Total Votes: 23
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16148
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

How long would you give Gary Rowett? POLL

Post by RRC on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 9:13 am

Forum members have mixed feelings about Gary Rowett's future at Derby.

Please vote for your preferred option (above) and post a bit about why you chose it.

valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1802
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Re: How long would you give Gary Rowett? POLL

Post by valakari on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 9:44 am

Because I can't stand the boring football..and has got rid of our better players. Any manager that would rather have Cameron Jerome over Chris Martin is not my type of manager.
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1341
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 9:57 am

Either let him go in may or a full next season.

The last 4 games will decide it. Play with passion and commitment then there is hope for next season. Gary has to get that shower of shite performing to show he is up for the task .
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11586
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 10:00 am

I've gone for December, that keeps all options open, he will have had close on 2 years by then and three transfer windows. If we do our usual and only play until christmas then he probably has to go before the end of the season, but lets assume that everything goes well and he's here for years to come.
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5660
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 10:48 am

I couldn't decide between all next season or longer, so I went for all next season, and was then surprised that I was the most lenient so far.

(That may change when I've watched the Full 90 V Burton though Wink ).

Its a tough one. Watford have broken the mould, but will they do a "Swansea" and collapse when they finally pick a duff manager? (which the law of averages says they will eventually).

We've tried virtually everything - McLaren Sexy Football, Pearson Sargeant Major bullying, Clement Bore Them To Tears Possession.  The one thing that we haven't tried, since NC's tenure, is patience.  

Lets face it, he needed three years to ship out the dross which Billy and then Jewell left us with.

In terms of playing staff, reputation and morale, we are now right back at the point when Jewell left - in fact, I'd say, possibly worse.

Like it or not, under Mel's tutelage we have become a semi retirement home for slightly past it older players who have limited drive and desire - they've already been there and done it.  I'm in two minds whether GR has simply fallen into this trap and exacerbated it, or whether he's pretty much had no choice with the cards (and bloated squad) he's inherited - the truth probably lies somewhere between the two.

The squad is now older, slower and has less ability than when he took over, but until Bristol City home, seemed to be a considerably better team unit.  That's the only thing going for it, and if that's now gone,  then he has a long hard road ahead.

He has left every club he has been with in a higher league position than when he joined,  as are we.

He deserves more time.
    KeoghKeogh

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 11:05 am

When the Spireites played Port Vale this season if was the 4th consequetive year that the two teams have faced each other. Each side has had a different manager in each of the 4 years. At the time of the game (before Easter) both were in danger of losing football league status.

Rowett needs longer. He needs to sort out leadership on the field - which isn't Keogh as captain. He needs to get hold of a player like Lookman (who we know he thought that he had signed).

Mel needs to hunker down and give Rowett until the end of next season. That said, if we are facing the drop come next February, that could well change.
    valakari

Post by valakari on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 11:21 am

You still managed to get Keogh into the conversation. I hope he bumps into you some day...
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 11:40 am

I've spoken with him several times since he came to the club. I have found him to be an intelligent and likeable guy who takes stuff seriously. I've no axe to grind with him at all. I just don't rate him as a captain.

As a player he has had some good games but has also made some bad decisions that have cost us points over several years. He's not alone in that and, as a CH is obviously always more likely to be at fault for conceding goals than a midfielder or attacker.

My comments regarding his poor captaincy are borne out of a desire to see the team that I support attain success. I haven't seen it under his captaincy in the past and see no signs that I will in the future. I have been pretty consistent in my posts about this on here for years - hence my 'name'.

I agree with very little that you ('Valakari') post, but unlike yourself don't find it necessary to point this out from behind my keyboard.

So, feel free to continue with your apparent vendetta, but excuse me if I can't be bothered to spell out my reasons for not wanting Keogh as captain each time you find it necessary to share your wisdom with the world.

Last edited by KeoghKeogh on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
    RoytheRam

First ever game : Southampton-(home) 1965, lost 3-0
    Number of posts : 1025
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

Post by RoytheRam on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 12:32 pm

I'm sorry but the man is surrounding himself with players nearly the same age as him making us slow and predictable. His brand of football would put a coma victim further under I'm afraid. Yesterday for me was I'm sorry to say the last straw, having already been spanked by 1 almost relegated side we get the same treatment from another! That's bad enough but the total lack of forward movement/threat call it what you want but it's not there! Wednesday night we were totally steamrollered by yes a good side and good luck to them butwe didn't even make em sweat, no chasing/closing down or pressing from minute one! Second half I was disgusted to see our three supposedly attack minded players Lawrence,Weimann and Vydra in a line across our own box most of the time leaving Nugent platting fog up front miles away. Then what does he do when we are needing a forward thrust, he brings the 1 player who does run at the opposition given freedom to play his own game on and plays him as a defensive midfielder! It leaves me gobsmacked! This defensive attitude has ruined our team along with the sheer lack of pace and vision in the other midfielder's, it's alright being able to ping a 40 yard pass every now and then & protecting the defence (supposedly) but that's no good when you keep giving the ball away by either being to overconfident or just down right slow in and around your own danger areas etc. I could go on but it's seriously depressing me now! My remedy? Stimac & Eranio and proper football!
    valakari

Post by valakari on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 12:38 pm

'Ere 'Ere...my 2 favourites of the last 25 years. Just as an aside, ironically, I have this week being trying to find/ buy pictures of these 2..signed preferably. Can anyone help?
    Rams bottom

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : 01-11-1975 against Leeds
    Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2016-10-07

Post by Rams bottom on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 2:52 pm

Give him a chance.......what’s the alternative?
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23342
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 2:57 pm

At the very least all of next season.
    What’s a new manager going to do with a limited and handicapped squad.
    Managerial merry go round rarely works..our two bitter rivals Leeds and Forest are a massive testimony to that.

DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 4:33 pm

I've gone for "all of next season" on the basis that he takes the current squad and finds them a lush field of grass to eat until their contracts are up, and send out the young kids to see what they can make of their opportunity.

I am pretty sure that they will show a huge amount more passion and desire than our current crop of journeyman donkeys who clearly don't care a hoot for the fans, except to moan when we don't applaud their every greedy grab of the dosh for little or no return.

I am also pretty sure that Rowett will never do this, because he simply hasn't given the kids a look in, apart from a couple of 5 or 10 minutes at the end of an "already gone" match, or has sent them out on loan.

We do have young, talented players on the books, but seem to have an almost Victorian attitude towards them of "keep quiet until you are spoken too", and "they can play when they are old enough". The only one we have seen was Max Lowe, who seems to have !longevity of health" issues, and maybe going out on loan to get match fitness is sensible. Or it would have been if we had good cover for left back, or had included a recall in his loan deal. Hence we struggling at the moment. Same for Charles Vernam - why no recall in case we get an injury to Winnall, for example?
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6382
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 4:45 pm

DavesaRam wrote:I've gone for "all of next season" on the basis that he takes the current squad and finds them a lush field of grass to eat until their contracts are up, and send out the young kids to see what they can make of their opportunity.

I am pretty sure that they will show a huge amount more passion and desire than our current crop of journeyman donkeys who clearly don't care a hoot for the fans, except to  moan when we don't applaud their every greedy grab of the dosh for little or no return.

I am also pretty sure that Rowett will never do this, because he simply hasn't given the kids a look in, apart from a couple of 5 or 10 minutes at the end of an "already gone" match, or has sent them out on loan.

We do have young, talented players on the books, but seem to have an almost Victorian attitude towards them of "keep quiet until you are spoken too", and "they can play when they are old enough". The only one we have seen was Max Lowe, who seems to have !longevity of health" issues, and maybe going out on loan to get match fitness is sensible. Or it would have been if we had good cover for left back, or had included a recall in his loan deal. Hence we struggling at the moment. Same for Charles Vernam - why no recall in case we get an injury to Winnall, for example?

Recall clauses can only be activated in the transfer window now. It's not possible to recall players who are with senior teams, ie the top four divisions or overseas equivalents, other than in January.
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 4036
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 5:36 pm

I have gone for December. Assuming we fade away this season and don’t make the playoffs, I still believe he deserves longer. We have gone forward slightly since he has taken over and he has only just started to shape his team. However a lot of the signings he has made haven’t turned out great yet and January was a disaster ( he can slightly be excused for Winnall getting injured just after the window shut) but we should have been stronger after January rather than weaker. He should get the summer to do his deals and the. The start of the season. If we are top 8 in December he should stay, much lower and time to look elsewhere. There has been 2 bad spells and one good spell this season and this was enough to have us in the promotion mix for a lot of the season. We may well have a very different looking team in the autumn and we will need to see how that team does
    New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23342
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 7:54 pm

Our whole run to Wembley was off the back of years of stability under Clough.
    SM came in with fresh ideas and off we went.
    Years of instability and farce later and we find ourselves in a similar position with a need to steady the ship.
    For me Rowett can be the manager to steady the ship and point us forward if he’s given time.

For those looking in another direction look below us at our to most hated rivals Forest and Leeds to see what and where consistent managerial change gets you.

rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4404
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 10:00 pm

I have gone for longer, GR is still learning, and all these things that come up will temper him into a better manager
    CC football is acceptable, providing effort and pride in the shirt are shown.

The thing that gets me down is, when a player earning 5 times a week what most people earn a year, cant be arsed to put a shift in.
    Some teacup smashing is in order in our dressing room methinks
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4845
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 10:07 pm

How long for Gary Rowett? If the rumours are to be believed, a lot longer than Richard Keogh. Stirring the pot
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2794
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 10:28 pm

SawleyRam wrote:How long for Gary Rowett? If the rumours are to be believed, a lot longer than Richard Keogh. Stirring the pot

If that is true then Keogh needs to go and now. That is some bullshit by him IF true.
    Ram_in_OZ

First ever game : Live 1994 vs Leicester
    Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2013-09-11

Post by Ram_in_OZ on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 3:26 am

I would like to see a medium to long term plan to rebuild a team to take us up. No more panic buys. A combination of young lads that are comfortable with the ball & willing to learn, together with some experienced , existing first-choice (not playing reserves) players that know how to pass to a colleague, take responsibility and run until they are knackered (maybe even non-British!) Actually anything resembling a plan.
    RRC
    Admin

Number of posts : 16148
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 9:04 am

I'd give him until December UNLESS there's a clear change of approach.

That doesn't mean winning every game. I'd expect us to lose quite a lot
    at first but I can accept that if we're truly building towards a better way.

Sitting back and inviting pressure is never going to get anyone promoted.

outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1341
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 10:22 am

RRC wrote:I'd give him until December UNLESS there's a clear change of approach.

That doesn't mean winning every game. I'd expect us to lose quite a lot
    at first but I can accept that if we're truly building towards a better way.

Sitting back and inviting pressure is never going to get anyone promoted.

if we finish the rest of the season with bit of optimism I agree rowett should be given more time, but why hope it will be better at start of the season and carry on this way till December then new manager and start another building a team.
    I wanted rowett and stood by rowett but burton was awfull it broke me, the team look dejected heartless and given up, we are was in the play off for ffs and that is the best effort against the bottom club. the whole club should look at themselves including mel to see what the f#@k is wrong that we give up after February. Bang head Bang head Bang head Bang head
    norfolkram

First ever game : Watney Cup Final
    Number of posts : 604
    Registration date : 2014-11-19

Post by norfolkram on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 7:01 pm

Rowett is what he is,if he's here another season we'll be facing the same question's next April.Lets face it most of the loyalty from fans is because he's an ex player but the dour football is his trademark.
    Loughborough Ram

Number of posts : 11586
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 8:01 pm

To be fair Norfolk I think that most of us can't see any merit in changing the manager once again as so far we have tried the coach playing beautiful football, the disciplinarian coach, the ticky tacka possession coach, the u23's coach and now the up and coming coach without any clear success.

Maybe now is the time to try something new and give our current manager, regardless of who he is, time to solve the deep problems that this club seems to be plagued by. This is especially appropriate at a time when it appears that there will be no more significant investment.
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3886
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Mon 16 Apr 2018, 8:15 pm

We can't keep sacking managers, so I'd give GR another season and target him on getting more pace, energy and midfield creativity into the team.

He got us to the dizzy height of second in the league at Christmas, so he was getting some things right. I'd like to think that the experience he's gained this season would be put to good use with a better balance of youth and experience.

There are some rubbish ex-managers out there. Be careful what you wish for.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Jul 2018, 8:34 am