Aston Villa 1-1 Derby reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16149
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Aston Villa 1-1 Derby reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sat 28 Apr 2018, 5:24 pm

Derby made one change to the starting eleven against Cardiff with Pearce instead of Olsson (bench).
          Carson
          Keogh Davies (c) Pearce
          Wisdom Huddlestone Johnson Forsyth
          Weimann Lawrence
          Jerome
          subs – Roos Olsson Hanson Ledley Palmer Vydra Nugent
    Villa made three changes to the team that started against Ipswich with Terry, Adomah and Snodgrass
    replacing Jedinak, Lansbury and Hogan, who were among the subs.

Villa were on the attack in the first few minutes and Derby had some nervous moments. The Rams
    replied with some quick counter-attacks with better one-touch passing. On 16 minutes, Weimann beat
    Taylor near the right corner and his excellent pass was met by Jerome’s header to give Derby the lead.
    Following the goal the Rams had a good spell with Lawrence and Jerome testing Villa’s slow centre
    backs, Terry and Chesters.

Villa's attacks were well-defended, notably by Davies and Carson, who made two fine saves. From the
    middle of the half the home side were relentless in attack and Derby were under the cosh. Grabban
    and Chesters had good chances to score from crosses by Adomah and Snodgrass but they both
    headed over the bar. At times made better use of their new formation, being quick and flexible, and
    getting forward in numbers.
    HT Aston Villa 0 -1 Derby

Derby were positive at the start of the second half and Johnson won their first corner of the match.Tom
    Lawrence broke well but his long shot was saved. Before long Villa pushed them back and they did
    almost all the attacking for the rest of the half, with Rams often inviting them on by defending too deep.
    Carson had to make a great save to deny Hourihane and Jerome made a chance for Weimann.  whose
    shot was blocked, Vydra replaced Lawrence on 67 minutes. Hourihane scuffed a sitter wide and lots of
    Villa's shot were poor. Hanson came on for Pearce on 72 minutes.

Villa's attacking was relentless and Carson made two more great saves. A rare Rams attack came from
    a solo run by Weimann, whose shot was saved. Kodija hit the post with a fine header. Palmer replaced
    Weimann on 80 minutes. Carson made two more great saves but he parried the second into the area.
    After a scramble, it reached Grabban who netted the equaliser with a simple shot from close range on
    84 minutes. Resolute defending, led by Davies, denied Villa a win and gained a crucial point for Derby.
    Aston Villa 1-1 Derby

The draw keeps Derby in 6th. level on 72 points with Middlesbrough (5th), who play Millwall (8th, 69)
    at tea-time. Preston (7th, 70) beat Sheffield United, and Brentford (9th, 68) lost 0-2 to the Rams'
    next opponents, Barnsley.

Last edited by RRC on Sat 28 Apr 2018, 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11586
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Re: Aston Villa 1-1 Derby reports and comments

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 28 Apr 2018, 5:31 pm

We sounded pretty fortunate but who cares, a draw is a top result and something we'd have taken with glee if we were offered it last Saturday evening.

Middlesborough win would be nice now.
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2435
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Sat 28 Apr 2018, 6:24 pm

Preston have Burton at home and we have Barnsley, interesting last day where both can do each other a favour

Cracking result today, shame it was a scrambled goal but they hit the bar and post a few times

Who said Jerome was pony?? Embarassed
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14637
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sat 28 Apr 2018, 6:54 pm

They can't complain about us taking the lead and we were good for it for the opening 30. Under pressure but seeming in control. last 15 of the 1st half they pressed and harried but had just the one shot on target. Last half hour we were under the cosh, possibly defending to deep but they took advantage and we can't complaint they they scrambled 1 in.

Boro currently beating Millwall which is good. If it stays that way a draw at home to Barnsley will be enough provided PNE don't beat Burton by 9 goals.
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2795
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sat 28 Apr 2018, 8:34 pm

I thought we would lose so getting a point isn't a horrible result. Still in a playoff place and if we don't bottle it on the last day we should stay there. It seems Jerome is finally finding the back of the net too which is good.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23342
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sat 28 Apr 2018, 9:43 pm

Got penned in second half but Villa were playing with little to no pressure on them.
    Distant chance at 2nd but they didn’t have to play tight at all be different in the playoffs when there is pressure on .

KeoghKeogh

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 700
    Registration date : 2015-12-30

Post by KeoghKeogh on Sat 28 Apr 2018, 10:15 pm

Seeing as Valakari seems keen for me to precis Keogh.

Anybody notice what he was up to when they scored?

I can only think that he was thinking that he ought to get in a good position to lead a breakaway for us if they missed.

Unlike his defensive and midfield companions who tried to intercept what was happening / block the ball, Keogh watched what was happening for a bit from his starting position (which was quite useful being near to our post), then he wandered away from goal in the opposite direction to the ball. His finishing position was close to the edge of our box.

Anybody else notice this? Any thoughts about this piece of 'defending' Valakari?

Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 771
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sun 29 Apr 2018, 12:19 am

Nice that we could end up having donated Burton the three points that keep them up while still making the playoffs ourselves. I hope they can return the favour by taking a point from PNE while we condemn Barnsley to take their spot in division 3.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 29 Apr 2018, 7:53 am

Mitten State Ram wrote:Nice that we could end up having donated Burton the three points that keep them up while still making the playoffs ourselves. I hope they can return the favour by taking a point from PNE while we condemn Barnsley to take their spot in division 3.

Barnsley's GD is 20 odd better than Burton's. For Burton to go up they HAVE to win and then hope Barnsley don't.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 29 Apr 2018, 8:06 am

Burton and Barnsley can both still catch Brum and Reading who play Fulham and Cardiff respectively so the 4 teams directly involved at the top, play the 4 teams directly involved at the bottom with most things still possible.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 29 Apr 2018, 8:27 am

I'm hoping that the fact that Barnsley have to come and play for a win will give us a good chance against them rather than having to play against an 11 man defence
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 771
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sun 29 Apr 2018, 10:36 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    Mitten State Ram wrote:Nice that we could end up having donated Burton the three points that keep them up while still making the playoffs ourselves. I hope they can return the favour by taking a point from PNE while we condemn Barnsley to take their spot in division 3.

Barnsley's GD is 20 odd better than Burton's. For Burton to go up they HAVE to win and then hope Barnsley don't.

Well, then I hope they take all three. Seems far less likely, alas.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5660
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 7:14 am

KeoghKeogh wrote:Seeing as Valakari seems keen for me to precis Keogh.

I can only think that he was thinking that he ought to get in a good position to lead a breakaway for us if they missed.

Unlike his defensive and midfield companions who tried to intercept what was happening / block the ball, Keogh watched what was happening for a bit from his starting position (which was quite useful being near to our post), then he wandered away from goal in the opposite direction to the ball. His finishing position was close to the edge of our box.

Anybody else notice this? Any thoughts about this piece of 'defending' Valakari?

Sorry KK, I chose this game to watch Carson for 94 minutes.....
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1802
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 7:35 am

sorry I thought one of our players tried to clear it and only managed to kick it into Huddlestone. The ball rebounded straight to Grabban who was 3 yards out and he kicked it in!
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 8:33 am

This is beginning to border on an obsession.

To try and single out a player for blame in a goal mouth scramble is ridiculous. What exactly are you blaming him for? Moving out of his original position? Not being in a position to join in the scramble? Just because there is nobody to blame? Just because he's Richard Keogh?

The defence as a unit did well on Saturday, and it was an important point, so lets just praise the players for the parts they played.
    outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1341
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 8:48 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:

To try and single out a player for blame in a goal mouth scramble is ridiculous. What exactly are you blaming him for? Moving out of his original position? Not being in a position to join in the scramble? Just because there is nobody to blame? Just because he's Richard Keogh?

The defence as a unit did well on Saturday, and it was an important point, so lets just praise the players for the parts they played.

they scored from a goal mouth scramble up till then we defended the second half vigorously and with good success. Keogh did not do many runs forward and did what he there to do defend. Curtis played outstanding for me.
    whestonram

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 6:39 pm

I noticed I after you said. You're correct, that's what he did, but it had no influence on the goal being scored, and perhaps he's correct to move away from the goal line in reasonable anticipation of the ball being cleared.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 8:02 pm

outsider wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:

they scored from a goal mouth scramble up till then we defended the second half vigorously and with good success. Keogh did not do many runs forward and did what he there to do defend. Curtis played outstanding for me.

Haven't seen the full 90 from Villa yet so can't comment.

The idea that KK's comments border on an obsession is probably a little over the top, based on RK's performances since Hudds' has been somewhat released as his permanent minder, about 8 or 9 games ago. He was dropped for two of those, and I haven't seen Villa yet, so thats half a dozen. Here's four of those six which immediately spring to mind:

-Assombalonga's goal. RK runs away from him to double mark someone on the opposite side of the goal. Britt was his man, and has time to dummy Carson before scoring.

Reading. Scored, but also ridiculously out of position for their second and third, both times making challenges he couldn't possibly win and leaving Davies stranded.

Leeds. Lets Lasogga just run straight past him for a free header for their first. Doesn't even try to get back for their second, just jogs. Is close to the half way line when they score.....in his channel again.

Sunderland. As stationary as a Da Vinci model for their fourth. Even his Mum might have blamed him for their second.

Four games out of six.

By no means is he the only player to make mistakes in these games, but their cost alone (regardless of the rank amateurishness of them) makes KK's focus more reasonable than obsessive.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 8:38 pm

I think singling Keogh out for criticism, whilst always neglecting to mention any of the good things he does, after every game,win, lose or draw is bordering on obsession, especially when he has little or no responsibility for the goal conceded, as on Saturday.

Maybe if he felt that a small vocal element the fans weren't so vehemently against him, he may play better.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 9:22 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:I think singling Keogh out for criticism, whilst always neglecting to mention any of the good things he does, after every game,win, lose or draw is bordering on obsession, especially when he has little or no responsibility for the goal conceded, as on Saturday.

Maybe if he felt that a small vocal element the fans weren't so vehemently against him, he may play better.

Thumbs up
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 10:31 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:I think singling Keogh out for criticism, whilst always neglecting to mention any of the good things he does, after every game,win, lose or draw is bordering on obsession, especially when he has little or no responsibility for the goal conceded, as on Saturday.

I have to assume that you are replying to my post, as you haven't quoted, as you did previously.
    I am watching the Villa game now, on Rams TV. and I hope as always that he has a stormer.

I think my post might have mentioned that he scored.

Yours is an opinion.

Mine is an opinion.

You didn't counter with any evidence.  I did.

I have never booed Keogh. I have never doubted his desire to give his best.
    What I have consistently opined, backed up with examples, many of which predicate Wembley, is that he is a walking liability.

I await evidence to the contrary.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1802
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Tue 01 May 2018, 12:13 am

Hers is evidence. Player of The year for Carlisle. Player of the Year for Coventry. TWICE Player of the Year for Derby County....Stocky..you and Keogh Keogh both have an unhealthy obsession that obviously the majority of fans at all 3 clubs don't agree with. Find something else to moan about!
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 01 May 2018, 12:37 am

Almost ever present in a relegated Coventry team. Ever present the saeason before, when they slumped.

A regular in a Carlisle team which never threatened promotion from League One, and finished lower that when he joined them on a permanent basis.

Then at Derby.

Them's the facts.

Most fans haven't a clue. Such is life, eh?
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 01 May 2018, 7:51 am

Crikey he's also to blame for Coventrys lack of success and Carlisles LOL roll LOL roll
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 01 May 2018, 8:09 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:Crikey he's also to blame for Coventrys lack of success and Carlisles LOL roll LOL roll

Looking at the discussion from my helicopter.....

.... and........................ the penny drops Wink

This whole thing depends, it seems, whether you believe in coincidence or not.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Jul 2018, 3:34 am