COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Fulham 2-0 Derby SECOND LEG playoff reports and comments (2-1 on aggregate)

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16103
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Fulham 2-0 Derby SECOND LEG playoff reports and comments (2-1 on aggregate)

Post by RRC on Mon 14 May 2018, 9:51 pm

Derby made one change to Friday’s starting eleven with Anya instead of Vydra.
    Anya played on the left of the midfield four and Weimann moved forward.
          Carson
          Keogh Davies (c) Forsyth
          Wisdom Huddlestone Johnson Anya
          Weimann Lawrence
          Jerome
          subs – Roos Pearce Hanson Ledley Vydra Palmer Nugent
    Fulham also made one change with the pacey Kamara instead of Ayite up front.

The tactics of both sides were the same as at the start of the first leg with Derby pressing
    hard in midfield and Fulham trying to attack down the wings. Fulham had the first shot, a
    long distance effort by Cairney, which was easy for Carson. Derby countered and the Fulham
    keeper only just beat Weimann to Lawrence’s cross. A rapid Fulham break isolated Davies
    against three attackers but Carson made the save from Sessegnon. Kamara, who was well
    outpaced by Lawrence, ended a quick Derby break with a cynical foul. Fulham often tried,
    unsuccessfully, to walk the ball into the net. They had far more possession and a few shots
    but none that actually troubled Carson.

Jerome moved too soon to take advantage of a fine run and cross by Anya. Weimann resisted
    McDonald’s blatant attempt to foul him and the move gave Johnson the chance to shoot but
    his attempt was well wide. Another Derby attack was halted by Odoi’s foul on Jerome. The
    referee, Chris Kavanagh, did little to protect the Rams from Fulham’s unorthodox method of
    defending, though he did ignore Mitrovic's regular attempts to claim free kicks and penalties.
    As the half ended Fulham found more space and Carson had to make three stunning saves to
    stop Fulham from scoring. The Rams generally kept their shape well and stuck to their task
    resolutely, but their counter-attacks were a bit less frequent than in the first leg, with some
    promising moves breaking down through misplaced passes.
    HT Fulham 0–0 Derby

At the start of the second half a Rams attack broke down, leading to Fulham moving the ball
    quickly into the Derby box where Johansen outjumped his markers. His knockdown found
    Sessegnon, who scored a sitter on 47 minutes. Fulham pushed hard for a second goal and the
    Rams had to defend well to keep them out. A Derby counter-attack ended with the Fulham
    keeper making a save at the near post from Johnson. Mitrovic made chances for himself but
    his strikes were just off target. Jerome was away, with Lawrence free on his right, but he was
    tripped from behind by Johansen who was booked. Odoi gave Fulham the aggregate lead on
    66 minutes when he rose higher than Forsyth and directed a superb header which gave
    Carson no chance.

Derby made two substitutions immediately with Vydra and Palmer on for Anya and Lawrence.
    Palmer soon beat his marker on the right and his fine cross to found Weimann in space but
    Weimann’s header missed the target. Kamara broke clear and Carson came outside the box
    to meet him, whereupon Kamara decided that diving was the easy option. The referee booked
    him for his pains. Nugent replaced Jerome on 75 minutes. The play became end to end as the
    Rams pressed for a goal and Huddestone was booked for a poor tackle when the home side
    countered. As in the regular season, Derby’s final passes often let them down and Fulham
    looked more likely to score. As the Rams tired, there were too many hopeful long balls, which
    the home defence lapped up. Sessegnon pulled Weimann down in the box but the referee
    ignored it and penalised Weimann for his subsequent tackle. Vydra had a chance to pull the
    ball back to team mates queuing up ing in the box but he chose to shoot from a very difficult
    angle. A couple more Derby attacks in added time were well contained by Fulham.
    FT Fulham 2–0 Derby (2-1 on aggregate)

This was a brave effort by Derby but, as expected, Fulham’s attacking quality won in the end.
    If the manager continues with more attacking tactics next season, the Rams should have a
    good foundation to build on.

Last edited by RRC on Mon 14 May 2018, 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2769
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Re: Fulham 2-0 Derby SECOND LEG playoff reports and comments (2-1 on aggregate)

Post by Calif_Ramette on Mon 14 May 2018, 9:59 pm

Never expected to win the tie realistically. Anya was utter shite, Hudds was invisible, tactics were wrong and Wiemann can't control a ball to save his life. Need to get rid of some dead weight and bring some youngsters in. Onto next season.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14463
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 14 May 2018, 10:16 pm

said all week don't defend deep. We did. We lost. Congrats Fulham you deserved it.

Wisdom should have gone with Sessegnon for their first. 2nd was a free header from Odoi.

Defending deep, not pressing in MF was always going to fail. Wrong tactics IMO.

One thing is certain, we have to get things sorted so that we attack more next season and don't let the oppo attack at will by giving them the midfield without a fight.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5636
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 14 May 2018, 10:28 pm

Yes, Wisdon saw Ryan.

But he ended up in an area where , as usual, RK was two or three yards away from where he should have been.

Look at the back line. Then look at RK. Think on. Its basic. Time, time and time again.

Make no mistake, he is not the reason why we lost, but he was always going to leave a space there.

It is with great regret, but no surprise, that my Ar£e is safe again in Woollies, until 2022.
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5636
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 14 May 2018, 10:28 pm

Get rid.
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 760
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Mon 14 May 2018, 10:47 pm

Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread:

Total bummer. The match went how I expected. We executed our game plan well at home, but were lucky, as we'd have to be to beat a better side over 180 minutes. Tonight we started brightly passing forward, and throughout the first half Fulham's frustration at missed chances built. We made some opportunities in front of goal, but never could get that clear shot on target. I was certain going in to tonight that the team which scored first would win. Had we nicked one before halftime I think that would have held true. Jerome's decision to shoot from distance rather than release Johnson coming up to his left with space or try to find Anya's feet to his right may have been the moment of the night. He chose wrong and fluffed a good move.

I thought that GR's team sheet was right, except that I might have dared to start Nugent and bring Vydra and Jerome on both at 60 exactly. The ever-cautious GR delayed the change nine minutes too long, in my opinion. At 60 minutes it was still level. By 69 it was clearly Fulham's night. Surely the game plan was to hold off our most dangerous attacker until he could enter the tie with fresh legs and the game still there for the taking. That was still true at 1-1, but how could you not see on the hour mark that every second ticking by brought Fulham's inevitable winner closer? We had to do something decisive then or never. In the end, it was never.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 15 May 2018, 8:43 am

We made mistakes. Tactics, players decisions etc etc.

I just hope that that doesn't detract from the fact that, over the 180+ minutes, the best team won and I wish them well in the Final.
    outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1253
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Tue 15 May 2018, 10:02 am

best team won and deserve it more than we do over the course of the season.

disappointed a bit yes but this should give a little hope going forward as it has for me, now I again start re-saving for 2018-19 season challenges ahead.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23268
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Tue 15 May 2018, 11:57 am

Not going to lay the blame at any individuals door.
    They were by far the best team by a country mile in both games.
    Pity Friday wasn’t the final as we obviously proved that you can work your ass off get somewhat lucky and pull off a result in a one off game.
    But quality will kill you over two legs and we did not have enough quality at the back in the middle or up front.
    Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say you were beaten by the better team.

Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 755
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Tue 15 May 2018, 12:03 pm

We finished exactly where I thought we would - in the playoffs. We fared exactly how I thought we would once in the playoffs. I'm not really disappointed as I'd sooner lose in the semifinal than the final. There are things this squad needs in the summer and hopefully Gary sees them too. The biggest question is will Gary have enough financial backing to get the players he wants.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11512
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 15 May 2018, 1:06 pm

New England Ram wrote:Not going to lay the blame at any individuals door.
    They were by far the best team by a country mile in both games.
    Pity Friday wasn’t the final as we obviously proved that you can work your ass off get somewhat lucky and pull off a result in a one off game.
    But quality will kill you over two legs and we did not have enough quality at the back in the middle or up front.
    Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say you were beaten by the better team.

Absolutely spot on.

No one person carries the can for last night, the best team won, which is as it should be in the normal scheme of things.
    old ewe

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 642
    Registration date : 2012-05-20

Post by old ewe on Tue 15 May 2018, 4:23 pm

Bit of a relief really. We are no better equipped to go up that we were last time. And look how that turned out !!
    New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23268
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Tue 15 May 2018, 5:12 pm

By the way two cynical fouls by them in the first half that resulted in no yellow cards but they would undoubtedly been had it been a league game.

DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Tue 15 May 2018, 5:49 pm

I watched this all on my own at the Ashford International Truckstop in Kent. I was on a night-out delivery route in my truck, and knew it would be shown there, so went out of my way to get there. Sadly no-one was interested in the footy (unsurprising really - its location means that most truckers are Johnny Foreigner).

Although full-on Rams fans were supposed to be gutted, I actually wasn't surprised. What has surprised me is that I don't have any particular criticism of the ref, this time! There were decisions (or lack of them) which went against us, but Fulham could, and probably should have had a penalty when Mitrovic was thrown to the floor by Davies - naughty boy! However, he could have cracked down a bit more on the cynical fouls that Fulham kept committing. But overall, not much to worry about. Maybe that's just my age showing!

Rowett stated pre-match that we wouldn't be trying to defend a 1-0 lead, but would be looking to go out and win the match. That is a bit difficult to do when you only have 5 shots, with only one of those on target, and spend the bulk of the match in your own half.

In the end, as many on here have already said, we were beaten by a better side, and it was apparent almost all over the pitch. It is hard to apply sustained attacking pressure when we aren't able to pass the ball to our own players on a consistent basis, so any attack tended to very quickly end up with the ball coming straight back at us. But when you are really well paid as a professional footballer, being able to pass the ball to a team-mate. and more often than not get your shot on target at to be second nature.

Several times I have questioned why opposition teams do seem to be able to find their team mates with the ball way, way better than Derby do - it is not as though we aren't capable - some of our passing moves on Friday night were excellent  just that it is not a regular feature. Similarly with heading - you knew that when a Fulham player headed the  ball, it was likely to be directed to a team mate, whereas we simply ..... headed it ....... somewhere. And last night, somewhere happened to be open areas of the pitch being patrolled by a Fulham player.

Part of our undoing was hoping that we could replicate our excellent defensive performance from Friday night, which was a big ask. In the end, we couldn't manage to stay quite so tight on them as we did on Friday, and concentration wasn't quite so keen.

Unlike our representative from California, I thought Anya was pretty good last night, showing plenty of pace, some good crosses, and was often in the right place, should we have been better at passing the ball!

Ultimately, I believe the match wasn't lost on the pitch = it was lost from the moment that Rowett sat Palmer on the bench, YET AGAIN. And yet again, once he was brought onto the pitch, too late and with the game already gone, he made an immediate impact, and all of a sudden we carried some menace. He actually keeps the ball well, can b eat his man, can pass the ball, and can spot an opening which will open things up, all things which we needed more of last night. I doubt we will see him playing for us again, and who can blame him, or his club. What a colossal waste of talent, sacrificed on the altar of kick and rush.

There have to be changes next season, even if we can hold this squad together. We are an ageing squad, but maybe have one more season in us as it stands. However, Rowett has been told that he has budget considerations above anything else which means selling, and we already know that no-one wants our dead-wood. Nervy summer, methinks!

On the upside, many of us didn't actually expect much this year, with there being a number of us merely expecting a top 10 finish, so there has been plenty to enjoy and get excited about, amongst all the angst and frustration. It has actually been a hell of a ride, but we all knew that the roller-coaster was going to stop not too far from where we got onto it at the start of the season.

Oh well - a few weeks rest, including watching England not win the World cup, and then off we go again.

COME ON YOU RAMS, I suppose.
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2426
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Tue 15 May 2018, 6:13 pm

To get to the playoffs was a great achievement after the run we had, and after the Burton defeat it seemed light years away, the first leg back to the walls win was a great night, gritty game where the game plan was spot on.
    Last night the first half was ok, and you could tell we were playing for a draw, there deserved equaliser was coming and you could see another one was coming, our end ball was terrible and for how much weimann and Anya run, the final ball was awful.
    Fulham deserved the win and were the better team so no complaints there, it’s just when your losing and have 5, 10 minutes to go for it, we didn’t and couldn’t, that’s my only gripe.
    Next season will be interesting and I can see vydra and others going to raise funds, it’s going to be interesting and back to the GSE era.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 16 May 2018, 8:35 am

DavesaRam wrote:In the end, as many on here have already said, we were beaten by a better side, and it was apparent almost all over the pitch. It is hard to apply sustained attacking pressure when we aren't able to pass the ball to our own players on a consistent basis, so any attack tended to very quickly end up with the ball coming straight back at us. But when you are really well paid as a professional footballer, being able to pass the ball to a team-mate. and more often than not get your shot on target at to be second nature.

Several times I have questioned why opposition teams do seem to be able to find their team mates with the ball way, way better than Derby do - it is not as though we aren't capable - some of our passing moves on Friday night were excellent just that it is not a regular feature. Similarly with heading - you knew that when a Fulham player headed the ball, it was likely to be directed to a team mate, whereas we simply ..... headed it ....... somewhere. And last night, somewhere happened to be open areas of the pitch being patrolled by a Fulham player.

This has been a common feature of many of our games this season. I have commented on it in the past. The answer to why is simple, Pressing. We utilise zonal defending and it works, no zone has scored against us this season, however, it also means we aren't marking players so they are available to receive a pass which makes it easy for the man on the ball to find a team mate. We also fail to put pressure on the man with the ball and he is therefore not harried/rushed into a pass which has more chance of failure. Put them under pressure and force errors. When you think back as to how often this has been done, effectively, to us this season, you have to wonder why it hasn't occurred to GR and his staff that it is a good tactic.......
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Wed 16 May 2018, 5:15 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    DavesaRam wrote:In the end, as many on here have already said, we were beaten by a better side, and it was apparent almost all over the pitch. It is hard to apply sustained attacking pressure when we aren't able to pass the ball to our own players on a consistent basis, so any attack tended to very quickly end up with the ball coming straight back at us. But when you are really well paid as a professional footballer, being able to pass the ball to a team-mate. and more often than not get your shot on target at to be second nature.

Several times I have questioned why opposition teams do seem to be able to find their team mates with the ball way, way better than Derby do - it is not as though we aren't capable - some of our passing moves on Friday night were excellent  just that it is not a regular feature. Similarly with heading - you knew that when a Fulham player headed the  ball, it was likely to be directed to a team mate, whereas we simply ..... headed it ....... somewhere. And last night, somewhere happened to be open areas of the pitch being patrolled by a Fulham player.

This has been a common feature of many of our games this season. I have commented on it in the past. The answer to why is simple, Pressing. We utilise zonal defending and it works, no zone has scored against us this season, however, it also means we aren't marking players so they are available to receive a pass which makes it easy for the man on the ball to find a team mate. We also fail to put pressure on the man with the ball and he is therefore not harried/rushed into a pass which has more chance of failure. Put them under pressure and force errors. When you think back as to how often this has been done, effectively, to us this season, you have to wonder why it hasn't occurred to GR and his staff that it is a good tactic.......

Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 25 May 2018, 3:49 am