and take advantage. Derby’s first substitution saw
    Palmer replace Ledley on 57 minutes and join Huddlestone in the two-man midfield. Having survived
    15 minutes of the half without conceding, Burton resumed attacking. Their enterprise was rewarded
    when a shot was blocked and Akins tapped in the rebound on 68 minutes. Jerome came on for Pearce
    on 73 minutes, leaving a three-man defence.

Derby responded with a bit more effort but Nugent missed a sitter with his left foot, blazing the ball
    yards over the bar. They tried too many hopeful high balls which were no threat to the Burton defence.
    The Rams forwards rarely moved to take up good positions or offer themselves for a pass. Derby had
    a few better passages of play but, as so often this season, they lacked intelligent attacking ideas. The
    referee awarded a very soft penalty when Buxton tackled Jerome. Justice was restored when Bywater
    saved Vydra’s weak effort. Shaun Barker came on in extra time for what may be his final appearance.
    Burton’s fine effort moved them off the bottom of the table and gave them a slim chance of avoiding
    relegation. Derby’s lack of quality, commitment and effort gave them what they deserved -– another
    humiliating defeat.
    FT Burton 3–1 Derby

Derby dropped to 7th place with 68 points. They were overtaken by Middlesbrough (5th, 69) and
    Millwall (6th, 69). Preston (8th, 66), Sheffield Utd (9th, 66), Brentford (10th, 65) and Bristol (11th, 65)
    are all close enough to push Derby further down the table.

Fulham's draw with Millwall means that Wolves are assured of promotion. Cardiff, who moved back to
    2nd place by one point from Fulham, can still become champions because they have a game in hand.

Last edited by RRC on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 8:31 pm; edited 4 times in total

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14637
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Embarassing v Burton

Post by MadAmster on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 5:19 pm

Extremely so. Outfought. Outbattled. No pace. No fight. No decent passes. No passion. No F*ckin' chance.

One good goal scored by us. 3 goals that should have embarassed the entire defence scored by them.

1st goal cross from the left, unmarked player at the far post who put the ball unopposed acros the goal to one of two more unmarked players.

2nd goal very well taken goal by Murphy but how on earth was he able to get the ball, outside the area, and run, unopposed, into the area, veer left and curl it just inside the left hand post.

3rd goal shot parried by Carson and it runs to a Brewers player at the far post who knocked it in.......... you guessed it, unopposed.

At the end of the day, we got what we deserved from this game, nothing. Why and how though?

Guess a) too many tired players from 3 games in a week

Guess b) tactics that invite the opposition to come on to you

Guess c) an inability to pass to a team mate

Guess d) no movement to give the man with the ball options ot outlets

Guess e) all of the above and more

Take your pick.

I am dumbfounded.
    whestonram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Re: Burton 3-1 Derby reports and comments

Post by whestonram on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 5:33 pm

I guess that's it for this season, then. We've not been playing well enough for a good while now and this result indicates that we hadn't turned a corner with the Preston and Bolton wins, just had a little upward blip. For all that I didn't think we'd miss Johnny, it seems we have, and it didn't help that Lookman, who Rowett must have thought was coming when he let Johnny go, didn't come. But while I gave Rowett the benefit of the doubt with the Jerome signing, it clearly was pointless when e needed to strengthen, not consolidate. I'm sure it's right that GR's job is safe - i.e. both factually correct and the best thing to do - but I hope the plan for the summer strengthens the team considerably. That's what I'm thinking about now. I firmly believe promotion has gone.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6382

Embarassing

Post by CornwallRam on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 5:44 pm

Any chance that we can de-merge the threads?

I reckon that comments about the game are separate from the inevitable discussion about Rowett's future. That thread is likely to grow over the next few weeks
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Rowett out?

Post by DavesaRam on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 6:10 pm

MadAmster wrote:Plan for the summer has to be dump a dozen or so of this lot and blood the young uns along with a couple of very good players.

I agree with both your posts Ammy, apart from one thing: there was no need for option (a) in your list of questions in your first post.

Firstly, these are professionals who are paid, no have huge wodges of money thrown at them for playing football. And that includes 3 games in a week if necessary. When all is said and done, all they are doing is playing games. Secondly, both Saturday's game was played at an ambling pace, supposedly saving themselves for the big one against Wolves. Apart from against Wolves we decided it wasn't worth busting a gut in a game we weren't going to win. Let's save it for a game that matters and which we can do something about. Apart from we couldn't be bothered to do that either.

Yet again we started a game, which we should have played at a high tempo on the front foot and we start with Palmer on the bench yet again. At least he came on after 55 minutes instead of the usual 70, so that was upbeat. Maybe we should have rested Vydra and played Palmer there instead - at least he seems to be bothered, and looks like he's got half an idea of what to do with the ball.

Our tactics yet again are to sit back and let Burton have the ball, get in a few blocks and then hit them on the counter-hoof. Apart form we were nowhere near fast enough for that to work, or accurate enough with our passing.

As ever we were so, so cautious and negative. After a minor spell of pressure we got a throw in our own half, and instead of keeping the pressure on, as soon as Baird picked the ball up he was looking to throw backwards to a defender.

People are starting to call for Rowett's head, but in reality it should be virtually the whole squad. Results no longer matter, so I would kick the whole lot utu and [lay the reserves doe the rest of the season.

I would also want to see the club offer refunds both to the travelling fans at Burton today, but also to those of use who had to endure the Sunderland debacle. And for the players to foot the bill.

I watched most of today's embarrassment in the Dave Mackay suite on the beam-back. I went for the £15 tickets which included the carvery meal, which was absolutely superb. I figured that at least I would get something for my money.

My only regret is that I was tempted to put a bet on Burton winning, but (a) I have never gambled in my life before now, and (b) felt it was disloyal. I wish I'd done it now. Even the Rams faithful at Burton were singing "You're not fit to wear the shirt".

And they were right.
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2435
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 6:31 pm

Started the day well, few worthingtons at the beech hotel, rammed with derby fans and caught up with a couple of people I knew, then went to the ground, stood in the home terrace by the away end with my Burton mate and it’s full of derby fans so felt at home then it all went tits up when the game started.
    They deserved the goal as they looked a threat when going forward, we pulled one back with a nugent header then Murphy smashed home a decent goal before half time.
    2nd half thought we’d come at them, changed formation with Pearce off and Jerome on and Palmer for the ineffective ledley and boom a third was scored for them.
    Vydra then a chance for a late rally but ratty saved well.
    Then a cameo for barker who got a decent applause by derby fans and he went up front and had 2-3 decent headers, then full time.
    Really peeved at the lack of forward play and general energy, we don’t deserve a play off position and it showed, haven’t got an answer on how to move forward but another season of this football being served will drive away supporters, me being one at live games.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1802
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 8:29 pm

Rowett has had 2 transfer windows and demolished our squad. He plays poor football and Mel has said there is no money for next season unless we go up..so no money!
    Why he got Palmer on loan, god only knows, i think he is very decent, and i would play him..but he is obviously too young and talented for Gary.
    He has mocked McClaren many times this season..making references to bottling the run in, and only playing one way...well, i'd rather play the McClaren way than watch this pathetic rubbish...and it will have similar results ie not getting promoted!
    Jst knew today would happen, just couldn't imagine it being quite as bad..don't forget Hull beat them 0-5 last week!
    The only bonus for me today, was that my horse came in first at the National and made me a tidy sum....200 times less than Rowett and his old players would have 'earned' today though!
    DavesaRam

Post by DavesaRam on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 9:04 pm

I am beginning to wonder if Gary has lost the dressing-room. It won't be the first time, the players got Pearson dumped, and probably got McClaren dumped after his second time here as well. So what has gone so badly wrong this time that we end up with embarrassment like this?

Part of the problem is that we are overloaded with old-timers on their last big money contract, so why do they have to care? Or is it that the players know they can perform much better, but Gary won't let them?
    norfolkram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 604
    Registration date : 2014-11-19

Post by norfolkram on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 10:03 pm

Rowetts to negative 2 old imobile holding midfielders against Burton ffs they're hardly Barcelona are they.Against Wolves it was damage limitation to keep the score down.Watching Fulham v Brentford tonight was a joy to watch 2 teams playing fast one touch pass and move football something neither would play with Rowett in charge
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16149
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 10:25 pm

norfolkram wrote:Rowetts to negative  2 old imobile holding midfielders against Burton ffs they're hardly Barcelona are they.Against Wolves it was damage limitation to keep the score down.Watching Fulham v Brentford tonight was a joy to watch 2 teams playing fast one touch pass and move football something neither would play with Rowett in charge

It seems we've invented our own version of pass and move --

Pass, lose the ball and stand still arguing about whose fault it is.

It hasn't worked so far, but when the players understand the new system properly . . .

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4845
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 10:40 pm

MadAmster wrote:Extremely so. Outfought. Outbattled. No pace. No fight. No decent passes. No passion. No F*ckin' chance.

One good goal scored by us. 3 goals that should have embarassed the entire defence scored by them.

1st goal cross from the left, unmarked player at the far post who put the ball unopposed acros the goal to one of two more unmarked players.

2nd goal very well taken goal by Murphy but how on earth was he able to get the ball, outside the area, and run, unopposed, into the area, veer left and curl it just inside the left hand post.

3rd goal shot parried by Carson and it runs to a Brewers player at the far post who knocked it in.......... you guessed it, unopposed.

At the end of the day, we got what we deserved from this game, nothing. Why and how though?

Guess a) too many tired players from 3 games in a week

Guess b) tactics that invite the opposition to come on to you

Guess c) an inability to pass to a team mate

Guess d) no movement to give the man with the ball options ot outlets

Guess e) all of the above and more

Take your pick.

I am dumbfounded.

What makes it worse for me is that before Christmas the team was doing the above guesses in grand style with the same tactics as now so the players have proved they can do it and they aren't now.

Perhaps a few of them have been told to look for other clubs come the end of the season so they can't be ar*ed to do their highly paid job properly anymore.
    valakari

Post by valakari on Sat 14 Apr 2018, 11:17 pm

Btw. People are always saying Keogh throws his arms everywhere and blames others...have a look at Baird on all the goals...especially the 1st when he wasn't marking his man..oh and the same virtually every time he plays! Don't think even keoghkeogh can blame Keogh for this shambles today??!
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1341
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 2:43 am

valakari wrote:Rowett has had 2 transfer windows and demolished our squad. He plays poor football and Mel has said there is no money for next season unless we go up..so no money!
    Why he got Palmer on loan, god only knows, i think he is very decent, and i would play him..but he is obviously too young and talented for Gary.
    He has mocked McClaren many times this season..making references to bottling the run in, and only playing one way...well, i'd rather play the McClaren way than watch this pathetic rubbish...and it will have similar results ie not getting promoted!
    Jst knew today would happen, just couldn't imagine it being quite as bad..don't forget Hull beat them 0-5 last week!
    The only bonus for me today, was that my horse came in first at the National and made me a tidy sum....200 times less than Rowett and his old players would have 'earned' today though!
    Agree with that except my son stevens horse came in first lol
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1341
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 2:45 am

valakari wrote:Btw. People are always saying Keogh throws his arms everywhere and blames others...have a look at Baird on all the goals...especially the 1st when he wasn't marking his man..oh and the same virtually every time he plays! Don't think even keoghkeogh can blame Keogh for this shambles today??!

They will try blame keogh.. he has become scapegoat of the shambles we have as a squad
    New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23342
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 3:07 am

There are seven new players in this squad and yet again we find ourselves in the midst of yet another implosion.
    This issue what ever it is is bigger and deeper than we know imo.
    Club needs to have the balls to give Rowett a decent chance to fix it.

valakari

Post by valakari on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 1:34 pm

If Rowett stays, his style of football will drive the fans away!
    Rams bottom

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : 01-11-1975 against Leeds
    Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2016-10-07

Post by Rams bottom on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 2:48 pm

But we’ve all renewed our season tickets!
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14637

Post by MadAmster on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 2:50 pm

Rams bottom wrote:But we’ve all renewed our season tickets!

Yep! More sold than at this stage last season.

With next season in mind, I hope your screen name isn't anywhere near accurate.
    valakari

Post by valakari on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 3:28 pm

I renewed mine as per...but those without season tickets won't keep coming!
    DavesaRam

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 3:55 pm

valakari wrote:I renewed mine as per...but those without season tickets won't keep coming!

We are losing those WITH season tickets as well. Two guys who stood next to us in the South Stand didn't renew, another guy who stands in front of us (sometimes) hasn't been for more than a third of the matches. I and my son and daughter have thought long and hard about renewing the last two times. How many times are we going to be encouraged to step forwards only to be thumped in the face as soon as we have done so?
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 1:06 am

See Man U went for a Burton as well then.

valakari

Post by valakari on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 5:39 am

Yes, just the same...they put in all their efforts beating the league leaders the game before...oh know, not quite the same!
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 1:38 pm

valakari wrote:Yes, just the same...they put in all their efforts beating the league leaders the game before...oh know, not quite the same!

No actually it’s probably worse given their managers so called superstar reputation and the money they have invested.
    Using those parameters they should never lose to anyone outside the top four.

valakari

Post by valakari on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 4:59 pm

Having to spell it out..Man Utd put a lot of energy into beating the league leaders then suffered in their next game. We put no effort into gifting the league leaders 3 points and after saving ourselves, got stuffed by the bottom team as Well!
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 6:54 pm

valakari wrote:Having to spell it out..Man Utd put a lot of energy into beating the league leaders then suffered in their next game. We put no effort into gifting the league leaders 3 points and after saving ourselves, got stuffed by the bottom team as Well!

LOL what a load of bollocks..” put so much effort into beating the league leaders”
    For a start off it was 1st v 2nd multi million squad v multi million squad..
    They then had a week off to rest their weary pampered bones.
    Give me a break ..exerted themselves...soft as shit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Jul 2018, 3:38 am