Derby 3-1 Cardiff reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16149
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 3-1 Cardiff reports and comments

Post by RRC on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 9:47 pm

Derby made two changes to the team that lost to Middlesbrough, with Jerome and Weimann instead
    of Nugent and Vydra, who were on the bench.
          Carson
          Keogh Davies (c) Forsyth
          Wisdom Huddlestone Johnson Olsson
          Weimann Lawrence
          Jerome
          subs – Roos Pearce Hanson Ledley Palmer Vydra Nugent
    Cardiff made three changes to the team that started against Forest, with Bamba, Ward and Madine
    replacing Bryson, Wildschut and Zohore.

Cardiff attacked energetically from the start but the Rams wasted no time in getting forward when
    they won the ball. Johnson had the first shot, a volley which was deflected for a corner. Paterson
    received a yellow card for a blatant foul on Olsson after 10 minutes but referee Andy Madeley failed
    to book Bamba for a similar offence minutes later. Derby’s quick counter-attacks through Jerome,
    Lawrence and Weimann were a threat but Etheridge, the Cardiff keeper, made several important
    blocks to deny them. Johnson was very lucky to avoid conceding a penalty for handball.

The Rams won far fewer high balls in this game than usual and it was a deep cross by Bennett from
    the right that allowed Paterson to score with a well-taken volley at the far post on 28 minutes. This
    was followed by more lobs into the Derby box and the defence scrambled desperately to prevent
    another goal. At the other end, the Rams made lots of effort but their hopeful and over-hit final balls
    let them down as usual. The half was often frantic end to end but there was little quality on show
    and neither side managed more than one shot on target.
    HT Derby 0–1 Cardiff

The second half started with more of the same. Keogh burst forward and Manga got  booking for
    tripping him on the edge of the box. Lawrence blasted the free kick into the wall. Vydra replaced
    Olsson on the hour mark. Madine passed up a clear scoring chance. The Rams carried the attack
    to Cardiff but their poor passing meant that the visitors’ defence was not too stretched. Bennett
    was booked for a cynical foul on Vydra, who was clear with empty space ahead of him, and
    moments later Ralls was booked for another deliberate foul on him.

The ball fell to Jerome after a bout of header tennis around the Cardiff box and he beat the keepe
    to level the scores on 69 minutes. Derby pressed hard in attack and won a succession of corners
    but, as so often, they didn’t look like scoring from them. Their efforts were rewarded when
    Wisdom beat his man on the right wing and pulled the ball back to Vydra, who gave the keeper no
    chance with his 82nd-minute goal.

Cardiff threw everything at Derby in an effort to retrieve a point but their shooting was wild and
    the Derby defence survived somehow. Hanson and Pearce replaced Weimann and Lawrence on 88
    minutes, ignoring the maxim about attack being the best form of defence. Cardiff’s concentration
    on attack left their defence bare and, in a very quick Derby break, Jerome, assisted by Wisdom,
    scored his second goal on the stroke of full time. This was much better performance by Derby,
    who worked hard for 90 minutes and adapted well to new formation as the match went on.
    FT Derby 3–1 Cardiff

The win lifts Derby back into the playoff places, a point behind Middlesbrough (5th, 72) and two
    ahead of Millwall (7th, 69). Despite the loss, Cardiff stay 2nd, a point ahead of Fulham.

Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2795
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Re: Derby 3-1 Cardiff reports and comments

Post by Calif_Ramette on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 9:51 pm

This was a massive win and massive confidence boost. Other than the Hull trashing this was also the only other time I was able to watch Derby win. I am on cloud 9 right now.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23342
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 10:34 pm

The abuse prior to the game regarding Rowetts team selection was disgusting ..so many experts.
    Keogh for me started the 2nd half onslaught by showing some life and endeavour .
    The big lad up front never quit and just battled...I’m pleased for him.

Lastly all the talk prior to tonight was how fu**ed we are if we don’t go up due to our aging squad etc.

Cardiff will most likely get automatic promotion and they are a PUB team they made our B Davies playoff team look like Barcelona .
    With their big throws booted clearances and direct play.
    Don’t tell me you cannot patch together a team to get out of this league.
    They were as basic as it comes .
    Well done Derby

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6382
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 11:00 pm

It's the hope that kills you in the end.

I want to believe that we're not going to Wembley. My head says that we're not going to Wembley, yet my completely stupid heart can't quite let it go.

Why can't I like rugby or golf? Why can't I support a different team?

Damn football and damn Derby County. Just leave me alone.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5660
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 11:23 pm

CornwallRam wrote:It's the hope that kills you in the end.

I want to believe that we're not going to Wembley. My head says that we're not going to Wembley, yet my completely stupid heart can't quite let it go.

Why can't I like rugby or golf? Why can't I support a different team?

Damn football and damn Derby County. Just leave me alone.

Exactly. a 9-0 defeat on Saturday at Villa and we're almost goosed.

It's a bit like footballing euthanasia but with a diluted dose.  Just let us enjoy the summer,  free of all this vain hope.

Although winning at Wembley with a Jamie Ward own goal in the 99th minute would be nice....
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 11:25 pm

Oh, and by the way...Cardiff are really poor.
    dcfcgaz

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 1773
    Registration date : 2010-08-30

Post by dcfcgaz on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 12:36 am

Stockport Ram wrote:Oh,  and by the way...Cardiff are really poor.
    They remind me of Stoke when they got promoted, some big lads that intimidate, but credit to Cameron Jerome he fecked em lol
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 1:01 am

MadAmster wrote: (post Middlesbro):

"A huge improvement on recent performances. We actually had 16 shots, 7 of which were on target. There was effort energy and givafuquedness about the performance.  Add the final pass to the equation and we can win on Tuesday."

To no one's surprise, MA has nailed it again.

His Wisdom (a contender for MOTM, by the way) has shown us how we were able to beat a very average Cardiff side tonight.

I doubt that wing backs will work at Villa, but you never know. Keogh was an absolute bloody nightmare defensively again tonight, as was Fozzy, but somehow because we wanted to get on the front foot at every opportunity, we got away with it.

I want to get hold of Jeff Goldblum's pod in The Fly.

Put Keogh in, and add Stimac's brain. Put Lawrence in, and add Eranio's intelligence. Put Jerome in, and add Martin's awareness and touch. Put Vydra in...and add cotton wool.

Brentford's last minute equaliser may yet prove to be a hammer blow to both Fulham and ourselves....but I hope not.
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 771
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 1:25 am

Hopefully we can hang on to sixth and they slip back into third. I have no interest in two matches against Fulham at present.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14637

Post by MadAmster on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 8:09 am

Like Stockers, I think we may well utilise a different system at Villa. If we do, I don't care what that system is.......................... as long as it isn't one where we have just the 2 in midfield and they play 4 or 5.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 10:33 am

..... and, failure to back up last night's wonderful job at Villa and at home to Barnsley would be abserbloodylootly criminal.

BTW - Winning our last 2 would give us 29 points from 22 games in 2018. What odds could you have got back in August forecasting less than 30 points from the last 22 and still be in the playoffs.......
    outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1341
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 10:57 am

MadAmster wrote:..... and, failure to back up last night's wonderful job at Villa and at home to Barnsley would be abserbloodylootly criminal.

BTW - Winning our last 2 would give us 29 points from 22 games in 2018. What odds could you have got back in August forecasting less than 30 points from the last 22 and still be in the playoffs.......

agree again, GR needed big display we show we can do it so do it again in the next 5 games Wink
    prideParkhead

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    First ever game : Derby 2 v 0 Liverpool 1975
    Number of posts : 548
    Registration date : 2011-01-08

Post by prideParkhead on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 3:04 pm

Despite the shit last three months finishing in the top six should be seen as an achievement for his first full season in charge for Rowett. Hope he sticks with this formation now for this season and beyond
    COYR

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11586
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 3:32 pm

What thouroughly entertaining match. It was so nice to walk away from the ground thinking "well I'm glad I was here for that one". The atmosphere was great which was clearly stoked up by recent events and maybe the lesson we can learn from last night, certainly from a fans point of view is that sometimes unconditional, vocal support is rewarded.

I thought that the first half was ok despite being behind, plenty of endeavor but maybe not enough quality with a couple of players looking a bit nervy. Forsyth in particular had a poor first 30 minutes but as the game wore on I thought he looked better and better. How Bradley Johnson wasn't punished for a clear hand ball is beyond me but maybe it's about time a dodgy refereeing decision went our way.

Our second half display was great, full of everything that was missing against Sunderland and Burton, let's just hope that we can carry the confidence we showed into our temaining games.

Just a few thoughts.

I love Andre Wisdom he seems indestructable, he is tough, quick and is always full of confidence, he may not be the most gifted but he never shirks anything.

Cardiff are f*ckin horrible, they'll do anything to win a fee kick, they tried to milk every challenge, whilst kicking lumps out of our players, they were also great at tactical fouling and appealing which they do for every decision.

One defining moment for me was Tom Lawrence's tackle on Junior Hoilett, I think that the fans and the team drew a lot form that and Cardiff thought that maybe we weren't going to lay down and die.

All round a really enjoyable game, let's hope that it wasn't a one off.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 6:04 pm

They might have had 3 penalties last night. The 1st thought was thank God one of the Madleys wasn't....... but it was. Andy.

I have been vocal about the two of them in the past as they always seem to ref against us. None of that last night. Andy obviously dislikes Colin more than he dislikes Derby. Fair play to him for once.
    need therapy

First ever game : Can,t remember
    Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2011-02-01

Post by need therapy on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 6:56 pm

Great to watch last night. Had a bit of everything. Well done Gary for being brave with the team selection and formation. Substitutes used at the right time too. If we can play like that over the next (hopefully few) matches then anything is possible. Nearly forgot to mention the fans who were awesome.
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 8:08 pm

Where on earth did that one come from? Probably the best performance for absolutely ages, and it lasted for the full 90 and beyond.

I had to watch this on  Sky because of work commitments, and ended up elated, satisfied and with a huge rucksack on my back rammed full of "What if's?" The obvious one: what if we had played like that all season? Or at least from January onwards? We would have been clear at the top. The 4-2-3-1 had been effective for a while, but it seems we had been found out, and needed something different, and this certainly was different, following up the potential we could see at the Middlesborough match.

The match itself: the game was pretty even in the first half, with one bit of poor defending being the difference. Given what we have had to endure recently, I was set to be happy to lose playing like that! But then, what do I know?

Andy Madley wasn't up to his usual standard, which means that he wasn't his usual vindictive self against the Rams. He started well, booking Patterson very early on, but then failed to nail Bamba for a cynical foul moments later, a shame because Bamba is a dirty so-and-so at the best of times. However, he missed a clear handball (elbow-ball, actually) by Bradley Johnson, so we got away with that one. Makes a change, doesn't it? The Cardiff goal was caused by one bit of bad defending by Ollson, who decided to close up to a striker already being marked by Forsyth. He consequently got under the ball, and it fell to Patterson, who put it away nicely.

We really got into them second half, and although they threatened (to score) on occasion, they looked like they almost expected an onslaught, and sat deep as a result. Our momentum made them start to look more and more unsettled, with the defence looking distinctly uncomfortable, and a Derby goal seemed inevitable. EVen so, Jerome had to resist a very heavy-handed leaning on him by the defence. He could have gone down, but it would have been opportunity gone. He resisted the pressure well and slotted the ball home. Wow!!!

I was delighted that Wisdom did so well for the second, especially his cut back to Vydra which was a brilliant ball. And Vydra doesn't miss those, smacking it home with pure delight. The third goal was poetic justice, because the ball started to get away from Jerome, but the foul-mouthed tweeter was so concerned with fouling him that he lost the run of the ball, and it was a simple finish for the third. Ha!!!!!

I don't know if Sky provide changes of underwear for their pundits - they started out fairly even, but after about 10-15 minutes they were wetting themselves time and time again about the Cardiff players. One occasion Jerome was wrestled and thrown to the ground near the touchline, and the pundits continued their diatribe about Cameron needing to use his strength better, completely ignoring the fact that he had been WWF'd to the floor. They really wanted to rave about Bennett's cynical foul on Vydra to stop a Rams attack, but had to say "we couldn't possibly condone that sort of attitude", the tone of voice giving away their real feelings. They also wanted play to be stopped for Hoillet's umpteenth career-ending injury, from which he got up once he realised the ref wasn't interested. He didn't necessarily deserve a yellow for his rolling around in agony at the slightest hint of physical contact, but he should be well in line for an Equity card! But it typified Cardiff's game play - cheat, foul, con the ref and be absolutely mardy about it at every occasion. I though Wolves and Middlesborough were bad, but they've got nothing against this lot. Very crude and basic.

As I've already said, this is the first time for ages that we have seen a performance as good as this for the entire length of the match. I am not sure if it is right to single out one player, the whole lot did brilliantly. Well done, you Rams
    KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 9:58 pm

We did well because:

1. Cardiff were poor in general and especially in front of goal. They could have been a couple of more goals up by half-time;
    2. Cardiff were poor at the back and gifted us a couple of goals;
    3. The ref was kind to us with the Johnson handball (a cert penno), the pull on Madine and the ankle tap on their sub CF near the end;
    4. Vydra buried his one chance whereas he has missed it in a few recent games;
    5. The new formation creates more opportunities for players to attack - which they did when their heads were up in the 2nd half;
    6. Jerome did well v their big, slow CHs;
    7. Other than Olssen for their goal and Forsyth at times, none of our players played badly or made costly mistakes;
    8. For large parts of the game we played with energy, enthusiasm and power.

It was a decent performance - but with a decent amount of fortune too.

Hopefully we'll get more of the same for the next month and a bit.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1802
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 10:05 pm

Bloody he'll.. no mention of Keogh..you always go quiet on him when he plays well..he carried the game to them which gave us the impetus...but you couldn't just for once praise him...just like when he was playing fabulously for a dozen games on the trot..you went quiet then too though so I expect nothing less!
    Mitten State Ram

Post by Mitten State Ram on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 12:13 am

Definitely got some luck back our way on the penalty call--100% handball by Johnson. No idea what the ref was looking at. Thankfully something else.
    Mitten State Ram

Post by Mitten State Ram on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 12:19 am

MadAmster wrote:..... and, failure to back up last night's wonderful job at Villa and at home to Barnsley would be abserbloodylootly criminal.

This entire division is a steaming pile of mediocrity, and if Derby get promoted from it via the playoffs (which we won't), it would be a gross miscarriage of justice. I don't know about you lot, but I'm more than ready for a miscarriage of justice to occur in our favour. If we're promoted without deserving it, I could not possibly care less.
    New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23342
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 4:08 am

valakari wrote:Bloody he'll.. no mention of Keogh..you always go quiet on him when he plays well..he carried the game to them which gave us the impetus...but you couldn't just for once praise him...just like when he was playing fabulously for a dozen games on the trot..you went quiet then too though so I expect nothing less!

Keogh !!!

Post number 3 of this thread ...second line !

asotrsott

First ever game : Derby V Telford Utd 1984
    Number of posts : 453
    Registration date : 2013-07-05

Post by asotrsott on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 6:47 am

I voted for Keogh too! Played his arse off! Good on him! Clapping Toast
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 7:48 am

Mitten State Ram wrote:

This entire division is a steaming pile of mediocrity, and if Derby get promoted from it via the playoffs (which we won't), it would be a gross miscarriage of justice. I don't know about you lot, but I'm more than ready for a miscarriage of justice to occur in our favour. If we're promoted without deserving it, I could not possibly care less.

My perspective is that we have been top 6 for most of the season and therefore are one of the sides that deserve a shot at the title. The 2 sides that finish in the auto places deserve their promotion. Whether that is because they play the best football (Wolves, Fulham, Villa) or that they are masters at thuggery (you know who). If we finish top 6 then we deserve that shot. If we then win that then we will deserve promotion.

You say that the division is a pile of mediocrity. Whether you are right or wrong is, IMO, completely irrelevant. The only relevance is that the top 2 get promoted automatically as they have, over a 46 games season, gained more points than the rest and will deserve their promotion by virtue of being the best 2.

The next 4 sides then extend their season by 2 or 3 games in the playoffs. The winner of the playoffs will have earned their promotion over a 49 game season. Sometimes it will be the better footballing side. Sometimes it will be the side that is best organised and treads that fine line between the acceptable and the unacceptable on the pitch.

How we decide which 3 teams get promoted is set in stone. Those 3 teams have earned (deserve) that promotion. The quality, or lack of it, in any particular season is irrelevant. From August in any given season we all know what the rules are. Following the rules, the 3 promoted teams have earned and deserve their promotion.

Yes, even QPR (and you have no idea how much I hate writing that), as they won 1-0 in the final for no other reason than that we failed to earn/deserve promotion through our failure to find the back of the net at Wembley.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1802
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 8:10 am

New England Ram wrote:
    valakari wrote:Bloody he'll.. no mention of Keogh..you always go quiet on him when he plays well..he carried the game to them which gave us the impetus...but you couldn't just for once praise him...just like when he was playing fabulously for a dozen games on the trot..you went quiet then too though so I expect nothing less!
    sorry. This was aimed at keoghkeogh

Keogh !!!

Post number 3 of this thread ...second line !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Jul 2018, 3:26 am