COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Craig Ramage's team v Boro - is it yours?

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16149
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Craig Ramage's team v Boro - is it yours?

Post by RRC on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 7:55 am

Here's this week's Craig Ramage solution to our problems --

He explains his reasons in the Derby Telegraph.

Do you agree with Craig -- or do you have a different idea?

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14637
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: Craig Ramage's team v Boro - is it yours?

Post by MadAmster on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 8:19 am

Sound familiar Loughie? We, you more so than I, have suggested a back 3 regularly throughout the season. It will eliminate our 2 midfielders being overrun by 4 and 5 man midfields. It puts players with some pace in areas where pace will help and leaves us with only Tom Hudds as "not all that fast".

Ramage does query whether this is a good time to change but the cold, hard facts are that, in 2018, we have got 16 points from the last 15 games. If we are to have a chance of making the playoffs something needs to change. A move to a system where we utilise the players with pace that we have and gets round the "outnumbered in midfield" issue.

As for the players selected........ I read from the piece Keogh on the right, Pearce central and Davies on the left of the back 3. The visual shows Keogh central and Pearce on the right. I prefer the Keogh on the right version.....

Other choice could be 1-4-4-2 or 1-3-2-3-2. The 2 up top in both systems could also be 1-1.

Choice enough, however, I will be very pleasantly surprised if we do anything other than 1-4-2-3-1 and get overrun in midfield again.

As for the personnel, I would need to know more about Vydra's physical condition. I have had the thought that he is struggling with various niggles and has been for a good half a dozen games and might it be better to play a fit player (Thomas?) or an U23 striker in that role rather than Vyds as Boro are on a roll and will be up for it.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11586
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 8:48 am

I like the system but I would prefer to see a back three of Wisdom, Keogh and Davies but that would leave us short of a right wing back. Anya could, and has done that job but I don't think he's fit so maybe Hanson could do the job although I'm not sure that you should change a system unless you have the round pegs to fit into the round holes.
    RoytheRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Southampton-(home) 1965, lost 3-0
    Number of posts : 1025
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

Post by RoytheRam on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 10:25 am

RRC wrote:Here's this week's Craig Ramage solution to our problems --

He explains his reasons in the Derby Telegraph.

Do you agree with Craig -- or do you have a different idea?

With the exception of Thorne in for Huddlestone and Keogh on the right side of back 3 I'd go for that as being just about the best team for the job! If we'd got a better choice for right wing back it would be better, I'd then play Wisdom right side and Keogh central purely because he is more mobile and a tad faster than Pearce.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23342
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 12:25 pm

Palmer and Weimann both struggling with knocks this week apparently..

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 2:58 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:I like the system but I would prefer to see a back three of Wisdom, Keogh and Davies but that would leave us short of a right wing back. Anya could, and has done that job but I don't think he's fit so maybe Hanson could do the job although I'm not sure that you should change a system unless you have the round pegs to fit into the round holes.

Anya isn't fit which is why I had Keogh at right wing back........

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14680
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 11:45 pm

Somebody said that Keogh should be back in, in a back three, so he can dictate the play. I laughed.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5660
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 21 Apr 2018, 12:20 am

A big day for GR.

I'd play my quickest full backs against Adomah - so Wisdom and Olsson.

I feel a little odd picking the Swede, as I have absolutely no faith in him, but I believe Max Lowe isn't available, and Fozzy currently has the confidence of a one legged man in a bum kicking contest.

The key decision is Keogh.  Bring him back and GR has lost the control battle. A win, with RK, makes no difference, as it is somewhat phyrric for Gary.  

Unless he has a longer contract than Captain Calamity....which would explain some of the reports of "dressing room unrest" post Preston.

A draw, or even a defeat, without him, is better in the longer term.  

We also need pace.  Luke Thomas to start - ahead of either Lawrence or Weimann,  take your pick, Gary.

Give us some hope that you are learning from the past three months - no pace, no youth, and no serious attackig intent.  We know it ain't going to change overnight, but let's at least see that you have seen some light for next season.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1802
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sat 21 Apr 2018, 12:32 am

Stocky..Adomah plays for Villa. Traore I think you meant!
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 21 Apr 2018, 12:37 am

valakari wrote:Stocky..Adomah plays for Villa. Traore I think you meant!

Apologies Val - Adama Traore it is indeed.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sat 21 Apr 2018, 7:22 am

Stockport Ram wrote:A big day for GR.

I feel a little odd picking the Swede, as I have absolutely no faith in him, but I believe Max Lowe isn't available, and Fozzy currently has the confidence of a one legged man in a bum kicking contest.

The key decision is Keogh.  Bring him back and GR has lost the control battle. A win, with RK, makes no difference, as it is somewhat phyrric for Gary.  

Unless he has a longer contract than Captain Calamity....which would explain some of the reports of "dressing room unrest" post Preston.

We also need pace.  Luke Thomas to start - ahead of either Lawrence or Weimann,  take your pick, Gary.

Give us some hope that you are learning from the past three months - no pace, no youth, and no serious attackig intent.  We know it ain't going to change overnight, but let's at least see that you have seen some light for next season.

Max is on loan at Shrewsbury till the end of the season Stockers so most definitely not available.

I believe Olsson is not yet fit so also unavailable. Anya might be another option but I think he too hasn't fully recovered from his injury. Problems, problems.

Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 21 Apr 2018, 9:05 am

MadAmster wrote:

Max is on loan at Shrewsbury till the end of the season Stockers so most definitely not available.

I believe Olsson is not yet fit so also unavailable. Anya might be another option but I think he too hasn't fully recovered from his injury. Problems, problems.

I'd be quite happy to lose today and win on Tuesday...
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4845
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sat 21 Apr 2018, 9:22 am

Stockport Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

I'd be happy to win today and on Tuesday! The players owe us.
    outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1341
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Sat 21 Apr 2018, 10:03 am

Stockport Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

Anger Bang head
    outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1341
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Sat 21 Apr 2018, 10:06 am

SawleyRam wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

I'd be happy to win today and on Tuesday! The players owe us.

Respect Respect players owe GR AND DERBY till end of season

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Jul 2018, 3:35 am