New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23340
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

50 years

Post by New England Ram on Tue 15 May 2018, 7:16 pm

Next season will be 50 years since our glorious 1968/69 promotion under Clough and Taylor.
    My first ever season as a Rams fan and consequently my favourite all time Rams team.
    Let’s replicate that kit..replicate that teams achievment and get promoted next season ...come on Super Rams

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11586
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Re: 50 years

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 15 May 2018, 10:29 pm

That would be nice
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1337
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Wed 16 May 2018, 6:40 am

I have some of that too
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14627
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Wed 16 May 2018, 8:26 am

Yes please.
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3886
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Wed 16 May 2018, 10:47 am

New England Ram wrote:Next season will be 50 years since our glorious 1968/69 promotion under Clough and Taylor.
    My first ever season as a Rams fan and consequently my favourite all time Rams team.
    Let’s replicate that kit..replicate that teams achievment and get promoted next season ...come on Super Rams

Fifty years ! Where did they go ? But I totally agree. It was a magical time to be a young Rams fan and it was often hard to believe how good we were.

We watched Kevin Hector scoring goals, Willie Carlin running the midfield, and Dave Mackay giving a weekly master class in defending to Roy Mac, John Robson and Ronnie Webster. Some of the football we played that season would have graced the First Division, which we went on to prove.

When asked what was his favourite of all his achievements in football Brian Clough  said "Winning the 2nd Division Championship with Derby" and you don't argue with the master.

I feel very privileged to have been around during that wonderful time.

rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2268
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Wed 16 May 2018, 11:40 am

Re-incarnate Dave Mac, Clone Roy Mac, King Kev, Webster, in fact all of them would be an upgrade on what we have.

I was only born in November 1968 but my dad kept the telegraph special review of the season and I have it somewhere
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4845
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Wed 16 May 2018, 12:16 pm

bramhallram wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:Next season will be 50 years since our glorious 1968/69 promotion under Clough and Taylor.

Fifty years ! Where did they go ? But I totally agree. It was a magical time to be a young Rams fan and it was often hard to believe how good we were.

We watched Kevin Hector scoring goals, Willie Carlin running the midfield, and Dave Mackay giving a weekly master class in defending to Roy Mac, John Robson and Ronnie Webster. Some of the football we played that season would have graced the First Division, which we went on to prove.

When asked what was his favourite of all his achievements in football Brian Clough  said "Winning the 2nd Division Championship with Derby" and you don't argue with the master.

I feel very privileged to have been around during that wonderful time.

Just leaving my teens behind and playing myself then until an injury interrupted my footballing endeavours so was able to watch that glorious era and agree with your player approval though I wouid add the "supply master" Alan Hinton and the player for me who invented the "late run" into the area from midfield (wing half in those days) Alan Durban. And yes Bram, 50 years? Where?
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Wed 16 May 2018, 5:25 pm

49 years for me - my uncle was supposed to take me to a match in the promotion season, but it was frozen off - can't remember who against. So my debut was against Spurs in our first season in the top flight. What a debut! 5 - 0, and the biggest Baseball ground crowd ever!.

I too looked in my Years bank account and noticed that 50 of them seem to have disappeared from the closing balance, and i have no idea where to!

We must be just a bunch of old farts, but we love the Rams!
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Wed 16 May 2018, 9:10 pm

We are vintage Dave

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 17 May 2018, 7:42 am

Derby fan since birth, first game aged 7 so, depending on your preferred choice of starting date it's either 64 or 57 years for me. At least 2 other posters on here can beat my numbers.
    rayebbram1

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2014-12-02

Post by rayebbram1 on Thu 17 May 2018, 10:28 am

The first game I can vividly remember seeing was the Derby vs Liverpool game in 1961, we won 2 - 0 Hutchinson & Curry, I was 10 years old at the time and was standing in the Boys Pen. This was a 2nd division game and Liverpool were promoted that year, funny how the memory plays tricks, I could have sworn that Lawrence was the goalkeeper but the article states Bill Slater.

A great article about the game is on the Derby Telegraph web site, it remains 2nd in my greatest DCFC games after the Chelsea league cup game, we was there!!!

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/day-derby-county-competed-equal-1363190

Always enjoy reminiscing about the old DCFC days

outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1337
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Thu 17 May 2018, 12:53 pm

supported since 71 as I lived in Merthyr a friend of my dads who worked for him came from from Ripley used to bring me down scarves and the old ram newspaper, then we went on to win the league... I was the only ram in the village lol

My first proper game was v Liverpool at Anfield we got battered 5-0 my dad took us in Liverpool end with me wearing derby scarf and later attacked by young scouce f@ckers .. what a crap day, hate Liverpool since lol that was 78 i believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt7I0kms0b0
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3886
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Thu 17 May 2018, 1:27 pm

rayebbram1 wrote:The first game I can vividly remember seeing was the Derby vs Liverpool game in 1961, we won 2 - 0  Hutchinson & Curry, I was 10 years old at the time and was standing in the Boys Pen. This was a 2nd division game and Liverpool were promoted that year, funny how the memory plays tricks, I could have sworn that Lawrence was the goalkeeper but the article states Bill Slater.

A great article about the game is on the Derby Telegraph web site, it remains 2nd in my greatest DCFC games after the Chelsea league cup game, we was there!!!

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/day-derby-county-competed-equal-1363190

Always enjoy reminiscing about the old DCFC days

I was also at that game, my second game ever and also in the Boys Pen with some schoolmates. Liverpool were top of the league, and there was a much bigger crowd than usual. Who would have thought we'd be swapping memories of it nearly sixty years later ?

I had an uncle from Liverpool who always came to their game with us, and I remember him being very angry about losing. The big talking point was the crunching foul by Yeats on Bill Curry that sent the Derby player crashing into the Popside and going off on a stretcher. Bad losers, then as now.

I don't think Mick Hopkinson ever played better than he did that day.

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6382

Post by CornwallRam on Thu 17 May 2018, 1:53 pm

My Dad first took be to the BBG for a couple of games in the spring of 72 as a four year old. I got my first season ticket for the 74-75 season.

My early years as a Derby fan taught me several things -

*Derby County are the best team in the country.

*Football matches smell of Bovril and cigar smoke.

*It's best not to drink too much pop at football or you'll have to use the BBG toilet.

*Derby County play in white shirts, navy blue shorts and white socks.
    [/list]

Forty-six years on I still maintain those beliefs. I can say with absolute certainty that we'll never get promoted or return to our rightful position at the top of the pile until the other three criterion are met.

So Mel should install fragrance devices to pump out the heady aroma of cigars and Bovril. Remove the cubicle doors and flood the floors of the toilets with an inch or so of rancid yellow liquid. And most importantly, get rid of the Maxwell curse by bringing back the proper Clough colours.

Simple.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Thu 17 May 2018, 11:18 pm

CornwallRam wrote:

My Dad first took be to the BBG for a couple of games in the spring of 72 as a four year old. I got my first season ticket for the 74-75 season.

My early years as a Derby fan taught me several things -

*Derby County are the best team in the country.

*Football matches smell of Bovril and cigar smoke.

*It's best not to drink too much pop at football or you'll have to use the BBG toilet.

*Derby County play in white shirts, navy blue shorts and white socks.
    [/list]

Forty-six years on I still maintain those beliefs. I can say with absolute certainty that we'll never get promoted or return to our rightful position at the top of the pile until the other three criterion are met.

So Mel should install fragrance devices to pump out the heady aroma of cigars and Bovril. Remove the cubicle doors and flood the floors of the toilets with an inch or so of rancid yellow liquid. And most importantly, get rid of the Maxwell curse by bringing back the proper Clough colours.

Simple.

LOL

Took me years to realize one of the very first smells I associated with the BBG was pipe smoke..
    There was always the smell of mud if you got in when the gates opened ( which you had to) before the other smells of matchday filtered in.
    Could smell Leys of course..but there was always this other smell I associated with those early days.
    Then one day years ago I sat next to a bloke on the underground who lit up a pipe and it all came back to me.

Great days..dad used to drop me off at the boys end..he was three rows directly back of the clock in the Ossie upper...he would meet me at the sweet shop across from the boys end after the game.
    Quick ten minute walk back to the car parked in one of a 100 identical streets and I would marvel at him navigating his way through all the back streets to dodge the traffic.

Home in time for Doctor Who and Dixon of Dock Green...Happy Times Happy Times !

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14680
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Fri 18 May 2018, 9:54 pm

Talking of 50, I’m 50 at the end of June Shocked LOL roll
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sat 19 May 2018, 2:28 am

chicken wrote:Talking of 50, I’m 50 at the end of June Shocked LOL roll

celebration

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sat 19 May 2018, 8:30 am

I will refrain from "spring chicken" quips. We are all as old as we feel and I, despite the aches and pains that advancing years bring, feel quite sprightly when the body allows.

Keep on keepin' on Chickadee.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 19 Jul 2018, 7:42 pm