Derby 4-1 Barnsley reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16103
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 4-1 Barnsley reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sun 06 May 2018, 2:34 pm

Derby made one change to their last starting eleven with Olsson at left midfield instead of Forsyth,
    who moved the left back instead of Pearce (bench).
          Carson
          Keogh Davies (c) Forsyth
          Wisdom Huddlestone Johnson Olsson
          Weimann Lawrence
          Jerome
          subs – Roos Pearce Hanson Ledley Palmer Vydra Nugent
    Barnsley named the team that finished the match in their 2-0 win over Brentford.

The match started quietly with Barnsley sitting back to stifle Derby. Olsson had the game’s first shot,
    after a layoff by Weimann, forcing a great save by the keeper. A good counter-attack by the visitors was
    an early warning for the Rams. A Weimann shot was blocked for Derby’s second corner, which came to
    nothing like the first. Lawrence was booked for a two-footed challenge. On 14 minutes Johnson won the
    ball, his fine  pass set Jerome free and Jerome’s great finish from a difficult angle gave Derby the lead.

The goal meant that Barnsley had to attack more, which they did with energy, and the Rams had to
    defend for a spell and they might have been lucky in that the referee ignored Barnsley’s claims for a
    penalty. This gave the Rams more space for their attacks and Wisdom made a chance for Keogh,
    whose shot rattled the crossbar. Jerome netted the rebound but it was ruled out for handball. Olsson
    was carried off with a knee injury on 38 minutes to be replaced by Vydra and the Rams reverted to
    their 4-2-3-1 formation. Derby had plenty more attacks, mainly led by Lawrence and Weimann, but
    their final passes seldom opened up the packed Barnsley defence. The positive performance gave
    the Rams a good foundation to secure their place in the playoffs.
    HT Derby 1-0 Barnsley

Barnsley were down to ten men briefly when McBurnie, who had looked ill from the start of the match,
    had to leave the field. Quiet build up play gave Johnson a chance to take a shot, which the keeper
    pushed wide for a corner. Barnsley were limited to rare counter attacks. Johnson rode several tackles
    to set up another chance for Jerome but his shot was just wide. Jerome made a fine run and his
    precision pass gave Vydra the opening to score his 22nd goal on 55 minutes.

Jerome was replaced by Nugent on 66 minutes. Two minutes later Weimann and Vydra made a chance for
    Nugent, who scored with his second touch of the game. A quick free kick by Huddlestone to Nugent, and
    his pass, hooked over his shoulder, found Lawrence, who scored Derby’s fourth goal on 71 minutes. Vydra
    had another chance but he missed with his header. Derby switched off, their play became sloppy again, and
    Moncur scored a very good goal giving Carson no chance. In trying to play out time the Rams lost most of
    their momentum in attack. Ledley replaced Lawrence on 87 minutes. This pleasing performance gives the
    Rams some real hope for the playoffs.
    FT Derby 4-1 Barnsley

Today’s results meant that Derby stay 6th and will play off against Fulham, who lost at Birmingham. A late
    goal by Bamford kept Middlesbrough in 5th place with a draw at Ipswich and they will play off with Aston
    Villa, who lost at Millwall. Cardiff got automatic promotion with a draw against Reading. At the other end of
    the table, Burton’s loss by a late goal to Preston meant that they were relegated along with Barnsley.

Matej Vydra won the Championship's Golden Boot.

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11512
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Re: Derby 4-1 Barnsley reports and comments

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 06 May 2018, 4:03 pm

Comfortable, confident performance, which is exactly what we need going into the play offs. Most players did well but I thought that Forsyth was almost back to his old self.

Bring on Fulham, absolutely nothing to be scared of.
    Mitten State Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 760
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sun 06 May 2018, 5:22 pm

We haven't been worthy of top flight status over the course of the season, but we're nonetheless capable of beating every other team in the playoffs if we catch them right. Jerome and Nugent have found their scoring boots at the right time, and Vydra, Lawrence and Wiemann are all playing their best presently, too. We don't have be better than Fulham and Co., we just have to be better than them over the next three matches.

Anything is possible. Certainly being the only top six side to enter the playoffs on an emphatic win can't hurt.
    Mucker1884

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10289
    Registration date : 2009-07-22

Post by Mucker1884 on Sun 06 May 2018, 6:32 pm

Last day defeats for Villa & Fulham. "Just" a draw for Boro. The aforementioned emphatic win for us.
    Fulham in particular will be feeling the lowest (of the four), not even getting the win they needed to stand a chance of autos.
    Finishing 6th takes all the pressure off us, as the pundits will have us as outsiders.
    Having witnessed what we have for the majority of this season, the pressure will be off (again) as the fans expectations will also be low!
    Four goals... Four scorers... and all from forwards, whose job it is to score/create, so ample confidence up front.
    We know that on it's day, our defence "can be" up there with the best of 'em, at this level.
    Some say it's an advantage to play the second leg at home, but it could be argued, with an in-form forward line, the job could be done in the first leg, and let the defence do theirs... as we know they can... come the return leg.

Low expectations... hitting form... Pressure off... confident frontline... capable defence... Hmmm...

Pray COYR

#itsthehopethatkillsyer
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14463
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sun 06 May 2018, 6:46 pm

Throrughly professional performance op to 4-0. The defence, most notably Wisdom then took their foot off the pedal.

The MUST NOT happen again this season.

Carson was never troubled and could do nothing about the one they got. Foxxy had his best game of the season so far. Davies was again a rock. Wisdom played well up to the 4-0 and then seemed to think it was all over. The only negative on Keogh was his not passing soon enough and giving the ball away. Do that in the nexty two or three games and we will fall. Huddlestone was majestic without breaking sweat in 20 odd degrees. Johnson had an outstanding game. Lawrence had a goal (and an assist?) and was busy. My issue with him is that he is too easily knocked off the ball and 90% of his tackles are fouls. Weimann had another good game. Olsson was looking good up to his injury. Jerome also had a good game.

I was surprised we changed formation when Olsson got injured. I expected Pearce to come on and play in the middle of the 3 with Fozzy moving up to wing back. It was, instead, back to 1-4-2-3-1 and it worked against Barnsley. Not so sure it will in the playoffs.

Happy bunny all the same.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5636
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 06 May 2018, 6:49 pm

So. Sixth.

Not a bang average season after all.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 06 May 2018, 7:03 pm

Come off it Stocky, we've been told all season we are in a very false and way too high position Wink

Still up there at season's end despite just 20 points from our first 19 games of 2018 shows that we are contenders. Especially now we have remembered how to win again.

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 06 May 2018, 7:05 pm

Any news on Jeromes injury, he would be a big miss for the play offs if he was out.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23268
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Mon 07 May 2018, 12:23 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:Any news on Jeromes injury, he would be a big miss for the play offs if he was out.
    Was he injured ?
    Said nothing on the tv thought it was just a “ have a rest “ substitution.

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 07 May 2018, 12:29 am

Have to laugh we are all ( myself included) playing the “ low expectations “ card.
    Five minutes into Friday that card will be well and truly discarded if things are not going smoothly.

My hope is that Fulham really bottled what was a pressure game for them today and that they continue with that run.
    I think we will need a couple of lucky breaks to sneak by them but who knows.
    Thankfully there is not long to wait for matchday.

Mitten State Ram

Post by Mitten State Ram on Mon 07 May 2018, 2:38 am

Personally, I've never struggled to both have low expectations of Derby AND be extremely pissed off when Derby meet my low expectations. I see no inconsistency. Inconsistency it may be, but I refuse to see it.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 07 May 2018, 3:13 am

Mitten State Ram wrote:Personally, I've never struggled to both have low expectations of Derby AND be extremely pissed off when Derby meet my low expectations. I see no inconsistency. Inconsistency it may be, but I refuse to see it.

LOL

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 07 May 2018, 7:30 am

IMO we have nothing to fear in the playoffs. Playing any of the other 3 was never going to be easy but we beat Villa 3-1 over 2 League games, Boro 4-3 and lost 3-2 to Fulham. A close result over the 2 legs is my expectation.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 07 May 2018, 8:41 am

New England Ram wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:Any news on Jeromes injury, he would be a big miss for the play offs if he was out.
    Was he injured ?

He stretched for a cross from Vydra and immediately looked at the bench and signalled to come off, and he was substituted the next time the ball went dead. Hopefully it was nothing.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 07 May 2018, 10:54 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Was he injured ?

He stretched for a cross from Vydra and immediately looked at the bench and signalled to come off, and he was substituted the next time the ball went dead. Hopefully it was nothing.

Bugger...didn’t see that

whestonram

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 325
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Mon 07 May 2018, 12:30 pm

New England Ram wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Was he injured ?

Bugger...didn’t see that

GR says he's ok
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 07 May 2018, 12:40 pm

Good news because he is in top form at the moment and looking a snip at £1.5m
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 08 May 2018, 11:31 am

Just watched the replay. Jerome's disallowed effort. Why? It certainly wasn't offside.
    Mitten State Ram

Post by Mitten State Ram on Tue 08 May 2018, 12:23 pm

MadAmster wrote:Just watched the replay. Jerome's disallowed effort. Why? It certainly wasn't offside.

Handball, they said. I guess as he brought his thigh up to his torso to help control the ball rocketing back off the bar there was a little hand in there too, so far as the linesman was concerned. I never spotted it, and RamsTV didn't give a good replay live either. So bugger knows.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 08 May 2018, 12:50 pm

Mitten State Ram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:Just watched the replay. Jerome's disallowed effort. Why? It certainly wasn't offside.

Handball, they said. I guess as he brought his thigh up to his torso to help control the ball rocketing back off the bar there was a little hand in there too, so far as the linesman was concerned. I never spotted it, and RamsTV didn't give a good replay live either. So bugger knows.

Thanks Mitts Thumbs up
    rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2210
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Tue 08 May 2018, 1:45 pm

who knows which rams team will turn up - hopefully Fulham will continue their "not getting promoted" hangover and we stuff them Friday - I think both Villa and Boro are beatable - but then so are the rams....
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 08 May 2018, 10:21 pm

I think that this year is the tightest play off quartet there has ever been. in my opinion there are no outsiders, all four teams can be optimistic of promotion while being wary of the other three teams, and all four would have expected to reach the top six, even if some of their fans had reservations.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 25 May 2018, 4:10 am